in the dark of the night
[html]
The fiery woman's reply caught the shadowy female off guard. The venom in her tone was one thing, but it was the words themselves that caused the shock in Kol's eyes. She didn't step back, not quite, but she did jump a bit at the outburst, stopping dead in her approach toward the other woman. "What?! Who the hell was it?! Why would they attack you? I know how Haku feels about you but..." The fact that some of her packmates could have left Firefly in such a state made the hackles along the black wolf's neck bristle. Months ago, Kol would have sworn there had to be some misunderstanding. But lately, she knew much, much better. Haku needed no excuse any longer to simply cast his pawns where he wished, to hurt whomever he chose.

As Firefly relaxed again, so too did her former packmate. Kol made no move to come closer, for it was clear that the Sadira wolf was in no mood for the company of a Dahlian. She merely pulled her haunches beneath her and sat where she'd stopped at the female's outburst: far enough to give her her space, but close enough that their voices would be kept low in the still of the night. Firefly's question caused Kol to ponder for awhile. Should she reveal her true intent to Firefly, who was no friend to Haku and may just as well make his subordinate's intentions known? Or should she stay quiet and make up some excuse? It was a gamble either way, but the woman's instincts told her that perhaps in this Firefly could be trusted. Packmother above knew the Stormbringer felt like she had no one else to truly turn to. Besides, Kol thought she detected the faintest scent of her Inferni friend on the woman's fiery pelt. "I was on my way to see someone, actually. I love Dahlia de Mai, and I would give my life to do what's best for them. Unfortunately, though I followed him unquestioningly through the last war, I no longer believe that Haku is the best person to lead the pack. Nor do I believe his very presence is healthy for them, to be honest. I've seen the grip of demons on those of my own blood, enough to recognize it in someone else. And Haku's been swallowed whole by his own, of that I'm sure." There, she'd said it. She hadn't voiced her complete thoughts on the subject to anyone before, and all Kol could do now was hope her traitorous words had been granted to the right wolf. She was dead if she was wrong.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread