[aw] Pockets full of stone
[html]
room for one, they're on the borders, though just a bit outside of them. I'd like for them to get passage through Vinatta to the other side.
wordcount ► 352

Golden limbs fell over themselves as they tumbled on the edge of the lake. The golden pup yipped as she pulled up mud with her paws. The sound of splashes echoed across the still lake, leaving ripples racing across the surface of the water. The female pup dunked under the water and came up moments later soaked in water and paws dripping mud. She yelped at mud, laughing as it splattered on her golden muzzle. Spinning around, the golden girl beamed at her father. "It's muddy, daddy!" she exclaimed, climbing up the small bank to lope in her awkward puppy gait at the man sitting against a tree. Her dirty paws pressed against his leg and he opened his eyes to peer down at the girl who looked so much like his sister that he could hardly see her dark father in her.

"Yes, it is, carassimi," he said gently, scooping her up in his large arms and holding her dirty paws away from his scarred chest. "Now why did you have to get me dirty?" She laughed at him as he rose from against the tree, flailing her limbs in a concentrated effort to flick dirty mud from her paws at him. She made little grunts of exertion as he carried her light little body away. "Noooo!" she shrieked as the man raced into the lake, jumping from the edge and landing with the water at his knees. Yvette flailed again, shrieking and laughing as she fought to escape her uncle's grip as he waded further into the water. When it was up to his waist he dunked down and held his wriggling niece into the water. "Dirty puppies need baths!"

Yvette wriggled out of the golden man's grasp, swimming to the muddy shore. "No baths for me!" cried the golden pup, paddling as best as she could in the deeper water. Gale turned and started to follow her, knees and arms deep in the muck. "I'm going to get you. I'm a caetus! I'm hungry!" He growled lightly, baring his teeth in a grin.

Images credited to Jason Pier. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01 .inner {margin:0 20px; padding: 0px 9px 0px 9px;text-align:justify;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
.gale_01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#9fd2eb;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
I'm still new, but should Yvette be listed as an NPC inside Gale's profile? Not sure. o__O

[html]

LUPUS Form

As a rambunctious child, Sura had devised many ways to get out of doing work, or even receiving task instructions. Her methods ranged from bathroom antics, cute behaviors, or merely running as fast as she could out of the house. Hael was the relative she stayed with, but she'd never taken into consideration how much effort he put into looking after her, nor how much she probably tired him.

The morning had marked her trek towards the boundaries of her pack, yearning once more to sneak out and be free, simply for the sake of disobedience, as she was ordered never to leave without adult supervision. As she neared the edges of the scent lines, hear ears picked up splashing. A delicious sound that carried high-pitched tones as well - perhaps indicating someone her own age. Carefully, she approached, ears held high, eyes taking in all there was to see.

She was silent for a moment, and then burst into fits of giggles, her entire body jiggling like a plate of jello in an earthquake. "Das not hows yous wowns woneone! Gots wold its wunder for a wong wime!" (translation, hover), she exclaimed. When she had settled down, she cocked her head in curiosity.

"Whys yous wies wown dat one? If yous no wants its, I wants its. I can be my new pet wock. Only not a wock. Is it for fwees?"

"

REFERENCES

[/html]
[html]
Nope! It's perfectly okay not to list her. Most people choose to for reference sake, but 1. the profile I'm using is persnickety and it's annoying to edit in more panels 2. I'm too lazy to put it in his wiki at the moment (though his history mentions Yvette is traveling with him) Smile
wordcount ► 407

Gale was the first to stop splashing in the pools at the new scent. Yvette would never have noticed it, her nose so close to the water, and her youthful focus not on the risks but on the moment. The gladiator stopped his movements and looked up, his aquamarine gaze hard on the pup. His golden brows furrowed as he listened to her puppy speak, having some difficulty understanding her mangled up diction. He had been used to Yvette's babble, but her words were always mixed with some sort of foreign language he knew better than English. He listened to the words, deciphered them and almost cringed back in horror. He knew something about killing, though there had never been any Naumachia at the Colosseum. It as such an old building that one would risk it and no one really knew how they were done. But he knew a thing or two about killing and the thought brought back dark memories.

"Yvette," he said once, a gruff call to his niece to cease her movements and hold still. By now she was at the bank and had all four paws in the murk once more, though her back was still covered with water as she peered out of it. "D-daddy?" she said hesitantly, looking back at him, then following his gaze to the pup peering at the two of them. But she saw another child, not a member of the pack he had been careful to avoid, because he had simply not known it. But it was the only way through to the other side and he would not drag his niece over a mountain. "I'm no pet rock!" she cried out getting out of the water with mud trailing after her. "I'm Yvette!" she yipped, caution easily thrown to the wind. There seemed to be nothing wrong with this pup, nor was she a threat to the hulking gladiator.

"You're from this pack?" he asked, rising to his feet, body drenched in water that fell off him in torrents. "Could you help us?" he asked, unaware of the laws of the packs here. He had grown up in something different than a pack, in a place ruled as a monarchy. There a slave could get help and orders from anyone in the family, child or not. It would never occur to him that he was better off looking for an adult.

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

LUPUS Form

There were two of them, an older man in optime form and a younger girl, in fact, seemingly near Sura's age. The thought of a prospective playmate persuaded Sura's body once more into a wag. Because, with Sura, it was never just her tail that thumped, but instead drew her entire hnd-quarters and ribs into the action as well.

"Whys yous wops..." (translation, hover), her words were barely audible as she tried to figure out the mystery of everyone suddenly changing demeanor. "I nots wuglies...?", she added, pondering if they reason their fun had come to an end was because of Sura's physical appearance. After all, they were looking right at her.

"I is an Sura! I habs wets wocks.", her brewing downcast expression quickly lightened as Sura echoed the mannerisms of the eccentric child. With the questions, she made a strange face, a cross between a frown , question, and surprise. I guesses sos, but I nots fweels wike it. It cauz I wides fwom webwyones. Cepts stwangers. I nose wides wom dems. But I dinks sos. I can hwelps! I goods at the welpin' ! Dis one time, I helps by wigs up warden! ", she elaborated a story in a single sentence, cleverly omitting the part about how by digging up the garden, she had nearly destroyed it, and merely made more work for the others.

"Wywette! Did chu knows dat we gwows wardens? And we gwows wopes and wuvs and eben wabies n' wuffs! Yeah! We gwow wuffs in our gwardens. When I gwows ups, I wants to be borns in a gwarden instead of warribes wom stowks. Stowks are wumb and wupid. I'd wader be gwo'd in a gwarden. ", she tried to talk to the young pup.

"Wat I welps you wif? Does you wants me to be worns you frowms da gwardens? Das wat you needs welp wif, wight?", Sura busied herself by scribbling with her paw in the dirt, as if a waitress taking an order. Woobs or nos woobs? But you don'ts wants to be worns as a guys, guwies make funnies noises out dere butts... ", Sura demonstrated the act by contaminating the air with a foul smell and tiny squeak.

"

REFERENCES

[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 346

Yvette cocked her golden head at the other pup, tongue lolling out as she listened with careful concentration. Her own tail was wagging slightly, though it was a pale imitation from the wolfdog's. Gale kept his eyes carefully peeled on the young pair, considering the girl was his last and only connection to his sister, and he was not about to lose her. But this seemed innocent enough, even if the child was a fairly strange one, with a fairly strange mind behind her innocence.

