It's a snake
[html]
childhood repression: an expert at work

This is at ethereal eclipse. I chose rattlesnake! Easier to save a person from a snake than cougars and bears, who could easily take out a single wolf? Let me know if Haven has trouble with snakes Smile Word Count:--

He wasn't sure, but he backed away anyway. The little reptile lying in the grass ahead of him didn't really look dangerous; its size and its teeth weren't really big or sharp enough to hurt him. But something in him reacted to the image, and he could vaguely recall that it was a good thing to move away from them. Perhaps he had been lucky to notice it - he'd been moving away an old rotten log so he could play with it, and the space between the log and the ground beneath it had been the home of this snake. Now revealed to the sun, it didn't seem particularly happy. But then again, it didn't have ears or anything, so how could he know? It was shaking its tail, too, it made a funny and strangely threatening noise. The young male stood at a distance, not used to having to consider his own place in the food cycle, and certainly not used to trying to determine if something was a direct threat to his life. Sure, a bear would be, but bears were huge! In that sense, it was self-explanatory. Now, Emwe's body stood rigid, mesmerized by the sight and still not certain whether to run or not. Maybe it wasn't dangerous? It sure looked funny, with its strange eyes and earthy colored skin. No fur, just like a toad! It looked like it was blind or something! And toads weren't dangerous... Emwe bent forward, meaning to sniff the thing. Still he would have to move further ahead should he actually reach it, and his smelling was keen. He wondered what that strange, pelt-less coat felt like. Maybe.. just one step closer? It wouldn't be the first time his curiosity bested him.

[/html]
[html]
style="background-image: url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... ven_v1.png); width: 500px; height: 460px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px;">
style="padding: 2px; position: relative; right: 105px; top: 66px; width: 270px; height: 384px; z-index: 4; overflow: auto;">

Sounds good to me! He's fine with snakes, thankfully he's not Indiana Jones XD PP for him grabbing Emwe out of harm's way, let me know if you want it changed. 300+

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Today had seemed like a good day for a leisurely walk out in the thick woods of the Ethereal Eclipse. Usually he would have taken Drogon out on such an excursion, but with how much it had been raining lately the ground was extremely soggy and muddy. Cleaning himself off was one thing, cleaning off the stallion quite another. Also since he wanted to go into the woods with how soft the earth was the horse could easily misstep and catch his hoof on a root and twist an ankle or worse. Haven didn't want to risk his friend's safety and so had left him in the comfort of the stable with a nice small sack of oats. Despite being without his companion he still had his longsword strapped across his back. After his violent run in with Ezekiel he didn't like going anywhere without it. It was much better to be prepared than to be caught in a tight situation without what you needed.

The Knight breathed in the crisp autumn air and it brought him a scent. He recognized the pack smell of Dahlia, but it wasn't any Dahlian he had met before. Curious he started to make his way toward the pack wolf, wondering if he could get news of Alexey or Cwmfen. He had been meaning to visit the warrior and show her his progress but he hadn't been in the shape to do it until recently. As he came closer he saw the stooped over form of a young wolf, but with that sight came a very dangerous sound. Haven paused, trying to match up the sound with what it belonged to and then he saw the coiled up serpent that the youth was getting close to. "Hey! No!" As the words came from his lips he was already running towards the kid.

The snake's head reared back and snapped forward just as Haven snatched the other out of harm's way. Without a doubt if he hadn't those two long fangs would have met their mark. Holding onto the younger wolf's arm he put a good amount of distance between them and the snake. He didn't think it would try to come after them. He then turned to the young Dahlian. "You need to be careful, those things are dangerous, poisonous." His heart beat uneasily in his chest, too aware of how close that had come to being a disaster.

[/html]
[html]

