Forager
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... forget.png); background-color:#090905; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 350px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

It was certainly a ways away from the familiar grounds of the Wentworth, but the journey was well worth the short time away. With the inhabitants of the Wentworth still perusing the grounds and making camp, the fodder had grown sparse in fear of the predators that lurked. When small game such a rabbit and the occasional marten still lingered, they were not as filling to a hungry belly as the succulent meat of a young deer or handsome bull. It could have filled the small community for days rather than hours and their hides would have made wonderful collections as bedding for the wolves to rest on. But to accomplish this, first the kill needed to be made.

So her path lead the golden she-wolf from the encompassing grounds to the vast fragrant woods to the south trailing after her wounded prey. The dangers of a party of one were lost to her as her efforts to down the wounded bulk help precedence. She had travelled from the early morning without rest, stalking the prey wounded by her accurate fangs. His belly remained a gaping wound, spurting blood each time the beast attempted a quicker stride. He was dying... and the damned beast knew it, but he was a defiant male. And though his harem had abandoned him to the rule of another young elk, he remained resilient against the threat lurking not far away... waiting for his energy to dwindle and his last bit of life to fade away.

Without a pack to help down him, the wolf could only watch and wait for her prey to die, in effect attracting any that cared to smell to attempt and take the beast all their own. But while she waited for his life to drain, she was careful to observe her surroundings as well. Ever vigilant as the eyes in the sky that watched the wolf stalk the bull with gleaming pairs of red-orange and yellow eyes. At times the owl pair would sweep down to harass the animal by the call of the wolf, but never lingered too long to receive injury. They were meant to further stress the beast as though the threat of the female wasn't enough to drive him mad.

Quietly, with well muscled form parallel to the ground, she crept and waited. Eyes wide and anticipating, waiting for the labored breaths to convey he was ready to die.

404words.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 408 OOC: Why hello there!

Niro was off hunting for his mate, children and sister. He left them together while he went off. He was the hunter after all and with Marahute, it would be easy to find the prey, just killing it would be the tough part set on his own shoulders. Whistling to the golden eagle to search the ground from the skies Niro shifted into his Lupine form. It was easier to keep up with the large bird, and quicker for him to get at his prey. He made his way towards the bird at a leisurely pace. He didn’t expect her to find something so quick, however and with luck it was almost dead! He could see the bird bobbing up and down a few times, which was a sign saying a near dead animal was where she was at. The eagle then proceeded to swoop down at the Elk’s face grabbing for its eyes, though she couldn’t grab them, it was a tactic she used to make him use far more energy than he would have otherwise, she was not afraid of the animal, though she kept a respectable distance as he was unpredictable, though she kept swooping up and down, at the animal, scratching his face once or twice but doing little damage.

Niro raced to where he could see the large eagle flying his heart racing, he wondered what it was because she was a skilled hunter herself, and though he told her to track, she was quite capable of killing even a goat. When he caught sight of the animal, nearly dead and bleeding profusely, he grinned. It seemed something had cut the belly.... that was when he saw the other, his smile faded when he saw what was really happening. His friend and companion was harassing someone else’s kill. He gave a quick bark, signaling the bird to stop. She did immidiately. She was about to go for another dive when he did but she swerved away from it. He sat though wondering if she needed help or if the woman like the suffering of the animal. He moved slowly, back so the elk was where he left it but moved around closer to the female. He wanted to speak but said nothing. This was her kill he’d help even if he didn’t get anything. He just wondered what made her think to go after something so large, and all by herself.

<style type="text/css">
.niro-gift b {font-weight:bold; color:#0f0f1e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.niro-gift .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.niro-gift p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.niro-gift {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#6086af; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FYhGD.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 220px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#cedce7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table made by Sorin[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... forget.png); background-color:#090905; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 350px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

As the Great owl made to sweep down again, his aim was effectively cut by another swooping down for the eyes of their prey. He shrieked as did the smaller female remaining aloft above at the audacity of another bird interfering. But while the eagle was only following the orders of its handler, so was the male, and to his handler he cried out in alarm to alert the stalking wolf before returning to his surveying height.

