[ro] i must, for i am
[html]
I am not submitting points for this read-only post. This is mostly for Unati's benefit as he starts to learn his place in the Tribe.

“No no no no, this cannot be happening, this cannot happen!”

The ruddy-furred, rangy man stood holding his head and whimpering as the storm whirled around him, the winds howling and the rain slamming down into the earth. Mud churned around him, and he was already covered with the stuff from the rest of the day’s activities, but he didn’t care, didn’t move. It went against all his natural instincts to be out in the weather but somehow he managed to ignore him, or maybe they just died, or something; at any rate, he was out here, and—to be blunt and crude—shit was going down.

“Gado hadvnev?” came a sharp shout beside him, and he jumped. He looked at the doe and was frightened by her expression; the normally mild guide was as intense and scary as the storm. “Hawinaditlv, ulvdalesgi achuja!”

“The fields,” Unatsi blubbered, shaking his head. “The fields, they’re all—” He didn’t even bother continuing, only turned and trembled then dashed for the giant mess that was supposed to be his domain. Already debris from the tobacco was flying, and his paws sank down into the mud with each step, threatening to trip him. He finally did trip, his skin scraping down in the mud and coming up plastered with it.

Udanvti sprang after him determinedly, her long legs stretching as she dashed across the rainy field. She swerved in an attempt to shove him down, but he continued to drag himself toward the tobacco. “Halewisda!” the guide cried, and he shook his head.

“I’m a Tsulvwisdanehi!” Unatsi shouted back. Rain streamed down into his eyes and along his whiskers, and his tail and mane were jerked with the force of a wind that did not seem to effect the spirit. “I tend the crops! I can’t fail, I can’t let them all die, and this is—look!” He stretched his white arm toward the mess that was the tobacco field. “I can’t, the Tribe, I—” He clenched his teeth then buried his face against his arm, trembling, the rain slamming down on his back.

“What do you want to accomplish?” Udanvti demanded sharply, and he tried to blink through the rain to see her staring down at him. “Will you shield the crops with your body? Will you move them somewhere safe and dry? AniWaya has prepared for this storm, Unatsikanogeni, and everything that we can do has already been done.”

The conclusion fell heavily into the stormy air, and the man started to weep out of helplessness and fear, feeling even more like a pathetic fool than he already knew he was. When the deer barked the order for him to rise and start moving back to the village, he complied, trembling and fighting against the winds. They kept to open ground, though, and he was only struck by wayward tobacco plants and clumps of dirt, and Udanvti stood as support when he needed to hold onto something.

And when they reached shelter, Udanvti said, “Those were some words, Unatsi. Ayv utlvquodi nihi.

The words echoed through Unatsi’s mind as he curled up on the floor, listening to the fierce rattle of the rain, and for an instant he thought he realized what it all meant.

<style type="text/css">
.unowdeer-ooc {font-size:10px; line-height:12px; padding:3px; font-style:italic;width:90%; max-width:700px; margin:0 auto; text-align:right;font-family:georgia;}
.unowdeer {margin:0 auto; background:#fff url(http://i.imgur.com/qiS6y.png) no-repeat top; width:98%; max-width:700px; border:1px solid #68472c; color:#000;}
.unowdeer .in {margin:300px 15px 5px 15px; padding:7px; font-family:arial; font-size:12px; background:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); text-align:justify;}
.unowdeer p {margin:0;p adding:0; text-indent:30px;}
.unowdeer b {color:#68472c; font-family:georgia;}
.unowdeer b.npc {font-weight:normal; font-style:italic;}</style>[/html]