These Words Are My Own
[html]
I'm assuming Strel's in his studio? >_<

Well, it had only taken him forever-and-a-half, but he was finally going through with what he likely should've done the moment he was accepted into Cour des Miracles. He knew he loved Strel for a long time now--and what an odd way it had been realized, too--but he had only recently thought to court the man. And not just courting like talking and getting to know one another, but what his native tribe defined as 'courting'. In a sense he had already completed one of the four stages--which was known as the Gift of Drink--by giving Strel the wine, which had been accepted. Now, perhaps Strel didn't know what accepting the four gifts meant, but... The grey warrior would think that with the last gift--and maybe if he got wise on him in the next two--Strel would be suspicious enough to ask.

So saying he had returned the previous day having found a Harp Seal by the beach. The animal was unconventional for a courting ritual, as his had not been a coastal tribe, but he had to make do with what he had, and he did not fancy getting lost outside of the pack lands on the search for elk. The seal was, he had to admit, pretty in color; pallid grey and white, spotted near the tail, and soft with its still-shedding winter coat. At least the man had caught them before their coats grew too thin, otherwise the skin would be less luxurious when properly removed from the animal. The gifts of his native tribe's courting were to be of fine quality, of course, otherwise the chance of a potential mate turning him down increased. But thus far he found himself fine. He even had an ace up his sleeve from when Ralla had last visited...and brought gifts. Leave it to my sister to collect things like a magpie, he mused, although he was not complaining in his particular situation.

Outside of the hotel he sat, properly cleaning the animal in the back where the messy business wouldn't bother anyone and he could properly dispose of the waste material among the trees, where it would nurture the plant life instead. An important aspect of being a hunter was to know that your food was not a sacrifice, but a savior, and was to be treated as such. Not disposing of what one did not use was seen as wasteful and disrespectful, so he always tried to at least keep the business tidy. The man, while not an expert skinner or craftsman, had managed the day before to render the skin from the seal and stretch it between a frame of wooden branches so that it would dry. The meat he had salted with what he could find in the pantry laid next to him in a bag as he took some ocean water from a bucket and rinsed the stretched skin repeatedly to wear off the smell, which was beginning to get less and less pungent the more oils he banished from the fur. For a day and a half it was turning out to be a fine gift indeed.

The skin was ready by late afternoon, so Noss needed only to quickly fetch the last gift from their room--cleverly hidden under the mattress and in a brown bag--before he got the skin and dried meat. He did so and then brought the gifts to the studio, where he heard Strel busily working on some sort of clothing piece that, really, Noss couldn't fathom. He knew about certain clothing pieces, but others just seemed a bother to wear. But he did not question Strel's profession or its art--for it was that--and quite often admired the work his lover put into the projects. It had hit him a long time ago that what he was doing was foolhardy and blunt--he was just that kind of person anyway--and so his conscience was clear and firm when he knocked on the door while peeking his head in.

Warrior walks. "Warrior talks." Warrior thinks.

[/html]
[html]
300+
actually listened to simple and clean for this post >< fml. sorry for length/quality. just tired but knew i had to crap something out. also I was going to reply to the other stuff today but.. :| well we see how well i have

This time, it was a vest, and the redheaded man was finding it hard to mimic the design he had found in a yellowing, rotting magazine. The outside had been a matte cloth and the inside some kind of shimmery or something material and the man found himself baffled. He did not know what either was, though he was trying his damnedest to get it right. So far, he had gone through three sets of cloth back to back. He tried velvet, silk, cotton, blend, and it was still looking pretty crappy. Though the silk was a rare cloth type he had to trade in, the man was pissing it away like it was made of leaves.

