The fire in my heart is out
[html]
ooc speech

She returned from the borders by early evening, padding through one of the main entrances to the pack's underground lair. She had left Scorpius to do his own things within the safety of the few caves that she had explored so far. She was hoping to be able to catch some food for him and start to try to introduce meats into his diet, a little at a time. The pelt of such a creature would also be useful, something to keep Scorpius warm at night.

She was aware of the chill of the territory that she had chosen, and was glad that she had a few wolves in the pack with knowledge of fire. Naniko knew how to start them as well. She had a small one going when she had left, and walked into the main community portion of the underground, where many of the tunnels converged, to find it still smoldering. The white wolfess warmed her hands over the embers before adding a few more pieces of wood and debris from the pile nearby.

[/html]
[html]

OOC here: Table & Coding © Anna; Sorry, it's been unusually cold where I am at (enough to actually get snow) and I'm anemic so I can't keep body heat so I've been freezing lately and unable to feel my fingers and toes. Also I was thinking that maybe Nani can teach Sele low speech (is she hadn't already starting teaching her already); 371 words

indent Juju was down for his nap so Sele didn't have to worry about him for the time being. Especially since she had placed a barrier in front of the narrow entrance to the cave that she had chosen. Juju was sleeping and contained within the room so she didn't have to worry about him wandering away from the room and getting hurt. Perhaps it was extreme to barricade him in but she had her reasons for doing so. Her mind was still in quite a fragile state and couldn't suffer another loss right now. That would just push the female over the edge, though she tried desperately not to let anyone know about it. She put on that pretty smile and pretended that a fractured mind wasn't being hidden.

indent She was about to head out to eat or just do something too keep her mind busy so that she didn't have the chance to reflect when she saw her sister sitting in the communal area. They hadn't really had the chance to sit down and talk since they got here. Sele moved over to the fire on her hands then dropped her feet to the ground to promptly sit down. "Juju is sleeping. I have him contained in my cave." She informed her sister so that she didn't think that she was looking for a babysitter. "It has been awhile." She remarked, speaking a partial amount of the thought that had ran through her mind.

indent Eyes stared into the remnants of the fire. For a moment the female had lost herself in the embers before looking back up to her sister. "It is all coming together nicely. It is starting to feel like it used to." A smile was forced onto her lips. "I can hardly believe this is really happening. It still feels like a dream." It wasn't that she doubted Nani. No, all of the doubts were pointed inwardly at herself. She felt like she was only here because she had begged Nani not to leave. She hadn't contributed anything and therefore was only a burden. But how could one really broach a subject like that? Especially when she tried to hide that she ever had such dark thoughts.

[/html]
[html]
Sad(( -pets- It's very cold here as well, and the people I'm staying with don't have enough money to keep the heat up or anything, so it's around 55 XD I'm wearing a jacket.

Her hands warmed slowly as she held them up to the fire. One good thing about the cave system was that in the summer time they would be nice and cool. Shaded and underground. This seemed like the perfect place to live to her, as long as they kept the fires going. She hoped that the firekeeper of the pack would do a good job with helping to keep them always lit and maintained. It could require some above-ground hole-drilling as well, some real strength to make some of those airways for the smoke to escape from.

Selene approached and she smiled at her sister, nodding. "Scorpius likes to think that he can run around on his own..but I don't think he's quite ready for that. He needs more training." She didn't want him running off or anything while she was off doing leader things. "I know. I can hardly believe it either...but it's true. I really like the caves..they offer protection from the wind and snow. And with these fires we can keep warm. So you're settling in well?"

