with us to watch the minutes of this night
[html]

It was her customary walk, now, tracing her steps out of the library, through the cave system, and back to her den. She would make the trek to put her writing utensils and paper away after working with words, thoughts, and ink. She stowed them safely on one of her shelves, rickety as it was. She had managed to salvage a bit of the shelf, and had attached a piece of wood to the end of one of the shelves so it was the width of the wall, but it was not whole. In fact, it was in rather poor condition, but Tayui was not too good with working with tools. She had vowed to find someone who was, but had not yet actually done so. The other shelves below and above that particular one were only a foot long, if she was lucky. One was just a broken piece of wood where Tayui hung bits of human jewelry she had found.

She nodded to herself and set back out from her den making her way down, deeper into the network of caves. She passed the library, moving farther into the mountain. She shifted out of her Optime form and into her Secui form so she would be able to maneuver better down the slightly jagged path to the underground stream. She had ventured this deep only a few times before, and was slightly familiar with the area at best. She trotted over to the stream, sitting down rather abruptly once she reached it. She peered around the bend, examining the tunnel from which the stream originated. It was a gentle flowing brook, if anything, and did not have enough force to push even a puppy downriver.

She yawned, and laid down on her stomach, letting her paws hang over the small edge, paws touching the water. She remained like that - statuesque - for a few minutes before she began to hum. Quietly, ever quietly, as if embarrassed that someone might hear her. But she was all alone now, with the bubbling of the stream acting as her harmony and her soft tune the melody.

[/html]
[html]
http://twilight.silens.net/rp/val/t01.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
He had only recently discovered the caverns, though he had been told about them. Before it hadn't met much to him other than a source of water, but he soon discovered just how riddled the Ashen Mountain was. Riddled enough that in a sense, it baffled him how such formations had been made by water alone. Erosion was a funny thing, Valentine had settled on. The caverns were warm from naturally being underground, and the water was pleasant to trek through, as he found.

It had been quite some time since he had arrived abruptly on the doorstep of Jaded Shadows, yet he hadn't quite acquainted himself with everyone there was to meet. Some were reclusive, others were too busy to stop and chat a moment. The ones that he had met were interconnected with everyone else, so there was an ever solid sense of family around him, whether or not he was in it. Rounding a smooth corner of the stream, his keen hearing caught onto someone humming, albeit distantly. Guiding by the precious, relaxed melody, his expression softened when the abating darkness revealed the mystery songstress. Letting a smile come to his dull features, he came to a stop with an arm to skirt the wall as though it were a bit of a brace against the slippery track of the waterway.

“You have quite a pretty voice.”
[/html]
[html]

It was serene. The brook was far more tranquil than the springs to the west of the pack lands and Tayui could feel all the tension from her day slowly wearing away. It was nice to be able to simply sit and relax, especially after all that had been going on. She had met with Pilot and discussed low-speech, entertained a puppy in Storm for a few hours (and had been asked to sometime show him a few things when he got older), met with an old acquaintance and spoke for hours with a very familiar one. She had spent so much time working through the unfamiliar and creating new routines that she was surprised she was still functioning. Anyone could push themselves past their limit, but it took a great deal of effort to stop when you knew you should.

She closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the quiet stirring of the brook, keeping time with it as she hummed. She remained like that, content to revel in her solitude until the sound of approaching footsteps was heard echoing off the walls of the cavern. She opened her eyes slowly, watching as a dark-hued wolf came into view. It took some time, for he blended in with the shadows and it was only his eyes that gave him away as he approached. She twisted a smile into a wry grin as he spoke, shaking her head in reply. "Thank you," she said automatically, chuckling quietly. "I'm not much of a singer, though. I just hum to the sound of the water." It was peaceful, serene, and calming. It was the best she could manage in ways of creativity. She could not draw, paint, act, sing, or dance, so she had resorted to humming. It suited her just fine, for it was far less obtrusive than any other form of creative expression, and she could do so quietly and oftentimes without notice.

[/html]
[html]
http://twilight.silens.net/rp/val/t01.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
When she took notice to his approach and opened her eyes to spy him out from the shadows, Valentine took a clear notice of her eyes. Another pair of bi-coloured eyes… not so uncommon any more, perhaps. It seemed like every other wolf he had come across since he had stumbled back into Bleeding Souls had something like that. Something that would not have been normally found outside of the place, but he would have never thought Jaded Shadows to harbour so many medical maladies he had only heard of. He took a careful step forward, not wanting to slip in his trek of the smooth flowing stream and eventually sat on the sloping bank across from her, finding that peaceful air to be most comforting.

“Not much of a singer? I would not certainty think not; we are wolves, after all,” he said, thinking cryptically. “It doesn't matter the sound we make, whether it's howling or humming, it's still something that we have quite knack for. It's what we do.” But they weren't exactly the savage creatures that they were once written out to be, were they? Their structures had changed, and they were no longer limited by their four-legged statures any more… though they were some. There would always be a few unfortunate wolves that did not get their rise to a different pair of legs. “I'm Valentine,” he offered, realising that perhaps an introduction was due.
[/html]
[html]

Perhaps it was silly for Tayui to always assume she could never be much of anything creatively speaking, for Fatin had always outdone her in that area. It was strange to think that she might have some sort of talent (be it singing, painting, or working with wood), for she had always preferred to remain a scholar and learn what she could from other humans accounts. She shrugged as Valentine spoke, realizing that perhaps all wolves did in fact have some sort of musical ability. What was more beautiful than the sound of a howl ringing out through the pack lands? It would oftentimes bring news of warmth, happiness, and cheer, or was that of concern when the Alpha would check on the members of the pack. Perhaps humming was a smaller, quieter way of bringing that cheer into one's own life.

"I think you're correct, there. I suppose I never realized it." She smiled, watching as the male made himself comfortable across from her. The stream posed no threat to either of the wolves safety, and thus, Tayui did not concern herself with it. They were fortunate to have a water source in their den. The convenience was wonderful, and the fact that the pack had an alternate source of drinking water aside from the brook was a good thing indeed. "I'm Tayui. It's wonderful to meet another pack member like this," she replied with a certain nod. She greatly enjoyed getting to know all the members like how Mordulin had done. When she had simply been a member, she had been far more reclusive. Now, she found that she was able to talk to others more freely and converse more often. Of this, she was glad.

[/html]
[html]
It was quite a nice thing to meet someone that he hadn't yet met, and more importantly someone who had an appearance unique enough to differ them from the waves of Kali-relatives. Though he could have been wrong when it boiled down to relation, siblings, cousins, after a while they all looked about the same one way or another. Still, he concurred with her with a simple nod, elbows resting on knees. He hadn't met a wolf who hadn't been happy to meet another new face so far and that alone was making his stay much more enjoyable.

“Have you lived here a long time?” Little did he know just how long, or just who he was actually talking to. Thank the water for screwing up any sort of smell, not that there was any active requirement for formal submission going on that he knew of. That was another thing that had been withered by time, and generally the only formality anyone had was through speech alone. That aside, he couldn't help but jump at any chance to delve into more pack history no matter who it came from, continuing to try and integrate himself within the very walls of Jaded Shadows.
[/html]
[html]
Jaded Shadows had been compared to a large family, both in structure and in a very literal sense. The pack den added a sense of closeness even to those not related to others by blood. All the wolves in the pack were not Tayui's blood relatives, but she felt far closer to a number of them than she had her own family. Granted, she and her relatives had never gotten along, but it was still nice knowing she really did have a family.

She shifted her weight, twisting her body so she was facing the male. She tilted her head at his question, exhaling slowly as she ruminated. There were a number of ways to answer, although Tayui was unsure if hers might be as simple as 'yes' or 'no.' She supposed that she had been an inhabitant of Ashen mountain for time, but she had not been born into the pack, which somehow made her want to say no. But the answer was far simpler than all she believed it to be. "This is my fourth winter here. I joined in the midst of a snowstorm, but the winds have since calmed themselves." She smiled, allowing for Valentine to interpret it as he wished. She did not know how long that might be, whether she might be considered an old dweller of the lands or simply someone who had found her place. It was a curious thing, perception.
[/html]
Sorry about the wait, I've had too much going on lately.

[html]
Four years in the sense of a canine was quite a long time. Even longer when broken down to say “one thousand four hundred sixty days”; sixteen seasons; two hundred eight weeks. The mathematical idea of it all hadn't even really occurred to Valentine, but it was still quite a long time as far as he was concerned. He was almost sorry to admit to himself that he had forgotten a vast majority of his time spent in Syemv's house, or the few times that he had ventured away from the land itself. Memories were somewhat fickle like that though, there one minute and gone the next. Often all it took was a break in the train of thought. Yet his expression conveyed surprise from the moment that Tayui said the word ‘fourth’ and he readily commented on such. “That's quite a long time. You must know a lot about the history of this place,” which was almost silly to state, unless she was some sort of skunk-striped reclusive that had only lived in the caverns and before that, deep in the evergreen thickets that dotted the sides of the sunken mountain. “How long has Jaded Shadows been here, anyway?”
[/html]
[html]
I can relate :x

Tayui nodded quietly as Valentine reflected on her answer, wondering how much she did know about her own pack. The first year she had spent in the pack was one she could recall very little of, whether it was what she had done, or what she knew. She remembered the confusion that followed her acceptance into the pack, the sincere disbelief of having gotten away from her brother. She had hardly interacted with her pack mates at the time, and could only remember a few. She was unsure if those she knew were from her first year, or perhaps, her second. It was not until recently that she had begun collecting pieces of her pack's history like one might collect coloured rocks.

"I know what I remember, though in some instances, it is not much. I do know that Jaded Shadows has been here before my time. Mordulin brought Shadowed Stars to Ashen Mountain and renamed it Jaded Shadows when she was younger," she replied, biting back the added, when she was here. She was not bitter, but sometimes it was still difficult to ascertain that the Alpha, a stronghold of Bleeding Souls, was actually gone.
[/html]
[html]
Oddly enough, Mordulin's name jumped out at him. Although the rest of it didn't really ring any distant bells, it prompted his thoughts to reel back to things his parents had told him. Pity that he didn't listen as well then as he was trying to now, of course. “Mordulin… my mother's mentioned her before. Is she still around? She sounded very much like a kind soul.” Or so he thought they had said about her. There were many things that he could remember himself, but like Tayui had said, sometimes it wasn't very much at all. His mother was never really one to talk about the past, unlike his father. Yet there were always some things that everyone kept guarded, he was quickly learning.
[/html]
[html]
I can relate :x

"She was," Tayui replied, unsure of how to continue her thought. Saying it like that, in the past tense, made it sound like Mordulin was no longer kind, or worse, dead. Since Mordulin's departure from the Shadow lands, she had not heard a word from her. She would have preferred to believe that Mordulin was still alive, but the lady was nearing an old age and Tayui knew not of who was with her or where she had gone. Perhaps Mordulin had told her those months ago - perhaps she had forgotten since then. "She was very kind. She left some time before the start of winter, but she had been here for so long. It's strange now that she is no longer here."

Mordulin, the stronghold, was gone. She had realized it some time ago, but it was still strange to think about. It would be like Ashen Mountain suddenly getting up and leaving: one never expected it, and it went against the laws of nature. Yet, she had come to accept it. She and Fatin had taken Mordulin's place, two Alpha's instead of one.
[/html]
[html]
“Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping I could have met her.” Even though he didn't know that much about her, he could have only assumed that perhaps she had chosen to live the last of her days out in a place that was even more stunning and peaceful than the pack she had led for so long. He could even imagine that perhaps the position that Fatin held probably seemed a bit awkward to deal with… Valentine could not imagine readily being a leader in light of another's departure. Even if it was in good will and the right thing to do… change had its own downsides. “I'm sure her departure was hard on some, especially those who she called family. It seems like most of Jaded Shadows is family in some way or form, are you related to any of them?” Of course, the thought that he was talking to a leader never dawned on him either and that perhaps it wasn't entirely right of him to be so nosy. She had hardly asked anything of him so far.
[/html]
[html]

Tayui nodded sombrely, she too wishing that the male could have met the old Alpha. Mordulin had been known throughout the lands as being the timeless Alpha, the one who never left without notice, the one who was unwaveringly reliable. In some ways, her reputation had made her departure even more difficult. Tayui had grown up in the lands learning of the things that did not change: Mordulin's presence was one of them. When she left, the world had been turned upside down, and anything improbable seemed possible. If one law was being dismissed, why should the others remain?

Again, Tayui motioned her reply with a shake of her head. It was Fatin who seemed to be everyone's grandmother, mother, or great-grandmother. Tayui's puppies had been adopted, and her own mate had been a ghost longer than she had been her mate when she was alive. "We are all family. I'm related to none by blood, but I did have two puppies I adopted as my own when my mate was alive. Even now, however, Jaded Shadows does not seem to need even unofficial titles. We've grown to become a family more than a pack." In so many regards, this was true. Although it was arguable, Tayui could see how, as wolves especially, it was no longer a pack. Submission of subordinates had been all but abandoned, for it seemed as though a simple acknowledgement would suffice. Packs could be ruled by two females, unrelated, and in no way romantically involved. Members did not fight for ranks, but earned them. In many ways, it was similar to a human household, or even human businesses. It was curious how their ability to shift had changed their very ideology. They were still animals, yes, but they had evolved to a great degree, both physically and how they thought. Perhaps she would record this some time as a new book, one examining the changes in canine society and packs.

[/html]
[html]
They certainly were more of a family than a pack, Valentine could agree with that whole-heartedly. “I'd have to say that's what I like about this place the most,” though on a certain level it made him homesick to. Perhaps there was a certain level of envy that did run through his circuits when it came how fixated and related everyone else was. But they treated him like that too, so it did push such a feeling down for every moment that it did rise. Brushing the palms of his clawed hands on his legs, the ebony young man rose to his feet. “Well, I suppose I should get back to what I was doing and let you get back to your resting. It was very nice to meet you, Tayui,” he said with a warm smile, heading off only a moment afterward towards the rest of the cavern and hopefully, the rest of the pack.
[/html]
[html]

She smiled in reply to the male's comment, glad he was able to find something truly likable about the pack. If anything, it was one of her favourite things about the Shadows lands as well. No matter what, she would always love the pack, the one that had nurtured her so lovingly when she had first arrived, and had allowed her to grow as the months went by. Being one of the Alpha's was one of the greatest honours she could have ever received. Thinking about the pack like this always brought a smile to her face, and now, hers widened at the thought.

Tayui nodded as Valentine made to move, watching him for a few moments as he spoke. "Yes, hopefully we will be able to talk again in the future. It was a pleasure, Valentine." She nodded once more in finality as she watched the dark male leave. She shifted back, moving away from the water, watching for a few more moments before Valentine's form merged with the shadows. She closed her eyes once the other had left, resting her head on her paws. After a few minutes, she had fallen fast asleep.

[/html]