Ocean View
Terra wandered through the hotel. She'd changed into her optime form, though she was starting to feel rather bare. All the others wore clothes of some sort. Passing a room she gapped. Cloth filled it. In the center the dauphne, Strel, hummed softly. Obviously he knew what he was doing. Terra stepped softly toward the door. He was the one that had invited her into the pack, which she was deeply thankful for. Perhaps they could spend some time together, though approaching someone so high ranked was frightening. Though coyotes aren't very strict with hierarchy, even they knew to respect alphas, and he felt like one to her.

Hello. It's Terra. Do you have some time? Padding into the room she gawked at the fabric. All of it was so beautiful! She had so many questions, but the confines of the room choked her. If she could, she'd ask him to come out with her. She wasn't used to being inside so much. The wind called her, as loudly as if it truly had a voice. Maybe she could even see the sea, an entity she'd only come across once.
[html]

000+
OOC

Strel was cleaning up after the mess the pups left him. Thankfully, the mess had been in his closet room, rather than his and Noss's sleeping quarters. But still, plenty of things needed refolding, and the redhead was compulsively cleaning things up. A couple of his own clothes lay unfolded on the bed, the mess of quilts and furs strangely flat. He had already made the bed after getting up that morning (and kicking the other man in the bed out). Noss was not at home, not when his mate was raging up a storm, cleaning and sorting. He was a smart man, since he escaped the moods that came with autumn cleaning.

Wiping away dust, the Dauphin placed folded clothes in Noss's corner. The least Strel could do was give the man his own corner for his things, when the redhead claimed the entire next door room for his things. But he couldn't put shelves in his room when he had a masterpiece by Mati all over his walls! He had been hesitant with the few dressers and made sure they did not touch the wall. He did not nicks in the plaster.

Ears twitched as he heard someone at the door. Of course it was open, he had forgotten to close it after bringing down cloth rolls to his studio in the former dining room. "Oh hello," he said absently, patting down some things. Straightening, he cracked his back as he leaned a bit back. "I suppose I might." As he left the room, asking her to shut the door from any other curious hounds. "Did you need something?"

<style>
.strel-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:500px; text-align:justify;}
.strel-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/GEuNG.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.strel-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.strel-txt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 0px;}
.strel-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
.strel-txt .line {width:150px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
Terra shrugged, then grinned at the movement. There was so many things to learn! Do you mind if we go outside? I find it a bit stifling. She was curious about the cloths, but staying in that room was too choking. She hoped her discomfort hadn't been obvious. As she'd thought, approaching the dauphne was difficult. He carried an air to him that made her want to submit, something she was tempted to fight with every fiber of her being. She wasn't submissive, though she could be.

Dipping her head politely she studied him. He was quite elegant, the optime form seeming completely natural to him. If she didn't know better she'd think he'd been born that way. Obviously that wasn't possible. He was born in lupine form just like everyone else. Terra noticed she'd been grooming herself nervously and stopped, silently scolding herself. It's not like she wanted to look like him. She rather liked her fur the way it was, and wasn't interested in changing. That didn't stop her from trying to brush up, though. His elegance just seemed to demand it.
[html]

000+
I pp'd them down the stairs; let me know if you want that changed at all.

The redhead looked at the woman, and then rolled his shoulders. He found nothing wrong with the indoors, but the woman was new enough that the Dauphin went with it. He was going to be as accommodating as he could be, considering it was his duty to do so. "Of course, I was only doing some cleaning up." The redheaded man walked down the hall, and turned into the midsection hallway. Glancing over the railing down a few flights of stairs, the Dauphin looked back at the woman who had just recently joined.

"How have things been so far? Adjusting well? Liking your accommodations?" Strel smiled mildly at Terra, hand on the railing as he glided down the stairwell. He remembered what it was like to be new, though it was so long ago. It over two years now. He remembered it terribly fondly, though both of the people that had been there were no longer in the Kingdom. One of those two was no longer walking the earth at all. So many people had left and so much had changed. But Strelein was there, as always.

<style>
.strel-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:500px; text-align:justify;}
.strel-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/GEuNG.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.strel-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.strel-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
</style>
[/html]
Terra smiled at the mention of her room. It had a mattress in it! I hollowed it out, so it's perfect for sleeping in. I love it. The pack here's quite friendly. She still felt a little hesitant, but his words let her relax a little. He was being welcoming, if not as overly friendly as the pup that had met her. Taking a breath she stepped outside, breathing the air. It was such a change from inside, more relaxing. Here she could sense what was around her, instead of having it blocked off by walls.

[/b]If you don't mind, why do you have all those cloths? Are they for games?[/b] As a child Terra had often rolled through the little fabric her pack had scavenged, tearing it to shreds in playful bouts. She thought about the dauphne. He seemed to know the most about the strange culture that surrounded her. His strides were confident, knowing what was around him. Not even the strangest things, like cooked food, seemed to faze him. Strel seemed to welcome the new changes. He'd be a good teacher for her.
[html]

000+

Silvano gave a light laugh in his tenor voice. "Oh, good. Nothing beats a bed inside a room with walls. Ever since I moved indoors I never bothered to leave. It's great not sleeping at night with a draft from a den's entrance hole wafting in." He remembered the last time he slept inside of a den, back home in Michigan. Somehow, he did miss the coziness of the bodies next to his. The last time he had his siblings beside him as a yearling. But as soon as he turned tail and ran from the pack, he slept in abandoned houses, out of the wind and rain, learning to be on his two feet properly. And in Toronto he had never touched a den in the city. Even in Nova Scotia he found himself in buildings; dens were just dirt holes now. "We try to, you know." Being nice, that is.

The Dauphin blinked at the woman, having not heard such a question in a long time. "The clothes?" he repeated dumbly, pausing as he looked at her. "They're not for games. They're for wearing," he finally answered the woman, staring at her in surprise. Had she never seen clothes before? Had she never worn anything? "You've never worn clothes?" The redheaded man put a hand on his collar, wondering what she thought of him in his get-up. Well, not that he cared if she thought him strange; he was what he was. "You've never seen people wear 'em?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Now she felt just plain foolish. Yes I've seen clothes. But what does that have to do with the cloth you have in that room? Obviously she was missing something obvious, but Terra didn't know what it was. Her pack had never needed clothes, since their fur was just fine. Over here it seemed like a trend to wear them. Embarrassed she turned, studying the water behind the hotel. It was quite pretty, despite the crashing waves.

Why don't we go down to the water? I've never really seen the ocean before. Terra knew how to swim, but she felt a little nervous about approaching it on her own. She'd feel better if the beta was with her, made her feel more secure. After all, that position was only given to people that were competent, and he had definitely proved that.
[html]

000+

"The cloth?" The Dauphin gazed back at her, his sense of bewilderment fading away as he refocused on the woman. She was not aware how clothes came to be then, that was reasonable. Still, it seemed silly to him, but maybe he was still a minority in the world. Shrugging at the thought, Strel said, "It's to make clothing. I make them. I sew the cloth together." Plenty of people came to him for his work, but he was still surprised when someone didn't know about clothing. "I'm the tailor," he added simply, not bothering to explain himself further.

Strel felt a flutter of fear at the woman's request, but he swallowed back as best as he could. "The water? Alright," he answered, slight hesitation slipping into his voice. The sea was still not a place the redhead wanted to be, especially without Noss to make sure he didn't slip into a rip current. And it was turning colder; the sea was going to be rougher than ever, for sure, as the seasons started to change.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Terra thought about it carefully. It really did make sense that clothes came from cloth, now that she thought about it. She was a little envious of his skill to make clothes, as it seemed almost like magic to her. Humming slightly as she walked to the beach Terra pictured Strel pulling the cloth together, telling it to become clothes. The picture was almost comical, with the cloth acting submissive as it changed shape and color. She was probably wrong about it, since the cloth wasn't alive. It was the closest she could picture though.

When she hit the sand Terra startled. She'd forgotten she was on two legs, with her feet much more sensitive. It was slightly cold, and nice. Digging her feet in Terra stared in wonder. Why could she feel more? Were her feet less hardened in this form? The idea was strange, since she'd always assumed everything remained the same when she changed. What else would she need to learn about this form? Was her fur different as well?

It was too difficult to think about. She charged into the waves, gasping as they soaked her. Terra didn't go deep, but waited for her beta to catch up. The water was chilly, but it was a nice experience, standing there with the water lapping around her. Terra was so much taller than she was used to. Leaning back she laughed. Everything was new, a delight to experience.
[html]

000+

The woman did not follow up her questions, nor did she seem to say anything else on the matter at all. Strel was surprised, she seemed like such a curious woman, probably fresh to her two feet. Curiosity did not phase him in the least, he was used to it. He had kept his mate's niece and nephews with him during the war, and they were absolutely curious about everything. Sometimes, they were too curious and ended up in some kind of sticky situation. Ahiga had tried to climb a shelf in his closet in the middle of the night, and with the help of his two siblings he managed to get high enough that he broke a shelf and crashed through two below him. Only one split in half, thankfully, but all the clothes on that case had jerked off their shelves and fell in a tumble. Strel and Noss had raced in at the sound and the redhead had cried bloody murder. He was not the most organized of wolves and it had taken him so long to get the closet organized.

Terra almost jumped when they hit sand. Strel merely adjusted his pace but clearly the woman wasn't expecting the transition so soon. He eyed her as she raced toward the water. Standing in the tide, only his toes getting wet, the redhead froze. Stiffly, the man stared at the waves as they receded and returned, the roar not as loud as always. Clearly it was a calmer day than usual. But Strel couldn't help it at all. The ocean scared him, and he had been hesitant over a year ago just to get into a boat. "Ah.. Is.. Isn't it cold?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Strel stood behind her, just watching. The water was nice, splashing around her legs. It was odd, only being damp around her legs. It wasn't like wading through a stream, more like someone had picked her up and dipped her in. Terra pricked her ears at his question. Yes, it is. But that's to be expected, no? Terra turned to face Strel. Is something the matter? He was really hesitant, which was odd considering his calm demeanor all the way down. If she didn't know better, she'd think he was afraid. That wasn't possible, though. Fear was weakness, and weak people couldn't lead.

She looked at his clothes. Are you afraid of getting them wet? That seemed like a reasonable explanation. The canines here were rather protective of their things. His dislike of getting them wet would be just another oddity in this culture. Maybe someday she'd be used to it, but for now it was still extremely strange for her. Sighing Terra sat down, letting the water lap at her chest. It really was cold, but she didn't want to get out.
[html]

000+

Strel looked at the water as he pulled a face. It was lapping at his toes, sending shivers up his spine. He almost pulled back from the edge as a stronger wave came in, getting even his heels cold. He vaguely heard Terra speak, but he was a bit lost in thought. He did not want to go into the water; he was afraid of it, most certainly. It was big and expansive and it terrified him to no end. A woman was not enough to keep him from being carried out to sea, for all his skill as a swimmer. It was all instinct, but there was no instinct in him to get him into the ocean waves. He looked up at the woman, almost started. "Ah, no, nothing's the matter," he answered her at last, trying to give the most reassuring smile he could, even if it fell a little bit flat.

Then he glanced at his clothes. The pants came down halfway his calves. Yes of course. "Oh, yes." Strel forced himself into the water, making sure the height of the biggest wave would not skim the altered hemline. "I'd rather not get salt water on them; I'd have to get to a stream and wash out the salt. Stiff clothes, you know." Or not, because he never went into the ocean with clothing on, let alone willingly without. "Never seen the sea?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Terra chuckled slightly. He was afraid, and that was unusual for her. If you feel uncomfortable we can head back out. Yes, this is my first time seeing it, though I know a story about it. Terra closed her eyes, remembering her mother's soft voice as she was told Coyote's tales. Each one was always a wonder, ending with a trick that was hard to beat. Terra was surprised that Strel had such a high position considering his fear, but it wasn't her place to challenge him. Not yet, at least. She still had much to learn.

Backing up Terra changed back to her lupine form. It was much more comfortable as she laid in the sand. It would be a pain to get out later, but for now she just rested. The waves lapped just inches away from her, seeming to ask her to play. The sea was different than she imagined, more alive, yet less emotional. I lived inland, so this is my first time.
[html]

000+

Mercifully, the woman backed out of the water, even though she could tell he was afraid. It was not something he kept secret, but he preferred not to talk about it. He wasn't supposed to be afraid, but he was. And that was that. He was allowed to have his fear; he wasn't going to go out and conduct naval battles. No one did that. "A story you say?" he inquired of her as she left the water, body changing to the more primal shape. It was not one he was in often, choosing it only for hunting needs. Nothing else would get him to change that fact.

She sat down in the sand, and the redheaded man backed away from the surf to do the same, though he straightened his vest and shirt before sitting himself near her. "I lived inland as well, before coming here. I lived by a great lake though, but it was not as strong as the sea. We had small ponds as well, and usually avoided the lake; it always smelled terribly. Too fishy, too dirty."

Sighing, Strel pulled his legs up and rested his arms on them. "You have a story about the sea? What is it?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Terra smiled softly to herself. It was nice to be able to share a story from her old pack. Back when the world was new Coyote wandered it. Where she stepped great lakes formed, and rivers followed. Coyote reached the end of the land though. The ocean stood between her and the rest of it. Restless and angry at having the land stolen from it's grasp the ocean decided to kill Coyote. First the ocean tried to lure Coyote in. "Hello Coyote. I've heard about you. Would you like to go swimming?" Coyote knew the ocean didn't like her and refused. "I'm traveling. You have nothing to offer me." Angry the ocean tried again. "There are great treasures inside me." Now Coyote wanted the treasure very much, but was afraid the ocean would try to kill her, so she made a plan. "I'll come see your treasures, but you have to promise to hold onto my tail, and not let go. I don't want to get lost." The ocean agreed, thinking that as soon as Coyote was far enough in he could let go. Once he grabbed on though, Coyote bound the ocean to her, and leaped into the water. Thrashing the ocean begged Coyote to let go as he was dragged around, picking up the salt of the land. "I'll give you my treasure, please!" Coyote agreed, and the ocean gave Coyote the moon to call. Ever since on full moons the ocean has to answer our calls, because the ocean gave it to her.

