Heart Shaped Box
[html]
How long had it been? Almost two months their world had come crashing down and already the place was beginning to feel like home. He'd settled in pretty quickly, despite how hard it had been in his heart and his mind, but knowing that Naniko and the others were there, supporting him, it made everything that much more smooth. Already some of them had wandered off though, Anka and Nocht, he hadn't seen hide nor hair of them for almost a month. They found family members, he often told himself, or found that another pack had a friend or two and moved on. The reality was, Conri didn't know what exactly had happened to them, despite his constant search for them. Their scents had all but disappeared from the lands completely.

Settling himself on the porch of the great Manor, Conri settled his two feet on the step below him, resting his arm down against his legs, leaning himself forward. Naniko was likely out with the pups, they'd gotten so big already and to the point that they were starting to wander around on their own, he was glad to see that they were around to occupy her time. His mate was a wonderful mother, even to children that were not her own, and that had been on the mind of the young Leader for some time now. How would she feel about children of her own? She hadn't seemed to mind when Dhalia and Khaden had been around but that was a different situation, wasn't it?

[/html]
Iskata had spoken with Kansas about her move to the glen and in the end he'd decided that he would go stay with Naniko in Twilight Vale. The silver and gold lady hadn't known if her son had made it there yet, but she was going to find out today. If he had not then atleast she would be able to tell Naniko to look out for him when he did arrive. She hoped that he would be safe in Twilight Vale, she didn't have any doubts that her adopted daughter would protect him with her life but she'd worry about him none the less. Shaking her head she sighed and wished him luck silently.

She'd been pacing along with her head down, thinking about everything that had been going on lately. Her large family was begining to become even more seriously complicated and seemed to have a world of troubles crashing down on them all. Iskata flicked her tail back and forth in her irritation. She didn't know what to do about Haku, he hadn't done anything more yet that she knew about, but he was still dangerous, even she knew that. The little boy inside seemed so scared, and yet he'd done such horrible things as well. There was just too much to worry about and so much she couldn't even help.

She raised her head, her eyes gazing the lands around her as she moved farther into the packlands. Cresting a hill she spotted the manor off in the distance, the figure perched upon the porch caught her attention, his brilliant red coat glittering in the sunlight as she paused to watch him a moment. She knew the scent but couldn't place it, it'd been so long since she'd last seen the male. Curiousity getting the best of her the silver and gold lady made her way down the path to the large home.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity she finally reached the real yard of the homeland. Pausing a few dozen yards from the porch she wagged her tail in a sign of friendliness as she spoke up. "Hallo?" she called as she took a few more steps closer, hoping the male's memory was better than hers.
[html]
Pups were indeed a big decision, nothing that Conri would want to jump into without making sure that it was what Naniko wanted. Maybe it would be best to wait until the other pups were a little older? That would mean, depending on how many pup he and Naniko were to have, that the other pups might be to old by them and wouldn't want to have anything to do with babies. He'd always longed for someone to keep him company when he was younger, for someone his age to romp around with and play, he was lucky that Naniko had showed up that day. She had been able to fill multiple holes in his life, it seemed.

The voice in the distance was the only thing that was able to break his concentration on his own thoughts, head lifting suddenly and eyes darting toward the figure. A stranger, his brows furrowed a bit, curious as to why they would so knowingly pass across pack borders. It was only after a moment that the image started to click in his head, his memory rushing back thoughts. "Is..kata.." He only managed to mutter, almost under his breath. He hadn't seen her in ages. Had Naniko seen her? Did his mate know that her mother had returned? Suddenly unsure, the young Leader's face went blank.

Everything that he could remember about Iskata was somehow tied to pain, and not his own. Naniko had been so upset for so long, it had caused so many problems with DaVinci, at least that's what he speculated. He wasn't sure if he should be happy to see her or not. "Looking for Naniko?" At least this way he might be able to find out if Naniko already knew she was back or not, if she did already know, then Conri hadn't a clue that she did.

