I pulled off your wings and I laughed
[html]
<style>#sieLoc td {vertical-align:top; text-align:center; padding:3px; font-size:11px; }
#sieLoc td.header { font-size:15px; }
#sieLoc #location{background-image:url('http://www.soulsrpg.com/images/BSMapPixels_subterr.jpg'); width:100px;height:100px;border:1px solid #000000;background-position:33% 33%;}
#sieLoc #pushpin{position:relative;left:45px;top:45px;}</style>

Setting Location Form NPCs

Date: 28 July (fordated)

Weather: Clear

Time: Afternoon
Optime
Hildr
Yvette

(411) They probably just arrived a little bit ago; also assuming A LOT but figured this would work? D: I SUCK SORRY

Returning to Salsola was only further proof that she had been visited by a god.

Siv would not have thought this if the signs were not there. She was a woman hardened by doubt and silence, and her faith had been tempered by such things. But that man…and now, to see that the Thistle King had gone from their home…oh there was something in the way of magic to whisper in her ear and fill her with cold and thunderous need for manifest destiny.

She would not have been so certain of things if not for her intuition. It would be weeks before she began showing, but she knew and this knowledge pleased her. Beyond that, she had done far better in the south than she had expected.

All of her goods had been sold or traded away, and she was completely restocked with things she needed. Dyes and oils, a new sharpening stone, even a copper basin that would make boiling far easier than she had imagined. Beyond these useful things were instead items of vanity. A mass of candles of various colors and makes, sweet-smelling incense, fine cloth that now decorated her home. These tapestries were thick and well-made, and would certainly help keep the cold out when winter came.

She had procured bits of jewelry and goods for her daughter and these remained in a fine furry bag, which to her well-trained eye saw the fine craft. It was various bits of rabbit fur and stitched and sewn together, and this mottled, square-shaped design was pleasing to the eye. Draugr would like it, Siv had reasoned, because it was the sort of quaint elegance that suited her daughter.

For now, though, Siv was seeking a more immediate problem. Gale had been taken under-wing during her time gone and Yvette, nervous thing she was, had managed to stay out of trouble during the trip. If this was kept up, Siv was hopeful the girl would simply grow into a position—what could be better than a slave who had been raised as a slave? Eris—no, Salvia’s—woman, the coyote, she was proof of this. Obedient, fearful, thankful.

The golden girl was perched between her legs, held with one strong hand. Hildr traveled easily towards where Draugr had spoken of working with the man, and Siv was curious to see how he managed without his daughter. Certainly he hadn’t left; there was too much goodness in him for that.

<style>
#siv-thor {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#siv-thor p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#siv-thor .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#siv-thor b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#siv-thor u { text-decoration: underline; }
#siv-thor b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
weee probably my last post of the summer ;w; college starts tomorrow
wordcount ► 505

It was hard to believe that he was in the position again, and that he had not run from the place. But Yvette was with the woman who called herself his master and he could not move without worrying about her safety. The woman was sure to be training his niece to be a slave and it scared him. He and her mother had both grown up as slaves and becoming free had been hard when they knew so little about surviving on their own. Yvette had the chance to be a free child raised among other children, but that had been tossed aside here. Gale wanted her to be a happy girl, and he had to make sure she stayed safe. So he numbed himself and resisted the urge to hurt and maim the women who controlled their lives.

He was used to this now, the customs of this place. It was a lot less demanding compared to the Romans, though no less dangerous. In fact, he felt the undercurrent of lies, poison, and power slithering beneath the surface of all the members. The King had scared him most of all, because he was a man who loved himself more than anything else. But the women were the true vipers; the men were all clearly dangerous, but the women looked dainty or stupid. There was something lethal about them all and he could hardly understand what it could have been. So Gale kept quiet and behaved, all to protect his niece in the clutches of one of these vipers. Who knew what poisons they had to corrupt the mind and body, especially the malleable one of a little girl.

Gale was on his knees in the garden, pulling late summer weeds out of the neat rows of herbs they had. It was mindless work, but it was work he had enjoyed on his own. He also knew he ought to find the berry bushes and trim those, pick any berries, and keep them watered even though they flourished with neglect. The small pile of weeds, milkweed, he figured, or something else. He kept them carefully on old linen so that none of the plants could drop their seeds and reassert themselves in the ground. But then he heard them, and then smelled them. Yvette and the master. Lips in a tightly pressed line, Gale rose from the dirt and brushed off his legs and knees, peppering plants with earth.

Turning, Gale eyed the woman, then his niece and a breath of relief spilled out of him. She was fine and she seemed alright. That meant that she had behaved herself, though he could see the tired look in her eyes from the travel. It couldn't have been easy on her. Gale turned his eyes to his mistress, and let his look go slightly blank. They all liked a stupid slave, and he could comply; it was almost true anyway. "Domina," he began, nodding his head a bit at the mounted woman. "Fruitful trip?"

Image credited to RomeCabs. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.gale_02 {padding:5px 0px 250px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/yR5kk.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#a02007; border: 1px solid #000; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px;line-height:12px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; margin: 0 auto;}
.gale_02 .inner {margin:0 10px; padding: 0px 9px 0px 9px;text-align:justify;}
.gale_02 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#480201; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_02 .wc {color:#f5bd16; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_02 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#000;}
.gale_02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000; text-shadow:#cf2a00 1px 1px 2px;}
p.gale02_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Existence was a circle, though it was one looped and woven by fates and the twists of a great serpent, deep in the roots of the World Tree. Siv believed in these stories as a skeptic might; she considered them possible, of course, but without proof she could not trust them. He had given her proof, and she worried (rightly so) that perhaps her doubt was wrong. As such things were beyond her, she trusted the gods to sort it out in the end—everything cycled, in life and death, and she saw further proof of this in the golden man who (by his own prowess or some chance of fate) had escaped slavery only to be captured once more. Destiny was a fickle thing.

The horse slowed to a stop as Gale approached them. Siv dismounted heavily, large feet hitting the earth with a dull noise, and hoisted the girl into her arms. “It was,” she admitted, and lowered Yvette to the earth. She scampered over to her father quickly and Siv stood upright, purple eyes searching Gale’s face.

“She was well behaved. I expect you were as well,” the witch said, and smiled thinly at the words. Her polite tone was hardly echoed in her hard, dark form. “We didn’t have much time to get acquainted before I left, so for now, I relieve you of this duty. Walk with me to my home; you will tend to my horse when we arrive.” Without waiting for a response, she swung herself back atop Hildr. The spotted mare snorted loudly and tossed her long-haired head, clearly eager to be done with the whole ordeal.

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
#siv-thor .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#siv-thor b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 336

He kept his gaze levelly on the woman who was his mistress. Gale dare not flick his eyes to his sister's daughter, knowing that such a thing would betray them further. But there simply was nothing further to go beyond what they were now. Both slaves, and one without a future she had been promised silently by her only guardian. The girl probably remembered her beautiful mother and her dainty sister, but now there was only her hulking uncle to watch her. Even at her tender age, she knew that she had to be careful when interacting with her uncle, and called him father out of habit. Even as a younger child she had thought him her father, and considered him so even if his blood tie was through her mother only.

Siv ordered him to cease his work in the garden and he would obey. He bowed his head in obeisance to the woman, deferring to her power over his and Yvette's life. As soon as she swung herself onto the horse, Gale plucked his niece from the ground like a flower and tucked her against his chest. His hands were shaking as he held her, and she silently tolerated this, for she had missed him in the days of their separation. And she knew that their life was a dangerous one, and caution was better. But how she missed running free. How she missed it.

"Domina, I desire that you inform me of what my duties would be." Some had body slaves, kept to keep a person's body clean, clothed, groomed. Others had their fleshy women, and soft boys, to keep beds warm and pleasurable. Others cooked, others guarded. There did not seem to be quite as much of that specialization here, as the number of slaves was so much less. "I do not wish to disappoint by not knowing my place," he added, almost amused. He knew his place. He was a slave. He was the lowest of the low.

<style>
.gale_02 {padding:5px 0px 250px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/yR5kk.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#a02007; border: 1px solid #000; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px;line-height:12px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; margin: 0 auto;}
.gale_02 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#480201; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_02 .wc {color:#f5bd16; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
p.gale02_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(354)

For as observant and calculating as Siv was, she mistook the affection in Gale for his fatherly duty. She, with her own offspring, had been equally protective. Once he had the girl coddled up like an infant she forgot about the thing entirely—Yvette’s use was null when she was in his arms. Her trust in her own skill was high enough that the idea of this giant of a man attempting escape (or rebellion) was laughable. Within these borders, he was powerless. As long as the girl was here, he was powerless.

Though Hildr walked, she fidgeted under the tall woman. Siv eased her with quiet words and a firm hand; she treated her slaves much like the horses, though (as she had learned from her superiors) one had more value than the other. “Obedience,” she began, and looked down at him. “That is what I expect. Above all else answer to me; you may be commanded by others, but you are mine. I am not cruel, as some here are cruel. I keep my words, bondsman,” Siv reminded him pointedly, and looked ahead once more.

“I keep this horse next to my home. She will need care.” There was no pause, no question to his skill. If he did not know, she would teach him. Somehow, though, she doubted he was half as stupid as the mute or the other foreigners that had met their misfortune at the Thistle Kingdom’s doing. “If you are worried about what the others might do to the girl,” she went on, casually noting this as if it had not been a fear of her own. “You may build yourself a place to live near my own home. I will need you for labor; fetching water, aiding me as I see fit. If you please me, you will see rewards granted.” Not freedom, but the illusion of it—this was something she had used on the others, manipulating their fear and hatred into a peculiar sense of generosity and worth. Stockholm as it was, the behavior served her (and Salsola’s) needs easier than ripping tongues from mouths.

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 345

Gale hardly expected others to mistreat him, especially with his mistress so high in rank in the kingdom. But it was nice to know that she had a moral compass of sorts. But they would have to wait and see. They had been owned by those who had thought they were the morally correct. His mother had been a slave mistress to a man who owned her like one owned a horse. He knew his place in the world, despised it with all his heart, but knew there was no point to fight. Had he been alone, without Yvette, he would have torn out of this place and made for another pack. Perhaps there would be a time in the future where the girl was safe and he could break free. But now, he followed obediently behind Siv.

Simple duties, and simple rules. He liked that. Though it would be so much easier to have a strict master, as one with general rules could be more easily upset with transgressions. But Gale bit back his intended reply and simply followed behind the horse, careful of the rear legs, and watched the woman ride. Clever woman, he knew he was outmatched by leaps and bounds. "Yes, Domina," he answered, knowing that whatever she wanted him to do with the horse she would explain, especially after he told her he knew little about horses. The masters rode the horses, not the slaves, especially not the gladiators.

"Where may I take my supplies for such a home, Domina?" he asked genuinely, not sure where he would find something to make a home with. Had he planks and nails, it would have been a matter of trial and error, but he did not know how to fell trees and make lumber himself. As for rewards, he wanted only for Yvette, for a girl who was forced to be something she had not been born to. "Will Yvette be trained..?" Gale prayed it would not be as a bed warmer, but as a skilled girl. Might God grant him that?

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

“Dead trees. One of the other slaves, Gjalda, he knows what you can and cannot take. Speak with him on your time, not my own.” A flip of the hair suggested that she would not expect any less. As his tasks were ended, his time for other things—like the vitals of hunting, sleeping, and such—could be dealt with. A black shoulder rolled under the raven winged cloak, ruffling the feathers. She looked often like a great bird of prey, with the glossy black so close to her own hair and, if not for the unnatural shade of the leather, dark. Unlike the white woman Wisteria, Siv’s allegiance to the night was clear.

At the question Siv’s head turned sharply, eyes narrowed. Her muzzle crinkled but she did not show her teeth. “If you mean,” she warned him quietly. “, in the ways of men, you should pray to whatever gods you serve that it was I and not another that found her. As long as she belongs to me, no man will touch her.” Siv had no sons and never would; her magic would not allow it even if her daughter implored her constantly. “She will learn how to clean and how to serve. If I see reason to use her beyond that,” the witch dangled this with a soft smile, but there was steel under the black velvet mouth. “, and if you give me reason, then perhaps.”

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 342

He let an absolutely audible sigh escape him as he clung to Yvette. She had begun to squirm in his hold and he loosened his suddenly tight grip and she relaxed, leaning her head against his chest. Not a bed warmer? He could breathe a lot easier knowing that she could be trained in something useful, like his own sister had been. Though, she had become a warmer despite her protests. But what was the complaint of a slave other than white noise to the ears of the masters? Some took it as disobedience and ungratefulness. Many who complained at the gladiator school or in his slave home would have been taken out back and beaten if male, taken to a master or one of his sons to be raped if a woman. Such punishment remained a permanent scar on a slave's mind.

Yet Siv's threat hung heavily over his head. The two of them would have to behave themselves, sometimes carefully, sometimes not, if they both wanted to protect the girl's grace and virtue. Yvette may not yet understand what it meant, or rather not know what it was, but Gale knew that for her mate that was to be saved. Now, it seemed that such a thing was not possible unless the shackles of servitude were lifted. How likely could that possibly be? Gale barely held his breath in that regard.