Haven to the rescue! Word Count: 354

A blur of a someone rushed at him and then he was elsewhere and gaining distance on the strange animal with the rattling tail. The male who had lifted and pushed him away (lifted! He didn't know whether to feel indignant or not!) had shouted various exclamations of the negative kind right before he rushed at the young male, and in the small moments before the strangely-pelted male explained his behavior Emwe wondered whether he had been doing something wrong. Maybe he was going to get punished? He sure hoped no one would tell Alexey. Or worse - his dad. No, no, no, no, that wouldn't be good and Conor would probably laugh at him, too. Only when the male with the white ear spoke did Emwe understand that he had just been stupid. Again. His ears dropped against his skull as he realized the great debt he had to this stranger. He'd saved his life, and Emwe didn't know whether to be embarrassed that he had needed saving, or happy that he had been saved. His face was openly speaking of this dilemma, and his tail alternated between half a wag and a submissive position, uncertain. He wanted to excuse himself by saying that no one had told him to stay away from those things, but that wasn't true because that male had just said so. He felt silly, because he was. Here was Emwe, soon a year old, and still he was getting in trouble so that grown-ups had to save him. It sucked. But this guy was pretty cool, too, and he didn't want to look like even more of an ass. His eyes widened att he thought of poison, and he concluded that he was more happy than embarrassed. Finally, his tail settled on an expression, and his face looked less troubled. "I'll remember that." Emwe smiled uncertainly at the other male. If there was one thing he wasn't good at (and there were a lot of things he wasn't good at) it was being social. He paused a moment and studied the other, before continuing with their conversation. "Thanks."

[/html]
[html]
style="background-image: url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... ven_v1.png); width: 500px; height: 460px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px;">
style="padding: 2px; position: relative; right: 105px; top: 66px; width: 270px; height: 384px; z-index: 4; overflow: auto;">

Big Grin!

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Adrenaline still flowed through him for the first few moments after their retreat and he needed a moment to collect himself. He had never see anyone so close to getting hurt before. Thank god he hadn't frozen up and stalled or the boy would have snake venom flowing in him and hurting him. He didn't know if he would be so quick to act in a physical confrontation, but Haven hoped he would be. His encounter with Ezekiel had been one thing, it had gone from a civil conversation to the other coming after him in a split-second. Things would feel much different if he were trying to protect someone. He assumed so, anyway. Jade eyes looked the kid over making sure that he was, in fact, all right and he seemed to be aside from his obvious hesitance on how to react to the situation. A warm smirk came to the hybrid's face, understanding well the fear behind this posture. He had been quite the rambunctious pup himself.

"Heh, good. It's definitely not something you'll want to forget about." The Aatte had faith that the male wouldn't forget though. People hardly forgot dangerous situations involving themselves. "Most snakes won't come after you, so if you make one mad just back away and everything should be fine." They attacked out of defense, not anger. "You're welcome," Haven said, his smile growing. "I'm Haven Aatte, nice to meet you." There was something that seemed vaguely familiar about this boy, though he couldn't for the life of him figure out what it was. Maybe hearing the name would help him figure it out.

[/html]
[html]

I fail, but my laptop and internet works and stuff now so I should be more steady with my activity. I'm sorry :/ Word Count: ---

Emwe nodded, with a serious face, as the stranger with the white ear gave him a sentence or two of the lecturing kind. The young male didn't mind, he was so used to it. Even though he was soon a year old, there were still those in the pack that treated him as if he didn't know anything at all. Just because he often didn't know the answers to questions that didn't matter, like where rabbits like to sleep or whatever. As if he would ever need that knowledge! There was no need for him to hunt for food unless he wanted to prove that he could, because there was so much food that everyone shared. That was how his life had always been, and he struggled to change his perspective on life. Still though, he didn't pout, but merely sat still as the adult spoke. It was important not to pout, else adults got angry and he hated when that happened. But when he smiled and then said his name, Emwe stopped worrying and smiled back; his mood ever so easy to affect. "Hello Haven, I am Emwe." It was important to speak properly when you introduced yourself. He sat down and waited for a moment, wondering whether he should say something more. Finally concluding that he should, he picked the newest question in his mind: "He was under the log. Why would he be there anyway? It's cold and wet." And small. He didn't like small spaces, nor did he like to be cold and wet, but most of all he didn't like small spaces. He would never be under a log, that was for sure.

[/html]
[html]

No worries! Stuff happens Smile 300+

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Haven hadn't meant for his words to come off as sounding like some sort of lecture. Hell, he really wasn't old enough to be lecturing anybody, he had just recently passed the age of being lectured to himself. He still wasn't completely out of it either. Yes, he was a year old now but there were plenty of people who had more knowledge and experience than he did. He was just trying to impart some of that important knowledge that he possessed onto the younger boy so he wouldn't end up getting hurt and if he found himself in such a situation again he would know how to handle it. When he smiled though the youth's mood brightened immediately and Haven was thankful for that. He didn't want the other to think he was some imposing figure that would only correct him on all the things he did wrong. Sometimes you had to do things wrong before you could find out what was right anyway.