[/html]
She smiled as the male called out her name, she'd had a long walk to try and figure out who he was and it'd taken long enough. When it had finally fallen into place she was surprised it had taken so long. She could recall in her head when he had been so little come calling for Naniko and the amusement she'd had at him finding her mother instead. Iskata moved closer to the porch as Conri spoke up again, asking if she was looking for her daughter. She stopped in her tracks again, a few feet from the male, looking up to him as she answered. "Not exactly, I was wondering if her brother was here yet.." she asked sheepishly as she sat there.

The silver and gold hued woman wasn't going to take another step forward unless she was given reason to. Smiling at Conri she sat back and flicked her tail over her paws as she spoke. "I hear you two have taken good care of the pack here... I asked Kansas to find himself a good pack and I thought he'd be heading this way since he's so close to Nani." she kindof trailed off a moment as she thought about how happy he was when Nanik owas brought into any subject. It was more than obvious he cared a lot about his older sister. "I've joined Labyrith Glen with Ember.. and I asked Kansas to join one of the packs.. because it's not safe out there alone. I thought he would have made it here by now.." her brows were knitted together with worry as she wondered if he hadn't even arrived yet. It had been days..
[html]
At the mention of a brother Conri wondered, for a very brief moment, if DaVinci had turned up once more. That would've been a sight to see, really, all of them turning up and coming together again. In a way Conri wondered if that would make Naniko happy, to have all of her family back. Even so, he still couldn't help fearing that she would be so wrapped up in having them back that she might push him aside. She had Conri around for the majority of her life while her family had been missing, a sporadic sort of thing. Whatever the case, Iskata's next words pushed away the thoughts that it might be DaVinci that she was speaking of. He'd almost forgotten that she had other siblings now.

In silence Conri shook his head, frowning just a bit before speaking up. "No one new has been around here since we came together." Actually, more people had left rather than joined up. "It's just a scattered few of us and a couple pups. If he does show up though, I can make sure someone finds you and lets you know." There was no question that he would be welcomed, he was Naniko's brother after all. It was bittersweet in a way, seeing all of this family and all of the close friends that were coming together with Naniko. All Conri had left was Naniko, his mother and two young siblings had long since disappeared.

[/html]
She frowned as he mentioned that Kansas hadn't been seen. She knew that Kansas really wasn't one to drag his feet when there was a reason for things, she just hoped that nothing had happened to him in the past days since they'd discussed finding a place to belong. She had hoped that he would have came back with her so that Ember and Kansas were together, but she didn't mind if he wanted to be near his sister, Naniko was one of the most levelheaded wolves that Iskata knew, she'd always been calm and caring. Iskata had been so absorbed in her thoughts on Kansas and his slow response in finding a home that she hadn't realized that Conri had spoken again she almost hadn't heard what he said, her look a little confused when he finished his words.

"What?.." she has blurted out before she actually heard the words. "Oh.. thank you Conri.." she said, slightly disappointed that her son hadn't arrived yet, but thankful that Conri would keep an eye out for him. She smiled again as she realized that Conri had spoken of the pups before, "How are my grand babes doing? I hear they can be a handful.." her eyes twinkled as she thought of Dierdre's children, though there was sadness too as she remembered that the girl hadn't made it just like her son Icarus hadn't. Everything seemed a bit bittersweet nowadays.
[html]
"They've been doing well." He answered, shrugging off the suddenly and slightly surprised 'What?' that she had spoken. In all honestly, he understood. The fact was, Conri had really only seen the pups from afar, not ever really taking the time to interact with them much. They had so many people watching over them that he was afraid jumping into it would crowd them and, really, he wasn't certain if he was over the fact that his own young siblings had gone missing. "They've got a lot of good wolves watching over them and teaching them, there isn't a doubt in my mind that they'll grow up to be wonderful." Skilled, smart, caring, all of the things that each of them could instill into the young ones. And what did Conri have to offer? With only one arm there was very little that he could do well anymore.

Slightly dejected at that fact, Conri hung his head a bit, staring down at his own two feet through jade eyes. "Is everything going well at Labyrinth Glen?" He asked then, it had been some time since his visit over there. "With Inferni around still, I'm halfway surprised that they haven't tried to take advantage of the small numbers that everyone seems to have." It was his complete lack of faith in Inferni showing through at it's fullest. It was one of his downfalls really, just how much he hated those coyotes.

[/html]
The silver and gold lady had been so lost in her own thoughts she hadn't realized the life changing wound that Conri had received since the last time she'd seen him, when he spoke of the children she let it slide, noticing the dejected way he seemed to act. She gazed at the young man as he spoke of everyone's help raising the small ones, noticing how he kept his eyes on the floorboards of the porch. She wanted to ask him how it had happened, wondering why Naniko hadn't spoken of it, but then again.. she had no real idea of Naniko's private life.

Flicking her tail back and forth in the dust she was about to speak up when he questioned her about her own pack. "The pack is doing fine, though you are right to worry about Inferni, though they didn't start it this time.. " If only she had known they hadn't started it with Clouded Tears, that only the war with Conri's old pack was the one they'd started. She shook her head and sighed as she looked down at her own paws. "A wolf killed a mother and child from the clan in cold blood.." the words were bitter, but then again she had reason for the bitterness. She had been spending too much time worrying about her brother's child who seemed to be haunted by his own deamons, and too much time worrying about family and friends because of said nephew.

She placed a paw on the bottom plank of the porch as she gazed up at Conri, her voice soft as she spoke, "What happen Conri..." She nodded towards his arm as she raised her eyes to meet his, a look of concern masked her face as she waited patiently. She knew what had happened to his pack, but she'd thought he'd been in Clouded Tears at the time.. she didn't think it was the aftermath of the second war.
[html]
Her words hit his ears and he lifted his head then, searching her face for a brief moment before they fell again. A mother and child killed in cold blood. The words echoed in his head, from quiet to suddenly screeching. They had gone into Aremys for blood. They had killed children, Kaena herself had. Even though he knew it was wrong, even though it was something that he would have never done, Conri couldn't help but feel like they deserved it. Maybe the mother and child that were killed hadn't deserved it, but Inferni itself certainly did. He wanted nothing more than to skin the woman, Kaena, and hang her fur for all to see. She was long gone though, Conri knew this, but the hate he harbored for her and her kin would likely never leave him. All he could do was give a slow shake of his head at her words.

She moved then, bringing herself closer by putting on a paw on the stairs, which brought his eyes up once more. Iskata questioned him then, she didn't even have to make a motion for him to know what she was asking. The young Leader furrowed his brow slightly and sighed, bringing his hand over to touch the spot where his arm once was. The fur was finally starting to come back, at least where it would, and the scar was not a horrible looking as it had been before. "I always thought my father was some amazing adventurer and that was why he was never around much. Shortly after Inferni took the old Syemv lands I went to visit my mother to make sure she was safe. SHe made it through the attack just fine, but my father had found her, beaten and raped her." He paused a moment, voice threatening to break.

"I went to the house to find him, I guess I just wanted to know why. Why he lied to me all my life...why he did that to her. I don't really remember what happened exactly, I sort of do, but he ended up dead. It was an accident, I think." Though the events that had taken place in the house really were just accidents, Conri had never been sure whether he actually intended to kill his father or not. "He had another son, by someone else, that I didn't know about. He found me and attacked me, kidnapped me. I managed to get away from him after a few months but not before I lost my arm. He took it." That was all he could manage, not even Naniko had been privy to the details. Not yet, anyways.
[/html]
The words that Conri spoke were troubled and sad, Iskata was shocked to hear the things that had happened to him and to his family. When he spoke of the events that lead to his father's death she frowned, her eyes flashed with anger at the moment when he paused, the emotional strain in his oice obvious. When she spoke up her words were bitter. "Don't blame yourself Conri, he deserved what he got.. you know.. Laruku killed DaVinci's father.. for the same reasons you sought out your father. It was an accident, don't try and convince yourself otherwise." by the time the words faded away her voice had grown softer. She understood that Conri hadn't wanted his father to die, that was obvious, but what had happen was over and done, there was no going back. The words she'd shared of DaVinci's own father was something she wasn't even sure Naniko knew yet. "DaVinci was there when Laruku did it.." She wasn't for certain if that was part of the reason her son was the way he was, but she knew it was a possiblity.

When he had spoken of his own half brother and the deeds he'd done Iskata shook her head sadly. Now she knew why he looked so downtrodden. Smiling at him she spoke up. "You know Naniko doesn't care what you look like, you're the one who stole her heart and she doesn't seem to have any room for anyone but you." The silver and gold lady knew her daughter still cared for her family, but everytime she opened her maw it was Conri she spoke of, it always had been. "You're always on her mind, and believe me, it's uncommon if your name doesn't end up in the conversation, it's been thatway since she first met you." She wished that she could undo the bad in both their lives, but she couldn't.. she hoped atleast that they could hold onto the love they had and keep it strong, someone deserved their own happiness.
[html]
Despite all that he had learned about his father and the things that he had done, Conri still didn't think that he deserved to die. He'd never really thought that about anyone, and would have spoken up about it had it not been for the words about Laruku that she had spoken. Those words alone caused his breath to catch in his throat, mind running rampant as they repeated in his head. Had that been why Laruku was so understanding when he found out what had happened? Was that why his once-Alpha had tried to reassure him and talk a little sense in to him about getting his life on track? It was a lot to hear, a lot to take in despite it being very few words, and even though it was all mostly in the past, Conri could still hardly believe it. He hadn't ever known.

After a few moments the shock of the words wore off and she was about halfway through her next set of words before they really clicked in his head. He gave her a slow nod, though the slight frown that had taken over his features didn't go away so easily. "I know." He confirmed quietly and, while it was something that he certainly should have been thrilled about, he was, but that was not his worry. "But now I can't do as much for her as I could before. I can hardly hunt, hardly.. be with her.." He imagined Iskata would understand what he was implying. "And I'm afraid that I won't be able to protect her if I ever need to.."

[/html]
She gave Conri a soft smile as he spoke of his fears and selfdoubts. The quiet boy she once knew seemed so helpless and lost, like he didn't fit right in his own skin. Her eyes softened as his words seemed to flow so freely. Iskata shook her head sadly as her blue eyes gazed at the alpha of Twilight Vale. "Conri.. don't give up before you even try... It might be harder for you than others but that will make you better than the rest in the end.. Just be patient in everything you do and with time... and practice... you'll be everything and more she's ever wanted." She leaned forward and nuzzled her muzzle against Conri's cheek softly trying to give the young man some encouragement. She knew life would never exactly be easy for him but she could see in his devotion to Naniko that if he took the whole of his life in the same manner he'd have nothing to worry about.

She leaned back and watched Conri, wondering why he seemed so downcast on himself. She could understand for the most part, but he had a whole pack that looked up to him. She'd never had anyone who ever really had looked up to her like that except her children, and that was understandable, but to have everyone look up to you for guidance and leadership, that was something she figured she'd never experience. Settling back on her haunches she stared up at the young alpha and smiled. "That part's simple Conri, just learn to use your weaknesses. Practice sparring and fighting in all forms. Like everything else in time and with patience you'll fit better in your skin... and if you let others think what they see is what they get.. they'll never know what hit them." Her eyes danced as she spoke, she'd known a wolf once long ago who'd lived with only three limbs and they'd still had a full life. "Just be yourself Conri, it's all she can ask of you.." she already knew no matter what he did he'd always be perfect in her daughter's eyes.. he just had to convince himself.