Strel swore at the current square of cloth, turning it back and forth. The red cloth was more shiny than he liked, but it looked well with the dark, black silken inner material. It would have to do for now. There was no time to go off into Halifax and go through depleting stores of bolts. His own hoarding of it was huge now, after raiding the city so often. The neighboring room in the hotel was now solely a closet / storage area for him. Noss was probably terrified of the sheerness that was his closet. But most of it was women's clothes, and he did not wear those. The rest was either his own wardrobe or tall, full bolts of many colored cloth. There were piles of human clothes that would not fit a luperci, but he had it for the material, design, and tailoring potential.

But this was getting annoying. The man stuck the needle into the cloth to hold it in place and started to fumble with bobbins and thread swatches. He just found a dark red thread that was perfect when Noss knocked on his open door and peered in. Strel looked up, a slight smile on his face at the man's presence. Putting down the thread, he leaned back in his chair. "Well, hello, stranger," he greeted, waving the man in.

<style>
.simplesea .ooc {font-style:italic;text-align:center; padding:0px 20px;color:#9aada6; }
.simplesea p {padding:3px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:20px;}
.simplesea b {color:#d0c7bd; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#a5aa9e 0em .1em 0em; }
.simplesea .line1 {width:250px; border-bottom:1px dotted #a5aa9e ; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.simplesea {background-color:#867c68; background-image: url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... each-2.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #a2aea6; font-family: tahoma, serif; font-size:11px; color:#bdd0c9; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:12px; width:420px; text-align:justify; }
.simplesea-border {width:422px; border:1px solid #bdd0c9; margin:0 auto;}
.simplesea .inner {margin:60px 33px 10px 33px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... inner2.png); border:1px solid #9aada6; border-radius:10px;-moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Pffft XD It's alright; it's like, I want to spree really bad, but I don't think my chances with that will be so good since I'm on vacation now >_< And yes; Noss is terrified that he'll be swallowed alive by the mountain of clothes in Strel's closet XD (You have no idea how awkward I felt writing this fail-post...I have no clue how a manly-man would handle this >///< Hence awkward-Rachel makes awkward-Noss) Note: The tribe that Ralla and Noss come from speak a form of Cherokee, so hover over the words for translations Tongue

Being given the okay--Noss was often careful when Strel was working, since the likelihood of him becoming a moving target if he disturbed something important was very high--Noss came in with all the gifts in tow. But really, how to begin the exchange? Casually, of course. He went over to one of the chairs sitting opposite of Strel and sat, placing the leather bag with the final gift on the floor next to the dried meat.

"Strelein," he replied, maybe a little too formally. Originally, this courting would've taken place over the span of a few days--a week or so, even--but here was this big ol' brute trying to do it in one fell swoop. You'd think he was an adolescent trying to confess to his first crush. Well, in a way, Strelein was his first crush... Oh, moon, he hated being awkward and all the things it entailed... A little oddly he held out the seal skin first, and if there had been no fur on his cheeks, one would be aghast to find a light tint of pink coloring them. "L-le..." he began a little awkwardly, not quite making eye contact with Strel as he semi-mumbled out the words, "ye ci Elun un Hi, el wapazo mitawa wico iye un hayake." For Noss, it was much easier for him to say what needed to be said in his native tongue--guttural and non-understandable as it was. So long as Strelein physically took the gifts, the courting would be considered valid. Call the grey warrior old fashioned...and odd...but to him, it would validate what he was doing in the first place. Of course, if he didn't want to eternally confuse Strelein, he had to start speaking English...

<style type="text/css">
.Fuego b {font-weight:normal; color:#51aa8a; letter-spacing:1px;text-shadow: #a0dfb8 1px 1px 1px;}
.Fuego-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:11px; color:#a0dfb8; text-align:center;}
.Fuego p {text-indent:15px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Fuego{margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#001926; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... Noss-1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #205047; padding: 5px 0px 320px 0px; font-family: Tahoma, serif; font-size:12px; color:#205047; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Fuego-border1 {width:402px; border:1px solid #001926; margin:0 auto;}
.Fuego-line1 {width:200px; border-bottom:5px dotted #51aa8a; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
000+
lovin' mwamwa .. I don't know.