Emwe. That name tickled something in his memory for sure. The kid smelled like Dahlia and he thought back to the conversation he had had with Alexey on the night of his first shift. Man, that had been a long time ago now that he thought of it. That name was familiar though, he knew he had heard it before. What had Alexey been worried about again? Lost...something. Oh! It had been lost puppies! Two of Dahlia de Mai's pups had gone missing and she was looking for them, one of the names had been Emwe. "Emwe huh? I'm assuming Alexey and the rest of Dahlia must have found you then," he said with a wink. It was good to know that the missing pups had been found and apparently were growing up. As Emwe sat down Haven joined him on the ground, glad for a bit of rest. "I think that's where they like to live, is under logs and things. I don't know why really, just that they do." It certainly didn't seem like a comfortable place to him either, but apparently it worked well for the snakes.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin
Word Count: 300

Haven was making a joke, or trying to be smart or funny, but Emwe didn't get it. He blinked a couple of times. I'm assuming Alexey and the rest of Dahlia must have found you then. First off - he knew Alexey! How cool was that? Although, he wasn't really surprised, because Alexey was great and probably had lots of more friends than Conor and Emwe, just that Emwe had not seen them because he was so busy all the time with doing exciting things. But.. found them? Dahlia had found them? Had they been looking? Emwe didn't know, because he had only vague memories, but none of them were of anyone in distress. Or, well, his departure from uncle Ly's cabin had been rather dramatic, he supposed. Alexey had been angry and they had screamed at each other and stuff, and Conor had come back a long time afterwards and had been really skinny. That was why he was small, Emwe thought. "I didn't know they looked for me.", he said bluntly. Suddenly he felt bad - secrets kept unveiling themselves, and now he wondered how many things he did not know about himself. It made him feel pretty weird, and a little sad at the same time.

Haven said things that were silly. No one wanted to live under a log! Emwe's tail wagged as he chuckled to the older male, finding the statement a great source of entertainment. "They're crazy!" His tail wagged as he laughed a little. "Even though they are small, there isn't much room under a log." Stretching his neck he looked past his new friend and back in the direction of where he had almost been bitten by a snake. "I hate small spaces.", he confessed, silvery blue gaze steady as a rock.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin 300+

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Haven hadn't anticipated that Emwe wouldn't have known what he was talking about. To him it seemed that disappearing or getting kidnapped or whatever had happened to him and his brother would be a thing to stick out in someone's mind. Though he was very much ignorant of the actual circumstances surrounding what had happened. He had no clue that the two pups had actually stayed somewhere and hadn't known that they were lost and being searched for frantically. He also had no clue that this was, in fact, Firefly's son. He didn't know that the woman had children at all. So when Emwe spoke he only gave the young boy a surprised look. "Oh, no? Well, yeah, they were. I met Alexey when she was looking for you." At the time he had felt bad for not being able to help her in her search, but he was glad that it had apparently all turned out alright. Though he did still find it a bit strange that he didn't really remember what had happened. Maybe he had been too young. Now that he thought about it Haven couldn't remember things from when he had been really little.

Apparently that fact about snakes was very amusing to the Soul boy and Haven couldn't help but chuckle a little himself. "Yeah, maybe they are." Wolves took up more space for a living area than was absolutely necessary, so it did seem a little odd that a snake would pick a place to live that was so very constricted. "Maybe it has something to do with not having any legs," he wondered out-loud. "Yeah, small spaces aren't great. It's much better to be out in the open." That was one thing the two could most definitely agree on. He had lived in a cave as a pup, but it had been a big cave and he wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere smaller than that.

[/html]
[html]

Crappy short post, sorry! Word Count:

Emwe smiled at his new friend as he spoke, his tongue lolling back out of his mouth as he finished his sentences. Curiosity shone in his eyes. "How strange that they looked for me. My mother let us stay with uncle Ly for a while. Alexey came along and snatched us from there, to live back with the pack. I kind of liked my uncle's place, though." He paused, looking at Haven. His eyebrows were not even, as if half-way through a thought, and he was quite impressed with his own eloquence. Rarely did he create such well-shaped sentences. "I guess she found us, then." he winked, satisified with his own joke. Man, was he on a roll today!

His eyes widened. It was true! He hadn't thought about that! Snakes didn't have legs... Emwe glanced at Haven and back again towards where the snake had been. "... they don't have legs!" he said, realizing just then. His tail wagged, slowed, wagged again. Seriously, snakes were so weird. "But how does it move?" He'd seen caterpillars move, but when he looked at them closely they did have legs. That snake hadn't had legs, unless it used its own body as one big leg, but wouldn't it have to jump around then? And it didn't have knees, so how could it jump? It was very confusing.

