year zero
[html]
Bleach gave only a glance to the falcon before turning her attention back to the stranger. Edging toward him when she was sure he would allow it, the woman grimaced at his answer and tried not to panic. She couldn't see any blood. A broken rib? If it was a serious break, or (for Heaven sake!) more than one rib was broken, then there wouldn't be much she could do. The words 'flail chest' floated through her mind, and she grimaced again. She wasn't a surgeon, after all! Taking a deep breath, she reached tentatively for his injured side.
"I am going to press gently on your ribs," she said slowly, hoping he wasn't doing a silly thing like going into shock. "I want you to tell me how much it hurts and where, specifically." With her left hand she lifted him up a bit by his shoulder, glancing at him to gauge his reaction. With her right hand she began her inspection. At first she brushed softly along his side, feeling for swelling or an irregular lump. When she passed a curious spot for the second time, glancing at the stranger, Bleach lingered over the area for a moment before pressing ever-so-lightly on it. She could feel where it buckled inward slightly, and smiled with relief. It seemed to be the only damaged rib—on that side, at least—and a cracked rib she could definitely handle.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread