the essence of communication
[html]
Invdegesv

Dated: 25th, day-time
I didn't reference what Ulilohi offered in return for the pigeons - what sort of thing would X'yrin be interested in? AniWaya has plenty of livestock, grains, bows&arrows, tobacco, animal fat oils and toches, and Ulilohi has a lot of ornaments and beads and that kind of thing. Anything interesting?

Truly, Ulilohi was excited. She had stayed at the festival for a few days now, and the buzz of the trading and the excitement of the different activities gave her a pleasant headache at the end of each day. After the opening feast, once she had learned that she was welcome to set up an activity for her tribe, she had jumped at the idea. She believed their archers to be unrivaled, and had for some time longed to excercise this skill. Still, she respected Vigilante and Savina's wishes too much to train in secret. She hoped this friendly display and sharing of the trade would help show the leaders that she could be trusted. Archery was more than war, after all.

She slowly made her way past the booths to where she had seen her three days prior; the female who could tame birds. They had agreed on a trade of pigeons and training lessons, and Ulilohi was not certain whether she was more nervous or excited. It was not every day that she would be taught something as immensely useful as pigeon training. She would be the one that would teach the scouts, and so it was crucial she paid attention. If it went well, she could offer this to Crimson Dreams as well. The thought burned in her chest for a moment, giving her hopes that she could soon train the art of war again. Her muscles ached from not being used -- well, aside from when Barrett came by, she thought with a quiet giggle.

Recognising the female, the brown-coated councilwoman lifted her arm and gave a wordless expression as she made her way over, finally greeting her properly when she came close enough. "Unalihelitseti, Xy'rin." The name rolled awkwardly off her tongue, but then again she imagined her own might do the same on other wolves' tongues. She knew she was not alone in her linguistic confusion. "How went your quest?" For pigeons, obviously. She smiled.

SSWM: #331
<style type="text/css">
#marit { padding:35px; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... herbg2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: center; }
#marit p { padding-left:0px; text-indent:0px; margin-left:0px; text-align:justify; line-height:1.4em;}
#marit b, #marit i { font-family: cambria, serif; font-size: 1.3em; }
#marit .count { text-align:right; float:right; font-family: cambria, serif; }
#marit .separator { font-family: 'Bookman Old Style', serif; font-size: 2em; display: block; font-style: italic; margin: 20px 0 20px 0; border-top:1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid; padding: 10px 0 10px 0; text-align: right; }</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... eofone.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 15px; padding-left: 15px; padding-right:15px; padding-top: 320px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc: She's not interested in a lot of human items or keeping animals. (she'll just eat them) Perhaps beads? Smile

If any definitive facts came from this excursion it was this; X’yrin did not under any circumstances want a horse of her own. Riding on the back of an animal that was meant to be eaten was simply torture… and what was worse was this steed’s behavior. Her mate had warned her ahead of time that the war horse had not been broken and had a mind all its own; a temperamental mind at that. But like a fool, she had underestimated the extreme of the temperament.

The majority of the trip back into the northern lands was a fight between woman and beast. Leading him along barebacked with nothing to grasp but his mane as her second mistake. The first, insisting that she needed the horse’s expediency to fulfill her service to the council woman of Aniwaya. This was the Nomad’s first official encounter with an influential face of another pack, and she would be damned to let some ill mannered beast of burden keep her from falling into her good favor. By the end of the first day, the two had managed some kind of understanding. Both stubborn and thick-headed, unwilling to succumb to the other’s commands without contest, a sort of ‘give and take’ relationship had been fashion… though it was fragile and fraying with time. How Saluce had managed to deal with this drama was beyond her realm of understanding. And when it came to this hooved beast, she did not care to understand.

By the morning of the following day, the complications of the pair were set aside for the delicate task at hand. Upon the request of the Aniwaya woman, a handful of birds needed to be caught for passing messages. To the Nomad, the means was quite strange when in her eyes it was more personal to send a messenger from the corresponding pack, but as she had time to ponder over the idea, she was beginning to favor this aerial transportation. It would be faster and a bit more inconspicuous if carrying an important message. It grew on her and motivated her task all the more.

Her accompanying owl had already taken off to survey the area, following the soft cooing of the mourning doves as they awakened to the dawn. What they needed was a cluster of birds to satisfy their purpose… and a cluster was what her determined owl found. In an instant, the woods had gone silence as the aura of the predator was felt by all that dwelled within the barren woods. Then from the stillness came an array of shrieks, frantic and alarmed as a flurry of wings filled the air and the nesting flock was aloft. From the mass swept a large speckled body, weaving in and out through the frantic birds with talons extended. Repeated, the earthbound wolf shouted for her aerial friend not to kill but to ensnare, begging that for the sake of capture his claws be blunt and careful.