"Yeh see eline..hwah..?" he gibbered out, trying to figure out what on earth the other man had said to him. That was the strangest greeting he had ever been privy to. If he was expecting to be spoken to in Noss' native tongue, the man did not show it in the least. Strel gave his lover the most incredulous look he had ever attempted to look. He just stared at Noss for a moment before eying him with confusing. "O-ooookay," he forced out as he gingerly took the pelt from the man's outstretched arms. If Strel didn't know the man better, he would have sworn that Noss was a little bit nervous. But he had only stammered out a little bit. Maybe he was unused to his own tongue after so long speaking English?

Strel inspected the pelt in his hands; it was really rather fine and soft. He stroked it gently with a hand before looking up at Noss with curiosity in his lavender eyes. He placed it in his lap and crossed his arms with a slight smile on his lips despite his confusion. "What's going on here, Noss?" Did the man do something he regretted and was now kissing ass to make up for it when he revealed it? "This is a nice pelt and all, but my birthday was at least five months ago." It was a nice surprise, but still it confused him quite a lot.

<style type="text/css">
.sanctuary2 b {font-weight:normal; color:#e0b3e5; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#eec4f3 0px 0px 3px; }
.sanctuary2 .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 60px 5px 60px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#eec4f3; text-align:center; text-shadow:#27034b 0px 1px 1px;}
.sanctuary2 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 35px 0px 35px; margin:0px;}
.sanctuary2 {margin:0 auto; width:490px; background-color:#452286; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Bp74G.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/tW6E3.png); background-position:top center,bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #e0b3e5; padding: 80px 0px 25px 0px; font-family: Times new Roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#ae9cc7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
.sanctuary2-b {width:492px; border:1px solid #1a0333; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
OOC: Awkward-derp-Noss is awkward-derp. God, how do real couples do this without dying of blood pressure? D:

It was perhaps the most endearing--did he just say that word?--thing to see Strel's face the way it was...and amusing... If the redhead had not understood Noss at all--which looked like was the case completely--at least Noss had succeeded in loosening his own nerves by viewing the hilarity. Yet although he was amused, he did not show it lest Strel get the idea that he was being mocked.

With relief Strel took the pelt, but the grey warrior didn't waste time in presenting the next gift, which was the salted meat. He didn't say the words this time--he didn't feel the exact need to since his nerves had lessened quite a bit with the acceptance of the first gift--but he did hold it out as expectantly as before. "I know--it's not for your birthday." He would've elaborated a bit more, but now he was steeling his courage for the final gift and the words that he would have to speak in English--it wouldn't be fair otherwise. Taking the brown bag in hand, Noss let his large fingers toy with the contours that the object inside made, mulling over how to exactly put what he needed to say. It was unlike most other courting rituals--the words were made for opposite genders and fitted such a situation--but using words like 'marriage' and 'wife' were so wrong--and not because of the commitment that they symbolized, but because it was so gender-based. Noss wanted Strel to be his mate, not a wife--to be committed to the man, not bound by law. Equals. "I uh..." The man scratched himself behind the head once or twice before gingerly opening the bag and bringing out the final gift.

What came out was a silver pocket-watch on a long chain, that which had the engraving of a lion rearing on the top surrounded by raised circles. It was very ornate, but the best was on the inside. The watch had a little mechanism at the top, that which Ralla--who he had gotten the watch from in the first place--had shown him was for winding. It did the most curious thing when wound, and so Noss did so, his large fingers making it almost impossible, but he managed. He then pressed the knob he had just wound inwards, making the top pop open. Inside was a round face, surrounded by Roman numerals, and two hands that moved so long as the knob was kept wound. Noss found that five turns of the knob would keep it running for a full day at the most. But the hands were as ornate as the outside covering, there was an inlay of gold on them as well, and on the inside of the top cover were the words 'The best thing about me is you.' Noss didn't know how to read quite as well as his sister, but when she had told him what the words said he had blushed. But really, he liked the watch most of all, even if it never told the right time. He had cleaned it up as best as he could--some of the silver on the inside was still slightly tarnished and refused to give way--but all the other courting-like gifts Ralla had all seemed too...well, girly. Or just too plain, in Noss's opinion. But he thanked her attraction for finding odd and shiny things, and he only hoped that Strel liked it too. He did, however, look away when he presented the gift to Strel, holding the watch out in his palm.

