Chasing Pavements
[html]

Word Count: 541

Pixie smiled, a little surprised at how proud Denali declared that his mother had gotten him the coat. “That was nice of her.” She never talked about her own mom like that, not with her mother being her polar opposite and impossible to get along with. But Savina did seem like a much better mother and all-around person than Wildflower, so it wasn’t too much of a shock that Denali would think that fondly of her. “Do you mean the city up the coast from here? I think I passed by there when I first arrived at Souls, but I’ve never actually been there.” Maybe when the weather wasn’t so bad, she could go into the city and see if there were any tailors or cobblers there. She really needed a new cloak and a pair of boots.

“S’alright if you can’t remember,” she reassured him. “I can’t remember mine a lot of the time. But sometimes that’s not a bad thing, especially if you’ve had nightmares.” Unfortunately, nightmares were often the only ones she could remember. Like the one she had had a few nights ago with the bear attacking her. And, of course, the always recurring snowstorm dream. Now that was a nightmare, and it didn’t make her any more comfortable out here in the cold. She wrapped her cloak even tighter around her body and hid her nose in the scratchy fabric, wishing she was some sort of turtle that could simply stick its head in its shell and be rid of the sight of the snow.

Despite her bitterness towards the weather, she couldn’t help but chuckle when Denali almost ran into her because he was distracted by Magic. “He’s a beautiful animal, isn’t he? Too bad it’s snowing, you should see his coat shine in the sun.” Then she nodded towards the tree stump, indicating that he should stand on it. “You’ll be able to get up on him easier from a higher position. Often I have to climb on a stump or rock to get up on him.” But at least having short legs was easier than having long legs when it came to gripping the sides of the horse properly.

Leading the chestnut stallion to the right of the stump, she made sure that he was close enough so it would be easy for Denali get on. “So what you’ll need to do,” she directed the young wolf further, “is grab onto his mane with your left hand and place your right hand on his back, about where his shoulders are. That way you’ll have more of a grip to pull you up—just don’t put to much pressure on his back with your right hand. Then lift the leg closer to him—your right leg—and lift it over his back, and then lift the rest of your body up with your hands. I’ll give you a boost, too, since this is your first time getting up.” She would have to use only one hand to boost him up, though, just in case Magic decided to be uncooperative and she would need a free hand to control him. Luckily the horse had met Denali before and was now pretty good about staying still.

<style type="text/css">
.pixiehorse1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#B5A99D; letter-spacing:.0px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #211511; }
.pixiehorse1-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right; }
.pixiehorse1 p {text-indent:5px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.pixiehorse1 {margin:0 auto; width:455px; background-color:#1D4C7B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... ehorse.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0B0301; padding: 10px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#09243F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread