an attitude i would like to devour
[html]
Form

Info
Date: 22 Aug

Time: Night

Words: 354

date is flexible according to when you want. Big Grin figured edge of territory would also be sensible? idek. :C

The river babbled quietly before her, and the hybrid listened to the sounds of the end of summer. Crickets still chirped here and there, but no more fireflies danced in the night. Their season had come to a close, and soon enough the trees would wither and the land would grow cold. She did not quite like cold, but she tolerated it, knowing it was an unavoidable part of living this far north. Eterne had been unbearably hot at times, and at least this place did not gro quite so mercilessly torrid. Even in the depth of summer, the air was never parched and thirsting for moisture.

Her chartreuse eyes regarded the river sharply. It was not so deep or rapid here that it was impossible to traverse, but it provided a clear-cut border nonetheless. This side of the river carried the clear reek of the Salsola pack, as Eris herself had just added to their scent border some minutes ago, before resuming her position on the riverbank, angled so that she could watch the water and the ocelot in intervals. Her gaze traveled from one to the other every now and then as she grew bored of one sight.

Itzcitla stalked the grasses some yards behind her, seeking the mice and other nocturnal rodents that filled his diet here. Eris knew he was capable of bringing down slightly larger prey -- raccoons or oppossums, perhaps -- but the cat generally chose to seek those tiny morsels, the ones that posed no danger to his body. He moved rather like liquid over the ground, barely visible in the grasses until he bounced, at which time he became little more than a blur and explosive movement in the grass stalks.

It turned out his prey had been a roosting bird, which took flight upon being disturbed. Its wings beat at the dead night air uselessly before the cat was upon it, flying up into the air to nail the moving target with both paws. Cat and bird tumbled to earth, and a few moments later, the hybrid heard the distinctive crunch and slurp of dining cat.

<style>
#simple-text {
font-family:georgia, serif;
font-size:12px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:16px; }
#simple-text p {
text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0; }
#simple-text .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:11px;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#simple-text b {
letter-spacing:.5px; }
#simple-text b:before {
content: open-quote; }
#simple-text b:after {
content: close-quote; }
#simple-text b.npc {
letter-spacing:.5px;
font-style:italic; }
#simple-text hr {
width:85%;
margin: 10px auto; }
#simple-text .infotable td {vertical-align:top; text-align:center; }
#simple-text #location{background-image:url('http://www.soulsrpg.com/images/BSMapPixels_subterr.jpg'); width:150px;height:150px;border:1px solid #000000;margin-left:5px;background-position:36% 19%;}
#simple-text #pushpin{position:relative;left:93px;top:35px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">
.simple {font-family:arial;font-size:1.1em;}
.simple .ooc {font-size:0.95em;font-style:italic} </style>

Early August works for me. I've got some others later on, so you can set it whatever date pelases you. :} I'm on a fluid timeline so I don't record exact dates anymore. ^^ (WC: > 400)

[/html]Tayui had not thought she would find anyone this far east. She had perfected the art of avoiding responsibility, and since this required her to always look busy but never do anything, finding quiet places to hide herself away was a key skill. As Sirius had interrogated her months ago, what had she to offer to Salsola? Nothing really; she knew she used the pack and gave little in return. There was no heart and there was no will. She simply existed and she was content with this way of life.

Where her emotional reactions were stunted, her physical ones followed. It took her a few seconds to realize that Eris was nearby marking Salsola’s territory. She smelled the scent of a large cat and immediately felt her fur stand on end. There was an intruder. Tayui stalked closer to the cat, wondering if it meant to harm Eris. She followed it as it moved through the grasses, stalking its prey and eventually felling it. The sounds of the animal eating was noisy and wet. It did not disgust Tayui as this animal only did what she, too, did for food. But nonetheless, it was disconcerting knowing that this creature was on their lands eating prey here. Tayui did not think of it as ‘their’ prey, but they prey was on their land and that was a distinction she thought was worth making.

As she came closer, she realized that this cat was in fact Eris’ pet. Again, her reaction times were delayed and it took her a few minutes to realize this. In contrast to this, she was quick to realize that this cat was just another slave like all the others.

But now that she’d followed the cat so closely, she was right in Eris’ line of sight. She didn’t want to appear rude, but she also wasn’t expecting conversation. Nonetheless, if she wanted to continue as she was, skirting around in the margins in this pack, it was in her best interest not to do anything stupid. She’d already done that once and she couldn’t afford any more mistakes.

“Eris,” she greeted the other. She trotted closer, lowered her head respectfully, and folded her ears back. Tail held low, she approached the woman with the intention of greeting her formally with a lick under her muzzle. Even if she was a monster -- and a poor and flawed one at that -- she was one of absolute politeness.[html]
[/html]
[html]

(312) i suck ;___;

Eris had always enjoyed watching Itzcitla hunt. Once, it had been a matter of life and death for her -- his take was all she was allotted to eat, and the cat had worked triple-time to keep her fed. Now it was more a matter of pleasure; he hunted when it was needed, but now, Eris was also capable of feeding him and returning the favor. She did as often as she pleased, allowing the small cat to taste of prey far too large for it to fell on its own. These morsels were, of course, greatly appreciated by the spotted feline, who gobbled them as if he had never eaten before.

The sable shaded hybrid was surprised to hear the approach of another. She twisted her head, alert for a moment: this close to their borders, it needn't necessarily be a member traipsing so close. The scent that entered her nostrils a moment later caused the dark woman to relax. It was Tayui, though she did not smell particularly strongly of the pack. Eris thought this was a good thing, attributing it to a desire for secrecy outside of the pack. Many of their members did spend time beyond the Salsola borders, and that was fine with her -- so long as their secrets remained well within their territory.

Tayui, the woman purred, stepping forward to offer the customary nuzzle before settling back down and twisting her head back toward Itzcitla. I was just watching Itzcitla hunt. He is marvelous when he kills, she said, though there was little excitement in her voice. She had watched the feline bring down prey many times before, and it was likely she would again. So very unlike us, she added, remembering the graceful leap. How are you? she inquired politely, intending to turn the conversation toward the pallid canine's acclimation to the pack.

<style>
#simple-text {
#simple-text p {
#simple-text .txtooc {
#simple-text b {
letter-spacing:.5px; }
#simple-text b:before {
content: open-quote; }
#simple-text b:after {
content: close-quote; }
#simple-text b.npc {
letter-spacing:.5px;
font-style:italic; }
#simple-text hr {
width:85%;
margin: 10px auto; }
#simple-text .infotable td {vertical-align:top; text-align:center; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

[/html]Tayui was careful not to show her true emotions when Eris spoke. She wasn’t sure if it was out of prudishness, but Tayui could not genuinely see this cat as a companion or a friend. Like the wolves of Salsola, it was a predator. Tayui’s instincts told her that this cat was encroaching on their pack lands and should be chased off, but apparently, Eris did not feel the same. However, since the cat was a toy of the sub-leader, and the leaders of Salsola fancied themselves rulers of a small, wealthy sultanate, she knew it would be best to keep such comments to herself.

Instead, she chose to take the lead Eris so temptingly dangled before her. Yes, how was she, Tayui? Well? Fine? Good? Any was an appropriate answer and all were socially acceptable, but she was none of these things. She was constrained and peeved by Sirius’ love of himself and still uncertain what to make of Eris. She felt like the dark woman was trying to get a rise out of her with comments about how she loved the way the cat murdered. ‘Yes,’ Tayui could reply, ‘I too love seeing animals felled,’ as if it weren’t a part of normal life and therefore nothing beautiful about it.

With nothing else to say, Tayui opted for predictability.

“Doing well,” she replied. She had nothing else to say, really, and nothing exciting to report. “How are you doing then? I’m sure being a sub-leader must be awful hard work,” she added. [html]
[/html]
[html]

(306) darp!

Itzcitla was her darling, and there was a grudging fondness within the sable woman for even Molca. Sandalio was still a wildcard, untested waters -- he had taken more of a liking to her since she had started giving him bits and pieces of her meals, but Eris did not yet know if he could be directed. She had noticed a distinctive lack of rodents around her home since his arrival, however, and she thought this alone was quite the useful function; even if she could not command him or ask him to do anything, his usefulness as a vermin exterminator was irrefragable.

The hybrid detected some faint, vague sourness in the air. She was rather suddenly uncertain of Tayui, though her response was nothing out of the ordinary. This feeling lingered and gnawed at her for a moment, and passed on -- it was nothing of Tayui's doing. She had been strange since Shibboleth, stranger still since the girl herself had gone sour. Every slight misgiving indicated a looming enemy waiting to sweep down upon her; there would be more to this shadow over her life, she was certain. I made it difficult for myself with children, she admitted. Caring for them was a burden on top of leading a pack, and all this considered, Eris wasn't doing half-terribly, but this was just as likely due to lack of time to do badly.

Of course, it's not all bad, she added, placing a lighter slant on the matter. Her smile was crooked. Comes with perks, at least. Least of these was command; this was something the sable woman had never experienced even in Eterne; there, she had been liked well enough, but there hadn't been any power in it for her. Salsola was much different in that regard, or so she thought.

<style>
#simple-text { width:95%; margin:0px auto;
#simple-text p { text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0; }
#simple-text .txtooc { text-align:left;
#simple-text b { letter-spacing:.5px; }
#simple-text b:before { content: open-quote; }
#simple-text b:after { content: close-quote; }
#simple-text b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; }
#simple-text hr { width:85%; margin: 10px auto; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
700th Tayui post on this forum! Whoohoooh Big Grin

[/html]Somehow, the one thing Tayui hadn’t expected from Eris was compassion; even from her children. So, Eris’ response that she had made it difficult for herself with her children surprised Tayui. It meant that Eris understood how hard it was on herself raising so many children, and inversely, how hard it was on her children having a mother who fulfilled so many roles. Tayui had been fortunate to live in AniWaya as a regular member when she’d had her litter, so she hadn’t the same sorts of duties Eris had here. Though, Tayui couldn’t help but feel a little bitter knowing that Eris had a mate and not an absent murderer as a mate to help her rear her children.

Though, Eris quickly fit into her pre-conceived expectations when she admitted it wasn’t all bad. Somehow, the smile made Tayui wonder what Eris was thinking. This small gesture seemed to fit the dark-furred woman, though; there wasn’t anything malicious about it. It just made sense to Tayui to see Eris acknowledge the other side of things.

Somewhat placated, Tayui asked another question: “what’s it like? If you don’t mind me asking.” She tilted her head slightly, hoping to mirror Eris’ crooked smile with a ‘smile’ of her own. [html]
[/html]
[html]

(313)
I SUUUUUUUUUCK

The sable hybrid considered the pale wolf's question carefully. She enjoyed leadership, and perhaps took advantage of it -- it would not do to admit that to many canines, if anyone. She licked her muzzle in contemplation, chartreuse eyes looking past Tayui and over the riverbank, through the river itself and into and through the earth. She might as well have closed her eyes. The moment passed quickly enough, and she gathered her thoughts, which had whirled in twenty directions and back again in that contemplative moment. It had not been long -- thirty seconds or so, but it had been long enough for The Auxiliary to know how to answer, or so she thought.

I enjoy the gifts members bring, and I share them with my children. Ataxia had watched Eris in the little mirror especially closely, and Eris liked to hold it so the girl might gaze at herself. Artemisia seemed far less fond of this prospect, preferring to roll herself in dirt, and Eris did not know what Harrow liked. That one did not seem to enjoy much of anything. She shrugged, smiling. It's better to be loved. The gifts are meaningless without the love of the family. This was a truth, and one Eris considered gravely.

I would hope Salsola loves me as much as my children do, but they are different sorts of love, I think. They were incomparable, but this did not bother Eris -- she would accept either love, expected both. Itzcitla meandered toward her, entirely unmindful of Tayui. He weaved between her forelegs, and she gazed downward and smiled. His love, too, is different, but they're all valuable. She lifted a foreleg and rubbed it against Itzcitla's cheek awkwardly, knowing he wanted her Optime hands and their dexterous scratches instead. This would have to do -- she would not shift for the ocelot's enjoyment.

