If it's not real, you can't hold it in your hand
[html]

She had been surprised that the old staircases had been intact; often in the past she'd had to scale the buildings from the outside to be able to reach the tops of them. This building was different, though, it would seem. The foundation was concrete, but it must have been reinforced with something to help it stand up better and keep it from crumbling as easily as some of the other dilapidated heaps that surrounded it. She appreciated this fact immensely; Ember had been searching out a building like this for a few nights. Sunset had come and gone, but that wasn't what she was most interested in seeing from atop the skyscrapers of Halifax. It was the night sky that captivated her.

The female observed the area surrounding the building, on the lookout for other canines. Bayard would be fine sleeping in the yard beneath the willow tree that stood there - he would be virtually unseen, and could always whinny for help should he require it. The stallion had good fighting instincts, for a horse, and had helped her in many-a-battle out on the road. She walked her horse over to the tree, taking the blanket from his back and helping him get settled in for the night before exiting the safety of the branches once more. She was skilled with the sword, but occasionally small thoughts crept into her mind at night - bits of fear over the darkness that surrounded her and what it hid. She made for the front door of the building, digging her claws in and beginning to try and pry it open.

[/html]
[html]
the baffled king composing

Mostly introspection post! Only the last paragraph is relevant.

370 words

Levent Kartal learned much and more in this sleeping city, and from all of the unexpected sources. As he reclined in the shade of a tree, once no more than a sapling on a median, he breathed deeply and thought. He smelled of mildew and hot asphalt, dust from old tables and traces of evaporated oil from old cars, and of his own rich scent mixed with that of cats.

The white tom noticed as much as he curled up against his ribs, hesitating and drinking in the smell as he woke before relaxing. It had been obvious how little he thought of other felines; the uncomfortable apathy had been amusing when they met with the kittens and with the intelligent Element, however briefly they’d crossed paths. While the luperci was eager to seek out the black cat again, Wilson probably wouldn’t dream of it.

Lev wondered if he was to blame for that. In London, there had been plenty of cat families, but Wilson had bonded to him rather than remain with his kin. He became too wolfish to stay with cats, and too cattish to stay with wolves. He understood the luperci life, watched it daily through sand-colored eyes, but he was shunned from anything more.

Idly, the man ran his cream fingers over the cat’s scruff. A purr rumbled through his sleep, at least until the gentle caresses became little rousing scratches behind his ears. The skyscrapers were outlined with brilliant red from the hidden sun, and the eastern sky had gone dark. As comfortable as he was, he knew that they had to find somewhere better to sleep; he hadn’t yet risked meeting the creatures who prowled Halifax at night.

Wilson woke and began to pad after him on soft sleepy feet, but eventually the Turkish wolf smirked and scooped him up in his arms. He moved slowly through the streets and appraised the buildings as he passed them, trying to find one sturdy and secure but not impossible to get into. Pale blue eyes regarded about a dozen doors before the scent of a wolf wafted to his nose; he squinted in the darkness and let out a low woof to question the other’s presence.

<style>
@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Metamorphous);
.levbaff {width:98%; max-width:598px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/I8P0v.png); background-color:#DBCFC3; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; margin:0px auto; border:#000 1px solid; border-radius:30px; color:#000; font-family: 'Palatino Linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size: 14px; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.levbaff .tagline {color:#fff; font-family:'Metamorphous', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size:30px; text-align:center; opacity: 0.8; margin:20px; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px; }
.levbaff p {text-indent:0px; padding:3px 15px;}
.levbaff b {color:#000; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px; opacity: 0.7;}
.levbaff b.cat {color:#fff; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px; opacity: 1;}
.levbaff p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:12px; padding:0px 15px;}
.levbaff p.wordcount {font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; margin:0px 15px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Ember had no luck with the door, and took a few steps back after her initial failure. She was tired from the day's ride and her eyelids drooped a bit as she forced herself to have one final look around the place. She located a crowbar laying off in the grass and started toward it, returning the door once she had the metal object in her grasp. Her spirit guide Utriu, who needed no sleep, chattered endlessly in her ear as pushed the crowbar into the crack in the doorframe and began to push. She answered the spirit in a normal tone, her alto voice carrying over the yard around her. To an outsider, it would seem like an odd conversation indeed; rather one-sided. The spirit was able to maintain invisibility at will, and speaking very quietly to her despite his excited tone and quick words. "Yes, I do like crab. I had it once. No. I really did...y'don't remember? You were there, you great lummox of a - !" Ember's voice was cut off by a nearby vocalization, and she swallowed hard before turning her head in the stranger's direction.

A great cracking sound from the door frame announced that her breaking-and-entering adventure was nearly finished. The rusted screws came out of the surrounding fixtures with another yank, and she was able to remove the entire door. The tall female placed it on the crumbling stairs next to her, standing back and placing one hand on the hilt of her longsword. The other canine had announced their presence with that woof, but she was having trouble locating them with her eyes. It was getting too dark to differentiate many things around her, now, shadows melting together as the sun sank farther over the horizon. "I heard you...whoever you are. Are you a friend, or a foe?" She called, walking cautiously around the now-useless door to stare out into the dark street.

[/html]
[html]

285 words

He thought he could hear a voice yammering on as he approached the building, but as he heard the loud crack of wood, Levent figured it had been out of frustration. He jumped at the sound, and Wilson rocketed up onto his shoulder with his white tail puffed out like a bottlebrush, but the man had become familiar with the sound of doors breaking off during his escapades in Europe and relaxed shortly, murmuring little mews of comfort to the feline. It was harder to get the jumpy cat to calm down, but at least he felt safer on his perch on Lev’s shoulder—which was all too used to the pain of cat claws digging into his flesh.

Shadowed by the buildings around them, the wolf continued to walk forward. Smell told him that the stranger was a lone female, though that didn’t mean she couldn’t be a threat. He remained hopeful, however, keeping his distance as his blue eyes peered into the darkness. When she spoke again, he laughed, and stepped closer so that both of them could get an eyeful of the other.

“I’m whoever you want me to be,” Levent said in theatric tones, his short body bending in a low bow that had the feline scrambling for balance. He managed a grin, rising slowly, a gold hoop at the base of his dark ear jiggling—but it was then he noticed the hilt of a sword at her hip, where her dark hand rested. Altogether she looked the part of royalty from his corner of the world, decorated by human clothing, her weapons’ belt well-made. His smile grew curious and impressed, but he spoke casually. “Can you use that, tatlım?”

<style>
.levbaff {width:98%; max-width:598px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/I8P0v.png); background-color:#DBCFC3; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; margin:0px auto; border:#000 1px solid; border-radius:30px; color:#000; font-family: 'Palatino Linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size: 14px; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.levbaff .tagline {color:#fff; font-family:'Metamorphous', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size:30px; text-align:center; opacity: 0.8; margin:20px; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px; }
.levbaff p.wordcount {font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; margin:0px 15px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
My apologies for the long wait ;_; <33 Life likes to suck me of my muse quite often.

Her heart beat wildly in her chest, though she tried to will it to slow down a bit when she finally caught sight of him. This one didn't look all that dangerous, though she knew that looks could be deceiving. She wore her weapons out in the open, but many others would prefer to conceal theirs or stab their opponent in the back instead. The wind was against her this time, keeping the other's scent a mystery as they gazed upon each other. Her own smell practically screamed "LONER", a mixture of various scents without any sticking out longer than the others.

The willowy female leaned against the wrought-iron railing that led down to the bottom of the steps, contemplating her next move. His words reached her ears and she frowned slightly, unsure of his meaning. "I don't need anyone." She said, watching his bow with her arms crossed over her chest. She had no intention of bowing in return, not wanting to leave herself open to a possible attack despite the handsome male's cheeky words and seemingly cheerful demeanor.

Ember's brow furrowed even further when he asked about Lightning, the jewel-encrusted work of art that lay against her hip. Her clawed fingers went to grasp the hilt of the blade, drawing it from the sheath as she leaped down from the stairs in his direction. "One would be a fool to wear a blade that they couldn't use and use well" She spoke, standing straight once more and re-sheathing the weapon.

"And I'm no fool. I'm Ember Phoenix...from...everywhere. And nowhere." She had no pack, nor want of one. Packs got complicated, and there were responsibilities and other things that took up a canine's free time. She was fine with just serving herself and Bayard, living on whatever schedule she felt like sticking to for that day and answering to no one.

[/html]
[html]

It's all good! I was a bit swamped myself earlier. >__>

263 words

The woman said that she didn’t need anyone, and Levent laughed. “Even the most solitary of creatures need someone,” he retorted, passing on from one cliché to the other. He gestured somewhat at his feline companion as he spoke. He was pretty sure someone would go insane without another beast to talk to every once in a while, though she was apparently trying hard to go through at least this hour that way. Something told him he might have come at a bad time, or maybe she was just wary.

But Lev didn’t really think himself that dangerous. Now, those he occasionally ran with…

Her hand reached for the sword as he teasingly pointed it out, and he took a step back at the glimmer of the steel as she unsheathed it. He nodded curtly at her explanation, even as Wilson mewled weakly and dropped down to crouch safely behind him. “Where’d you get it?” the Turkish wolf asked, open curiosity and even a bit of awe creeping into his voice. It would help if he sounded genuinely curious rather than coveting, though; he had no need of a sword, and while she didn’t know that, she might worry he’d steal it. Not that it wouldn’t fetch a pretty penny…

“I’m Levent Kartal, from just about everywhere on the other side of the sea, and from absolutely nowhere on this side.” He grinned teasingly, shoving his hands in his pockets casually. “I didn’t think you were a fool, Ember. A fool might be more welcoming.” He hinted at her wariness with some amusement.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

"I suppose that life without Bayard wouldn't be quite as exciting" She said dryly, giving a small smile. Horses weren't particularly interesting, but Bayard had a personality of his own that often entertained her during her life of solitude. She'd gained the horse in AniWaya and he'd chosen to stick with her, for reasons unknown to her. She wasn't great company and couldn't find anything to say much of the time. The stallion seemed to enjoy traveling more than staying in one place, though, and that was enough for her. "Though I'm sure a handsome rogue like yerself has the pretties lining up for 'im. Never a lonesome night"

He seemed intrigued by the blade, much as she had when she'd first seen it. It had caught her attention and had put her into what had seemed to be a sort of trance; she'd watched the jewels glitter and shine in the light for around ten minutes before she could even bring herself to touch it, back then. It had been so beautiful that she'd almost been afraid to put it in her hands. "I have little experience with finding friendships out in the wild reaches of Halifax...but plenty of experience finding bandits, murderers, and thieves. A girl has to be willing to defend herself if she chooses to travel these parts." She said, trying to explain her slightly-paranoid behavior. "I got her from a castle down to the Southwest of here. It was in a room beneath the castle, inside a malfunctioning old vault".

The dark-furred wolf was willing to talk, especially to someone friendly who hadn't shown any signs of aggression. "I notice you've got a companion, yourself there. I haven't seen one of those critters in a while, and never traveling with wolves. Almost ate one or two of them back when I first left my home pack" They'd been the only food source in the city at that time, besides pigeons. And pigeons she didn't much care for.

[/html]
[html]

365 words

The other mentioned a companion named Bayard, but Levent made no comment on it; she had proven his point for him, and he wasn’t going to be too annoying toward the woman, even if he might border on being so. This Ember seemed to be able to hold her own on that account, however; she matched each of his remarks with a wry one of her own.

Her comment about him not being lonesome had him grinning. “Now that’s just unrealistic,” he said, overplaying his modesty even if it was true. He didn’t like to think of himself as a manwhore, but the man never said no—but other than one potentially sociopathic individual, not many in Nova Scotia had thrown themselves at him. Even if they wanted to, he was sure his little feline guardian would have something unpleasant to say about it—and he wanted to stay on the tom’s good side ever since the last incident with the merchant woman. For now, at least. Until the next pretty got in line.

The dark woman justified her wariness, and he nodded in understanding. “My father was a trader,” he said quietly, his voice less colorful and embellished as he slipped in this serious remark. “He was killed by brigands on the road, so I understand.” His lips split in a grin, and he was back to himself as he finished: “But when I’m encountered by murderers and thieves, I usually just talk them to death.” It wasn’t really too far from the truth (minus the “to death” part), seeing as he found it easier to babble to get out of a hot spot than spill blood. He simply wasn’t that good of a fighter.

He shook his head as she explained the origin of the sword, only muttering, “You’re lucky, tatlım,” but her sudden attention toward the white cat had his ears pricking. Her remark about eating them made the male’s smile vanish, his claws tightening on his crossed arms. His pleasantness returned a second later—albeit a bit forced. “That’s the fate I saved Wilson from, actually.” His blue eyes narrowed. “Everyone underestimates how intelligent cats are. Equal to luperci, I’d guess.”

<style>
</style>
[/html]