Career Day
[html]

I got the green-light for starting a pack thread guys, and this seemed like a good idea for SS. Now, this is designed for the whole pack, but I don't think you're gonna be penalized if you miss it. Still, be cool and join anyway. =P

Tayui had told him that Shadowed Sun was a pack of learning, but ever since the five of them had joined together on the mountain, not much of that had seemed to be going on. He knew that he had been preoccupied with border defense and practicing, keeping up with his usual routine for the most part, that he hadn't made time to get very much help in learning how to read. Several individuals had helped him by providing their help part time, but he needed someone who lived nearby who he could meet on a day to day basis. Learning something right generally required that sort of environment, and this morning he had decided to bring the disjointed members of the pack together, away from their duties for a few minutes to discuss when and how they would do this.

Tilting his head back, the werewolf let out a howl that would carry across their modest claim of land, calling a meeting near its center, which he had traveled to earlier in the day. He knew that those who knew him well might associate his voice with trouble, since he spent so much time on border patrol, but he made certain that no urgency was in the call. This wasn't a demand, just an invitation. Everyone who had been permitted into the pack had a skill to share, he was fairly certain that this was a prerequisite to being granted entry as an adult, provided there weren't family connections.

Sitting cross-legged on the ground, the scarred yellow wolf waited for others to arrive. He would offer any lessons that he might provide to anyone that w as interested, and hoped that someone would be willing to teach him to read. He knew that Pilot could teach medical knowledge, and Tayui knew some of the low-speech. It was high time they had a public gathering to make their skills known to everyone, so that all members knew what teachers were available.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ttable.png); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

He had already decided to go, that he would be leaving Shadowed Sun...but he was having trouble actually getting up and going. He wanted to make sure that his father knew where he was going so that he wouldn't worry, but he was afraid of talking to him. Surely Pilot had noticed how different he looked...Sirius was a freak. He probably wasn't even Pilot's kid at all...which meant that his mother was a whore.

The small hybrid picked himself up from the ground with a sigh when he heard the call, starting toward it. His first and last pack meeting before he would go and plead to join the coyotes. He looked so much like them...that was where he belonged. Not here, with all of these gentle, teaching wolves.

The youth came upon Skoll and flopped down onto his side a few yards away, putting his head down onto his paws. Hopefully this meeting wouldn't last very long...then he could be on his way.

[/html]
[html]
yay pack meetings! this post SUCKS. no inspiration.

the ship of fools i'm on will sink

"Mmmm," murmured the she-wolf, peeling away the aluminium foil to reveal four large, steaming silver fish. Her stomach growled, but they were far too hot to eat yet. She set the pouch on one of the stones surrounding her small firepit and sighed, taking her pipe and tapping its contents into the fire. She probably wouldn't be able to eat all four; they were all quite large. Her eyes had been bigger than her stomach. Perhaps she should have only cooked two. The other three were fileted, wrapped securely in leaves, stuck in a plastic back, and cooling at the bottom of the spring just a short jog from her den.
Just as she began worrying over the surplus amount of food, a familiar voice permeated the air. Skoll was calling for the pack, apparently. Curious and slightly befuddled, Bleach stood, fish pouch in hand. She listened for a few moments in case of a follow-up call, then began trotting in his general direction with a smile on her face. Not only would she be able to talk with Skoll again and meet more pack members, she could share some of her meal. She had been waiting for an opportunity like this for a while. She liked feeling close to her comrades, which was most likely due to being a part of a crew for the majority of her life.
At last she caught sight of the scarred wolf, and a younger boy she hadn't met yet. Not many members, yet, which was fine with her. Four fish wouldn't feed an entire pack. "Skoll," she called out, jogging the rest of the way to him. "Nice to see you again. Want some fish?" The silver woman extended the aluminium pouch toward him, retrieving one for herself. "You can have some, too," she said with a smile, glancing at the boy.

[/html]
[html]
Woohoo~~

And I am Winter born

The relative silence that had permeated the pack lands for the past few days had been disturbing to say the least. IT had filtered through the trees and hidden itself away, hiding low in the undergrowth only to resurface again. Every time Tayui set out to do something, she had felt it. The overbearing quietness of the land had made her all the more aware of her own movements, of each step she took and the sound each paw made as it connected with the earth. All of it made her want to stop everything and stand there, waiting for the inevitable, waiting for nothing, and everything she could never hope to define.

She had remained still like that for five minutes- maybe ten- before deciding she would move again. But deciding to do something and actually doing it were two completely different things. She spent another five minutes telling herself that she would move, walk, run; anything. And then she did. She began to trot west, slowly picking up speed until she was moving through the pack lands at a lazy run. This was far more comfortable than standing, waiting for nothing. She grinned as she moved, looping around and heading back, slowing down as she trotted closer to the heart of the territory.

And then she heard it- no, him. Skoll. The moment she heard his voice, she felt herself go stiff, remaining completely still to examine his howl. There was no sense of urgency in the message, nothing that indicated he was in trouble, but... she would be careful nonetheless.

She changed her course, heading to the source of the howl. It took her only a few minutes to reach her destination, and when she did arrive, she hung back for a few seconds, examining the situation from afar. Skoll, Sirius and Bleach had gathered, all in reply to his howl. It appeared as though she had nothing to worry about. She trotted over to where the three were, offering a small smile to each. "Hello," she stated. "What're you planning, Skoll?"

Table by Hilli!
[/html]
[html]

Anyone else can still join in, I just decided to get it moving for those who have already arrived.

Skoll smiled at the offer, and quickly retrieved one of the fish from the pouch, beginning to devour it quickly before the group meeting was fully under way. Soon, three people had gathered around him in response to his call. He recognized Bleach, the humanish woman he had met a short time before, Tayui his friend (or had they been acquaintances only?) from before the burning, and the little boy Sirius, who he had seen poking around, but never spoken to.

"Basically, I think it's high time people started learning things. Maybe it's just me, but this feels like the other packs I've been to. I spend all my time watching the border, making sure to keep the skills I already have sharp, rather than learning any new ones." He didn't smell anyone else nearby even when the wind shifted, and so he had assumed that no one else was coming, thus he could go ahead and begin explaining.

"I think we should go ahead and establish what everyone can teach, as well as what everyone wants to learn, and then set up teaching sessions or even apprenticeships now. We've been here for a few months now, and maybe the activities of getting the pack situated took precedence for a while, but now it's time to do what we joined up to do." There was no aggression in his voice, but there was an assertive determination there. He wanted to learn, and Shadowed Sun shouldn't parade around as a learning pack unless there was learning going on. Far from criticism, he just wanted to actually experience what they'd all been advertising.

"I'll start," he said after a few moments, letting his words sink in. "I know how to fight. I've dedicated my life to it, learned from the best teacher I could have possibly found, and have over five years of experience. I can teach self-defense on four legs, on two legs, and with certain human weapons." He had a few other skills too, but that was his main one, the one which he expected people to most associate him with. "Alternatively, I know how to carve." With that, he pulled from his pack a small wooden carving which depicted a wolf howling at the moon in intricate detail. His skill with this was well-developed, though not to the same degree as battle, since he had only been practicing this for a year and a half or so.

"While there are only a few skills I can teach, there are several I would like to learn. The first is how to read. I have been trying to learn for several years now, but to no avail. I will need a dedicated teacher who can come up to my post on the border at least a few times a week. If that isn't possible, or in addition to that, I would also like to learn some first aid from Pilot, and..." he looked down at the fish bones he had left behind. "I'd like to know how you prepared that fish, miss Evers. It was good, I haven't eaten fish that way before. Now...what can the rest of you teach, and what do you want to learn?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ttable.png); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

He was already here, so he figured that he would make the best of it. When he was offered fish he shook his head. Sirius didn't usually reject food when it was offered to him...but he didn't know this wolf. He wasn't supposed to accept things from strangers. He lifted his head to listen to Skoll, ears perked as he considered this. This could be his chance! He could finally learn the trade that he really, really wanted to know more about.

"I wants to be a secret agent!" Ever since he'd told Anselm that he was a secret agent, he'd felt a lot cooler.

But he wasn't sure what all of that entailed. Sirius couldn't think of anything else that he'd rather be, though, except for that. Maybe the others would laugh at him...maybe it was stupid. But it was what he really wanted to learn.

[/html]
Sorry short post (I'm posting from my sidekick lols) [html]

Pilot had been tending to the garden, pleased to see that it had really begun to take root. He even hoped to gather a few new herbs and things to add to the collection. He aimed to head to the city to see if he could salvage any bottles or jars and other supplies for making medicines. When he heard Skoll's voice, however, he left the garden behind and headed off towards his warrior friend.