[/html]
[html]

OOC here: Table & Coding © Anna; 528 words

indent She liked the caves as well, enjoyed the winding paths in which one could easily get lost. She felt protected underground where she didn't feel secure on the surface. But then again through her explorations of the caves she had noticed many more misleading paths and dead ends than tunnels that led to an actual destination. She figured that would make anyone secure. For it to be known there were more traps than there were actual passages. Except there weren't really any traps to be found. Perhaps that was a subject to be broached. While she didn't come off as tainted as others in her bloodline she had her own personal flavor of darkness. Since what happened in the cult she was big on protection.

indent She nodded her head and laughed quietly. She knew just how much of a handful that Scorpius could be at times. Juju had his own bouts as well, especially when he was around his cousin. "I am. I really like it here. It feels safe underground. I've explored some and found many misleading paths..." Her words trailed off as she glanced back over her shoulder and into the cave system settled behind her before focusing on her sister once more. "I think they can be safer though. With enough wandering whoever sneaks in can eventually find their way around and out. I was thinking that perhaps they shouldn't be able to explore any longer once they reach a dead end. A trap or pit of some sort to keep them in place until one of us, of the pack, can come and let them out. It could work well with any prey or predator that happens to try and take shelter here as well." It was only a suggestion and didn't really have to be used. But the thought of it gave Sele ease of mind. To know those that wandered without knowing their way wouldn't be allowed to wander for too long. But perhaps she was suffering from the first stages of paranoia and the suggestion should go ignored.

indent "I really want to thank you for allowing me to come with you. I want to make you proud and not regret me tagging along." Sele wasn't as disillusioned to not notice that she didn't provide much for the pack. But she didn't want to remain worthless. It was why she has asked for the rank that she did. Despite her caution and wariness she wanted to push herself to get to the surface more often and interact with others. She couldn't continue to burden Nani and cling to her all of the time. "If you have the time, I wouldn't mind continuing the lessons on low speech." That was step one after all. From there she could work on convincing the lower creatures to work for her, to work for them. That was her hope at least. And since she didn't come off as rough around the edges and seemed softer than some of the others in this pack then she figured that she could use this to her advantage when dealing with those of other packs and working on building relationships.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
.naniko .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.naniko p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko-border {width:379px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

Do we want 'em to do the low speech lesson in this thread? :]

She listened to her sister's concerns about the caves and nodded. It made sense. Most of the cave system was unexplored and would probably remain so for a while, until the pack expanded. They would all need to explore as much as they could. It made sense that a wolf would get lost in some of the caves and find some of the dead ends, and if it was a trespasser then she would want to keep them confused for as long as she could until they found a way to get rid of them.

"Maybe we could make some sort of booby traps in some of the tunnels...trap them there until we get enough pack members to come and take care of it" She said, nodding. "I was so happy to have found you and Juju and Demi...I don't know where I'd be without you. Alone, or maybe off somewhere with Azalea. I thought that I would try and get away by myself, that it would be safer..but I'm really glad that you're here. It doesn't seem like any of the old pack have tried to follow yet and do away with us or anything"

Naniko was happy to help Selene with her lessons, and took a place next to the other female. "Of course. It's a little tricky at first and might take a few lessons, but I can give you the basic things to practice. Low Speech is a good thing to try and learn...very useful." She often lured animals in with low speech and gained their trust so that she could have new test subjects.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

OOC here: Table & Coding © Anna; That is up to you if you want to, it doesn't matter to me... whatever you want to do; 529 words

indent She was glad that her idea was liked and just knowing that they were there would make her feel just that much safer and protected. To know that those who didn't know how to navigate the tunnels would be stuck someplace where they would be unable to reach Juju and Scorpius. After all it was the pups that she was more worried about. Of course she was still worried about her Demi as well. A mother could never forget her own children. It was just that Demi didn't seem to need her any longer. There was the belief that one day Demi would just disappear as Ouija had. Perhaps that is why she tended to keep Juju right with her most times. "Do you have any idea what type? I can try to work on them as best as I possibly can." It had been her to suggest it so she should labor with it as well. The only thing was that she knew traps would make her feel safe but she didn't know what would hold trespassers until they were to be found. All she could manage was the idea of something but not the exact details of what that something should be.

indent "And Ouija." Her older son hadn't made the trip with them but he had still been in the cult with them. At least until he had disappeared sometime in the commotion. She had no idea if he was among the deceased or not. She had been unable to find him and other bodies had been burned. He could have been among those and so it seemed that she would never know. Just the thought of it saddened her as she stared into the fire. She felt that she should have done something. That she should have been there with him some way. That she should have been able to protect him and keep track of him.

indent She forced the thoughts away so that hopefully Nani wouldn't notice the sudden drop in her mood. She still had two out of her three children and that was something to be thankful for. "Perhaps they think us unable to survive on our own." After all they had left in the winter and so food could prove to be scarce. She had no idea what was actually going on in their minds but it was just a thought. A rather sad thought to think that anyone could want them dead. That anyone could want Nani did after all that her older sister had done for her.

indent She smiled and nodded her head as her sister agreed to share her knowledge. She shifted to make sure that Nani had room so that she could still remain near the fire to keep warm. "Okay." She agreed with another nod of her head, wanting to make the other proud of her. She had one of the softer personalities in the pack, the family and so it only seemed to make sense that she took on the role of diplomat. Also because she easily had the ear of the leader with Nani being her sister and having helped her out on occasions before.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

I don't actually remember how she learned it, it was so long ago XDD So oocly is fine with me Wink wc: 250

"Perhaps rocks up on some of the higher ledges...though I'm not sure how you'd get up there to put them there in the first place." She said. "We'd have to come up with some kind of a marker system and announce it at a pack meeting so that people know where the traps are. Maybe I should start to draw a map or something so that I can map out exactly where we have traps like that." What she was thinking was about a way to trap the threat so that they could gather more wolves to take care of them. Those rocks would be great for blocking a tunnel off so that they could do just that.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't sure if I should mention him. I wonder where he is, now...maybe you ought to visit the surrounding packs in the area and see if they've heard of him?" She suggested. She planned on trying to go out and find more of her family in the surrounding area once the pack was more established. She was worried about outsiders trying to come in because of the new borders. "Do you have any other ideas for traps? I mean...maybe we could try and use some kind of a detection system. A panel hidden in the middle of the path underneath some rocks or something that would be connected to a string we could hang a bell onto?" Such an odd idea...she wondered if it made any sense at all.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

OOC here: Table & Coding © Anna; That's fine, can just say they had the lessons but not actually do them; 322 words

indent She nodded her head. Yes, that would be a difficult task for her but perhaps others could manage the work on that one. Not that she was thinking about what work could she do with her condition? She couldn't stand up for seconds at a time and she hadn't mastered the shift, usually getting stuck between forms. Because of that she hardly ever shifted. The more she thought of it there really wasn't a whole lot that she could do. "If everyone took a section of the system each day we could learn it and map it out quicker. I've already found the dead ends near my den." At least that was something that she could help with. She knew the system around where she stayed and could add that to her sister's map since hers was only mental.

indent She smiled sadly and nodded her head. She missed her older son dearly and blamed herself for not knowing where he was. What kind of mother didn't know where their children were? Bad ones just like her, that is what kind. "Perhaps. Do you think Juju would be able to travel that far?" She had been keeping her pup close by lately because she didn't want him getting lost either. There was already the worry and fear that Demi was about to leave soon. She felt that she was about to lose all of her children.

indent She shrugged and shook her head, not really coming up with anything that would be of any help. "I don't really know. Maybe holes for them to get stuck in?" Not a well thought out plan actually but it was what she could think of. Something to keep them in place so that they couldn't travel any farther. It was also nonlethal so that if any in the family fell in by mistake then they could be rescued. At least that was the process behind her thoughts.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

wc: 205

"I think I might try and find an explorer...see if any of the Zepars might be interested in that rank. I don't want to take away from their jobs if we do get some, and I know there are a lot of tunnels, too. I'm not sure. We'll figure something out, though" She wanted the pack to be safe and for them all to feel secure living in Anathema. Perhaps they could set up some kind of booby traps around the border as well, ones that members knew about but a wandering soul wouldn't. Selene spoke again, offering more ideas, and Naniko gave her an appreciative smile.

"Holes would be a good idea, too. One too deep for them to climb out of, but shallow enough that they wouldn't be badly injured from the fall" Maybe that would be the solution for their border. She grinned at the thought; any pack member could easily dig a hole. "And Juju...I don't know. I try to keep Scorpius close to me but he wanders, as pups do. We can only hope they'll stick around once they're adults, huh" The female shook her head. Out of all her children she only knew for certain where two of them were.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

OOC here: Table & Coding © Anna; 366 words

indent Sele would have volunteered except well, because of her condition. She could look around and explore but she wouldn't be able to help out in any real excavation work. She could walk them but do nothing should one cave in. Also it would be difficult to carry around anything to draw the map on or with. Everything would have to be committed to memory so that she could draw it up later. So again she was pretty much useless because she wasn't able to stand like everyone else could. Still she would offer her services in whatever way that she could. Do what she might be able to do and just hope that was enough.

indent Sele had nodded her head along with her sister's words. Hopefully one of them would want to take up the task. It would be a great help after all. To have one that wanted to spend their time walking and exploring the caves. One that would be able to draw out the maps. After all that was Sele's hindrance since she didn't mind walking the cave system.

indent She smiled as her idea was liked. It was the only one that she could come up with. "Then it would depend on someone with equipment to get them out. Could keep them down there and question them before letting them out." It was only a vague notion and wasn't even certain if it would be a good one or not. She liked to think it was good that they wouldn't be able to get away before they were questioned and all information that was needed could be gotten out of them.

indent It was the same with Sele. She only knew where to find two of her children. It still bothered her to not know where the other one was. Still with Nani's words she ended up nodding again. "I really wouldn't want to lose him too. Or Demi. I hope they all stay and just grow and have families here and those families stay too." She didn't want to lose any of her children, or any more of her children at least. She already had too many experiences with loss in her lifetime.

[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">
#nani01b { width: 400px; background: #fff url('http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n571/britcurtisxo/naniko01.jpg') top center no-repeat; padding-top: 350px; padding-bottom: 15px; border: 1px solid #000; color: #000; font-family: georgia; font-size: 14px; text-align: justify; }
#nani01b p { margin: 10px 20px; line-height: 15px; }
#nani01b .ooc { color: #acacac; font-style: italic; margin-bottom: 15px; }
#nani01b b { color: #b88810; }
</style>

wc: 283

Children would come and go, and that was the sad part of it. Brooklyn and Salem…would she ever see them again? They had left ‘Souls completely, to her knowledge. Would she see them again? It was true that Naniko had never taken a direct role in raising her litters of children, having first been kicked out of Crimson Dreams and then leaving Phoenix Valley after the birth of her second litter, but maybe that was just how she was. She was doing well with Scorpius, she felt…maybe this was her turning over a new leaf. She couldn’t know. This time things seemed stable enough for her to stick around and want to be a part of the pack that she was in. She wasn’t kicked out, wasn’t hiding from anyone any more.

”That is a wonderful idea, sister. You’ve got some great ones.” Selene was providing her with some very good ideas, ones she would definitely have to broach to the pack. Naniko smiled a toothy smile at her sister. ”We’ll do what we have to do.” If it came down to leaving the wolf in the hole for a few days until they got their answer, then so be it. Her sister spoke once more about the children and Naniko nodded in agreement. ”Yes..we’ll have to figure out some way to keep them around. I would hope that Scorpius will stay once he is older, and that he will find a mate in the pack. We should play matchmaker, perhaps” She suggested. Naniko continued to speak to Selene for a few hours, plotting out hole locations and other traps within the cave system before heading back to her den for the evening.

[/html]