X'yrin was forced to pause in her stalk and witness this disturbance as it transpired. Her remained low to the ground with hackles raised and ears drawn forward in alert. For the moment her eyes were taken off the beast, she hastily swept the grounds for immediate signs of an intrusion. It was foolish to assume that no other would smell the kill, but she had hoped like a fool that the elk would have slowed to its deathly crawl by then. Time was not in her favor, and what little remained was better used now, than later.

Her plan was forced into action earlier than expected but no energy was wasted in damning the unfavorable circumstances. From her quiet stalk, she sprang into hostile action, charging toward the wounded flank of her prey on swift paws of death and vaulted onto its rear to hinder the first of his frantic steps. As her claws honed into his thick hide, he brayed and bucked indignantly and swung his crowned head around to catch the she-wolf on her already wounded and bleeding shoulder. But she held fast to him, endure the smarting cut of his blow with teeth and claws burying deeper into his soft flesh, riding the weak bucks of his flailing limbs as the gaping wound drained more of his life away...

300 words.

[/html]
[html]

WC:189 OOC: lil pp ok, you have the honors of having him die or throw niro off, XDD

Niro’s heart leapt to his chest as she seemed to not understand that he wasn’t going after her kill, or she thought that it was the best time.... either way he could sense the danger she put herself in and Niro sprang into action. He didn’t think about himself but he could tell she was at a bad position with the elk bucking weakly, though he still had power. Niro rushed up, growling at the distracted hooved animal, trying his best to dodge the animals flailing hooves, though it was nearly impossible to come out clean and untouched. Dancing to get to his front as he was distracted with the female Niro ran right for the animals neck, using his own power to get a good hold. His experience with a moose taught him not to be too confident and he wsn’t though in the process of getting to the things neck he recieved a long gash to his shoulder. A shallow one at least. His mouth found its target and he clamped shut. Hoping he had time to hold on as well as keep the other safe.

<style type="text/css">
.niro-gift b {font-weight:bold; color:#0f0f1e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.niro-gift .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.niro-gift p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.niro-gift {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#6086af; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FYhGD.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 220px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#cedce7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table made by Sorin[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Haste influenced her terrible aim and as she clung to the back of the beast riding its terrified bucks and kicks, she came to realize its painful repercussions. A will executed kick did its intended damage, effectively knocking the she-wolf off the back of the surprisingly resilient prey. But she would not claim defeat when other depended on her success.

She thought of them and panic coursed through her adrenaline fueled upon seeing the other leap for her game. Her lips peeled back in a hostile smile as she watched the male grab onto her intended kill as she took a brief moment to regain her footing. No… the meat was not his, but HERS! And she would be damned to have her efforts stolen away by circumstance. The killing blow would be hers, to claim the meat rightfully as her own and ensure her band would survive for days more. When the civilized tongue would have better suited the misunderstanding well underway, instinct dictated she not speak, but as as a hunter would. And again with reopened wound and bleeding shoulder, she proceeded a frontal charge to the vacant side of the elk’s neck and clamped down like a tightening vice around its cords.

Gradually the hoarse brays turned to gasps for breath as it began to suffocate on the blood rushing into its throat. The she-wolf clamped harder still, letting her weight drag down the impressive beast by the neck. His legs buckled as both the running blood and loss of air drained his strength. Futile as his efforts were, he continued to try for an escape, jerking his neck wildly to be freed of the two pairs of jaws wrapped around his neck, but inevitably caused his own demise. The cords snapped by an ill placed twist of his neck and finally he was still and silent. The autumn wolf felt the grace of his sweet blood upon her tongue and envisioned that the first trickle was that of his life draining away… the essence she had taken to make the kill her own.

She held fast for a moment longer, shaking her head to ensure the beast was damn before delicately unwrapping her jaws. In confidence over her claim, she placed a heavy paw atop its crown head, interrupted from her private ritual of savoring the blood to give her attention to the stranger seemingly bequeathed by the ancestors. Had he not appeared when he did, undoubtedly the outcome would not have been with her as relatively whole as she was. Softly, she whined her gratitude and offered a friendly wag of her tail despite her rigid stature, but by no means relinquished her position above the head of the carcass.