It was perhaps a torturous for him as it had been for her on the back of Charlemagne, but she witnessed with relief her companion’s compliance. X’yrin stood at the ready with string unfurled for the owl to make his first delivery. He snatched through the rotating flock taking a brightly colored male as his prize before sweeping down to his awaiting handler. Since he could not hover or land, it was up to the Nomad to take the struggling bird by its foot when it was presented and hurriedly coiled a length of the string around his leg. The bird flapped in vain to escape but the woman’s hold on the string was firm. With no cage to place it in, she left the bird flap around until he finally wore out his little bird heart and settled on her shoulder, cooing mildly with exhaustion. Three more times this tactic was initiated but upon three dusky females to make a little harem for the male. As the sun reached its morning peak, their task was finished with ample time to spare.

Returning to the festival grounds was in the same manner as when she left; in a fight with the broad beast between her legs but now with a cluster of bickering birds in tow. When the hooves of the horse were not stomping the ground at break-neck speed, she had taken the time to coax the birds to listen to her voice and in turn tuned her ears to listen to their cooing as well. They were terribly simple birds adhering to only one word in the span of a couple days. Try as she may to get them to understand something other than their favored words, there was simply not enough time, but perhaps her delivery would award her an opportunity to teach her customer how to train her new items of interest.

X’yrin was all too happy to dismount from the ill tempered horse and tethered him to the cart that reside near hers and Saluce’s makeshift shop. Upon an extended arm sat a row of mildly tempered birds jerking their heads to and fro as they looked around at the strangeness of the festival all the while uttering their favorite word to ease their anxiety among so many predatory creatures. The woman had grown tired of their constant clacking since the day they were caught, and even now she found her head threatening to split upon due to the irritation. Fortunately, this brand of torture was not to be endured for much longer as her awaiting customer approached with a wave and a smile, no doubt ready to receive her new (noisy) companions. Humbly the golden she-wolf dipped her head in greeting, spilling loose auburn bangs in front of her face.

“Good day to you, Lady Ulilohi,” X’yrin greeted softly as she lifted her head. When asked about her quest the woman lifted her occupied arm to the lady’s eye level and raised her muzzle with due pride. “Prosperous. I hope you will be happy to know You have one male and three females, unharmed and in good health. However, for the purpose you have mentioned for them, I would advise that you learn to speak to them, if you have not already. At the moment they know only one word to keep them calm. If you would, please say this word as I do.” Sharply, she clicked her tongue for the bird’s attentions then brought a claw to her lips in gesture to repeat. “Safe…” The bird’s cooed responsively, repeating the same word over and over again until the claw was removed from her muzzle. “…safe.”

1109 words.

[/html]
[html]
Invdegesv

Just to make sure I reference things correctly: the birds have learnt a single word (safe) in high speech? Smile Do they merely understand it, or do they also speak it? Uli knows how to understand a very small handful of low speech communication sounds, I dunno if that's helpful at all.

Her excitement grew when she saw the creatures that were sitting on the female's arm. They seemed much calmer than Ulilohi would have expected them to be -- almost like the carrier pigeon. For some reason, she had thought they would be more wild still, but it could very well be that they simply calmed down quickly once captured. X'yrin had swiftly won the battle that Ulilohi imagined she had made, for the loyalty of the birds. It could not have been easy to conciliate the birds. Perhaps they were, like the rest of the world, more attuned to a comfortable life in peace. She felt the need to whisper them a promise, but did not. Don't worry, you'll soar across the sky again soon..

Her head bobbed in very interested nods as the female spoke, and she watched with deep fascination at the communication that followed. What wonders the woman made! She repeated the word with her, and the birds' response was unmistakeable. "Marvelous!" She reached out with one hand, hesitant, to try and stroke one. "I would very much like to learn how to train the birds, if you would help me, X'yrin," she gave a slight bow of her head, very much in awe of the female's skill. "If I could handle this task, our pigeon communication might even expand across the whole south." How safe that thought made her feel. To be able to communicate with other leaders swiftly could mean safety in both reacting to an outside common enemy, and also to avert percieved crisis. If she were to maintain a friendship with them, she would either have to travel a lot -- or simply keep a lot of pigeons. The latter seemed like a better system.