When he arrived he saw that there were a few others who had already gathered around, including his son. He smiled to them and took a seat next to Sirius as he listened to Skoll finish what he was saying. "Sorry I'm late." He added after his son revealed he wanted to be a secret agent.

[/html]
[html]
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... m_bot1.jpg) no-repeat bottom; padding-top: 20px;">

OOC:
I'll be joining too, and hopefully it's soon enough not to disrupt the flow of the thread

IC:

Urma had been out hunting. She now rested on the bank of the stream, her tummy full, lying down on her side and watching the water run onwards to the sea. She tried to picture different stories for the water drops, but found that reminded her of the places she had left, and her road, that had been so far as unexpected as the next turn in the river was. She planned on settling in and enjoying this day, when she heard the howl of a fellow pack member. She immediately sat up, the times when Mörker called to her former pack members fresh in her memories. She headed in the direction of the call at a quick pace, wondering what this was all about.

She stopped a bit away from the small group that had already assembled, but she was close enough to pick up what the wolf that seemed to have made the call was saying. She heard Sirius's answer and chuckled slowly, before spotting Pilot approach the group. She had already seen Tayui, whom although she hadn't met, knew was a leader alongside Pilot. Urma watched the other members and, interested in what the wolf was saying, she edged closer, slowly, before deciding that these were her fellow pack members, and there was surely nothing to be afraid of, in their company. So she closed in the distance between herself and the small group and reclined to her haunches just a little way away from Pilot and Sirius, not really looking in their direction, instead looking at the wolf that had been speaking so far. She knew him from when she had seen him patrol the borders, but they hadn't ever spoken. As the words he had said and she had heard from a distance made it to her brain, the immediate uncertainty that she had anything to offer took over her senses. She tried to make herself as small and unobtrusive as possible, while still paying a lot of attention to the course the conversation would take.
[/html]
[html]
shorrrt.

the ship of fools i'm on will sink

When Skoll took a fish, and the boy made it known that he didn't want one, she backed away to the edge of the gathering as Tayui approached. After returning the smile she recieved, Bleach began to gulp down warm bits of fish as the scarred wolf began speaking. What he said made sense; she hadn't done much teaching or learning (other than reading her herb book, of course) and that was the whole basis of the pack, wasn't it? She nodded at his ideas, and smiled when he referred to her fish, slightly embarassed but pleased nonetheless. Two more wolves wandered up as Skoll spoke, one of whom she assumed to be the Pilot that Tayui had referred to at her joining. The other woman she didn't recognize, but figured she would know her before long.
"Certainly, Skoll," she said, tossing away the now-clean bones. "I'll be happy to teach anyone how to cook. Cooked food lasts longer than raw, so it's a useful skill for journeys, long winters, and things like that." Bleach addressed the group easily, looking at each with interested as she spoke.

[/html]
[html]
And I am Winter born

"Hmm." Skoll's reasoning was valid; with all she had been doing recently, taking into account each member's abilities had been put off for a bit. She was glad Skoll had taken it upon himself to set this up. Skoll continued talking, and Tayui found herself nodding along with him. She still needed to ask him to teach her more about fighting. At the moment, she possessed the basic instincts every wolf had. She could fell an ageing caribou alone if she utilized her Secui form, and she did recall having fended off a bear once, something she still could not believe to this day. In any case, she wished to learn more to better protect the pack, for it would not do if one of their leaders could not hold their own in a fight.

She chuckled when Sirius expressed his desire, wondering if he might be interested in trying to learn, or even teach himself about spying to attain a co-rank.

She nodded to Pilot once he arrived, following this with another nod to Urma once she arrived. She turned her attention to Bleach as she began to speak, vaguely interested in this concept of cooking. Humans had done it a lot, and there had been pack hunts that ended with them eating their kill by a fire, but never had she eaten cooked food. This sounded rather intriguing, and she wondered if this skill might warrant the creation of a co-rank.