Terra hoped the story didn't bore Strel. It was fairly long, and didn't have much to do with her new life here. The story promises that the ocean has to listen to us, so I'm not afraid of swimming, even if the ocean tries to break it's promise. As long as Terra listened to what she was told, the ocean couldn't touch her. Too bad it had always just been a story, so the warnings had disappeared. She'd have to learn from those that lived there.
[html]

000+

Strel listened to the story, keeping his legs close as he watched the sea shift and change. Coyote, huh? Why did it have to be coyote? Coyotes all had these stories, coming from some tribe or another. Where did they come from? He too, had his own stories, but his pack had been wolves and wolf dominated hybrids. This story was not new to him, but he had always heard it about wolves, or had he? It had been almost four years since he had heard the stories of his childhood. Maybe they were wrong? Maybe he forgot the real ones, all that alcohol making his memory disappear.

"Coyotes always make their stories about coyotes. And wolves do the same. There is coyote blood in me, but I only know the wolf tales. But my pack was mostly wolfish." Strel dug his fingers into his pants, remembering his family. Did they miss him? Did they want to come see him? Did they want him to come home again? "It's a story, Terra. The sea can still kill you. I once went out in a canoe onto it, in the fall mind, and we were stupid and forgot our oars. If we weren't so close to shore, I know we would have either been drifted out to sea or forced to swim and drown when we got tired."

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Terra flicked her ears in surprise. She'd never thought about her stories as being only about coyotes. Then again, it made sense having grown up the way she did. She hadn't known wolves before coming to this pack. Listening closely she heeded his warning. It's true it's just a story, but I think it can be true. After all, the ocean is salty. And like I said, the ocean has to listen to us, but it will try to kill us. It just means we have to follow rules. It was frightening to think about drowning. If she had her way Terra would die a good death on land, from old age or failing at a trick.

I guess that explains why I don't see anyone swimming, even if it is cold out. Rolling over Terra glanced at Strel. Are there really wolf stories? It made sense, but was alien to her mind. The stories were about Coyote, and the tricks she used so the canines could live happily. It was a guide to the dangers in the world, and gave hints about how to deal with them. Why would wolves need tricks when they were so powerful?
[html]

300+

"Follow the rules or not, I'd rather stay here." There was no reason for him to go anywhere near the water. It was salty, and it was heavy when it dried. The white crystals were nasty, though the redheaded man supposed that was an easy way to get salt for seasoning. Regardless, he never bothered with it. Meat was meat, cooked or raw. "I'm no seafarer. I stay away from ships and everything like that. I don't need the sea. I live off the land." The redhead shrugged at the woman.

Strel laughed at Terra, her question entertaining. "Of course there are. Just like there were human stories when they were around. Not that I know any of those, I can't read." Scratching at his neck, the redhead pondered a story for the woman. "Story about wolves hmmm." He reclined back onto his elbows, looking at the cloudy sky as the breeze ruffled his curly locks. "I do have one."

It's been a while, so pardon me." It really had been a while. "An old man told his pack that he was dying. He was much loved with his people and family. So he told them that they could follow him when their time came. So he left the earth and started to climb to the sky. Everywhere he stepped, he created the stars. Then the rest of his pack came when their time approached, and more stars were born. Eventually, the sky was full of their paths, so we now sing to guide the departed." He had been told that one when his grandfather had passed away. He had always thought it was about his grandfather, but it didn't make sense, and still didn't. "It's just a story, of course." He gave a sigh, leaning back.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Terra twitched her ears questioningly. We have the same story. Coyote had a mate, He Who Walks with Wolves, and he went to the sky. That's where we're supposed to go. If we both know the same story, isn't it true? Going to the stars made sense to her. She would become a light to guide others, and if she lived a really good life, she'd share the tricks she learned as well.

Strel was a rather stiff wolf, unbelieving. It was odd for Terra to see. He accepted the human ways so easily, yet struggled with the tales of canines that had existed for generations. Could only one exist? She had no desire to lose her tales and past to follow the humans after they died. If that was the choice, she'd rather live feral and forfeit her luperci heritage.
[html]

000+

Strel gave a loud laugh at her words. True? How can they be true? "They're just stories. They don't have to be real; they just give lessons to young pups." Nothing more. Strel hardly believed that when he died he would take steps to the stars. He never heard the sound of the ocean talk to him, urging him in. It was pointless to think about it. They were nothing but fairy tales. Strel did not live with his head in the clouds, he lived in the now with his work and his duties. There were far more important things to do with his time, like make sure the Kingdom ran well and things were smooth. This, this was a waste of energy and time.

The redhead sighed even louder. "Oh well, like I said. They're stories to tell pups. And I don't have any, so I've forgotten most of them from my childhood. Honestly, they're interesting, but I don't believe a word they say."

<style>
</style>
[/html]