<style>
#sieSimple {
font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
line-height:18px; }
#sieSimple p {
#sieSimple .txtooc {
#sieSimple .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
#sieSimple b { letter-spacing:.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#sieSimple u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#sieSimple b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
#sieSimple hr { width:85%; margin: 10px auto; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
[/html] Tayui watched Eris as she revealed more about herself than Tayui could have hoped for. She wondered if she could ever get along with this woman: certainly, there was nothing wrong with her and a minor spat wasn't any reason to hold a grudge. Moreover, her admission that sharing a gift was better than receiving it touched Tayui. She gave the Auxiliary a small, tentative smile and then glanced away, embarrassed at herself. Maybe she had judged Eris too soon; indeed, there were many things that were similar between the two of them, even if Eris was content with her barbaric, medieval style of discipline. Although Tayui had no attachment to Darijus, she had a strong enough sense of morality to know that cutting one's tongue out was ridiculous and crudely uncivilized. Eris had authorized this, so this only confused her more. She didn't know how to rectify Eris' obvious love for her family with her casual brutality against the slaves.

"I've never had what you have: a family or an important role -- but I would--" she began and then broke off abruptly. She took a step back when she noticed a cat approach Eris. She felt her fur stand on end and let out a small warning hiss to the creature.

"That is a predator," she stated flatly. "Do you let it encroach on our hunting grounds?" She couldn't believe that Eris would be able to find love for a predator which threatened their food supply. Her instincts screamed at Tayui to destroy this thing and set things right. [html]
[/html]
[html]

now i suck less, but i still suck Big Grin

The hybrid listened to her companion, intent on discovering what she could about Tayui, if possible, but recognizing nothing of her own dissemination of information. Tayui had been with Salsola at its founding, and she had known the pale wolf in Anathema. This perhaps afforded her an air of trust and relaxation the dark hybrid would not have had around a week-old recruit or an outsider to the pack. Before any information could be gleaned from the pallid woman's response, however, the wolf started and seemed perturbed by the presence of the ocelot.

The cat stared at Tayui with his yellow-green eyes, seemingly only curious at the wolf's reaction. Eris eyed him nonetheless, ready to intervene if he decided to misbehave. Does Salsola starve if we lose a few birds, or rats and mice? He hunts nothing larger than a raccoon. Apparently satisfied that the ocelot was not going to spring from his position between her forelegs, the sable hybrid peered at her companion curiously now, her head tilted to the left. If he frightens you, I can ask him to leave. He doesn't speak, but he understands that much, the coyote offered, one corner of her mouth upturned in a slight smile. He plays with my children, she added, rolling one shoulder in a shrug before returning her gaze earthward toward the cat, who now peered at her with more friendly curiosity, perhaps waiting for an invitation to leave.

<style>
#sieSimple {
#sieSimple p {
#sieSimple .txtooc {
#sieSimple .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
#sieSimple b { letter-spacing:.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#sieSimple b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>
[/html]
Big Grin!
[html]
[/html] Tayui didn't think it was so much an issue of what it hunted; just that it was there. Even though it was only the size of a fox, Tayui didn't like the idea of it being on their lands. This was their hunting grounds. Even if it only ate mice and raccoons, the creature set Tayui on edge. Her relationship with other animals was a strange one, and although she'd learn a bit of pidgin in the bird language and had encountered a few larger predators before, she would have never thought herself to be -- racist against one. Was that even the right term? She supposed that Eris was right in her clarification, and even if it wasn't as big as Tayui had initially thought it was -- maybe the shock had set her off -- she still felt her instincts kicking in. It was a predator and she was a predator. Wasn't that why so many coyotes and wolves had gotten into wars before? They were all predators, but they were just different enough that they couldn't get along.

"It doesn't frighten me," Tayui replied eventually after much thought. "I was surprised that you keep a predator as a pet. It's like a slave," she explained. She still didn't like the idea of slaves in Salsola, but she didn't want to come out and say it. "It just surprised me; that's all. It's just instinct I think. It might not really threaten our food supply, but..." she trailed off. Uncertain and awkward, she just shrugged. She wasn't sure how to explain it.
[html]
[/html]
[html]

(344)
I had to google and check as to whether ocelots purr... apparently, they do. o_o

Surprised, Eris considered the pale woman's words. She did not take offense to them -- rather, initially, she had found The Confidant's fear almost comical. Now, Tayui had raised a point that the sable woman had not been expecting. She rolled them over in her mind even as her companion continued speaking, an ear half-cocked. The woman trailed off anyway, and Eris remained quiet, clearly in contemplation. Her chartreuse eyes were distant, though her foreleg still brushed absently against Itzcitla's cheek. Commotion over, the ocelot had begun to nap there. He purred quietly, a soft undercurrent to the general rustle of nature.

I don't think of him as a slave, and I don't think he thinks that way, either, she said, but she was troubled, too. Itzcitla had never spoken to her, though he clearly possessed the intelligence to do so. She wondered what his training had consisted of, and if the cat indeed thought of her as his master. He had always accepted her requests and orders both with little question, though she had seen little reason to ask anything of the ocelot since coming to Inferni, really. She had certainly felt sorry for the skinny cat -- he had hunted himself nearly to death to keep pace with both their appetites. Her gaze shifted to Tayui, still troubled but now cooled somewhat. If he thinks of himself as a slave, though, what difference is there? Salsola accepts slavery, she said, stating this fact of their pack lifestyle casually. There's nothing binding him here, though. He could leave, she said, shrugging.

But I clothe him in winter, and the way back to his home range is very far, she added, now peering down at the cat with something akin to dismay on her coal-colored face. He might die if he left, too. She did love the stupid cat -- he had been her salvation, and Dieriel had been smart to save him for Eris upon her departure from Eterne. Eris did not wish for Itzcitla to be harmed.

<style>
#sieSimple {
#sieSimple p {
#sieSimple .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
I never would have known! :o
[html]
[/html] Perhaps the issue lay more in Tayui's aversion to slavery than it did in the fact that this cat was a predator. She disliked the idea that one creature could lay claim over another if they did not intend to devour it. It seemed more like some sort of slow torture to her. Although she couldn't say for sure that she wouldn't be above torturing someone if the need arose, she just felt like this cat represented something larger about this pack. Whatever that thing was, Tayui didn't know but desperately wanted to find out. Maybe that was a key to determining why she hated it so much here. She'd followed Eris here out of an obsession and now that she was beginning to understand the dark-furred woman better, she was disliking her more and more. She had thought they could be alike, but maybe she'd been wrong.

As with Sirius, time proved that this luperci was dangerous and Tayui absolutely could not trust her.

"I see your point," Tayui acknowledged. She didn't have anything else to add to the conversation, however; any of her true opinions would only cause Eris to suspect her of -- something.

"Maybe I'm just jealous then," she added with a wry smirk, "that he gets more attention than I."
[html]
[/html]
[html]

Eris is by me!

The hybrid twitched an ear at her paler companion's words, her muzzle wrinkling in confusion. The comment seemed a non sequitur, and Eris failed to recognize it for humor. She contemplated its meaning a moment and dismissed it at as altogether irrelevant, though she might later contemplate its place in the conversation.

As for herself, she was not sure how to follow up -- the dark hybrid rewound to the previous topic of conversation, zeroing in on slavery. When she and Sirius had discussed Salsola, she figured it to be a topic of conversation and contention within the pack: she had anticipated friction, after all. Most in Anathema seemed indifferent to Molcaxitl and Eris herself, though The Auxiliary could not say for sure if they recognized the true nature of her relationship with the Eternian hybrid. She certainly had not reached out to many and made an attempt to explain, after all.

Itzcitla is a smaller creature than I. A shifted wolf could kill him, surely. I think he would say he has a better existence with me than many alternatives, the hybrid proposed. He still is not a slave, though. Do I treat him so unkindly? Or Molcaxitl, for that matter? she asked, pondering whether the pallid woman had ever seen her interact with the slave girl. There are worse fates for both, the dark woman added, shaking her head at the thought of them.

<style>
#erisSie2 {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
line-height:18px;
}
#erisSie2 p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#erisSie2 p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#erisSie2 .txtooc {
font-family:georgia, serif
line-height:16px;
#erisSie2 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie2 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisSie2 u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisSie2 b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
[/html] Tayui shook her head, not wanting to express her real opinions and especially not to Eris. As the subleader in this particularly brutal pack, Tayui had no illusions of what Eris was capable of. As with Sirius, once Tayui had recognized that he was all monster and no longer the little puppy she'd once known, she'd become guarded; and rightfully so. So, Tayui felt that shaking her head and smiling slightly was better.

