The empty House
[html]
I promised you and mother and son thread, so here it is! w00t!

He had briefly seen his father at the celebration a week or so back. Since then he'd continued the pattern of avoiding his father, and his step-mother. News of her return had come to him, and he couldn't deny a pang of dismay. He still resented his father for finding another after mother's death. He wanted to rest a while before finding Ayasha again, so he slipped into the room his father had set up in the love nest. Err, that is, the house they shared with Sky. He knew the shared domicile made sense; after all, both Sky and Tal were healers. Why not have the pack's healers under one roof? That didn't mean he wanted to share his space with them. But his father had insisted.

The dusty floor creaked as he padded across it. The bed protested with a rusty squeal as he sat on the edge. He removed the tank top he was wearing, folding it neatly and setting it on the dresser. He stared for a moment at the hematite his father had set there, an eyebrow arching. He lifted the stone, feeling the deceptive weight of the tiny rock. After a moment, he shrugged and set it back down. He lifted his feet into the bed, folding his arms over his chest. He couldn't relax until he saw that his Ayasha was okay. He hadn't been allowed out of the pack, so he had no clue of she was safe or not, or if the war had claimed her.

His heart constricted painfully at the thought of losing her. He sat up, running his fingers through his short copped mane, then put the tank top back on. It wasn't that he was shy about his body, he just liked the feel of the thin material. He adjusted his jeans, then headed down the hall to see if Sky was in her room. Afterall, she had been a captive of Maska, perhaps she could tell him if Ayasha was okay or not. He knocked on the door. "Sky? You in there?" After a moment, he put his hands in his pockets. If she didn't answer, he would go downstairs and wait.

<style type="text/css">
.liamr1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e9f2f9;}
.liamr1 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.liamr1 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#0A0E39; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0IJKL.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #8F979C; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 160px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8F979C; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 366
[/html]
[html]

Curtains are Sky's sworn enemies! And ants. And goats. And uneven lines... and...

Sky was in her room, yeah, but she wasn't at home until shortly before Liam had knocked. The girl was somewhere between insanity and having another episode. What? Because the damned curtain wouldn't go straight! (OCD + Schizophrenia = BAD COMBO XD)

She sat there with the curtain, now effectively torn to shreds, scattered around her on the bed. She'd have some explaining to do when Taliesin came home, but for now, she was considering homicide of the fabric kind. As if the damn thing wasn't dead already.

A knock came to the door, then an unexpected voice. Liam! Finally, the boy was coming to talk to her! She perked her ears (or well, the stubs that were once her precious, soft, fluffy ears) and stood from the bed, parts of the curtain falling to the floor from her lap. One sec, Liam. The door's locked. She called back, voice completely calm and happy, as if her episode hadn't even happened.

She trotted over and unlocked the door, smiling when she opened it and leaned against the frame. You don't look happy. What's troubling you? Sky; always so quick to point out someone's lack of a smile. Even if they were just bored or indifferent, Sky always assumed the worst. Or maybe she hoped for the worst, in some weird insane witchdoctory way.

<style type="text/css">
.skykids b {font-weight:bold; color:#8fa6b5; letter-spacing:1px;}
.skykids .ooc {padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.skykids p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.skykids {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#faf5f1; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/246m1co.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 270px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#7e8175; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
---

After a few moments, the voice of his step-mother came through the door. Golden eyes narrowed, but he waited patiently. When she finally opened the door, he got a good look at her. Her time in Aniwaya must have been hell. He felt a rush of anger at the Capitana for not allowing him to leave the lands, for not allowing him to join in at Ayasha's side where he felt he belonged. When she asked what was troubling him, he almost laughed. "Well, Sky, to be blunt I need an answer, and I hope you can give it. See, there's this girl I know in Aniwaya. Her name's Ayasha. I know she was pretty deep in all that stuff, and not on Maska's side. I was hoping you'd seen her, that you knew if she got out of the battles okay."