"I can teach her something, Domina," he said softly, knowing that he had some sort of skill that his sister would have liked the rough and tumble daughter to find. Perhaps it was not for her and perhaps it was, only time would tell. They would have to wait until the girl shifted for the first time to begin any sort of real training and that was months away. "I can teach her to weave once I make a loom and she has found her feet." He knew the woman's threat was truth, so he kept his voice meek and kept the insolent tone out.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(340)

Whoring was, to Siv’s knowledge, a profession as old as hunting. She had never, until visiting Freetown, experienced the exchange of a body for coin and found the practice somehow less satisfying that way. It took talent and skill to use one’s body—she saw it in every gesture and motion that Isabella made and admired her for it. There was power in sex and some, like her gypsy (dared she say it) friend, were among those who could court such powers. Concubines could become queens, if her lore served her right. Had she not, and did she not, use her sex for such archaic magics? Had she not lain with their King to show him the truth, even if it came with blinders?

Yet she could only do so much, and saving the girl from such a fate was something that came only as long as power remained in Siv’s hands. Power and manipulation kept her high above others, and her work with Salvia was now bound to pay off fruitfully as well…

Both ears turned and her head followed suit. The shift was obvious and apparent; Gale had found something to capture her attention. “You can weave?” She demanded, and then smiled so savagely that her eyes burnt like dark thunder clouds. “What a peculiar thing you are, my Lion,” Siv teased, and laughed lightly. “You may not need to fashion one. Another girl once wove here; I will see if her supplies remain.” Rowan had been stupid and pretty, but she was a master of the craft. Siv sorely missed her talent and was doubly thrilled to think that she might not only have one, but two hands capable of producing such goods. It would double her profit when paired with the leather, and now with those pretty goats Salvia had picked up...

Siv laughed again, almost to herself, and looked to the sky. Þakka fyrir,” she called to the gods, and decided then to take what was left of her summer mead to the stone ship.

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 309

The woman was interested in what he had to say. Gale noticed her body change slightly but he was unsure if she was displeased or happy to hear what he offered her. He only bobbed his head in confirmation when the woman laughed out a harsh laugh. He could feel the success emanate from her like an aura of power. He was not so spiritually inclined, but he knew that she was happy with her acquisition of a man who could weave and a girl child who could learn the trade too. Did not many weave here? Was it uncommon?

Gale tightened his lips together at her use of his nickname. He had not spilled that little bit of information had he? He could not recall. Perhaps he had, but he simply said nothing. The Romans had called him the Lion as well. Lionhearted, the Lion of the Arena, of Rome. What silly titles to give to someone just as likely to win the match as die from the loss of blood on the arena floor. Romans were strange like that, but at least there was no fighting for the pleasure of the masters here. Blood was shed in defense, and not to amuse masses of bored and spoiled men, women, and children. Too few slaves here, and not enough people.

"My sister had truly beautiful skills with weaving, Domina. But she taught me enough. If I spend enough time, I might match her." If weaving was as valuable as it sounded, perhaps it would secure Yvette's future as a weaver and not a master's sex toy. "Is there wool?" he asked her, knowing that thread could be spun from wool. That had been the very first thing Evangaline had taught him. She had smiled and laughed when he bumbled his way through the spindle's turns.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Oblivious to his discomfort, Siv was already thinking and planning ahead as to what she could do with woven goods. She flicked one black velvet ear towards him, though her face remained turned forward. Even if he was not naturally talented, he had at least observed someone who was, and the girl was young enough yet that she could, upon shifting, be trained from early on. Yes; this was something she would see through. As long as they both kept coffers in her purse and didn’t try anything foolish, she would ensure a healthy (if enslaved) life for both of them…right under her thumb.

“There are sheep and long-haired goats,” Siv explained, and turned Hildr slightly. They were close to her home, and the pale leather loomed ahead from between the trees. Her round, yurt-styled home was unique here and it pleased her greatly. The white cover had been a long-term project, hanging over the base of uncolored brown-tan. It was meant to not only show off her skill, but make apparent the witch’s home. It added to her mysterious flair.

“I will see if any is left from the spring—if Salvia allows it, I may take one so you might work on training the girl over winter.” Under the watchful eye of their master, of course. The forest path parted ahead and gave way to the small clearing where Siv made her home. Here she dismounted, and led her horse towards the small fenced-in area that served as a private paddock. “Leave the girl outside of the fence,” she ordered, though whether or not it was because she was worried about the feisty animal harming the child or not was left unsaid.

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 323

The nearby farmers helped provide some wool for the small family in the English countryside, though Gale often helped to work their small plots of farm land or with their animals. But he had managed to get enough now and then for a few skeins of white wool thread that they would dye to the best of their abilities. But here, perhaps it would be easier to get since he would be forced to give up all he wove for his masters. Maybe he could even get more colors, the colors his sister had always hoped to have freely for her own work. Maybe he could weave something, once he got his skill level up higher, he would make something for the little home he and Yvette would have. All for the memory of his beautifully delicate sister.