WC: #288
<style type="text/css">
#marit { padding:35px; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... herbg2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: center; }
#marit p { padding-left:0px; text-indent:0px; margin-left:0px; text-align:justify; line-height:1.4em;}
#marit .separator { font-family: 'Bookman Old Style', serif; font-size: 2em; display: block; font-style: italic; margin: 20px 0 20px 0; border-top:1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid; padding: 10px 0 10px 0; text-align: right; }</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... eofone.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 15px; padding-left: 15px; padding-right:15px; padding-top: 320px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc: Sorry about that. I think I've been doing this wrong. Since they are still 'fresh' they would only speak Low Speech for the time being, but as a word was repeated they could understand it as High, if I'm getting that right. I can reference both to cover both grounds if you'd like. >.< Sorry for the confusion. Slight pp to take Uli's arm. And please go nuts with the birds. They are yours now.

The woman was quite pleased by her own work, especially with what had been done in a short duration of time. The key she would be sure to preface to the bird’s new handler was repetition above all else. A determination toward the adaptation of a single relatable word to make them easier to handle. As Uli repeated the word, the Nomad smiled proudly as the birds responded as she had hoped. While their cooing was considered incoherent noise to many, she could understand it as another form of communication nearly lost to the untrained ear. And it was a communication she had every intention of sharing with her customer.

With her unoccupied hand, she cautiously reached out to take the lady’s arm and extended it fully with only a subtle bend at the elbow. Trusting the arm would be kept in place, she again gestured to the birds by touching her nose and uttered their promise of security even to this new perch. “It will take time,” she addressed the lady kindly. “But soon you wont have to remind them that they are safe. It will come instinctually as they become more used to you. And I can at least start you on this path.” As she spoke, X’yrin continued to gesture from her nose to the arm, repeating the motion until the bold male finally fluttered from one arm to another and made himself comfortable on the dark extended arm. The remaining pigeons were not as brave and remained clutching the Nomad’s arm but continued to watch the male as he skirted along the arm. X’yrin smiled at this, believing this motion alone was a sign of progress.

“It is best that you make a gesture for them to understand,” she explained then made the motion of touching her nose to the lady’s arm. “They are not very smart, but can pick up just enough to make a decision of what is safe and what is not, or where to or where not to go. I advice only one gesture at a time until you can make desperate gestures for each of them to correspond to where you would like them to go. But for now… try indicating a safe place. Make the gesture”- she brought a claw to her nose- “then set a place for them to sit while repeating their safe word as I told you. There is no rush, so please, take your time.”

409 words.

[/html]
[html]
Invdegesv

Hokai!

Ulilohi watched the birds curiously. So, these were the things that would enable her to communicate across the south without travel? Clearly, they were fragile things, probably easy prey for larger predatory birds and anything that could catch them on the ground. It was good that there were three: she would have two unique pairings from which to breed eggs, and it would take some trying and failing to get it right. She knew some birds could only lay eggs so and so often, for she had had hatching places to seek for egg snacks in the Great Tribe, but she did not know how often pigeons laid eggs. X'yrin reached for her arm and Ulilohi willing gave it, paying close attention to the tutor's words and her instructions.

They cooed uneasily as the other female tried to convince them that her arm was safe for them. When the male finally moved over and almost investigated her arm in the process, Ulilohi could only smile at it in fascination. The sensation of their feet on her arm was one she had never experienced: was this what it was like to have a bird spirit guide? With a sharp sting to her guilt, she thought of her own lack of such a crucial element of AniWayan life, but it quickly passed as she reminded herself that it would show itself when it was time. For now, she could focus on these creatures. Intellect or no, they were very fascinating to the brown-pelted woman.

Listening to instructions, Ulilohi observed X'yrin's actions carefully before attempting to repeat it. "Like this?" she asked uncertainly, before speaking the safe word clumsily and lifting a claw to her nose and then pointing it back to the arm which the male pigeon was now sitting quite comfortably on. He seemed to relax more and more, eyeing the others almost curiously. Ulilohi wasn't sure if these birds could even feel curiosity, but it sure looked like it. The councilwoman repeated the action for many loops until one of the other pigeons seemed to become restless, and finally joined the male on her arm. Pausing the activity, Ulilohi straightened her back and smiled broadly. Such a feeling of accomplishment just from making a bird move by its own accord!

WC: #380
<style type="text/css">