Deep, deadly reassurance
[html]
Out of character goes here.
wordcount ► 395

"I'm tired," whined the golden pup as she slowly walked behind the two-legged man. Her nose was low to the ground as he turned around to peer at her practically limping with a belly close to the ground. Without a way to carry the boar meat around with them so they had taken what they needed the day after for a breakfast and made sure it was a large one. The best he could have done was wrap some with him in a leather satchel he had scavenged from the large town. She was clearly hungry though the way her belly hung low and her tongue lolled without it's familiar smile. Gale almost whined as he looked at the poor girl child, her hunger easily seen on her face. The chances of finding another boar or even something big was out of the question, and it was unlikely he'd win against anything bigger than the juvenile wild pig he had managed to kill.

"I'm tired," she whined again, stopping as she peered up at her caretaker. He turned about and crouched down beside her, picking her up into his arms. She didn't protest, tired as she was as she hung in his arms, paws hanging over his arms as she stared at the greenery pass them by. With his long strides it was easier to cover land, and that was something he was glad for. But he was not trained for long distances at all, and it was not something his burning thighs and calves seemed to appreciate. "We'll stop soon, cara mia," he said softly, finding them a nook of closely pressed together stone that blocked out the breeze. It was a nice change of pace to the empty hills and mountains he was used to. It could even be beautiful.

Gale held Yvette in his arm as he used his free one to lay down the lion skin cloak and then lay her down on it. She lay, sprawled out with her limbs akimbo. "I'll.. I'll have to go look for something to eat. Stay here and stay quiet, alright, bambina?" But he didn't know where to begin on this grassland with nothing around him to find. Rabbits were not his forte and he rose, a golden tree in the sea of green.

Images credited to Jason Pier. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01 .inner {margin:0 20px; padding: 0px 9px 0px 9px;text-align:justify;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
.gale_01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#9fd2eb;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(323) she's probably got her travel gear on; leather armor and black cloak with a white raven (ala icon) on it.

That stupid bitch had the nerve to attack one of the slaves. Had she thought she might not be punished? It was unforgivable. Siv was furious and had all but demanded reparations, settling only because she could not afford to look out of control. The slave was treated if only for his usefulness, though this was not anything extraordinary. Still, her Northern blood ran hot and sought justice. She had taken instead to hunting, riding Hildr hard. With the antler-tipped spear she sought a deadly game, desiring nothing more than to tear something living from the earth.

She managed to find and surprise a herd of deer, and with her fleet-footed horse, chased them down. A solid thrust brought down a young deer, skinny and struggling. Siv dismounted not far from where the doe fell and, looping Hildr’s long reins over a branch, went to work.

The hide was ripped off and in it she wrapped meat, cutting and slicing it from the bone with a wicked blade. She ate pieces of it as she worked, bloodying her mouth, and in the end was left with a carcass looking as clean as if it had been picked by scavengers. Ravens hovered around her, but the Helsi paid them little mind. She left the eyes, head, and heart for them. It was ritualistic, and a symbolic gesture to her gods.

With the hot meat and skin tied onto Hildr’s saddle, she began to travel. It had not been very long before she caught a peculiar sight—a blonde wolf, massive and striking even from a distance. Siv was glad for the horse, suddenly; she was not used to men towering above her, and was pleased she still had height on him. The spear rested against her thigh, attached to the saddle itself. She approached him boldly, purple eyes wide and bright. His confusion was not hard to miss. “Are you alright?” She called ahead.

<style>
#siv-thor {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#siv-thor p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#siv-thor .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#siv-thor b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#siv-thor u { text-decoration: underline; }
#siv-thor b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
Sounds good! Big Grin
wordcount ► 303

He knew that he would have to find her some food before long. He was not sure of how he was supposed to go about taking care of a young child when all he knew was blood and battle and the grip of fear at the prospect of death. But he seemed to manage fine; neither one of them had their ribs sticking out and they both had a normal sheen to their golden pelts which meant they had to be healthy. Yvette was growing fast and she needed food more often than he did, full grown as he was. And he knew she would keep on needing food more often than he until she finished her growth. By then, he hoped, they would find themselves at home so they would not risk starving slowly and making rations last longer than they ought to.

Gale picked up his spear, feeling the smoothed wood beneath his fingers as he checked the point to see if it were sharp enough. It still had a point, not sharp enough to puncture his prodding fingers but enough to pierce flesh with enough force. He stood staring around him, trying to figure out where he ought to head to find a herd or something else. Then he saw the woman as she called out to him. His hand was gripped on his spear in defense and he noticed the one by her legs. He adjusted his grip on it and stuck the butt of it on the ground. "Fine," he said simply, wary of a stranger but still happy to see someone nearby with something that smelled fairly good on the back of her equine. "But my daughter and I have been hungry and I don't know these lands. Would you think about helping some poor viatores?"

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

trust no bitches :|

Siv had known what it was to suffer; she had carried her daughter across a tumultuous landscape, fought off every challenge that dared test her, and not only survived but did so admirably. Salsola had given her root. The blood of those killed had made her whispering faith into a bellowing command. Her body alone could prove Salsola’s ability to help the hardy prosper. She was all muscle (save the loose skin left from pregnancy) and womanly curves, black velvet pelt as glossy as dark water. Even her gear, her mount—these were promises of solid ground. It was not a life for the soft, or the meek, and those who subscribed to such conventions found themselves beaten down and weary in the harsh Northlands.

This man was not one of these people. He was not afraid of her; cautious, yes, but not afraid. The mention of his child explained why such a massive man might even know trepidation. Her smile was a crocodile’s, and it showed the too-long canines that glistened against a dark mouth. “I think it might earn me a tale or two,” she answered, and finally swung off Hildr. On her own two legs, she barely needed to lift her eyes to meet him. They were close of height, something she again marveled at. One hand held Hildr’s reins while the other remained free, showing she did not intend to use her own wicked spear.

“I have a daughter myself,” she admitted. “Come, show her to me. This has grown cold,” the witch added unhappily. “But a fire can fix that.”

<style>
#siv-thor {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#siv-thor p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#siv-thor .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#siv-thor b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#siv-thor u { text-decoration: underline; }
#siv-thor b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
Damn ho's don't learn
wordcount ► 343

His lips tightened at the thought of divulging information that may wind up hurting him in the long run. He did not know what harm it could do so far from the only home he had known, but he also remembered the repercussions his words could bring when spoken unwisely. Gale nodded as the woman dismounted, not much shorter than himself. He peered at her, marveled at the darkness surrounding her, but saw the spear safely secured against her mount and relaxed. The men and women of the clan that controlled their lives had a tendencies to run on the darker side, but perhaps that was simply their breed. He and his sister had been brightly colored, and as he recalled, so had their mother. She had been a white gold tone, but his memory could be old that he had added a glow to it. His father was not dark either but his family had a much more varied selection of colors.

Gale nodded to the woman and turned back to the rock, sweeping around it to gaze down at his niece. She looked up sleepily from the lion's pelt, evergreen eyes tired as she huffed. "Food?" she asked and the man nodded, his smile heavy. "Soon, amorita." She dropped her head but a happy smile had spread across her face. Gale returned to face the dark woman as she spoke of her food and he nodded quickly, rushing to pull together dried grasses and bundles of twigs in a nook of the boulders and stones. "Warm meat is always good to a hungry belly," he said, though he did not often eat his meat raw. Then, he gestured to the girl laying quietly on the pelt.

"Yvette, this woman is going to get you something to eat," he said gently, looking at the woman imploringly. He would trust her, but he also believed in the goodness in people's hearts, despite the evidence to the contrary he had seen in Rome. "I am Gale and this is my daughter, Yvette."

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

GOT 'EM. Let's repost this and I'll start a new one soon.