"Yes, I suppose he does have everything he needs provided for him," she conceded in disagreement. It was demeaning and disgusting to remove him from his natural environment for Eris' own whims. And then she added, dark humour lacing her tone, "I suppose we're all capable of much worse." She smirked and then shook her head once more. She didn't want to return to the topic of slavery since she didn't trust herself -- or Eris -- to say anything out of line. She hoped that this latest distraction. [html]
[/html]
[html]

Eris is by Poppz!

Eris occasionally doubted whether she was ever meant to do good in this world. She did not think she was intended for evil -- she was a medium, nothing more and nothing less. She took the signs of the world and provided an interpretation of them. It was difficult for Eris to think in terms of fairness and unfairness, and even good and evil.

To the coal-hued hybrid, what was simply was -- it was fate and destiny. No action carried any inherent balance in the world. Perhaps if she had known of karma, she would have found it appropriate -- as it was, however, the dark woman thought all that happened did so for a reason. Whether she was privy to the reason was not that important. Sometimes, the fates or deities or whatever powered this mad world saw fit to allow her vision. This was all she could ask for.

She therefore tilted her head at the woman's statement, pondering it a long moment before she responded. We do what we must. This was said with a tone of certainty; though she was not used to anything less than agreement or polite silence, Tayui had not disagreed outright with her, and Eris was in a cool enough mood again. It's simply fate, she explained, thinking such a concept would be close to universal, at least in instinctual knowledge.

<style>
#erisPoppz {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
}
#erisPoppz p {
}
#erisPoppz p.sieImage {
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#erisPoppz .txtooc {
#erisPoppz .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisPoppz b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisPoppz u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisPoppz b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisPoppz b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisPoppz b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
[/html] Finally, Tayui laughed. She chuckled quietly and shook her head.

"My dear girl," she began, but paused abruptly when she realized how condescending that would sound. Well, what was said was said and she couldn't unsay it now, could she? She frowned and then tried again: "I mean, it's safe to say that I've lived a few more years than you. There's no one out there making me do anything. Fate is just something cruel folks use to justify their actions. If they feel guilt or remorse, they think, 'it was fate and I was powerless.'" She glanced away and then looked back at Eris. "You are not weak Eris. You don't need to pretend there's something greater out there making you do anything. Every choice you make was yours to make. Taking that slave's tongue was not fate: it was a decision."

With that said, she cast the woman a wary glance, uncertain if whether her philosophical disagreement would harbour any dire consequences. She didn't think it was safe to express any of her opinions here, especially being so opinionated. But she wanted to know what exactly Eris thought was fate and what she was trying to justify. [html]
[/html]
[html]

(--)

Eris is by Kiri!

The pale woman's words struck Eris with surprise, and she turned widened chartreuse eyes toward her companion, setting her foot down abruptly. The ocelot stirred and peered up at her, but made no move to leave. The coyote listened with mounting displeasure, her gaze shifting away from Tayui as she continued. She was most bothered by how familiar the tirade was -- these were things she herself might have said, once upon a time. She had spat in the faces of the gods before, too. The dark hybrid did not appreciate being spoken to in such a manner, in any case; such words and such attitude seemed adventive within Tayui, something the dark hybrid had not yet experienced from the pallid woman.

I spoke such heresy once, too, Tayui. You would be wise to pay the powers that be their due, and wiser still to watch your own tongue, she said, glowering in the distance as she spoke these words. I have no lingering guilt, certainly no remorse, she said, and this she meant with her whole heart. There was nothing to regret -- she could not have saved her daughter, she could not have prevented any of her own misery. She was blameless, and thus was the beauty of fate, at least in her chartreuse-yellow eyes.