"Hmm, well, I can read and write fairly well. Pilot has been teaching me to speak low-speech, though, I'm not all that adept. I've been trying to write down the sounds of low-speech as a reference, but I'm still working on that. I have a large collection of books, so if you ever need one, check with me, since I'm pretty familiar with what we have. I love history and I've been working on a history of Bleeding Souls, but it's still in progress. I also have an affinity toward ghosts and the supernatural, so if you ever had any questions about that, I'd be happy to help." She chuckled as she finished, only then realizing how varied her knowledge was. She knew about history because she could read. And she knew about the history of Bleeding Souls because she could write it. One of her best friends had returned as a ghost after he had died- Fly Agaric- and had kept her company for a short time. Her mate had died only a few months after they had become mates, and had returned as a ghost, and still her mate, for nearly half a year. It seemed as though things had just happened that had allowed her to gain such an odd combination of 'skills.' "I also know a bit of French, since it was my first language. I haven't used it in a while, but with some practise, I might remember it a bit," she added as an afterthought.

Table by Hilli!
[/html]
[html]

Pilot and a she-wolf he had yet to meet approached the gathering, but seemed to pick up what was going on without needing it to be explained to them. Nevertheless, no one besides himself and the little one seemed to want to learn anything themselves yet. Then again, it probably made more sense to wait until a wolf knew what was available before making requests. As for secret agents, Skoll didn't really know what that entailed, other than a secretive personality, which most children didn't possess right off the bat. Still humorous, he spared a smile of his own, warped though it was with the lines criss-crossing his face.

He nodded to Bleach, glad of her acceptance to teach him. Hopefully that wouldn't be as great a task as learning to read had been. It tasted good, and given that he had so much time on his hands as he paced the borders, he would have no trouble finding the time to cook his food, he thought.

He raised his brows as Tayui's mention of spirits. He had seen several spirits in his time since coming to Bleeding Souls, though never before. First had been the spirit of the first wolf he'd ever killed, though how it had come to be so far from its resting place he did not know, lest it had clung to him and awaited bitterly its chance to lash out at him. VoidFane he had met also, much to his chagrin, a much more mechanical and cold version of the wolf he had met in the human ruins at the south end of Bleeding Souls. He had met Fly Agaric, and his demon BloodBane, also, who had struggled ferociously to keep the wraith VoidFane from re-manifesting in the body of Ember or Agani. He might want to talk to her about all that...most people wouldn't believe such a tall tale.

"Anyone else?" he said after a few silent moments. "Now's the time to share, and to request a teacher, also." He knew the two wolves he wanted to ask for lessons from, but he would wait until everyone else got to their needs, first.

[/html]
[html]

The meeting was brightened a bit with the appearance of his father; his tail thumped along the ground when Pilot sat down next to him, and he looked up at him with admiring eyes. He was glad that his father was there to hear what he wanted to be--maybe he'd find some way to help him become it. Then he remembered that he was going to leave, though, and his ears drooped a little. Maybe Pilot would understand.

The best solution that he could come up with was that he should leave and not tell Pilot that he was going...but then his dad would probably be mad at him for sure. "Can anyone can teach me?" He piped, frowning. Maybe it was better that he was going. Surely they would know how to be secret agents in Inferni. He looked to Pilot. Pilot knew how to do everything already...was there anything that he didn't know? "What do you want to learn, Da?"
[/html]
[html]
Tayui glanced from Sirius to Skoll, then back again. She knew nothing about how to be a spy, or any tactics that one would need to know, but perhaps she had a book on it? She suspected that one could not easily learn how to be a spy from a book, but it was worth a chance. There might be some sort of fictitious book detailing the life of a spy, even. If not, she supposed he could ask Skoll. Although Skoll was not a spy, he was a warrior, and that was the closest thing they had. After all, spies would need to know how to fight or defend themselves if they were caught. Certainly Skoll knew a thing or two about this.

"How much do you know about spying, Skoll? You're the only one here I could think to recommend for the job," she said with a small laugh. "Otherwise, I could only think we might have a book on it, but I don't know how useful that would be, or if you could read it...?" She felt fairly useless, but perhaps the boy would find a way on his own. After all, some things you just had to do on your own.

[/html]
[html]

Pilot placed a hand on Sirius’ shoulder, offering his son a smile as he did so. It was an entertaining idea that could perhaps blossom into an interest and skill that would be useful to Shadowed Sun’s members. "Maybe you could even try for the co-rank of Scout," he mentioned to Sirius.