Even as she went through the process of unloading her horse, loosening the saddle so Hildr might be more comfortable, she was considering things. There was something familiar in the man—something she could not place—and it tickled the back of her thoughts even as she debated what it was she sought from the pair. The child was young and worn thin by the road. While her coat was still glossy, her weight was not that of a fat, well-provided for pup. Whatever instinctive motherly part of her existed yearned to care for the girl, and so Siv was moved, in some part of her thunderous soul.

The man began to prepare a fire, and Siv caught his eye. She smiled reassuringly and did indeed bring down the freshly caught kill. She had nothing to prepare it in, but improvised by finding a two-inch thick stick, broken smartly into three pieces. With her claws she cut two deep, gouged holes into the chunk of meat. This allowed her to skewer what was a thick piece of haunch, and as the fire licked into life, she worked slowly. The thought that she somehow sensed something recognizable in the man would not leave her.

“I am Siv,” she replied, settling near the fire to do her work. “That is an impressive cat,” she further went on, motioning to the lion pelt. She had no idea what it was, but imagined it to be a hairy cougar—albeit it bigger than any cougar she had ever seen. “Where did you manage to find it?”

[/html]
[html]
sweet :O how strict a master would Siv be?
wordcount ► 282

Yvette silently watched the woman do her work, her growling belly making her bolder with a stranger than she normally was. She sniffed and then panted, drool slipping off her lolling tongue. Gale watched the young girl nose toward the large dark woman with hunger in her eyes and felt so guilty for his inability to properly feed her as he would have liked. But what could he do without help? And thankfully, this stranger had come along to help him and his niece, who he had vowed to keep safe and sound for his sister's memory.

The woman gestured to the lion's pelt and the man's brows furrowed as he thought. He could not tell her that he had fought for others' pleasure and had almost died for it. He smiled as best as he could as he fed more sticks and twigs into the crackling little flame. "Lion. Lion pelt. Live in Africa, out on the savannah." He was not sure where in the world that was, but he knew it was south of Rome and across the Mediterranean. Broad hands gestured to the marks on his chest from the lion's claws. "Fought him and won, though he tried as hard as me to live. Then I got his skin as a reward." He knew that he and that lion could have been comrades, if not for both of their status's in the world. Gale was a slave who fought, and the lion was a prisoner captured to kill.

Gale looked at the woman, watching her butcher the meat. "Are you from a nearby pack?" he asked lightly, unaware of the woman's nefarious background.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

She'd probably take no nonsense, but not be cruel. She's just very firm. Also, lol Spartacus--Siv is being a creeper.

Desperation was what drove them, and above that, hunger. To live was to struggle, as Siv knew, and she saw this in the survivalist nature of their breed. The strong deserved to live, and to know what it was to be alive. Eat or be eaten, as it went. Only intelligence had changed that, and now came great new things for which the wolves could master. With cunning came people like Siv, who saw that they were gods as the men had once been gods and now masters not only of themselves but others. Before Salsola, she hadn’t known slavery—but she had controlled and dominated those around her with words and whispers and false promises.

So once again she came into this role, suited for it, and flourished. Her eyes watched the two of them but did not allow this to be obvious. The witch-woman dug into the folds of her cloak, to secret pouches and secret things that she carried. A leather bundle of sweet-smelling herbs was drawn, and she smiled as he described an alien place. Africa she knew because of the Egyptian. This wolf was not from that land. How peculiar.

“I am from a kingdom,” she answered gently, and looked into the frosty eyes of the golden man. He was magnificent. “You look like a fighter,” the woman went on, turning the red meat over in her hands. She rubbed the plants over this, thinking quickly as she did so. “Who rewarded you, for your fight?”

