Chasing Pavements
[html]
Meant to make this earlier, but the day back from break translates to “Piles upon Piles of Homework Day.” Word Count: 409

Snow fell lightly around Haven Manor, blanketing its roof and the fence surrounding it the center home of Crimson Dreams. It was everywhere—in the air, on the ground, among the branches of the naked trees, even showing Anu’s plants no mercy from the cold. If it hadn’t been for the overhang over it, the porch would be covered by a blanket of white. To the right sort of eye, the snow and winter air cast a certain beauty on the manor; in fact, it made it look like the type of frost-covered house seen in Christmas cards.

Not that Pixie Frost knew anything about Christmas cards. All she thought as she stared back the scene was snow, bad riding weather, sleet, bad riding weather, cold, and bad riding weather. Even her thick fur and thin cloak couldn’t completely keep out the freezing temperatures from hitting her skin. Blinking the falling snow out of her violet eyes, she turned away from the manor, where she had just stepped out of this early morning, and trudged through the snow towards Magic, whom she had tied to a tree near the house the night before so he wouldn’t wonder off. Her feet made faint crunching sounds as she trudged through the layer of frost in front of Haven Manor.

She had agreed to meet Denali today, though exactly when the young wolf would wake up, she was not sure. All she knew was that the weather wasn’t likely to get much better than today, and she had promised to give Denali a ride once he learned how to shift. If he still had the wish of learning how to ride and play guitar at the same time, he would first have to learn to be around both the animal and the instrument. For all she knew, he might not even be interested in either skill anymore; she had been impulsive and spontaneous when she was Denali’s age, and she figured he wasn’t much different, given how confident he had seemed when he proclaimed to become more advanced than Pixie was in horsemanship and music.

Well, he hadn’t outright proclaimed he would be better than her. Frankly, she didn’t mind if he did become a better rider, or Skye became a better musician. It was too early to tell—Denali hadn’t even gotten on the damn horse. She reminded herself that there was no need to think that far into the future.

<style type="text/css">
.pixiesnow2 .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:13px; padding:8px; color:#88878d}
.pixiesnow2 .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:13px; padding:8px; color:#625155}
.pixiesnow2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#cfc0b5; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.pixiesnow2 {margin:0 auto; width:476px; background-color:#121118; background-image:url(http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6396/pixietop2.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 230px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: times new roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 323 (3 Points) OOC: Erf

Denali was warm snug and nestled in the furpile of his brother and sisters, happily dreaming of green grass and warm days, though something had caught his eye, and they flew open. Oh no, it was today that he and Pixie decided to meet! He struggled out of the pile of pups, knowing they wouldn’t wake up even for the less added warmth and found his clothing items, the coat his mom had found, and the scarf she made for him, he had even found a pair of loose fitting pants, though they were ragged and old, but they kept him warm. His fur underneath would help insulate the heat. It was a perfect system for the boy who absolutely hated the cold. He ran out of the room, but as he was halfway down the stairs his feet slipped and he tumbled rump first down them… Now his butt ached as he got up, trying not to dally on his injury. Upon opening the door he was instantly hit by the bitter cold of the winter, and then the snow was coming, oh did he not like this time of year what so ever. Hopping down the steps he easily spotted Pixie and her horse, he smiled, though it couldn’t be seen from his scarf, and he waved.

Hi! Oh I had a crazy dream, I think your horse found its way in it.

He said. He knew why he woke up so suddenly now, he’d seen the horse and actually remembered today was the day he was to learn to ride… though… looking around at the conditions now… that was a daunting prospect. He looked at the horse, though as surefooted it was, this was to be a challenge for him… and at that thought he knew he wouldn’t back down. Denali loved challenges, and he wasn’t about to stop now because of a bunch of snow. Or even the cold.

<style type="text/css">
.denalimountain b {font-weight:bold; color:#BAAEF3; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.denalimountain-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.denalimountain p {text-indent:5px; padding:5px 8px; margin:0px;}
.denalimountain {margin:0 auto; width:406px; background-color:#050D15; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... untain.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #F9CEE1; padding: 210px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#2B5CB8; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Daw, I can just imagine Denali in his coat and scarf ^__^ Word Count: 353

Pixie grinned and waved back at the pup. As he hopped down the steps, she was slightly jealous of his clothing, which looked much warmer than her raggedy old cloak that was made from a scratchy blanket. “Hey, Denali,” she greeted him. “Nice coat, where’d ya get it?” Hopefully, whoever or wherever he got it from would have more in her size. She was tired of being cold and being forced to stay inside. At least Magic had seemed to brave the night just fine; with any luck, Ehno would be finished with that stable soon and the stallion wouldn’t have to be unprotected from the snow much longer.