The things the others talked about intrigued him, and he began to think of his own skills. He found it hard at first to think of the things he could do and that others would see as skills worthy of learning. He started hesitantly, building off what had already been said about him. "I grew up speaking low-speech, so I would be able to teach anyone if they were interested in that. Granted, I’m not the best teacher, but I’m sure we could work on figuring out a system of learning it." He smiled towards Tayui, because he had successfully been able to pass on his knowledge of low speech to her. He knew though, that a large amount of that successful was because of Tayui’s vigor and passion for learning. "I can also read and write, thanks to help from Tayui and Dierdre," saying her name tasted sour in his mouth – almost unfamiliar and forgotten, "and I would be willing to try and help anyone with that. Maybe you, Skoll," he offered to his warrior friend. "I’ve also gained some knowledge on medical practices and I suppose some gardening," he said with a small laugh. "I’d love to pass on my knowledge to anyone else."

He glanced towards Urma with a smile, glad to see her engaging into a pack activity such as this. He knew it could be intimidating when you were the new member and feeling like the odd one out. "I don’t know, Siruis, what do you think I should learn?" He asked his son with a grin. He figured some fighting skills would be good to know. Just a few basics, in case he fell into a position to use them (especially with talk of war looming over their heads). Maybe even some hunting, since he had never been all that great with it. But he would wait to see what other skills everyone had to offer.

[/html]
[html]

Alright, sorry to skip you, Urma, just trying to keep the thread moving (in my experience, the more people you have the faster the thread needs to go to keep anyone interested). Bleach won't be responding, so skip her. If we need a post order, how about (starting from where we are right now): Skoll, Sirius, Tayui, then Pilot? Urma, feel free to respond at any time, and that will be your place in line =)

At Tayui's proposal, at first he was a little flustered, before smiling humorously. The idea was...well, rather silly, once he let it sink in. He supposed he understood where the conclusion was drawn from, both his profession and the proposed one were dangerous, and had to do with conflict between wolves, one straightforward and the other very secretive. Assassins were often spies themselves, since blending in was sometimes necessary to get close enough to the target, or so he'd been told. Certainly he was associated with the practice of killing, which was...a rather dubious honor, if he paused to think about it.

"I'm not exactly inconspicuous, Tayui," he laughed. "The people I battle with know I'm their enemy. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I feel I would make a very poor spy." His refusal came in good humor, though he was sad that he couldn't help. He didn't really know any spies either, at least not by profession. He knew a few people who would give it a try, and probably be good at it, too, but that was a different matter entirely. He doubted Pilot would want his son leaving Shadowed Sun to mingle with Skoll's war-friends, anyway.

The conversation caught, as he'd hoped it would, and ideas began flying hither and thither between the members of the pack. Skoll nodded deeply at Pilot's offer of education, it would help him quite a bit to have more than rudimentary healing skills, as his opponents' ability to inflict wounds often outstripped his ability to fix them. This was going quite well, indeed. This was the pack of learning he had hoped to see.

[/html]
I got permission from Tammi to join and to powerplay Tayui greeting Hanna.

[html]

Dressed to the nines again, as Hanna found she was staying more often, the she-wolf made her way to Shadowed Sun's borders. She was on her way to return a book to the library, one on phlebotomy. It detailed how to draw blood and how to test the blood for different minerals and even for impurities that might make a person sick, or in some cases, die. She knew Pilot had said she could come around any time for a book or two, all in the name of learning, but Hanna still preferred to err on the side of manners. The ebony-furred lady tilted her head back and called out for someone to escort her. It didn't take long for Hanna to see a white female with blonde streaks who she vaguely remembered from puppyhood. The lady introduced herself as Tayui and after hearing Hanna's request to cross for the library, mentioned that the pack was discussing learning and teaching, and would she like to come? Hanna agreed, and followed Tayui to a spot where sat a couple wolves she knew, and a couple she didn't.

Pilot was there, as was Skoll. She'd met both men before the fire, Pilot because she'd tattooed his wrist and Skoll because.. well... she'd attacked him for no reason and lost horribly. Her cheeks grew hot with a bit of embarrassment. Also in the circle was a younger boy -- Pilot's? -- and two other females. She sat down and addressed the group. Hi. My name's Hanna. I'm the medic of Dahlia de Mai, but I'm very interested in learning new things. I also tattoo. Pilot is my example, for that. She looked around again. I'm interested in learning more about weaponry, and maybe some Low-Speech. I also would like any information people can give me on a good way to label my herbals.

[/html]