"This is the Gift of Promise, which shows my loyalty to you. I'd...I'd like you to have it, Strelein. I want you to be my..." When had the man ever been this awkward? He had never had to be nervous about such a thing, and now here he was, truly in love with the man before him, and all he could do was be embarrassed. "I want you to be my mate." There; he said it. But the real question was, what would Strel say?

[html]
300+
I dunno :O I survive.

Noss handed him salted meat, which made the man wonder ever more what was going on. It smelled rather nice, and Strel had to admit that he was liking this random gift giving. But that meant he would have to find something for other man sooner or later. Perhaps he could visit Niro and ask for a gift for the gray man? He placed the seal skin in his lap, smoothing it out; it was soft and the man was mildly surprised at it. Seal skins were not exactly common in the least. At least, Strel had never seen a seal before, even when he had been coming over the sea to reach these lands. That was the farthest he could get himself from that cursed city, without straying out of his breed's native grounds. His family would never find him here. The meat he placed on the table near the thread and cloth. Lavender eyes watched Noss carefully, rather cautiously. He was uncertain where this was leading.

Then came the glinting gift out of Noss's hand. Strel carefully took it in his thinner fingers and turned it to and fro as the man continued to talk to him, in English, thankfully this time. He fiddled with it as the man faltered, looking at the inside of the pocket watch to see the hands moving and the thing giving off a gentle ticking noise. It was a strange little thing, but he had no idea what it was. But it was certainly pretty, inscription and all. He was about to ask what the words etched into the silver meant but the man's last words made him stop.

Strel eyed the watch for a moment, eyes almost blank as he did so. Then he looked up, confused and surprised. "I.. what?" He was more confused now than he had been when the man had presented the gifts to him. So what was he supposed to do other than sit like an idiot with his jaws parted?

<style type="text/css">
.sanctuary2 b {font-weight:normal; color:#e0b3e5; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#eec4f3 0px 0px 3px; }
.sanctuary2 .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 60px 5px 60px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#eec4f3; text-align:center; text-shadow:#27034b 0px 1px 1px;}
.sanctuary2 {margin:0 auto; width:490px; background-color:#452286; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Bp74G.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/tW6E3.png); background-position:top center,bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #e0b3e5; padding: 80px 0px 25px 0px; font-family: Times new Roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#ae9cc7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Lucky :<

Noss had to, once again, admit that he liked confused Strel--it was far better than angry or sad Strel, and came with more entertainment value. But his paramour being confused wasn't helping the situation, and made the grey warrior more embarrassed than before, if that was possible. "Come on, Strel," he somewhat begged as the itching on the back of his neck became more fervent, although he had to finally bring his pale yellow eyes to meet the other's lavender. "Don't make me repeat it--I know you heard what I said." At the very least the other man had accepted all the gifts--back home, he was as good as mated. But here, the rules were different.

"Back in my home tribe," he began to explain, "if you accept the Gift of Promise, you're a mated pair. There's a ceremony and all that after, but it's...what was it called...it's like a wedding ring?" Noss had heard of those things briefly on his travel up north but had dismissed it till then. "I'm serious, Strelein von Rosnete," Noss said for maybe the first time using Strel's full name. "I would not have gone through this if I was not--I love you and will hold to all my promises. So...uh...do you accept?" Noss didn't dare touch Strelein for fear of feeling like he was pressuring the other male--that wasn't fair to Strel--but he needed some sort of confirmation. He loved Strel, and didn't know what he would do if he was rejected. He was a simple, straightforward man--lying to himself and others was nigh impossible and his actions were proof of his simplicity--and although by his native laws they were mated, it was really Strel's call. The tension grew with every tick of the pocket-watch's hands.