<style>
#erisKiri {
}
#erisKiri p {
}
#erisKiri p.sieImage {
}
#erisKiri .txtooc {
#erisKiri .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisKiri b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisKiri u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisKiri b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisKiri b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisKiri b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
[/html] "Heresy?" she questioned curiously. "I don't speak against any god or mortal when I say that, Miss. Eternity," she replied. She spoke carefully, not wanting to descend into scorn or condescension again. She knew they had disagreed once before over the meaning of the dark woman's name and Tayui feared that they would disagree again. This time, she was not spurned by curiosity as she was before. She had been held back by fear, biting her tongue and knowing it was safer as she had done with Sirius. But unlike Sirius, she didn't get the feeling that Eris was curious about her ideas. Sirius had seemed as though he wanted to know what and why she thought things -- but Tayui had also felt like Sirius would strike her down later. Tayui worried that Eris would simply strike her down rather than listening to her.

"Forgive my transgression then, Miss. Eternity," she concluded, thinking of the Lord's Prayer of the Christian folklore. "I did not mean to offend your religious sensibilities. I apologize if I've offended you. Perhaps it would be best for me to leave. I will not speak of such things again." [html]
[/html]
[html]

(--) I actually started this post prior to 12 midnight, so I'm not counting it for SoSu. Big Grin

Eris is by Poppz!

The swift change in her partner was noted by the sable-hued hybrid, who cast her own curious chartreuse gaze in the direction of the pallid wolf. One brow arced upward, but the shadow-furred woman remained quiet a moment, and Tayui kept speaking. She seemed to know her mistake, and backtracked quickly, apologizing twice for her offense in the hopes Eris would not hold it against her. The dark-hued hybrid was not so uneven of temperament she'd cast Tayui out of Salsola then and there, but the woman was intrigued by this conversation, and it would linger on her mind thereafter, perhaps when considering the pale she-wolf's position within the pack.

Speak as you will. It isn't my soul in danger, the coyote concluded. The Auxiliary had taken measures to protect her spirit from such influences, and she would not make the same mistakes again. She had no doubt the spirit could catch sick just as a Luperci. Go as you will, as well. You don't offend me with your words, but your tone... mmm, the woman said, giving an oddly Optime shrug of one shoulderblade. Maybe, she concluded, casting her piercing yellow-green eyes toward her pale packmate.

<style>
#erisPoppz {
}
#erisPoppz p {
}
#erisPoppz p.sieImage {
}
#erisPoppz .txtooc {
#erisPoppz .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisPoppz b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisPoppz u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisPoppz b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisPoppz b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisPoppz b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
That works :o Also you can skip if you want -- the important part is the dialogue 8D And that's it 8D
[html]
[/html]For the majority of this conversation, she had kept her head down and her tongue in check. Now, when she finally said something, it hadn't even mattered. Even though Tayui was opinionated, she could certainly change her opinion if need be. If there was evidence, she would likely evaluate it and see how it affected her opinion. But speaking to Eris made her feel antsy and uncomfortable because she knew she couldn't say anything and nothing would change this stubborn woman's mind. It bothered Tayui not because she wanted to make Eris do anything, but because she felt like she was bottling everything up and it was all threatening to burst. She had paid heed to the canine way, keeping her head down and her ears and tail lowered, since simple submission was not a question. But she felt stifled here. She knew it was Salsola in general. She had followed Eris here and she knew she could not stay.

She didn't like how Eris mused and hawed. How was Tayui's soul in danger? Of what? Perhaps if Eris supplied any information, Tayui might listen, but all Tayui heard was 'preach preach preach,' so it didn't make her feel inclined to change her stance on the issue. She didn't like being threatened, but she also knew that as a Confidant, her position within the pack paled in comparison's to Eris. Eris could threaten her all she liked and disguise it with her fancy words because Tayui couldn't do anything about it.

Of course, Tayui had known the second the words had tumbled from her maw that she was being condescending. She hadn't meant to -- and she'd apologized -- but apparently, it wasn't good enough. Maybe it was just Eris -- maybe she just rubbed her the wrong way. Whatever the reason, Tayui was ready to turn and leave -- until: "maybe? Maybe... what?" She perked up her ears and then laid them flat, not wanting to seem too keen or too dominant. She just wanted to leave now. She didn't want to see this ignorant lady any longer than she needed. [html]
[/html]