This is a long way off.
[html]

I'll be editing this post as I develop the character. But anyways~ I saw other character ideas being posted here, and thought it was a good idea. I'm learning about all this Luperci stuff so hopefully when this character comes around, I'll be well versed in it.

Name: Halsten Tjark Lewenhardt

Swedish, "rock stone". German, "king of nations". German, "lion-strong".

Species: Canis familiaris ortus
Father: Guntram Orsch-Lewenhardt (German Shepherd/Bernese Mountain Dog)
Mother: Nikifor Vladislav (Russian Pariah Dog [Shepherd-type, Collie-type.])
Siblings: Many litters. Half-siblings galore. Those from the same litter are as follows:

Volund & Ekkhardt, twin boys.
Unnamed female, deceased. (Removed from the family by Guntram).

Family History:
- Comes from a line of German-bred police dogs; once the humans were wiped out his great grandparents survived by gradually migrating to Russia.

-This took quite a while, so generations of these dogs were produced, until eventually the German Shepherd line has been tainted with other breeds.

-They retain much of the militaristic view that has been passed down for generations, and set up a nearly Romanic style of rule over part of Moskow.

-They are pushed out and eventually control only one defined area, and life continues. The males have the power and authority, the females are treated with respect but have little say in the politics of their society.

-Rituals are present in the society, much of them being bloody and sacrificial, but not religious.

-The strongest survive and breed, so when a Bernese Mountain Dog arrives from Sweden, he is quick to control the group. His litter produces the male known as Guntram Orsch-Lewenhardt.

- Guntram is raised to be aggressive, a warrior, and is trained in the ways of his ancestors.

-The group migrates back in to Moskow to try and take control of it once more and - customary to his people - this figure takes many wives. One of which being Nikifor. (She is simply a pariah dog - a mess of other breeds that has turned in to a mottled mutt)

Appearance:

LUPUS! Much like the standard German Shepherd, except he would be a solid gray (kind of like a Russian Blue cat?) with a darker gray-black saddle marking, and white on his face & toes. He is slightly broader in the shoulders and bulky, with thicker fur on his sides and within his tail. Ears are erect. He is far from compact, but this gives him the size advantage and the ability to keep warm in the winter. The dark coloration of his fur comes from the confusing genetics of his mother, and her collie genetics. The white upon his face (nose) comes from the Bernese Mountain Dog within his father, while the saddle marking and general appearance of his face and body are German Shepherd in origin.

SECUI! His throat gets bulkier and grows extra fur, his spine seems to shorten and add bulk, and his legs become thicker. The tail seems to get absorbed as he doesn't need the fluffy mess when in this form. Colors remain the same, although there is an added set of orange markings that appear on both sides of his mouth, dots above his eyes, and orange-gold stockings up to his shoulders. The shorter tail becomes painted in white on it's end as well.

ORTUS! A more humanized form of course. He is shorter than average due to being a dog hybrid, but his shoulders are broad and his body is toned. The slate-gray fur covers his body and lightens to white on his chest, trailing down to his belly button in a V-shape. The orange-gold face markings from his Secui form are prevalent upon his legs, but not his face. His hair is kept short in a military fashion, or left to grow - but never gets very long. His toes are spotted with white and the back of his hands have white, shooting up along the wrist in a V-shape, then turning in to orange-gold from the wrist to outside of the elbow. He rarely wears clothing, but can be seen in jeans or cargo pants.

Character History: Born in to the pack within Moskow, given his "life-test" soon after weaning, and survives. This test is one given to all the males born in to his pack; they are sent away as soon as they are able to control themselves, set to live in the wilderness as animals, and bring back the pelt of a rival. Unfortunately, when Halsten left for his test - he was followed, by a young girl who had been slated for execution. Females born to the Lewenhardt line are usually butchered upon birth, but this one in particular was hidden away, raised by the pariah dog packs in the area. She had been watching Halsten grow early in life, and when he was sent away from his home - she was misguided in her thinking that he was in need of her help. While the female tracked him, eager to meet and befriend the lonesome boy, it was she that became his prey. However, upon initiating contact and being faced with the brutal reality that he would have to kill her, Halsten faltered. He found himself unable to do it, far too reluctant, too soft. She begged to be freed but he knew if she was allowed to live - not only was he failing his test, but his family would be dishonored. She could not escape him, it was forbidden. When she tried to escape, he chased after her - she stumbled, sliding down a ledge and in to the ruins of a building in Moskow; she bled out before his eyes and all he could think was, 'I am responsible for this.' Afterwards, when Halsten found the blood upon his hands, he maniacally tried to scrape the blood from his palms and on to the ground. He was in such a state of shock that the boy did not realize the rocks were cutting him, scraping the skin from the bone, and leaving gashes. The blood poured from his own wounds and he was numbed by it, and then tried to stop the red flow by absently brushing his hands against his chest - creating similar wounds with his claws.

This scars his psyche and - while as a child he feels immense guilt and remorse for his actions, as he ages this guilt manifests as rage. Those with authority use this rage as a tool to further sculpt him, indoctrinating him in to their "army" style society. He becomes one of the higher-standing warriors within his police-state style pack, delivering honor to his family with each kill, and each battle.

Personality: Growing up in such a brutal environment, anyone would have to adapt. At first this presented itself with an intense guilt; his first kill leading to a mental breakdown, during which he mutilated his chest and palms. While early on in life he was a very arrogant child, the traumatic incident that led to such a breakdown converted him: Halsten became withdrawn and quiet, obident, burrowing inside of his splintered psyche as a way to cope with the killing and the nature of his life. In later years as he was nearing adolescence, Halsten's guilt-ridden mind and duty-trained behavior became confused with one another. He was mentally shattered, and the more stress way applied, only made him worse. To cope, Halsten became angry; his conflicting emotions (between the terror and guilt from his actions, and the sense of duty and honor that was being drilled in to him) caused a swell of new emotions. He became aggressive to everyone, lashing out at every turn, transforming in to a brutal animal just as his forebearers expected - just as they wanted. He adapted to life as a warrior and hid his doubts, his guilts, his pain, and focused on doing what was asked of him. Now an adult, Halsten is the perfect centurion of his people: an obedient and loyal fighter, heavily instilled with the honor of his civilization, rought with savage and sadistic tendencies.

Having never learned how to interact with anyone his own age, Halsten did not grow up with proper familial attachments. He had no friends, no allies, and was taught that everyone was a potential enemy. He is not paranoid of others, if that is what you might expect. If someone shows strength of character, or some form of physical resistance or prowess, he will oblige to their wishes. Power and cunning are high upon his list of traits to look for in strong individuals, and he is the perfect follower. It was part of his training after all. Eager to fight, to kill, to get the dirty work done and show just how magnificent his family is - this duty to become an honored installment of society is a driving force for him. All actions focus on that one thing: Honor. If his behavior does not bring honor - then he is shamed, and will have to make up for it somehow. Now, in his world this means something somewhat different from most others. Honor does not come in defeating your enemy swiftly, or surviving a brutal battle. It comes from delivering unsubstantiated pain and suffering upon your foe; to bring him down to the base level of existence and then snuff him out, as a sacrifice to the deities of his people. All deaths are tributes to the Lupus gods, and the more he presents to them, the greater standing he will hold in the afterlife. The more honor his family will recieve, and the greater their line will flourish.

[/html]
[html]
Critiques are welcome!
[/html]
... Dude, I don't even know what to critique! He sounds like a kick-ass character with a seriously interesting background, and I see nothing that would require alteration in what you've posted so far. :O
:O Really. I think he needs a re-done appearance so it isn't so lame. But IDK! I can't decide. That, and I need to figure out his personality better... Maybe make him less of an army-douche and more of a... Hmm. A mercenary with a heart? But then that's kind of silly, unless I do it right... Fffffff. Thank you kindly, nonetheless!
! NO. I love the, like, steely blue-gray color of Russian blue cats. XD [html]Something like this?[/html] Yesss, such a purdy color! His markings also seem pretty awesome! I don't know, I think his appearance sounds really good. ^^;; Maybeee he wears dog tags or something, for a bit of added military look? :O The kind with the plastic/rubber rim so they don't make quite so much noise as he walks.

You could tryyy.. maybe watching a war movie or two to get some ideas? I like Black Hawk Down a whole lot, and I'm not usually a war movie person. X3 I'm sure others would be able to recommend some sources for you. Maybe look up some famous war generals and try to draw ideas from their Wikipedia pages or something? :o
QUOTE (Tatiana Carrow @ Mar 7 2011, 10:54 PM)
[html]

Appearance:

LUPUS! Much like the standard German Shepherd, except he would be a solid gray (kind of like a Russian Blue cat?) with a darker gray-black saddle marking, and white on his face & toes. He is slightly broader in the shoulders and bulky, with thicker fur on his sides and within his tail. Ears are erect. He is far from compact, but this gives him the size advantage and the ability to keep warm in the winter. The dark coloration of his fur comes from the confusing genetics of his mother, and her collie genetics. The white upon his face (nose) comes from the Bernese Mountain Dog within his father, while the saddle marking and general appearance of his face and body are German Shepherd in origin.

SECUI! His throat gets bulkier and grows extra fur, his spine seems to shorten and add bulk, and his legs become thicker. The tail seems to get absorbed as he doesn't need the fluffy mess when in this form. Colors remain the same, although there is an added set of orange markings that appear on both sides of his mouth, dots above his eyes, and orange-gold stockings up to his shoulders. The shorter tail becomes painted in white on it's end as well.

ORTUS! A more humanized form of course. He is shorter than average due to being a dog hybrid, but his shoulders are broad and his body is toned. The slate-gray fur covers his body and lightens to white on his chest, trailing down to his belly button in a V-shape. The orange-gold face markings from his Secui form are prevalent upon his legs, but not his face. His hair is kept short in a military fashion, or left to grow - but never gets very long. His toes are spotted with white and the back of his hands have white, shooting up along the wrist in a V-shape, then turning in to orange-gold from the wrist to outside of the elbow.

[/html]
[/quote]

- Scars on palms from childhood; scrape marks from clawing at rocks after his first kill. Claw marks on his chest running down from pectorals, hidden by fur. Same reason.
- Clothing is more medieval than the North American luperci since he is from Europe. Essentially a Germanic centurion. Black metal breastplate with filigree'd gold edges, and a familial design across one side. Heavy white/gray cape attached with metal clasps made of silver. Lower body might have simple greaves if he really feels like it. Or leather pants, but he finds them uncomfortable. Clothing is usually not worn though, unless during a ceremony or if he is seeing family members.
- Yellow eyes.
- Carries a small vial on a silver chain with ashes inside. Unexplained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Germany

Quote:At the critical moment in its history in November 1989, the NVA rallied to its Germanic heritage and rejected Communism, refusing to battle the demonstrators protesting the Communist regime. Mikhail Gorbachev refused to let Soviet troops become engaged, and so not just the leadership but the entire Communist system in East Germany collapsed, and the country saw soon absorbed by West Germany.[39]

'Souls states that humans were wiped out in 1988, so that never happened. So from that point onwards, even though humans would be gone, perhaps the resident canines had been accustomed to a similar lifestyle. Halsten could be a communist and not know it? Hmm.

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycurgus_%28Sparta%29

Lycurgus' name could be part of their ideology. Perhaps a god they worship? But they aren't religious... So perhaps he is a warrior they have come to admire, and perform their rituals for his honor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Rhetra

- Recite this during sacrifices. Or an adapted version, since it is quite old, and they wouldn't fully understand the human writing.
I'm digging these history ideas you have jotted down. 8D If you wanted to put it on the Wiki, that would be awesome! Big Grin
I am loving this :| Marry me?
<333 to both of you. Big Grin
Im tempted to add stuff to the Wiki. Maybe I will when I'm not so stressed with my RL (we're moving soon, aaahhh).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Cyprus

Some family members (ancient) came from Cyprus and settled in Switzerland/Sweden. Then came to Russia and formed what is how the Lewenhardt family. This explains the connection to medieval/knightly society. Canines from Cyprus were very basic until the humans went extinct, formulating their own society and adapting it after the medieval civilization that had once been there. Families broke away from Cyprus due to famine and war, but a few clusters of Luperci still remain. By the year 1988 they had spread towards Sweden, with a number of families settling down and starting new lives. A few families continued the traditions of their ancestors, keeping the line of knights and barons alive - which is why it is such a significant part of the Lewenhardt family line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_washing_in_Judaism

One of the rituals performed is the "hand washing" that used to occur with Judaism within human society. Although it has adapted over the years and been warped; instead of washing the hands, they get slaves to wash their feet in wine before an important ceremony, or in the blood of the slain enemy after a battle. It is considered both a positive ritual (in the case of the wine, which is then fed to the creature denoted as the sacrificial-offering), or a negative one (blood; insulting the dead, or showing power over them. Tainting their blood so that they suffer in the afterlife.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lykaia

Another possible deity that they could honor. Part of their creation-theory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_ancient_Greece
Quote:The religious practices of the Greeks extended beyond mainland Greece, to the islands and coasts of Ionia in Asia Minor, to Magna Graecia (Sicily and southern Italy), and to scattered Greek colonies in the Western Mediterranean, such as Massalia (Marseille). Greek religion was tempered by Etruscan cult and belief to form much of the later Ancient Roman religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theurgy
Majority of rituals are done to honor specific 'deities' or ancient warriors, in hopes of gaining their blessing and becoming one with their power. Various sects within the society run by the Lewenhardt family refuse to participate, and are then shunned out of the family. At times wars break out in order to quell the 'heathens'; these specific families that refuse the theurgic approach believe they can be empowered by their own skill, and not by the power of ritual.
I've got the character finished now. And I think I have a lot of information and ideas for his family, so that's pretty much sorted out. Now to get posting with Tatiana so I can bring him in! Big Grin

Any critiques out there for any of this?
Jesuswoman. :O he's insanely awesome. Dibs on roleplaying with him. He also sounds like someone Vali would carry a torch for. If she weren't in her happy relationship. B-b-b-b-b-b-but. I have evil plans concerning that.

Anyhow. He's a really cool character and I honestly can't wait until he's completely made. Smile