As little as he liked Sky, he would have begged to hear Ayasha was okay, that she hadn't been hurt or killed in the war. He lifted his eyes to Sky's, letting his golden ones meet her blue ones. She would have the answers he needed, he knew she would. His ears folded back, then came forward to catch a reply, expressing his concern more than anything else he could have done or said.

Yes, he was deeply in love with the Aniwayan female. He would have a hard time verbalizing his feelings about her, but he was very much deeply in love with her. He knew it, though he didn't admit it to himself. And she knew it, even if he hadn't came out and told her bluntly. After all, the tattoo above his wrist stood for how he felt for her. The claddagh. Love, loyalty, and friendship. And that was very much how the boy felt about her.

<style type="text/css">
.liamr1 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#0A0E39; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0IJKL.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #8F979C; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 160px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8F979C; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 3+
[/html]
[html]

lolstepmomsky

Sky blinked at the mention of Ayasha. Of course she knew the girl; she'd been the one to inform Sky of all the happenings in AniWaya during the war. She'd been the reason Sky had even gone there.

Sky didn't think of her in ill respect though. Ayasha was a smart, kind girl. She'd been so concerned and loyal to her pack through out the entire ordeal, from what Sky had seen.

I believe she's still there, now that Maska is gone. Last I saw her, Ayasha was doing fine. She wasn't skin and bones and bloodied like us prisoners, so she must've been able to hold her own. She spoke in an honest, leveled tone, as if speaking to an equal.

Then, she smirked and flicked her tail. Why so worried for Ayasha, Liam? Thinking you'll be the Romeo to her Juliet? Her voice was teasing, but not mean; she didn't want to insult him or strike a nerve. She figured if her guess was true (which generally, she had a good eye for this sort of thing), then he'd have been looking at a wall of trouble for it. Smitten with someone from another pack? Loyalties were tested to the extreme in cases like that.

If it turned out to be a problem for him, Sky would be sure to offer her assistance in the matter. There were plenty of solutions, it was just a matter of figuring out which one was the right one for them.

That, of course, was if the boy was actually in love with the girl. He could've been worried for a friend or something, for all Sky knew.

<style type="text/css">
.skykids .ooc {padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.skykids {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#faf5f1; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/246m1co.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 270px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#7e8175; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
---

She teased him about Ayasha. Liam's ears flattened, then he grinned crookedly, the same cockeyed grin his dad had. "Yeah I guess you could say that. ". He shrugged. "I just wanted to be sure she was okay. I'm sure you know I'm not allowed to leave the pack so I can't go check on her myself. I just was worried. " He studied his step-mother idly, wondering what his father found so special about her.

"So other than the missing piercings did you come out okay?" Yes, it was just a little awkward. He didn't really know her, he didn't really like her, but she was his dad's mate now. Had been for a while really. It was just bugging him because he still had vague memories of his mother and Sky wasn't her.

Hell if the male knew about his new sister Tameri, he'd probably walk away now rather than later. Especially since the runt was a black wolf, a shadow wolf in his eyes. And everyone knew that shadow wolves were pure evil. Or at least everyone should know that in his opinion. 

<style type="text/css">
</style>
wc: 000
[/html]
[html]

derpa

If you want, Liam, I can go and check on her for you. I'd like to visit them again soon, anyway, make sure they're recovering okay. She offered when he mentioned not being allowed to leave the pack. She'd heard about that, but held no ill-will to the boy for it. To each their own, as long as he could resist acting on whatever evil was there. She'd bring it up later, maybe.

Pfft. The worst of it was coming home. She grinned, still ego-rubbed about the whole thing. She and Ephy had kicked ass that night, of that there was no doubt. The two had made an epic team and she'd be proud of that until the day she died.

But then, this wasn't about her. Liam, what happened that Skye ordered you to stay inside the borders? She voiced finally, concerned tone evident. I haven't really heard about what actually happened, just what the result was. Are you okay?

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc goes here

True gratitude washed over him at the woman's offer to check on Ayasha for him. "I would appreciate that, Sky, thank you. She really does mean the world to me. Like you do to my dad." There was his acknowledgment that she was Tal's mate, that she was a permanent part of their life. He was fine until she asked what had happened. An amused snicker, tainted with the inner darkness, slipped from his lips.

"Well, really, it started months ago. With Jade Opal Nightingale. I went to crimson dreams and met Fia, an' we were goofin' around when Savina showed up. Jade had followed me there. Jade got me in trouble, got me sent home. And then once I was back home, she kept following me around. So I told her to stop. I told her curiosity killed the cat. I also told her that God, as Gabriel calls it, had told me my destiny was to destroy all the shadow wolves. Skye didn't like that when Jade went and tattled on me, so she put me in the rank of traditore." He shrugged, then continued, his eyes dark, but still somehow amused.

"And then there was Juliet. Little Miss Moonsong. The little brat decided she was going to pick a fight with me. Shawchert separated us. Later I went to apologize to her, and took her to crimson dreams to show her flowers. She likes flowers. Anyways, we got separated. I didn't want anyone to know about it, 'cause I'm tired of always bein' in trouble, ya know? So I went to Skye and we talked. I was tryin' to convince her I'm bein' good now, but I ended up havin' to tell her about Juliet. That got me punished more, by makin' me stick around the stables and do all the heavy work there." He shrugged again. "That's kinda the medium version, not the short an' not the long."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Kin to the dark side. XD

The dark snicker Liam gave before his explanation made Sanja perk up in interest behind Sky's blue eyes. As he spoke, a soft rumbling buzzed through Sky's head, though she was sure it wasn't out loud. Dark wolves? And Liam had been the one to take Juliet to Crimson Dreams? This was all news to her. She waited a few seconds in silence as she mulled it over, then finally stood straight and stepped aside, waving the boy into the room. We should talk, Liam. Don't worry, you're not in trouble. I just want to get a few things figured out, okay? Her voice was calm and neutral, as it usually was whenever she decided to be serious.

If he took her invitation, she'd wander over to the bed and sit down, scooting back against the headboard and crossing her legs. The torn up curtain remained scattered where she'd left it, a hinting towards her own insanity that threatened to break through every day.

Tell me about the Shadow Wolves, Liam. Why is it your destiny to destroy them? Her voice suggested honest interest, and in a way, it wasn't just a mask. Sanja was intrigued. Sanja, that part of Sky... terrible nightmare.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc goes here

He was actually surprised when she invited him into her room, the room she shared with his dad. Curiosity drove him to follow. He raised an eyebrow at the sight of the shredded curtain. His voice held the trace of a laugh as he murmured, "Dad ain't gonna like that there." He wrinkled his nose as she sat, but joined her. He crossed his legs, resting his hands on his knees as if this were an Indian powwow.

The calm, neutral tone of her voice set him on edge, making him wary. Especially as she reassured him he wasn't in trouble. And yet, when she began to question him, it wasn't about Jade or Juliet, but about the Shadow wolves. His eyebrows arched. She wasn't the first to want to know, but she was the first to make him feel as though she understood, before even explaining it.

His eyes narrowed, his head cocking slightly. How to explain? He closed his eyes for a moment, listening to the butterflies rustling their dry silken wings. How did one explain them? After a moment, he opened his eyes and began speaking. "I've heard them all my life. The black butterflies, that is. My mom heard them too. I remember her talking about them, and dad would whisper them away for her. I guess hers said bad things. But mine, they make perfect sense. They tell me that because of the shadow wolves destroying my family, my sisters and my mother... the shadow wolf that raped my father and marked him, threatened to kill him... the shadow wolves are mine to destroy. Every last one. The only good that comes from the shadows is the butterflies. But shadow wolves, they stalk me."