[/html]
[html]
She's conniving and i love it.
wordcount ► 283

Siv asked the expected questions, which Gale did not know how to answer with skill that would lead her away from further questions about himself. He stared at the fire for a moment, knowing the pregnant pause was more than enough to condemn him. The fire crackled as he stared at it, though the flames gave him no enlightened solution. "No one, I fought for myself," he answered eventually, his words slow as he fought back the memories of men he had killed, the jeering faces of the spectators, and the cruel blows of his training masters. If they left scars, he would have them all across his back. Instead, they gave only bruises and broken bones to punish. Scars were won and worn proudly. The lion's scars were proof of that. "There were rings for fighting, in London." He did not like lying, it was against his nature. But he refused to risk being sent back to them, back to his hell.

The woman prepared the meat, and Gale saw her rub something on the meat. Herbs? Oh, what herbs there had to be here, that he had not yet tried yet. London had been a place of opportunities but for a poor family, there had been only a plot of land and hunting. Perhaps the woman would share some of her herbs with him. "Herbs?" he asked, his mood brightening slightly as he moved to join Yvette. "Would you be willing to part with a few samples?" He had nothing to part with but he wanted so badly to find a home. "This Kingdom of yours, what's it like," he asked further, hoping to switch the focus from himself.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(305)

In that space of silence, Siv’s doubt and suspicions grew. It was no longer just a tickle; it was something solid, no longer in her head but now her throat, annoying and persistent, and she could not shake it. Whatever he really was, mercenary was not one of them. His mannerisms were too soft. No man who lived to kill would have traveled with a girl-child, let alone when both were so clearly starved. His lack of scars echoed her doubt; only three, deep gashes marked his chest. Sirius’ marks were similar. It was a fool’s courage that had earned them. She, without a blemish upon her, could hardly consider such things valuable.

She heard a shift in his tone, subtle as it was, and knew it for a lie. The dark she-wolf gave no sign of this, focused instead on the meat in her hands. Only his question drew her attention, and she looked at him as if she had known him for ages. The warmth in her face was a lie like his own, for the ice-laced heart within her felt affection for only one living thing. “I do not have many with me,” she admitted, smiling. “But I can give what I do not use.” And true enough, she passed the small bag to him—it was not dangerous, not like the others she carried. Only a mixture of catnip, mugwort, and what she knew as hedge garlic consisted of this blend.

“My home is a hard land,” the tall woman explained. “I suspect our Northern blood makes it that way.” A joke; she knew this was not half-so-north as some places in the world. Her eyes turned back to the golden wolf, but they were obtuse and the dark color of a fresh bruise. “Was that your first fight, the lion?”

[/html]
[html]
I saw this hours ago and totally forgot :|
wordcount ► 350

Gale took the bag the woman offered and opened it up after a glance at her warm face. There was no malice there and he smiled in return. A deep inhale told him of the contents of the pouch, warming his nose from the new and familiar scents. "Most appreciated, I assure you, Domina." Gale set the pouch on the lion skin cloak, prompting Yvette to nudge at it with her nose. She sniffed, then turned away disinterested with a sneeze. Her focus was the meat that was making her belly growl more. He bowed over the fire and gestured to put the meat on the fire, on sticks if needed to keep them from burning. The memory of the boar rumbled in his belly as he peered at the meat, the hunger in his eye matching his niece's.

The woman continued on, and the man knew he was dealing with someone shrewd and clever. That made him nervous. He was not the best of thinkers, and his was a moment by moment logic. Gale was best at simple, quiet things like gardening and weaving, but he was better at fighting for his mind was strong in the moment and his body quick. Here, he struggled with trying to lie to the woman, to be clever. He knew he could not win against her, not if she was more clever than him - it was highly likely he could not lie forever. "Ah, no, no," he said absently, forgetting himself as he pulled open the pouch of herbs and pinched out a bit to put on his palm. "Not my first fight, but the first alone against something so strong." He sniffed the herbs, then recoiled at the unfamiliar scents. "The masters were trying to kill me," he added, then flinched at his words. Masters. That was not something he had meant to say. Gale prayed that she would assume the ring masters and not his slave owners. "You say you've seen other cats? What kinds are they?" he said quickly, wondering if he had seen those species before.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(534) If you want to wrap this up with him passing out, we can close this up! :3 Maybe also start the new one? Aaaand mind me using PP with his "daughter" in that next thread? Just to have Siv keeping her close/etc.