"Garwen? We had a garwen." Yvette could remember her garden back home, where her uncle had started to plant for the summer, with seeds deep in the dark black earth. She could also vaguely remember her mother, a white golden image shimmering in her memory. But now there was only Gale and his darker gold color in solid reality, a darker imitation of her own golden yellow pelt. "Momma and Lilia sleeps togethers in the garwen now," she said a little sadly, unsure of why they were there. She didn't know why she couldn't have stayed with them, and why her 'daddy' had to take her away from home and the little garden. Gale listened to this, felt his heart pang at the memory of burying his sister and other niece in the garden's tilled ground and keeping Yvette away from it all.

Gale wondered who this child was, and why she was alone and unchaparoned. In Rome, all the children were usually accompanied, though the slaves tended to be on their own more often than not. "No.. we -" he froze, wide-eyed at the pup's antics. Yvette stared for a moment then laughed at the other pup, half tempted to toot in response. "But you's not a boy!" she yipped, lower half falling forward and rear stuck in the air. "Can we go through this place to the other side, puella?" Gale was wary of this place, unknown to him as it was. If he found an adult, maybe he could explain things better.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Have a Niernan. 5 points for AW + 3 / 364

Niernans patrol had been little more than a stroll around the borders, the day was fine and he had dismissed his brother, sending the caramel man back to the village to get some rest. He plodded on towards the lake, hoping to paddle his paws for a bit, maybe gaining a little time to himself for once. It wasn't long before the sparkling surface of the lake came into view, but along with the sight of the lake came the scent of a pack member and two strangers. Panic flared within him as he recognised the pack scent; that of their youngest member, Sura. He sped forwards, his paws eating up the ground between him and the puppy.

He burst into the open space between the lake and the treeline, his cerulean eyes immediately taking in the situation. It seemed Sura was half playing, half chatting with the strangers. One of them was a pup a bit older than the little border collie, the other a golden furred man. Niernan stood upright, his ears flicked forwards and his tail held slightly upright. He diverted his gaze from the man for the moment and turned to his packs resident trouble maker, Sura. You know you shouldn't come to the borders alone. Everyone will be worried sick about you. How do you think Hael is feeling about you going missing, hmm? He asked, his eyes full of adult authority. He knelt down beside the pup, hoping that the unpredictable Aeska wouldn't run off or do something equally daft, I thought you were going to be a good girl and do as you were told? He half asked, half reminded. He sighed, realising that any control he had on the pup would be hard won.

He straightened after a moment beside his pack member, his gaze drifting back to the stranger. He bowed his head slightly in greeting, launching straight into giving his name, I'm Niernan Stormbringer, you have reached the lands of Vinatta. How can I help you? He was polite but still more than a little bit wary, it still hadn't been that long since the attack on Colibri and his nerves were still on high alert.

<style type="text/css">
.neiot b {font-weight:bold; color:#d99e6f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #100802; }
.neiot p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.neiot {margin:0 auto; width:520px; background-color:#3d2414; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/EBZI5.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 390px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a96b44; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.neiot p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.neiot p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

LUPUS Form

All was well and good within the mind of Sura. She had talked to them, and they had liked it. She had told stories, and they had laughed. She felt no discomfort and felt perfectly at home. She laughed and giggle just like the little girl did, her stirrings deep with her heart longing to be the closest of friends. But the man always seemed nervous to her.

As she opened her mouth to reply, she found that she could not, because another voice boomed that was neither small, feminine, nor hers. Her ears swiveled to meet the newcommer, and her heart and body shrank at the sight of the man who treated her like a child. He did not talk to her like Colli did, who challenged her mind and heart and taught her new things, but rather like an adult made to tell her what to do. She listened only half-heartedly.

He wasn't going to know about it until you came along. Besides, I wasn't breaking his promise to stay inside the packlands., she answered mentally, but her vocals didn't have the courage to utter the words.
"You bawsy." (Translation) , was all that she could manage, and turned to slink away with the air of a Bad Dog Who Was In Deep, Deep Trouble.

She felt sure that Hael would hear about this now, and it was hardly a good way to start her new life. Slinking off obediently, but not because she wanted to, she took one last look at the friend her age she'd almost made, and then scampered off back towards the center of the lands. Maybe she'd find a frog to torture as a vent for her frustration. They did make rather odd sounds when one popped their eyes out.

-- Sura exits --

"

REFERENCES

[/html]
[html]
yay! Big Grin thanks Sura <3
wordcount ► 325

Before they could talk more with the pup, another scent approached. Gale looked up with his pale eyes and almost breathed a sigh of relief from the sight of an adult. He approached the bank of the lake, mud squelching underneath his toes. He stood, dripping with water, on the dry bank with the golden pup pressing back against his wet legs. Her small body wrapped around the back of his legs, as she hid at the sight of another man, an unknown man. So far, her education against the wiles of men had not yet begun but she was careful no matter what. With anyone who her 'father' approved of, the boisterous pup was an energetic ball, but with strangers, she was entirely withdrawn from everyone.

The stranger lectured the even stranger pup, and Yvette watched the hybrid pup turn tail and return to the interior of the pack. Her ears were flat as she looked up at her 'father', wondering when the next time would be where should see another kid her age. He felt bad, certainly, for not having any playmates for the girl to play with, but it was hardly his fault. No, it was entirely his fault, and it hurt to know he was isolating his sister's last daughter. "I am Gale." He looked down at his niece, huddled against his leg. "Just Gale. This is my daughter, Yvette," he said through his strangely heavy accent, a mixture of Italian, English, and something else with an ancient flavor.

"We're stuck," he said, gesturing around him. "Lake here and another pack to the north, with a mountain beyond them, from what I was told. Freetown did not tell me there would be packs here. We're trying to get around to the other side. May we get passage through?" he asked humbly, bobbing his head at the other man. Yvette mimicked his movement and bobbed her large head down.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Nier is such a sucker for pups. 5pts / 517

Sadness and a little bit of guilt filled his cyan eyes as he watched Sura plod back off into the pack lands. He had never meant to remove the pup from her play situation, and he had not wanted to treat her like a child. He knew that she had a streak of intelligence as wide as an ocean, but he couldn't help worrying about her: She was too smart for a pup her age, but lacked order or rules by which to express her smarts. He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment and murmuring his thoughts, I think I'm in trouble. He opened his eyes and turned back to the man and pup with a smile. As he turned he noticed the pup hiding behind the man, a questioning look on her face as she gazed up at him. Another stroke of sadness hit him then; he had removed this pups new play-friend. It seemed he was doomed to play the 'bad-guy' to pups today.

He was distracted from his melancholy when the man replied, giving his name and that of his daughter in a thickly accented voice. He couldn't quite pick out all the components of the mans accent, but he could pick out the English and that made him smile. His own Irish lilted tones came then, A pleasure to meet you 'just Gale', He flicked his gaze down to the pup that was so desperately trying to sink into her fathers legs, You too Yvette. I'm sorry I scared Sura away, sometimes I forget I'm big and scary to look at, but I'm actually a real softy. Towards the end he spoke in a conspiratorial whisper, hoping that the pup would gain some confidence in his presence, maybe playing along. He sent a 'secret' wink her way before turning his gaze back to Gale.

The man explained their predicament and Niernan felt his eyes flick over to the lake, his cerulean gaze finding the other side with little difficulty. He coughed lightly and flicked his ears back briefly, his unease over the other packs presence on his face for a split second before he schooled his features back to jovial and welcoming. He nodded, Ah, well, we are both new packs and I would think that those in Freetown haven't made our acquaintance yet. He nodded then, a smile pulling at his lips, Sure. I can take you through the pack lands and set you in the right direction on the other side. He looked down at Yvette then, Maybe we'll see Sura or one of the other Aeska on our way through, we might even see my cat Ciaran, if you like cats? Niernan had noticed the bow of Gales head, and saw Yvettes as she mimicked her father, he bowed his slightly as well, showing respect for the loners and telling them that he wasn't the most dominant member of the pack. He turned slightly and gestured for them to follow, So, where are ya headed? He asked, hoping that they said somewhere he knew so he could guide them correctly.

<style type="text/css">
.neiot b {font-weight:bold; color:#d99e6f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #100802; }
.neiot {margin:0 auto; width:520px; background-color:#3d2414; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/EBZI5.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 390px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a96b44; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
awwww that was sad. cx
wordcount ► 420

Yvette smiled slightly up at the man, her shyness fading away as the man continued to talk and her father seemed to relax. He did relax, though his shoulders were sill taut but the rest of him certainly seemed calmer with an adult to talk to and reason with. And he seemed pretty reasonable. As the conversation went on for a bit, the golden pup moved from behind her father's legs and stared up at the brown canine. She was not used to too many canines and the voyage to Freetown had been the same handful of men and women for weeks. Freetown had been a smack to her senses, as their brief stint in London had been. "Soft like a cloud soft?" she babbled suddenly, tongue lolling. Gale chuckled at her and sighed at the innocence of youth. Well, almost all youth, he thought, remembering Sura's strangely twisted words. Her tail flicked slightly in a mock wag as she listened to the two adults talk.

Gale nodded at the man's idea, figuring they would have to have been made recently. The people at Freetown seemed fairly certain that these packs had not been here so they had clearly not made any routes through the area recently. The pack scents here seemed fresh, as far as Gale could understand. "Yes, seems like it," he said with his heavily accented voice, giving his words a hard to decipher quality. "Thank you," he said, with evident relief in the man's allowance and generosity. It did not seem like he was someone in charge but it was good nonetheless. Yvette scrunched up her face at the man's suggestion they would see the other puppy again. She would not mind playing with her, but her daddy seemed to dislike her for some reason. "Meybe.." Better not upset daddy.

"We're going to see what's on the other side." He had not meant it to seem like a joke, for he had a rather poor sense of humor. He had gotten so used to the men laughing at home, and their jokes of cruelty designed to sting the ego. "Find a home for us two." Gold and white fingers touched the silver cross hanging around his neck as he grabbed his spear and the lion skin cloak and slung it over his shoulders. Gale's eyes roamed to behind the other man, wondering what kind of place he would find here. "Can you tell me something about this place?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ahhhh lame post. 3 pts / 342

Niernans eyes widened at the mans golden furred cloak, he didn't know what animal it came from but it looked beautiful... and big. The spear was eyed with caution before he shrugged it off, the man seemed genuine and Nier didn't think that he would endanger his daughter. Nier walked back towards the treeline, assuming that the golden duo were following, just to make sure he glanced over his shoulder, the cerulean orbs beckoning. We'll have to a round about way, just to avoid the Sacred Grove, but our culture and the tempers of our Virding and Godja forbid outsiders to set paw there. He chuckled slightly and then shut up abruptly as he pictured a rather annoyed Lilin and Miskunn. He definitely did not want to get on their bad side.

The response Gale gave to his question about passing through made Niernan chuckle deeply, Naturally. He said. The mans desire to find a home for he and his daughter awoke a spark of recognition in Niernan, he thought back to the time when he and his brother had travelled, looking for their home. They had found it in the presence of family that they never knew they had. Vinatta was home now. Gale asked about 'this place' and Nier wasn't sure whether he meant Nova Scotia or Vinatta, he answered as best he could. Well, I don't know much about Nova Scotia, only that it's cold most of the time. But this pack I know plenty about. He shot a grin at the man, We are Vinatta, we were formed a couple of months ago and our culture is based on my family beliefs, which is the old Norse religion. We have quite a bit of land now, stretching from the edge of the human city to the coast line and a small part of the park. He paused, knowing that he tended to waffle when it came to his pack, he shot another glance at the pair, trying to judge if he had given the man the information he desired.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]