Gale bowed his head at the woman though he recoiled slightly. Yvette could not learn to weave until she had finally shifted and could use two hands. Claws and paws were not to mix with a loom and the careful weaving. "After she has shifted, of course, Domina," he said lightly, waiting for more orders. This woman would order him around as much as she liked, but she might be fair to the two of them. Maybe.

Careful hands set down the young girl, Gale put a hand to his lips and gestured for her to sit still beside the fence. He did not order her vocally, knowing that if he commanded her in one of his native tongues, it would give away that skill of his. He had few things to offer, but he wanted to keep as many of them a secret for as long as he could. "Domina," he said in obedience, following behind the tall woman. "If you arrive, am I to take the horse?" It was more of a question on what he needed to do now than in general.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

There was, beyond learning her place, little the girl could actually hope to do in her role. A sense of freedom would be hers until that time—though it was one carefully constructed, like Gale’s gilded cage. Siv went to great lengths to enforce herself in more than simply harsh words or blows. She used rewards and punishments as if training a beast. It worked well. Except for the crippled simpleton, the other slaves had come to accept her ways and bow to them. Even Esmeralda, who often assisted her, had picked up on the technique and thus reinforced it. She was quicker to strike, but Siv supposed this was all right as well. One of them had to be seen in a bad light.

Siv turned to Gale and motioned for him to watch. “You will take her and tend to her. It will be easier if you leave her head bound,” she explained, and looped the leather reins over the fencepost in a loose slipknot. “You will remove her saddle; it is to be brought inside. The blanket will dry over the fence; if it is dirty, you will wash it.” Both hands moved as she worked; the strap around the mare’s belly was loosened and undone so the saddle could slip free, and Siv hoisted this over the fence precariously in order to tend to the blanket. She turned it over so Gale could see the damp area under it.

“I keep her brushes in the bag within her stall,” the witch went on, and motioned to the lean-to that Miqui had helped her construct. “Fetch them.”

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]
wordcount ► 273

Gale listened meekly, head bowed so that he could focus on the ground while memorizing the orders that the woman gave him. The motioning of her hands sent his eyes back up to the tall woman, grimly looking at her. He nodded at her recommendation at keeping the horse's head bound. He did not know horses more than their flesh was not allowed for eating, and that he was not to ride any of them. Not that he minded, really, since he did not much care to ride something on four legs when he was just as fierce in his halfling form. But his master wanted him to take care of her horse, and it was something he would do or face punishment from the dark woman. And if he faced punishment, so could Yvette for his failure.

The woman unbuckled the saddle and the slave watched how the straps came undone. Then he was shown the moist splotch on the blanket and nodded. It did not seem too hard, though getting that close to the hooves of the powerful animal was a little daunting. At least she did it for him today, showing him what his duties were.

"Yes, Domina," he said solemnly, turning into the stall to pick up what the master demanded of him. He pulled the bag out and held it in his hands before flipping it open for the woman to take whatever brushes she wanted. This was an easy job; fetching and waiting. No wonder body slaves had not complained often, besides their beatings, whippings, and rapes. "How often is she to be brushed? Daily, Domina?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

While she doubted Hildr would find the urge to bite at him, Siv couldn’t help but imagine such a thing happening. He was large and unsure around the animal, and dominate as she was, the mare would sense it. She would give him trouble until he asserted himself around her, though Siv would never allow any of that to bleed further into his life. She owned his body, even if she could not own his soul or mind. Yet she would try—oh she would plant dark seeds and let weeds and vines grow until they choked the very essence of his being dry.

From the bag she produced a section of supple leather and a comb fashioned from a prickly bush. The end of it had been smoothed and peeled clean, giving her ample room to grasp the contraption. “Yes,” she said quickly, hardly recognizing that such a thing would not only increase the horses’ value but get him better acquainted with the animal. “And especially after I ride. You will begin with this,” the witch-woman explained, holding up the comb. “Their fur is short in summer but it will grow. Things may get stuck in it.”

She displayed the proper way to curry, using the comb, and brushed loose hair and dirt free in the process. It fell through the air visibly. “Do this only along her top half. Her belly and legs are more sensitive. Once you finish with this, use the hide and go over her entirely.” To demonstrate this, she rubbed the leather along the mare’s back in a semi-circular motion. It was obvious that Hildr enjoyed it, given how she remained still. Her head had dropped to pick at the grass lining the area. Siv suspected that by next year the holding pen would be dirt.

“Here,” she handed both items back to him. “You show me.” It was not a request.

<style>
#siv-thor {
}
#siv-thor p {
}
#siv-thor p.siv-img {
}
#siv-thor .txtooc {
</style>[/html]