The meat was placed on the fire, presently, as Siv listened to his speak. One hand moved back to her side, to where her own water-sling was, and this space of time was what ultimately damned the golden man.

The masters were trying to kill me, he said.

Everything—the tickle in her mind, the itch in her throat—it vanished. A gear clicked into place, rang clearly, and she knew. She knew what he was and why he was so unprepared to live in the wild despite his size, why he was starving even though he was built for war. This man had been trained, not merely as a warrior, but as a slave. No servant, no Free-born man, would use the term master. Woe to him, to come face to face with the Signorina. He might have found freedom if only he had traveled further south, if only he had missed her, if only, if only.

A secondary, smaller pouch was produced. It was filled with a sweet, strong-smelling liquid. It had been made during the war, and she carried it still—fearful that a wound, such as Salvia’s, might be further damaged by a patient’s panic. Odessa’s book had helped make it easy, but Siv relied on her own knowledge to draw the poison out such that it would not kill. The mixture (a fruity one, not quite mead but not quite wine) was passed towards the man as the meat began to sizzle.

“My Dark Lady,” she used the formal title despite Eris’ demotion, smiling at the thought of it. Things were certainly moving quickly. “She has kept cats for many years. One is large,” her hands moved, illustrating. “And spotted. He is from a land far to the south, where the Sun is worshiped as a god and wolves dare not go.” Siv was deliberate. As they drank of the sleeping draught, she would talk and talk and never give them reason to think she was avoiding the drink herself. “There are smaller ones, that live in our lands too—long of fur, striped of coat, black as night. It is good luck to keep cats, you see. A massive one, the color of old blood, he makes his claim in our northern lands. He serves The Tigress herself,” Siv smiled, waiting, timing her words and watching for the signs of the drink to take its effect. “Our new Commander, she is more like a great cat than any wolf. I have heard it said that she can take the shape of a tiger, and uses it to destroy our enemies…”

There it was. The glaze in the eyes, the swaying. Her smile turned cold. “You are the first Lion I have seen. My people believe that wearing the skin of the beast you killed grants power; do you think that so, my Lion? I killed the man who wore this,” she motioned to her clothing, which was indeed Boreas armor (if heavily modified to suit her frame). “Is his power mine now? Or,” she smiled thinly, the tips of her teeth showing as they always did. “Is it power to own a man, as one owns a cat?”

[/html]
[html]
by all means, pp her next thread and yep! we can close this up now.
wordcount ► 276

He believed she did not understand the gravity of his slip up. The woman passed him a drink from a leather skin. He eyed it, then sniffed cautiously. It was fruity, but it was not a familiar blend to him. As a gladiator he had drunk mead and ale and wine when water was hard to come by. Summer made it harder to get clean water and the old aqueducts were long since defunct. Gale was used to watered wine and this was something new. His aquamarine eyes peered at the dark woman before taking a drink from the skin. He did not give his niece any, for he knew that there was enough water here for her. Alcohol was not for someone as young as her. It was fruity and heavy as it slid down his throat. It sat rather thickly in his belly and he furrowed his brows. He returned the skin as things began to swim.

"Ah, leopards?" he asked, his words slurring slightly. Something was wrong as he slid against the boulder, eyes narrowing and brows furrowing. The dark woman was blurring in his sight began to fade in and out. Motion was different as he listened to her, half delirious. "W-wha..," he began, eyes jerking to Yvette who stared at her uncle in worry. The woman's features swam into his sight and he reached out a swimming hand to push away the woman and her words. "No.. own?" Gale knew what was happening but it was out of his control and he could not fight the drug in his system. "W-why..," he said finally, before slumping over silent.

<style>
</style>
[/html]