455 words.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 330

For a second he thought that the woman was going after him. She had such a hostile look on her face, but he kept his ground and she went after the elk instead of the man and he thanked all the stars, though he was sure he could defend himself, he wasn’t partial to fighting with other wolves.

They both held on and with her help the elk went down faster. He could tell she was upset and he knew why, after all he grew up in a world of “mine mine mine,” He wasn’t after her kill, only there to help her, yet he said nothing. He only kept his hold on the animal as it slipped away. He let go after she did and slowly moved back. An inquisitive look on his face as she looked on to him and showed her appreciation, though still quite agitated. He gave a polite nod.

“I’m not here to steal your meal. I think Marahute was, though she knows better, but I saw you were in a bit of a spot, and figured I could help.”

He said, feeling the need to cut the silence. The man was made of many words and it tended to pour out of his mouth like water from a waterfall. He wanted to make it perfectly clear to the woman that he wanted nothing of her meal in no way. He was just a stranger passing through to help someone in need, first it was the dying elk, he figured she would like the help to kill it quicker and relieve its suffering then it was her, who had rushed in blindly and he had not expected things to turn out as well. He looked down at his shoulder, which blood had oozed from the wound, but the blood had clotted. He licked it calmly but one of his ears was pointed at her. He was not ignoring her.

<style type="text/css">
.sleekniro b {font-weight:bold; color:#AD7E00; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.sleekniro-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:10px; color:#AD7E00; text-align:right; }
.sleekniro p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 8px; margin:0px;}
.sleekniro {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#DBBA72; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... robird.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:11px; color:#3C3226; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Her apprehension toward the other became more obviously unneeded as he respectfully backed from the kill. Though words were still the main communication of these lands, she still resorted to her first 'language' of gesture to convey suspicions and well as speak. Were it not for his break of the silence, she would have carried on as the Nomads had without consideration that her language would not be understood.

Her ears perked attentively and brows raised and creased with interest. He hadn't intended to steal? Well now the she-wolf felt foolish for endangering herself as she did. A woman of few words except for when the time demanded them, she let her downcast eyes speak of the embarrassment she had for her behavior. Both head and tail lowered bashfully as she humbly stepped down from her claim. "Oh..." she uttered softly. "Please forgive my actions... I do not consider myself a selfish creature... but I could not afford for this meal to be stolen." Shamefully, she averted her eyes. "I am ashamed to have assumed the worst of you, after you selflessly offered your aid to me. I am grateful, truly."

Each word was lavished with the taste of blood on her maw, satisfying her starved pallet in a strange appeasement for the gorge. There was great difficulty in keeping her content growl low and modest, but why subdue the glee for such a wonderful taste? She was quite glad for her words of gratitude, for they allowed her to smile and convey the pleasure in both his assistance and the taste of fresh blood. As she lapped the gore from her muzzle as cleared away the stench of the animal's blood, she came to better smell the essence dripping from the unknown male, and swiftly her tones of pleasure morphed into a sorrowful song. "You were injured... my friend, I am terribly sorry," she whined, taking a bold step toward him. "Perhaps I could help?"

326 words.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 337

Niro could see the tension ease away from her the further he got from the Elk. She must have a family to feed if she needed such a large animal. He let himself smile and shake his head as she spoke. He did not want her to feel ashamed, he knew what it was like to have to feed a family in a world full of theives, though at the time it was just him and Orin.

“No need to apologize. I am sure any wolf would take it if they could. If I weren’t confident enough I could get a catch for my family today I would have gone for the elk being already injured. I am not starving though. You have every right to protect what is yours.”

He did take her apology kindly htough. He had risked his life after all, but it was good for it. She seemed in need of the help and he, being who he was, tended to do a lot of the helping. He looked at her when she offered to help and he scootched up a little to allow her to take a look. He knew it was shallow but any help was welcome he had seen what infections could do to even the small cuts.

“By the way my name is Niro Takekuro.

He said, watching her, doubting she would attack him now that he showed her he was acting nuetrally.

“Perhaps I can help you cut the meat up, and make something for you to carry it in? I’m pretty good at skinning things.”

Niro offered. It would take him a while and though his family was waiting they weren’t starving the pups still took their mothers milk and even she might be a little hungry but he knew she could go longer without a meal. This woman seemed in need of immidiate help or else other less helpful predators would come along.

<style type="text/css">
.sleekniro-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:10px; color:#AD7E00; text-align:right; }
.sleekniro {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#DBBA72; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... robird.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:11px; color:#3C3226; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Through experience from prior encounters she had with other creatures of this vast land, she expected first for her offer to be rejected, coupled with a more apprehensive nature to her neutral offering. But she was surprised when he accepted, inching a bit closer to allow her to survey the wound more in depth. Graciously, she fanned her tail as though he had granted her a wonderful gift and proceeded to smell and gentle test the wound for hints of infection.

As she further inspected and run her tongue across the wound to clean and encourage clotting, a forward drawn ear caught his name and dutifully noted it to her growing compendium of generous souls she had come across in her time here. She whined pleasantly before withdrawing her muzzle. "It is a pleasure Niro Takekuro," carefully she sounded the name to ensure she had repeated it as successfully as it was spoken. "I am X'yrin, an Exultare... a warrior to the Nomads of the far North." Both name and title were given not only as words but as a prideful extension of herself, all a single phrase that describe much more than a sound for her given name.

There was no reason to give her title in Ichika, for it was a word that no longer held meaning to the small family still in the Wentworth. But thinking of them made her realize the time she had spent away from them, and reminded her of how urgently they needed this meal. The autumn woman was all too glad to take the further assistance of this stranger, provided it was all in good will. "That would be wonderful," she sighed happily, already stepping around to the other side of the elk. "If we could keep its main body intact its hide can be used later. I am well used to"- what had her young pupil called the act at one point? Tanning?-" tanning the skin. No resource is wasted," she boasted with pride. At a thought, she turned her amber gaze to her companion. "But of course, we can share this meal. You have others to feed, yes?"

358 words.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 592 OOC: I think I missed playing Niro lol!

When it came to the area, Niro felt he could trust most, and Xy’rin had sounded sincere when she asked to see his wound. He was no good at the whole healing thing, and he knew his mate would take care of it in the end, he just didn’t want to offend te woman before him. He could tell she was in a way old fashioned, especially in protecting her meal. He listened to her name as he closed his eyes shut as she licked the wound clean.

“The far north huh? What brings you down south? Just a need for a little bit of the warmer climate?”

He asked. He had lived his first six months in climate far warmer than this but he had been in these lands for a year and a half now. He loved the cool temperatures that he had been made for. He could understand why some wanted to be warmer, he had just spent his winter near Alaska keeping two pups from freezing to death before heading home. He nodded at her acceptance of his request and smiled.

I left my tools in the brush, give me a second ok?”

He called Marahute down from her perch in which she had sat waiting for him to call to her. She had sat there since he had called her off the hunt. Niro spoke to her in a soft bird call that she could understand. He could somewhat speak her language, but only the rudimentary stuff, just enough for her to know what he was saying, even though he knew she could understand high speech perfectly well she responded better with her own. The golden eagle took flight and he turned to the woman who had offered him some of the meat.

“No I couldn’t. It’s not my kill to take. I do have family waiting for me, but they are not starving I can take down a few animals. Marahute’s pretty good at helping me if you couldn’t tell.

He said pointing his muzzle in the direction the bird went. It would take her a few minutes to get his belt he had hid in a bush not too far away. He normally wore it except when he was hunting, but he always kept it near him so that he could work on things immidiately. So while he would wait for that he figured she would need something to pull the elk with, he didn’t have a doubt she could pull the big animal on all fours, but it would be easier for something to pull and use less energy. He made for a few trees, turning to his optime form. He was self conscience when it came to changing. He only freely changed in front of his mate and his sister and sometimes his children. There was no reason why, it just felt like it was a private thing to him.

“Perhaps you can help me find some sticks strong, sturdy. I can make a makeshift pulling thing for you so you can get the whole thing home.”

He said his voice raised as he moved around checking for what he wanted. He had plenty of rope and his knife, but they were all with his belt so it would all have to wait, but he needed the natural materials first. If he couldn’t find anything on the ground he would cut something from a tree itself.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]
[html]

ooc: I cant remember when I had her on two legs last XD

During her time on these still foreign lands, she had come to realize her own strangeness regarding her home community. While it was always described as a pack to the North, given the change in the season, they would have been well to the East if her memory of their trail served her right. Claiming the North always seemed easier to comprehend, both for herself and those that did not know of her culture, limiting her reason for going into the description of the Endless Path and how it led. But it was rooted deeply within her and despite its complexity, she was made to speak of it again with a smile.

"Not so much for the warmer climate," she contested while giving the wound a final cleanse. "By culture speaks of an Endless Path that carries stray souls from out home to find a fitting course for themselves. I was...rather, I am still on this Path and was brought to these lands some time ago." Lapping her maw again, she turned her golden muzzle to the blue overhead with a fond smile playing on her lips. "But I do miss the chill of the North. This climate still takes getting used to... though the air is much more fragrant during this season... very pleasant."

When asked for a moment to retrieve his tools, the woman sat patiently as the eagle was sent off on her errand. Looking at the relationship between bird and handler, she was compelled to evaluate her own relationship with the two owls hanging overhead. Aside from occasionally acting as scouts neither had been conditioned in such a way to retrieve anything other than small game, the largest of the two more so than the smaller female. But then, what was there for either of them to do other than to act as her eyes and extra set of claws? They were guides more so than tools... but still the woman found herself thinking.

Once bird and tools returned, she discarded that train of thought and revisited the meat still in need of sectioning. Seeing the potential to work, her preferred form was altered to favor the more dexterous, equipping herself with flexible digits in order to hold the hide taunt in the process of skinning. She hadn't noticed her companion had run off until her form settled and she combed back the wild bangs from her eyes to see him returning, his form also changed. She looked to him with a curious tilt of her head and an ear perked in curiosity. Was he not used to changing in front of others, she wondered. Or perhaps it was a taboo to be exposed. She recalled an embarrassed look upon the New Dawn Alpha's face when he had seen her change without consideration and felt quite embarrassed for doing so yet again.

But as she opened her mouth to apologize for her inconsiderate behavior she was distracted by instruction and about jumped to her feet to comply. "Of course," she replied in a calm, quiet tone despite the excited sway of her tail. "Let me see what I can find..." Briskly she walked into the surrounding wood, nearly tripping over herself as she reacquainted herself with the use of two, rather than four limbs.

548 words.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 450

Niro was paying attention, but he knew nothing of what she said, and though it seemed heartless he wasn’t sure he cared much for it, but he would listen for he did ask and he nodded as she spoke, understanding in a way of what she meant. He smiled thinking that his own sister had come here with a dream of a fairy tale. one she soon learned wasn’t to come true. The leader didn’t fall in love with her. In fact he left all together. He couldn’t say it was the same situation, but she had come here looking for something just as this woman had.

“Yes the cold isn’t always that bad. I grew up in a warmer place than this. So this place is quite nice for me at least.

He said only before he went to speak with his companion. Marahute wasn’t just any bird to him. She was his family. He had her since she was inside her egg. Sure he stole her and he knew that she may or may not have survived in a nest of three eggs so he felt he did the right thing. She had been a part of his life for two years now and he couldn’t be any less thankful. They had a special relationship together, one that was like him with his own full blooded children. He didn’t think of his questions as orders nor did she think to question his requests. He averted his eyes as she changed. He knew many didn’t mind changing in front of anyone. Despite all his training, he knew Jiva did it as well. So he only turned back when she spoke and stumbled over her feet a little. He smiled a little and continued his own search when Marahute came back holding his belt. He grinned and wrapped it around his waist. It was full of different things. Dried food for the birds, rope, string, two knives and a few other assorted things. The only thing that was missing that he usually wore with it were his custom leather gloves, but they were with his mate. He stroked Marahute’s beak and tossed her a snack, which she took and flew to the nearest perch. He turned away and exclaimed happily as he spotted a good stury and long enough stick. One down, he was sure they could find one more. He pulled the one he found back towards the dead elk. The limbs had already been chewed stomped or just plain gone from being on the ground for so long. So he wouldn’t have to do much to any of it at all at least.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]