(M) Kallisto (Critique)
Here is a character i intend to bring in to 'Souls in may, if the gorgeous SA let me, i was hoping if ya'll could get me some criticism to help me shape her to be realistic. If she isn't realistic enough Big Grin

Just a note Before you start reading, I know only characters who have been on 'Souls for 6 months can contribute puppy points which is why I will be stealing 2 from some random male who belongs to 'Souls, any takers btw? The sex will never be rp'ed out since it occurred outside of 'Souls and most likely the male will never know he has pups. Big Grin

also the specifics about the sailing and stuff are still being worked out Big Grin

Sooo here we go;

Name: Kallisto D'Kaylo
B/D: January 9th 2007
Species:40% Canis lupus familiaris, 60% Canis mesomelas schmidti. Some of her dog DNA include: Great Dane, Saluki, Greyhound, Africanis and more prevalently Cocker Spaniel
Luperci:Yes
Relations:
Mother: Rana
Father: Tailo
Full Siblings: None
Half Siblings:
Litter 2: RanaxCougar:Hanai(M), Droca(F), Bastira(F), Lily(F), Badana(F), Indio(M), Karma(F), Firerose(F), Teeka(F), Drena(F)

Litter 3:RanaxDaltera: Bitna(F), Tallak(F), Essora(F), Tarick(M), Elaiysa(M), Meera(F)

Litter 4:RanaxDhrain: Rollina(F), Kaisey(F), Ellna(F), Mozaic(M)

Also various nieces and nephews from her siblings litters.

Appearance: Black and Tan splodged, the woman has the appearance of a Cocker Spaniel but with upright ears courtesy of her jackal heritage, a longer tail and shorter fur than a Cocker Spaniel would have.

Her underside is toffee brown while her top is midnight black. The insides of her legs and her palms/pawpads are a rusty gold color and her tail has a splodge of white at the end. Her eyes are a deep brown color, the color of dark chocolate

Her fur is short and silky and luxurious to the touch, she almost obsessively brushes it every night before she goes to sleep and in the morning when she wakes up provided she has the time to do so.

In her optime form she stands at 6 foot 5, she is tall and lanky with a slim frame although her breasts are quite large, something she uses to her advantage. In this form her mane is very long and is often kept in a braid during the day to keep it out of her face.

She carries with her a bag of camel leather, decorated with ornate beads from the depths of Saudi Arabia and fancy embroidery from Egypt. Within the bag she carries her beloved brush and comb that were given to her by her grandmother and a piece of paper bearing an ancient symbol she hopes to one day be tattooed with as she hasn't yet found a person she trusts enough to tattoo her. She also carries with her, her mother's fighting knives from when Rana fought in contests before she fell pregnant, these along with the bag and hair set are her most treasured possessions

Biography: Kallisto was born as a one pup litter to Rana D'Kaylo in the unknown far east(AKA roughly about Saudi Arabia and adjoining area. She never really knew her jackal father, a luperci vertos, who dropped by from time to time to see how she and her mother were doing. For a long time it was only her and her mother living and playing together under the warm eastern skies.

Then one day when she was about one year old a lone jackal named cougar came across their sun kissed home. He courted Kallisto's mother, wooing her with pleasurable words and flattering songs that intended to keep her attention off the wooing he was doing to her daughter.

Whilst he impregnated Rana with his pups he was also attempting to impregnate her daughter as well, although Kallisto's young body had not yet matured enough to bear pups. Most everything Kallisto learned about sex and loving she learned from Cougar. Eventually Rana discovered what he had been doing to her daughter and chased him off. Two weeks later she gave birth to her second litter, a huge ten pups.

When her half brothers and sisters appeared, Rana stopped acting as much a mother to Kallisto as a sister. Rana and Kallisto flourished under the guise of their shared motherhood. All of the pups surviving their first few months of life. At this point Kallisto's body finally matured and she went through her first heat cycle, although there were no males around for her to mate with apart from her young brothers.

As her siblings began to grow as well a certain dynamic formed within their pack. The female pups were treated better than the male pups by both their mother and older sister, which eventually led to the females dominating their brothers, it was normal for the family their mother told them, the females were stronger and therefore more dominant.

When the litter were about 8 months old and Kallisto almost two years their mother once again met a male. This time it was a wolf/dog mix called Daltera that captured Rana's heart. He stayed with her throughout her pregnancy, helping her and Kallisto care for the pups. When the litter of 6 new balls of fur came along, everyone was happy.

As some of the pups from Rana's second litter began to make their way into the world, Kallisto stayed with her mother and her new mate. Again helping to look after the half siblings she had gained.

When Kallisto turned two and a half, tragedy struck the family. A freak monsoon type storm drenched the area, and Kallisto's mother was swept into the raging river that formed. Undaunted by the swelling waves, one of the males, Indio from the second litter leaped into the river to save his mother, managing to drag her to the bank and push her up before being swept away himself, they ran after the brave male searching for him and found both him and Daltera dead by the riverside, both drowned by the water's fury.

Following the loss, Kallisto's mother mourned for many months for her lost mate and child. Drowning her sorrows in alcohol and drugs while her huge family looked on is helplessness. It was during one such drunken episode that Rana seduced and mated with a coy-dog named Dhrain. The resulting pregnancy was enough to shock Rana from the alcohol and drugs for the sake of the pups that now grew inside of her, to the relief of the family.

As she approached the age of 3 years, Kallisto began to realize that her mother no longer needed her firstborns help. Her second litter had grown and many now had puppies of their own. The third litter was also beginning to produce their own spawn. Kallisto decided it was time for he to leave her large and numerous family members and strike out on her own.

After saying goodbye to her family, who were surprisingly understanding about their oldest sister wanting to leave, she set off for pastures anew. Using her womanly charms and well developed body to gain favors from men, her knowledge gained from Cougar proving invaluable to her.

Eventually she crossed the great east and she came upon the old human town known as Paris, and while staring at the remains of the Eiffel Tower she meets a collie dog female like herself named Io Berlin. They decide to travel together and become to lean on each other like sisters, sharing their life experiences and skills.

They trekked down through the countries until they reached Rome's seaport and a surprising slave market industry. They decided that their future lay over the seas to the land that laid to the west of them. With their plan sorted, Kallisto seduced one of the guards that kept the ships and managed to incapacitate him whilst Io crept into the slave market and stole a slave, unknowing that a young male had tagged along as well.

They stole the ship and began to make their way to the Americas with their two slaves; 2 year old wolf, Iven and 10 month old, Tornjac/wolf cross Ibycus. Io mated with Iven and became pregnant with his pups, not long after Iven was killed when a storm struck as he was flung overboard and drowned. The three of them eventually reached the US shores of Nova Scotia and a week after docking Io gave birth to four pups although sadly only one was strong enough to survive, he was named Sarajevo.

Just after Io gave birth, Kallisto met up with one of the resident canines who was from the territory known as 'Souls and decided to sample the goods at the other side of the ocean. Amazingly during all of her encounters with males not once had she fallen pregnant but her luck ran out and she found herself pregnant to the unknown canine who had disappeared as soon as they'd finished.

She, Io and Ibycus waited a few weeks at the site where they had docked before moving down the coast and entering 'Souls unknowingly.

Personality: Kallisto is not usually shy, she generally tends to speak her mind but will hold her tongue if she cannot be bothered arguing her point. She is independent and robust, caring and very motherly. She has a strong maternal instinct even through her mothers teachings that female pups are more important than males although she tends to hide it until no ones around to see.

She believes that females are the stronger gender despite their usually smaller stature and will never hesitate to defend herself, her siblings or family either verbally or physically and will quite often inflict quite a lot of damage with her teeth, claws and knives in fights she does get involved in.

ok 'Souls, take your best shot Big Grin
I already poked at this yesterday, but I poked again and other than those two questions I had I've got nothin' Smile The background is detailed and sound, and you are including a realistic amount of time for travel.

You could perhaps add some more bad/weak qualities to her personality to balance that, and list her general abilities and drawbacks (f.ex. Dawali is a sucky swimmer) Smile
Quote:Within the bag she carries her beloved brush and comb that were given to her by her grandmother and a piece of paper bearing an ancient symbol she hopes to one day be tattooed with.
Why hasn't she yet? Tattooing would be more prevalent in the cities and over in Europe. Perhaps she has to have some kind of journey/achievement prior to getting the tattoo? :3 That would give you something to work toward, anyway! Also, I don't see her grandmother mentioned in the history -- maybe this could be a gift from her mother.

Quote:Kallisto was born as a one pup litter to Rana D'Kaylo in the unknown far east.
Where, exactly? :> I see you've chosen this guy as her jackal heritage; I'm assuming it comes from her mother...? I just wanted to clarify that those guys come from east Africa in case you were thinking east Europe or east Asia, since only golden jackals are found in those areas. :O If her jackal heritage comes from her father though, ignore me, she could pretty much come from anywhere (assuming mama was a dog mix). :3

Quote:Two weeks later she gave birth to her second litter, a huge ten pups.
I thiiiiink jackals are capable of slightly larger litters than wolves, but still, the largest litter I know of in 'Souls canon was only eight puppies, and two ended up dying off. :3

Quote:The three of them eventually reached the US shores of Nova Scotia and a week after docking...

Hm! Ships directly to Nova Scotia/'Souls are actually rare, boats to Freetown would be far more common and plausible. :o There aren't any viable/known ports in Nova Scotia, anyway. ^^

I think Kiri addressed the concerns about puppies. :o These are just a few things I saw, but I agree with Marit. Most everything looks solid!
whootness ^^

the tattoo: she hasn't yet met anyone she trusts enough with a needle and ink to tattoo her with, after all in 'Souls you don't hand strangers needles and say get on with it Big Grin unless you're mental. and herpa derp, i did indeed forget her grandma Big Grin i shall change it

Birthplace: She was born around the Saudi Arabia type area, somewhere around that point, also her family (and her mother before she was born) moved around a lot, so they've probably ended up living in most of the nothern most countries of africa. Also, her father was a pure jackal who just happened to be wandering around the area and her mother was a jackal/dog mix. :3

Litter size: i did ask about that and i got an affirmative of the 10 pup litter Big Grin and i figure it would be alright cause i don't really intend to bring any of her siblings to 'Souls at this moment in time

For the sailing thing: the sailing thing has been kinda rearranged and i forgot to update it. they originally set off from Rome with a larger crew and ship, but the rest of the crew died of either disease or drowning in the same storm that takes Io's mate. its also the reason they crash at NS. They don't dock, they kind of plough into the land Big Grin

but i will update all this and change the stuff as soon as i get out of this crappy lecture about genetics Big Grin
Gotcha! That makes sense about the tattoo, and she should definitely be able to befriend someone who she trusts enough here. :o Makes sense, after all. ^^; <3 Also, the grandma thing -- that's why we post for critique here! Big Grin <3

Also, I think Saudia Arabia would be a plausible place for Cape Jackals to drift. ;o Do keep in mind though, that common golden jackals are more common in that area. You might want to incorporate some of that into her heritage! If this helps, here is a subspecies map showing you exactly where each subspecies comes from. :3 I don't think it's implausible that she'd be entirely cape jackal, however, so if you wanted to keep it that way, s'all good. :3 Just maybe important to explain it in her history. <3

Oh, derp! I must've missed about the litter. ;D

And gotcha about the sailing! Would be interesting to have the rotting remains of a ship somewhere along the coast for a while, anyway. ;D
i suppose if it makes it more feasible then i could make her a half common golden and a half east african jackal, jsut to make it more realistic then that would be all good Big Grin

and herpa derpy derp

*goes off to make all the changes