[/html]
[html]
300+
I AM A BAD BAD PANDA.

Exasperated, the man looked away in a huff, feeling embarrassed at his lack of eloquence. "I know, I heard you," he said impatiently, letting his fingers busy themselves around the watch's face. It's not that he wanted to be short with Noss, but he had no expected this. At least this way. He had figured one night they would simply decide to call it official and that would be that. Nothing more or special. Even though Strel had always thought about making a grand show of something like this, he felt discretion was highly advisable. Not all folk would be comfortable with the thought of two men being together so intimately, even though none had come to him to protest his behavior in the past.

The redheaded man looked back up at Noss, noticing he too had looked away. But after explaining his traditions and his explanation, Strel knew he no longer could play the coy game. He had always bounced Noss around, rather rudely and cruelly, in the past. It would be wrong to lie and pretend it was always a game, because it never was. That was just how the man was. To top it off, this situation was not one he understood nor really ever thought about. Girls dreamed of the day a man asked them for their hand. Strel just wished for a quiet day on the morrow. But how to answer the question he never really truly thought about.

"I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting this," he began, clutching the trinket in his hands. "I thought you or I would just turn over in the middle of the night, groggy, and just mention it, and then it would be done and over with." His look was serious but the grin was twitching on the corners of his lips. "So, I suppose.. I will." The smile on his lips was broad as it pulled at his mouth.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

But I love the bad bad panda XD Even though the bad bad panda made Noss a worrywart >:3

The way that Strelein was acting set Noss's nerves on edge from the get-go; he knew it was a big decision, and the grey warrior was terrible at reading people--even Strel at the best of times--but he waited. When the red-headed tailor began to speak, the first sentence seemed to make time stand still, as if the world itself was waiting for him to finish. It was all coming full circle here; Noss arrival in Nova Scotia, his meeting with Strel, his giving up everything in his native home for the man, and their time together. This was the moment to see whether all those decisions were right and whether the moon had allowed his meeting with Strel as fate or as a cruel joke.

The continuation, however, brought the sands of time slowly trickling forth again until his last words set them to fire. Noss could see Strelein's eyes glowing like they did when he was pleased with something, and it set Noss's face to soften a little--no longer the typical smirk that he so often wore when bantering with the other man, but a genuine smile that lit up his face and made him seem years younger and mirroring Strel's own grin. For a moment, he--the man that had just let off a tangent of a proposal--could not speak. "Strel," he said, overcome with how this emotion--he could not name the half of it that was not love--made him feel. Relief washed over him--perhaps that was it--and he stood and hugged the other man close to his chest, lifting him from his seat and laughing heartily. "Thank you so much!" he said in the embrace, the immense feeling of the acceptance settling in. He knew that not much would likely change; they'd still torment one another, sleep in the same bed, share the same pleasures as before, but now they had a bond of the heart--both tangible and intangible--that tied them together in an intricate knot, and it was a pleasant feeling to know that they belonged only to each other.

It was perhaps the happiest Noss had ever been as he let Strelein loose for a breather, and, while still holding him close, leaned in to kiss his mate.

<style type="text/css">
.Fuego b {font-weight:normal; color:#51aa8a; letter-spacing:1px;text-shadow: #a0dfb8 1px 1px 1px;}
.Fuego-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:11px; color:#a0dfb8; text-align:center;}
.Fuego p {text-indent:15px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Fuego{margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#001926; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... Noss-1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #205047; padding: 5px 0px 320px 0px; font-family: Tahoma, serif; font-size:12px; color:#205047; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Fuego-border1 {width:402px; border:1px solid #001926; margin:0 auto;}
.Fuego-line1 {width:200px; border-bottom:5px dotted #51aa8a; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]