Haven agreed with him, and Emwe nodded silently. It was much better to be in the open.

[/html]
[html]

Psh, it's not crappy. And I don't mind short posts :3

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

What Emwe was speaking of seemed very odd to him. He had been with an uncle? Then why hadn't the pack known that? It was all seeming a little suspicious to him. "So your mother knew where you were? When I saw Alexey she was really worried about you and it sounded like the rest of the pack was too." The missing of Emwe and his brother had been a very real concern for the honey-colored lady and yet it seemed to Emwe that nothing had ever been wrong. There was clearly a lot more to this story that Haven would have ever imagined and he couldn't help but be curious as to the details. "Heh, yeah, guess so." The slightly younger male was nice and pleasant and it seemed his ordeal, whatever it had been, hadn't done anything to damage him. He only seemed a little accident prone, but most youths were to some degree or another.

Haven couldn't help but to laugh heartily and loudly at Emwe's sudden realization that snakes didn't in fact have legs. There were many occasions where Haven missed being so young and carefree. Being an adult had come at a high price for him and while he didn't regret it he did miss the simpler times. "You know, I'm not sure. I've never really gotten close enough to one to watch how it moves. I mean, they kind of slither around but I'm not sure how it all works." Now that they were on the subject, it was a bit of a conundrum. How did something move without legs or wings?

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait, been away for Christmas and such :] Word Count: 561 - SoSuWriMo

His face twisted with the effort of thought. Imagining his own mother (that perfect female!) deceiving his father and the whole pack was.. just not possible. No, his mother was an angel, a sweet-smelling lovely angel, and his father was the most powerful and proud male alive, strong as a bull and as just as he was large. This was the family in his mind, the reality he had created for himself. And in this setting, it was unthinkable and impossible that his father had perhaps cheated, and that his mother had sunk low enough to use his life as ransom for her mate's love and attention. He had never thought to ask his mother why she went away, not his father why he did not want to speak with his child when Emwe had stayed with Haku. He hadn't needed to, he had known the answers in his heart: his mother went away because she had something important to do elsewhere, and she would come back pretty soon, because she loved him and Conor very much. Haku stayed in his room and was sometimes angry because he was a leader, and he had much to do and many things to think about. Emwe had gone to stay with Alexey because Conor was there and because he didn't want to be in the way of his important father's important work. Emwe was a good son, and when he was an adult he was certain that Haku would see it too. These were the wishes in his mind that his world was built upon.

Straining himself, he finally replied to Haven's indirect question. "Well... Cercelee was really angry anyway, at my mother for something, but I don't remember it very well." Pausing, he looked to the ground and a glimmer of real memories burst to the surface, through all the fake ones that were so comforting. "It was kind of scary, really. Everyone were shouting and stuff." Looking up now, he looked to the side to avoid the eyes of his savior. He did not want to look even weaker now, after having nearly died. This part of him did not thrive in the open at all, and he quickly stuffed it back in. Changing the subject was good.

Haven laughed at him, and at first Emwe was embarassed. Though, he found it a better tactic to simply go along, and quite quickly he saw it all as a joke, his tail wagging happily behind him and his voice mirroring the one of his new friend. The next things he said were quite smart, too, and Emwe forgot all about the more difficult parts of their conversation just moments before. His silvery eyes looked at the older male in fascination when he spoke. slither around? Man, that was true. It looked like they were made of water or something. It was like magic! Looking into his head and finding no solution to the problem, he simply nodded bluntly and concluded that he had no conclusion. "They are so weird. I can't believe they're dangerous, I mean they're so small! And how comes the venom doesn't kill them when it's in their mouth? Alexey sometimes told me what not to eat because I could die. Won't the snake die then, if it has poison in its mouth?" So many questions, so little time.

[/html]
[html]

It's okay, busy season Smile SoSuWriMo 572

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

If Haven had known who Emwe’s parents were he would have been shocked to the point of being unable to hide his surprise behind a mask of stoicism. Firefly was his adopted aunt (though he never actually referred to her as an aunt, she preferred that he not) and he knew that Haku was an awful man that was capable of horrible deeds. To know that they had once been in love and had had children together would have made his jaw drop. Firefly was rough around the edges, but he genuinely liked and cared for the saucy older female. She had given him his dyed tattoo and it was something he cherished for it was the symbol of his coming of age and finding his duty and reason in life. To think that she could have cared for such a monster would make him see her in a different light that he would not like. Though through her apparent disdain for the man such thoughts had never crossed his mind. As for Haku, the question of whether or not he could possibly be a good father was easily answerable: absolutely not. It was probably good that Haven was ignorant, for he would have possibly inadvertently shattered the dream world that Emwe had built for himself. Such a shattering was a traumatic thing; Haven had experienced it first hand.

At the younger male’s response the Knight noticed that glimmer that some of the memories of what had happened may have been repressed. So many people had been mad, and there had been a lot of yelling. It was clear that such recollections bothered Emwe and Haven couldn’t help but feel the guilt that he had brought them up, even if he hadn’t meant to. The fact that the anger seemed to be directed at the boy’s mother was a telling clue. Perhaps there had been some sort of scam involved. Maybe the two boys had never really been kidnapped or anything of the sort. It was a bit of a disturbing idea and it clearly wasn’t something Emwe was comfortable with so Haven was more than willing to leave that topic be and move on to other things.

He had not at all been laughing at Emwe. It had been more an adoration for his child-like wonder and awe. It was an attribute that he himself had lost somewhere along the way (or at the very least it had been buried somewhere deep inside) and it felt good to see it again. The younger wolf was laughing along though and so he didn’t think for a minute that there had been any notions of being belittled. If there had been Haven would have been quick to extinguish them. He had to agree with Emwe, it was strange that something so small could be so dangerous. Of course bears were dangerous, they were bigger than wolves. The same with mountain lions, and even elk and deer could be a hazard if they kicked or struck you with their sharp hooves. Snakes were so much smaller though. “It is weird, I agree with you, but it’s true. I think that they must be immune to their own poison. Since they’re born with it maybe it just doesn’t affect them at all like it does other creatures, like us.” That seemed like a logical explanation, though it was really only him guessing at the reason.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 483 - SoSuWriMo

Haven left the subject of his past family affairs altogether, and deep inside his mind a little voice cheered happily at this. He was not in a position where he was able to realize the truths about his family. He was not ready, even though he was soon an adult. Conor had realized it a long time ago, that much would be apparent to anyone who studied the two boys, but Emwe had been too skilled at hiding the truth from himself. The truth did not fit into his jigsaw, did not bring him what he needed, and so his mind provided him with the love that he so desperately craved. Alexey was more of a mother to him than his own mother was, in reality, but in his mind Firefly was still the most loving mother that had ever existed, an idealized version of the real Firefly, who used her sons to taunt her former lover. Similarly, Lysander was more of a father to him than Haku had ever been, even if the husky had only spent time with Emwe for a short amount of time. Yet still his ideal father kept the face of Haku Soul, and not some husky who had merely cared for him. No, it was good that Haven stopped talking, because Emwe might very well have been in need of a wholly different kind of savior had the conversation continued.

His tail wagged as Haven agreed with him. He felt really smart now! That didn't happen that often. For instance, when he got stuck in a tree, once, he felt really stupid. Tokyo laughing at him hadn't helped, but still. And today he had felt stupid too, a little, when Haven had saved him, but Haven was really cool so it was ok. Now he had realized something that maybe not everyone else knew, and that meant that he was pretty clever! When even Haven didn't know the exact answer, it meant it was a pretty hard nut to crack, because Haven was awesome — obviously. Emwe's tail wagged happily behind him as he continued to muse on the subject of how weird snakes were. "Maybe they are immune to every poison in the world - like they are super-creatures or something!" Who knew what kind of advanced world these snakes lived in. Maybe they couldn't die at all! He liked the idea of a hidden world where snakes could do the most extraordinary things. After all, who was to say they couldn't? They already walked without legs, and didn't die from poison. To Emwe, that was just so amazing that they might as well be immune to death altogether. Silevery eyes were large and moved here and there as he considered his thoughts. They were fascinating. "I think they are maybe a lot stronger than us, like, they can't die." It made perfect sense in his mind.

[/html]
[html]

I love Emwe :3 SoSuWriMo 369

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Haven had been of a somewhat similar mindset as Emwe when the cracks in his own family had begun to show. It had started with people reacting oddly to the fact that he had two mothers. To him it had been the most normal thing in the world and he couldn’t understand why anyone would think it odd. It was only when he actually came face to face with his father that the picture began to get clearer. Even then though he had mostly tried to sweep the man that had helped bring him into being under the rug. Conri had done nothing to raise him and he wasn’t around. Obviously he hadn’t really needed a father if the man could be absent and it made no difference in his life. It had only been with the disintegration of his mothers’ mateship and the exposure of the horrible truth about his father that the perfect world he had wanted to believe in was no longer able to stand.

There were a lot of animals out there that he didn’t know all that much about. Really he didn’t know much outside of the realm of animals that had four hooves. Everything he knew about the rest of the creatures in the animal kingdom were purely knowledge by observation alone. It was too bad that he couldn’t give Emwe some more solid information about the serpents, but it didn’t seem to bother the younger male any. In fact he seemed quite excited with their conversation despite the lack of concrete knowledge. Haven chuckled a little under his breath. “Maybe they are. It wouldn’t really surprise me if they were immune to all poisons.” He didn’t have any knowledge to contradict such a guess and so he didn’t see any reason to squash Emwe’s thoughts. “Oh, they can die. I bet if I cut them to pieces with my sword they couldn’t survive. Still, it is harder for creatures on the ground to get close enough to kill one. Birds on the other hand, though, have a much easier time. I’ve seen an eagle catch a snake and eat it.” No creature was invincible, no matter how strong or intimidating it seemed.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 455 - SoSuWriMo

His world had been up-side down before he had been born. Anyone in Dahlia de Mai who knew either parent well would have been able to see it, but it wasn't until it was too late for this little boy they had realized. Emwe owed his safety to the efforts of Cercelee and Alexey, not his parents, yet his mind could not help but put his parents above all. In his world, he had never been in danger. In his world he had always been loved, never been struck by his chocolate father. Conor had never been a sad, quiet child, and Emwe had never been too afraid to seek his father's advice or guidance. Firefly had been the mother of his dreams, and his family had been perfect even if she had stayed elsewhere than the family building. This, he forced himself to believe, and did so so firmly that if that picture was to shatter he would have nothing left of the person that was Emwe Soul.

Snakes - the ultimate enemy. What wondrous awards awaited him if he defeated one? Multiple scenarios played out in front of his eyes, but dissolved into nothing when Haven insisted that they were not unkillable. Emwe's face looked at the older male with a face like one big question mark. What, birds could kill them? But birds were so small and.. weak. And tasty. Emwe ate birds if he found them, if they were injured and could not fly. And Haven claimed birds could kill snakes, snakes who were immune to poison?

"Wow, really? But they look so thin and weak..."

Emwe had always imagined that there would be some creature that was invincible, and the idea that everyone, every creature, had a weakness that might make them prey or victim for another being had never occurred to him. This was a natural balance, otherwise the world would be overrun with one kind of creature, but Emwe did not think big. He wasn't so good at picturing a counter-"what-if"-scenario. He was very good at picturing his own ideas though, because they were usually awesome. Awesome stuff was easy to imagine. He looked a bit disappointed now, but sighed and accepted the fact served to him by Haven. "I guess you're right, but it's pretty strange they don't die from the poison inside the snakes, then..." Even if he was dumb in some ways, Emwe did have some brains. And so maybe snakes were not the creatures who would be his ultimate enemy, his way to glory. Maybe something else was, then. He would find out one day. And he would save the world, to the applause of his family and friends - and admirers.

[/html]
[html]

SoSuWriMo 440

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

The Soul boy reminded Haven of himself, or at least who he had been before his own little world had been shattered and everything he had known and believed had been thrown into question. Staying in such a juvenile mindset could be detrimental at older ages, but he saw no harm in Emwe being the way he was now, or even for a few more months. What was wrong with having an extended childhood? He wished that his had lasted longer than the seven months it had for him. His had even begun to deteriorate before then, it was just the major breaking had come at the seven month mark. All in all the Cour des Miracles member found it admirable that the younger male was still so carefree and open to all the possibilities of the world, even if they were fantastical. It was for this reason that he tread somewhat carefully with his responses. The last thing he wanted to do was to tell Emwe that he was wrong and instruct him in the right of things. That would just be plain mean. He only wanted to give the other some information while keeping the pathways of his imagination open.

“Well, not all birds, just the larger ones that actually eat meat. You know, like hawks and falcons and eagles. Those kinds of birds. Snakes can eat the smaller birds that only eat seeds and stuff but the bigger birds with the huge talons can eat the snakes.” Now that he said it aloud it was a bit of a strange pattern. But predatory birds didn’t just eat snakes, they’d even eat other birds. Now that was a slightly disturbing fact. It’d be like him or Emwe going off to eat a coyote or something and that was just messed up, no two ways about it. The world could be such an odd place with odd realities. As for the problem of the birds not getting poisoned by eating the snakes, Haven did have an answer for that. “I think you can only get poisoned if a snake bites you. The poison is only in its mouth, like its fangs or saliva.” Did snakes even have saliva? Well, that he wasn’t sure of, but he was certain that you couldn’t get poisoned by eating a snake, as long as you didn’t eat the head. It was funny for him to be on the receiving end of the types of questions he had thrown at adults when he was younger. Maybe it was for that reason though that the hybrid was so patient and willing to continue the conversation.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 457 - SoSuWriMo

Emwe sat there with his usual face as he listened to Haven's new words, filling in his own lacking information on birds. Well, sure.. he had a point. Emwe had totally forgotten about the scary birds, he'd just thought about the chickens and the doves and all the ones that could be eaten quite easily. He'd never seen an eagle, for example, up close (because they flew around, duh), except one dead one once. But it had been dead for a long time, so there was little left of it, though he could remember the beak, because it had been pretty sharp-looking. He nodded as he envisioned the cycle of small bird versus snake versus big bird. It ruined his whole idea on the snake, but it was okay. He'd rather be well-informed than wrong. Quite ironic, given his current efforts to ignore his real situation.

Even though the snake would never be his path to glory and acceptance, he would probably never cease to think that it was a quite interesting animal. Haven suggested that the venom was kept only in his mouth, but Emwe thought that that was a strange idea. Then the bird would have to avoid eating the mouth altogether? But to Emwe, the head looked like a big part of it, broader and stuff, and maybe it had more food? Then again he never ate the skull of anything because there was no yummy parts of it — the best part of any prey was in the middle, at least that's what he'd found out so far. He'd never been lucky enough to get a piece of liver or heart yet, because whenever he ate animals that were actually hunted, and that hadn't been dead already or something similar, he was not the one to get the yummy parts. Such was life for someone in the middle of the ranks, but this Haven guy probably got all the good stuff. One day Emwe would be just as pwoerful as his father, and he'd get all the tasty bits. He looked forward to that. "I s'pose the birds are pretty smart, then, who know not to eat the dangerous parts." In fact, he was growing more in awe of birds, too, now. But then again he knew that he had eaten birds, and if it was that easy, it was hardly a challenge. Nope, he'd have to find his ultimate enemy in another species. Maybe cougars? But damn, they were scary. His head thought a million thoughts at once but he managed to somehow remain on the sae track conversation-wise. He was good at letting his thoughts trail off, for his conversations rarely held much depth anyway. It was easy to be Emwe Soul.

[/html]
[html]

Maybe start to wrap up? SoSuWriMo 386

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Haven understood the idea of wanting to find something worth fighting and defeating. That was why he had always imagined being a strong brave knight that could go off and slay fearsome dragons. Or that one time when he had been the dragon and his sister Brooklyn had been a ogre. He missed playing those games, they had been so much fun. Maybe he could play them again whenever he had kids, though that would be a long ways off. There were many, many things to do in his life before he started having pups. He needed to be older, for one, he was just barely out of adolescence himself. Then he needed to find a mate. He and Princess were growing closer, but he had no idea if they would end up being mates or not. There were a lot of things they had to work through to get to that point, the biggest would be trying to figure out where they would live. Princess had her brother in Crimson Dreams and Haven couldn't imagine leaving Cour des Miracles. It would be a difficult problem to solve.

You never really ate the head of any animal, so it wouldn't be difficult for the birds to avoid ingesting the dangerous parts of a snake. He supposed whatever secreted the poison could lay farther back in the body, in the neck or something (though with a snake it was hard to tell where the neck ended and the rest of it began). Either way, the birds did have to be smart to take on and feast on such prey. "Yeah, the ones who aren't that smart probably die." Natural selection, though of course Haven didn't know about Darwin or his theories that was still the basic idea that he was talking about. Since Emwe seemed so interested in dangerous creatures, Haven's smirk rose. Had anyone told the boy about dragons? "Do you know about dragons Emwe?" As he spoke Haven extended his right arm, showing off the dragon that was bleached onto his wrist. "They're like a lizard combined with a bat, but they're enormous and can fly and breathe fire. Everyone says they're only a myth, but the world's a big place, ya know?" Even now he liked to believe that there could be dragons somewhere.

[/html]
[html]

Sure, I could, but now you mentioned dwagons xD But if Haven continues to talk about it he might scare Emwe off :p make him run home to his Alexey or something.
Word Count: 591 - SoSuWriMo

Emwe's smile broadened as he thought again that this Haven guy was pretty smart. He nodded eagerly, in a slightly stupid way. The stupid ones died. So only the smart ones were left, and those were the ones that were still around and that he had seen! That was really something he should have thought of himself. With this logic, however, the useless or dumb individuals were the first to go from the system. Without knowing it, their conversation had turned onto one theory that had been heavily debated among humans from the time it was published, one that quickly marked Emwe was one individual that would die young. Perhaps should have been dead already. These thoughts were completely missing from Emwe's mind, for in his world he was very much the champion of everything, though in reality he had still to hunt properly for himself. He lived off the reservoirs of the pack, and he had already put himself in many, many perilous positions. Most of those times when he had been close to death, it had been his own lack of wit and controly that had put him there. It was a sad fact, but should the pack system that now cared so well for Emwe Soul break down, he would be quick to fall for natural selection — unless he had potential that had yet to rise. Necessity always brought one to the edge, and many skills could be acquired while being there.

Suddenly, the male looked mysterious, and as he spoke Emwe felt as if he was letting him in on a mighty secret. A secret just for him. His silvery eyes studied the pattern on the male's arm as he listened to the description, painting its looks and details on a canvas just for exciting things in his mind. Oh, oh it looked horrible. Like a big monster, and when Haven said fire, the creature entered a wholly new level. His eyes widened. "Wooow..." His insides moved a little, and Emwe decided that maybe he didn't want to find the ultimate animal after all, since some of them could be like that. He had never thought they could be like that, but he couldn't be the champion of such an animal. There was no way to protect yourself from the massive creature that he envisioned — maybe not even his dad could protect Dahlia from it, and his dad was their hero and would protect them from anything. The young male swallowed, not completely sure whether to stay scared or amazed. His imagination was about as powerful as his ability to delude himself, and so the image presented to him was quite powerful. "Do you really think they live somewhere? Do they live far from here?" If Emwe had had fingers, or even knew of the concept, he would have mentally crossed them. He hoped dragons did not exist, and if they did that they were so far away that he would never have to worry about them. Ever. His face was pure wonder, one that wanted to know more, but at the same time was not certain if it could handle it. Emwe was a cute little male. Had it not been for the fact that he was too old to continue living and acting as he was doing, some might have found it very charming indeed. Still, one usually forgot how misplaced his behavior (or appearance!) was after spending a little while with him. Concluding that he was simply a little dumb was often a solution.

[/html]
[html]

lol, poor Emwe XD I just meant we could start heading in a closing up direction Smile 300+

PUMPKIN KNIGHT

Dragons had never been something he had feared. They had always been a source of wonder and awe and he had always fancied himself brave and courageous enough to take one on if the occasion every came. Still, while he had played at being the dragonslayer with his mother, he had also played at being the dragon himself. The mythical creatures were not only powerful but very smart and crafty and Haven would rather make friends with one than to have to slay it. Some of the books he had read, novels, had ever had people who rode the winged reptiles and worked with them to do good for the whole of the world. Now that was something that caught his fancy more than anything else. How magnificent it would be to form a bond with one of them and to be able to soar through their air with them. If ever he found a dragon he hoped that he would be so lucky as to achieve that.

Emwe also seemed to be taken with the idea of dragons, but he also sensed a bit of hesitance and perhaps even fear about them emanating from the boy. It was surprising considering how he had elevated the snakes to such a powerful position and yet had not been afraid of them. But even a powerful snake could not match the power of a dragon, and so he guessed that it was understandable that they could be feared. It was just never an emotion he had felt towards the magical beasts. To help belay the Soul's fear he only shook his head smiling. "I don't know. I like to think so, but it could just be wishful thinking on my part. If there are dragons I bet they're far from here, and even if they aren't, they're hiding themselves very well. I think for the most part dragons like to keep to themselves. They wouldn't bother us unless we bothered them." Haven was confident that these words would help to dismiss any nervousness Emwe might have. Dragons, magical as they may be, were still animals and so would understandably act like other animals and most animals did not mess with others unless provoked. If they hadn't suffered a dragon attack in these lands by now he doubted that they ever would.

[/html]