He hesitated for a moment. "It's the butterflies that make me act in a way that people think is bad. So I try not to listen to them. But when I see a shadow wolf, I get so angry." Talking about them, he could feel them caressing his cheek, and his agitation calmed down. His hackles smoothed over as he continued. "The butterflies ain't bad, Sky. Gabriel, the leader of Inferni, he calls them God. He said only the pure of heart hear God speak. Or somethin' like that."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

BLAH.

Sky listened intently, but her mind was buzzing.

"Butterflies? Sounds familiar, eh, Sky?" Sanja mused. "I dare say this boy's as haunted as you are."

...raped and marked? Taliesin...

"Focus, Sky! Listen to the boy. He's got voices. Listen. Listen."

He'd finished speaking and Sky hummed in thought. Not bad, no, but misguided I think. She tried, testing the waters. They're not God, though. Gabriel might've mistakened them for such, but they're not god. She stated, her voice solid and denying any argument, as if she knew first hand.

I'm not going to give you advice just yet, Liam. Instead, I want you to listen, okay? She sat up straighter, moving to pick up one of the torn pieces of curtain and play with it.

You've got the butterflies. I've got Sanja. Woah, what? She was telling him about Sanja? Not even Taliesin had been told about the demon in her head. Lucky boy... maybe.

Sanja's not good or evil. He's a voice of temptation, mostly.

"I'm a voice of reason, you mean."

Shut up and let me finish.

I was raised by my sister for my first two years. We were rogues. We'd seen a lot of hurt, a lot of pain. Through it all, I always had a hinting sensation to do something against my nature, to go against who I thought I was and do something I'd never even consider normally. A temptation. As per usual, with Sky, there was more.

I lost two sons before I met your father. They were stillborn. I think that's what triggered Sanja. After that, he started speaking to me. If I had listened to him back then, I would've killed some very important people. Not, tried to. She would've outright killed them. She knew how, poison, suffocation, untracable murder. There wasn't much of a chance they'd even see it coming.

Orin. Shawchert. Even Taliesin. Now, my closest friends, my family. But at some point or another, Sanja wanted them all dead. She bit back a growl at that, not at all happy with what her demon used to want. Now, though, they had reached a mutual agreement of sorts. A mutual understanding.

When Maska imprisoned me, I let Sanja help me. I didn't give him full control. I didn't give into temptation, I simply found a middle ground. A solution. With Sanja whispering in my ears, I was able to break out and fight my way home, where on a normal day, I couldn't even hold my own against someone half my size. Not a fighter.

Long story short, Liam, those butterflies probably want the best for you. They want to protect you and your father... and Ayasha... from the dark wolves. She smiled in an understanding way. That doesn't mean you need to kill every black furred wolf you see, though. Not every animal with black fur is evil. Maska didn't have black fur, but he wanted every hybrid dead or enslaved. If you ask me, that sounds pretty evil.

Find your middle ground with them, Liam. Learn to tell the black furred wolves and the dark wolves apart. Those evils... they blend into the crowd. Some of them could have fur as white as snow, for all we know. She believed him; dark wolves existed, but she'd known enough evil to know that they didn't always come in obviously wrapped packages.

If you let me help you, Liam, I'll help you track down those evils. I've always had a knack for figuring out who's good and who's bad. You just have to let me in, talk to me, tell me what they're saying and Sanja and I will help you decide on a good middle ground each time. That way, you won't get into trouble anymore... and you'll be able to keep your loved ones safe from harm. Finally, she was done. She left it at that, letting the boy mull over her winded speech. Yes, she'd said a lot, more than she'd originally planned. But at least, now, hopefully Liam would let her in so she could save him from the corruption of his demons.

Purity isn't something to strive for. That much she'd learned. You don't get anywhere in life thinking you're better than the rest because of a gift or a curse. Rather, equality; like building a house. Too high and the winds will knock you down. Too low and the water will wash you away. Even ground.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
I am humbled by your awesome posts. Sky is going to end up hating Liam, though. LOL

He listened to her words, his expression neutral. He knew in his heart she was wrong, that all black furred wolves were evil. Some just hid it better around him. When she was finished, he reached out and plucked a piece of the shredded curtain off her shoulder. "You wanna help me destroy the evil wolves." His voice was blunt, to the point. He lifted his eyes to hers. "I promised Ayasha I would ignore the butterflies. I promised her..." His voice softened as if he were talking to himself, and in a way, he was. "Besides, I can feel their test looming closer. I'll prove myself worthy, and then I will join Ayasha." His eyes clouded over, he was done talking about the butterflies.

"I promised Ayasha I wouldn't talk about them." Well, sort of. He shrugged, changing the subject, half way hoping to make Sky angry enough to kick him out of the room. Part of him was enjoying this, the mothering aspect of her apparent to him. He was long removed from his own mother, since she was dead. (Or so he thought.) "Sorry about your kids... is that why you and Dad haven't had any yet? Or did dad's rape make him... what's that word? Impotent. Infertile. Can that even happen to guys?"

The wicked boy was baiting her, testing her reactions. He sure did love testing boundaries, seeing how far and how hard he could push before someone snapped.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

lol He can try and make her hate him, but she's already imprinted on him as her son. XD

"...little brat." Sanja rumbled in Sky's ears when the boy started to bait her. She wasn't concerned about that, though. Her mind was more geared towards what the boy had said before that; a test? What kind of test? She prayed it wasn't as it sounded.

Not sure. She admitted with a shrug. We haven't had any because I'm not really very fertile. The fact that I'd been pregnant at all in the first place was a miracle. She spoke of it as if it were no big deal, and these days, it wasn't. She'd learned that sometimes there were more important things to deal with than pups and marriage. If it happens, it happens.

Then, a thought. ...So you'll be leaving to be with Ayasha someday soon, then? Sky sat back against the headboard fully, tail flicking to cover her paws. What's your plan there? You can't just up and leave without telling anyone, y'know. Well, actually, he'd just told her in a sense, so he wouldn't be doing that anyway...

"Why do you have to be so damn patient all the time, Sky?" Sanja growled in what could've been a pout.

Why do you have to be so damn impatient, Sanja? It's in my nature. Now shush.

"...bitch."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
((Pshht. Wait til December. *evil grin*))

He was impressed. Despite himself, he was growing a grudging admiration for his father's mate. He watched her lean back, asking her questions. He grinned crookedly; no sarcasm was in his genuine smile or laugh. "Come December, I'll be joining her. I don't much fit in here anyways, and I know it. I don't want to leave-" He cut himself off before talking again about the butterflies test for him. "I don't want to go there until I can just ask her to be my mate. And her tribe's laws say we both have to be a year old. I screwed up here, but I wanna do right there." He shrugged, a little self-consciously.

"I don't belong with you artistic types. I'm no painter, no poet like my father. I can't sing for anything. But Aniwaya has a warrior rank that would be perfect for me." He shrugged again, changing the subject back to the subject of pups.

"So... no little siblings for me, huh? Pity... I can't remember being anything but the only child, really. I mean, I know about Brighid and Liadain. But they died. So technically, I'm still an only child." Was that an almost wistful note in his voice? Perhaps he'd listened to more of his father's stories than he'd let on. Perhaps he envied his father the joy of having his brothers, and his cousins who were raised alongside of him. It would have been nice to have a sibling or two to confide in, to get into mischief with.
[html]

xD Oh December.

Sky listened to him intently, appreciating the honesty. So she'd be saying goodbye to him later, then? Fair enough; she knew the troubles of having a love at arm's reach. It's why things hadn't worked out between her and Shawchert... but she hoped the best for Liam and Ayasha. She seemed like a nice girl and Liam still had a chance at being a good person, if he could overcome the butterflies in his head.

Well, I'll have to come and visit you once you're settled into the tribe. It's a good place, despite the war's scars. I'm sure you'll find your place there. She smiled, a lovely expression despite her scars.

Then he brought up pups again and she noted the wistful tone. Don't get up hope just yet, boy. She played in a joking tone, leaning over to poke his shoulder gently. I'm not dead yet. Someday, while you're off being a mighty Ayastigi, I'll come to visit and I'll bring some pups to meet their estranged big brother.

Then Tammy came to mind and she smiled coyly, leaning back against the headboard of her bed. And of course, there's little Tammy too. I get if you don't consider her a sibling, what with the lack of blood ties, but she's still a part of this family... give her a chance. You might end up liking her. Another coy grin, this time with meaning behind blue eyes; sometimes a brother or sister didn't have to be blood related. That much she'd learned through Valinta.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
((He actually doesn't know Tameri. LOL But now would be perfect for him to meet her. *Evil grin*))

He chuckled. "Dad always said he and Noah were closer because of their distance." And then she smiled coyly, and his smile faded into a puzzled expression. Tammy? He didn't know of any Tammy. Although, given the words Sky said about her, he wondered if she'd found someone in Aniwaya who was an orphan. Right idea, wrong adult, kid. He twisted the scrap of fabric between his fingers, golden eyes studying his dad's mate. "So... who's Tammy?"

The whispers came to him, to pay attention now, to watch everything carefully. Unknown to him, Tameri was at that moment padding down the hall, her blue eyes anxious. She had just checked on her daddy, now she needed to check on mommy. All too often the pup was plagued by nightmares about her mommy and daddy leaving her like her first mommy. She still didn't know what had happened to her first mommy, but mommy and daddy took good care of her.

A strange scent had her whining softly. It was a scent that had been in and around the house before, but never quite this strong. She paused outside of her mommy's door, then charged in and jumped up onto the bed next to Sky, her blue eyes looking curiously at Liam. Tameri was close to six months old now, give or take a month.
[html]

And then suddenly, puppy.

Liam's curiousity was unexpected; Tal hadn't introduced them yet? But Tammy had been with them for at least a few weeks now. Surely that was long enough to have introduced the new siblings? Poor child lost her mother. Your father and I took her in, adopted her. She's your little sister. And as Sky finished her sentence, as if on cue, Tameri sped into the room and climbed up onto the bed with them, settling next to Sky with her eyes on Liam.

Sky made a sound of mild surprise, then smiled, moving to rest a hand on her daughter's shoulders. Good timing, Tammy. She mused. Liam, this is Tameri. Tameri, sweetheart, this is your big brother, Liam. How weird was it that Sky had to introduce the two new siblings like this?

Her eyes settled on Liam softly. I take it, then, you haven't spoken to your father in a while then? Her tone suggested annoyance, but it was towards Taliesin rather than her step-son; Tal was expected, as their father, to be a part of both of their lives equally. So why hadn't he told Liam about Tameri yet? She'd have to have a long talk with him later about this...

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
((Unless Sky chases after him, I think we can call this done after your post?))

Liam recoiled as the black shape came racing into the room. The butterflies stirred angrily, and Liam's eyes narrowed. He heard Sky's words, though they came slowly, as if through water. Tameri... adopted. He slid off the bed, his golden eyes not leaving the solemn blue gaze of the black female. She was his test. He could feel his mind warring with the butterflies. He pulled his gaze away, licking his dry lips. He swallowed, then spoke softly.

"My father and I take pains not to speak to one another. I have no patience for lectures, and he has no heart for me, since I remind him too much of my mother." Tameri moved, and his gaze fixated on her as if she were a cornered rabbit. His nostrils flared and his pupils contracted. He took a step toward her, the image of her broken body so vivid in his mind, it was as if it had already happened.

And then he blinked, and there she was, huddled against Sky, staring at him as if she had seen the thought in his head. He drew in a ragged breath, then spoke quickly. "It's time for the cow's milking. I need to go." He beat a hasty retreat, the door to the house slamming shut behind him.