He did?” the blue-gray rider chuckled lightly. “What happened in your dream?” She hadn’t had very good dreams as of late—she didn’t dream much at all, and when she did they were usually nightmares that played over and over again—but maybe Denali had better luck. “The weather isn’t the best I would have hoped for,” she remarked, “but I don’t think it’s going to get that much warmer any time soon. So we might as well begin.” They probably weren’t going to be riding much today anyways; today was all about getting Denali used to being up on a horse and learning how to grab on with his legs.

Here, come this way,” she directed him, pointing towards a tree stump that she could make out through the light snowfall. It was about fifty yards away from the manor and barely more than the silhouette could be seen, but it was still clearly a tree stump. “First things first—you need to learn how to actually get up on a horse.” Making a short clicking sound that she used to tell Magic to follow her, she began trudging through the snow towards the stump. Looking back every now and then to make sure she could still see Denali, she growled softly as she felt her feet sink to her ankles in the snow. The stallion seemed less bothered by the cold and stayed at her side with no visible or audible complaints.

<style>
.pixie-o10 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.pixie-o10 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.pixie-o10 b {color:#D0E0F5; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.pixie-o10 {background-color:#6E7277; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010dec/pixie.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#181A1C; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:245px 0px 10px 0px; }
.pixie-o10-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

+3

Denali smiled as Pixie saw him, and she commented on his coat. He was so proud of it, because it was so nice, though it was old yes… it was better than nothing, though he was still not a picky pup. He would love anything that his mother game him, because then he knew that she cared enough for him.

MY mom got it for me! She got it in the city. She even made me my scarf!

He stated happily. He didn’t know much about the city, but he knew that it was frequented quite a bit… he’d even visited it once with Artemis. They found toys and not clothes though. That was ok with him because he’d come home with a really awesome toy, and so did Artemis. They shared the toys of course and now that he had hands he was able to play with them properly. When he was asked what happened in his dreams he tried to bring the memory back up but it seemed to slip away from his mind like water going through his fingers.

Awww I can’ remember,

Denali pouted. He listened as she spoke about the weather… she wasn’t kidding there, it was nasty out today, and he hoped that the lesson would be quick, though he was excited to get up on the horse now that he had his Luperci limbs. He just didn’t like the cold one bit. He followed her to the tree stump the horse next to him. He was awed at the way the animal moved, and he almost ran into Pixie as he was paying too much attention to the horse. He looked at the tree stump and then Pixie wondering why they had to come here… in more of an open area… where it was getting even colder .

<style type="text/css">
.denalimountain-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.denalimountain {margin:0 auto; width:406px; background-color:#050D15; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... untain.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #F9CEE1; padding: 210px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#2B5CB8; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Erin

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 541

Pixie smiled, a little surprised at how proud Denali declared that his mother had gotten him the coat. “That was nice of her.” She never talked about her own mom like that, not with her mother being her polar opposite and impossible to get along with. But Savina did seem like a much better mother and all-around person than Wildflower, so it wasn’t too much of a shock that Denali would think that fondly of her. “Do you mean the city up the coast from here? I think I passed by there when I first arrived at Souls, but I’ve never actually been there.” Maybe when the weather wasn’t so bad, she could go into the city and see if there were any tailors or cobblers there. She really needed a new cloak and a pair of boots.

“S’alright if you can’t remember,” she reassured him. “I can’t remember mine a lot of the time. But sometimes that’s not a bad thing, especially if you’ve had nightmares.” Unfortunately, nightmares were often the only ones she could remember. Like the one she had had a few nights ago with the bear attacking her. And, of course, the always recurring snowstorm dream. Now that was a nightmare, and it didn’t make her any more comfortable out here in the cold. She wrapped her cloak even tighter around her body and hid her nose in the scratchy fabric, wishing she was some sort of turtle that could simply stick its head in its shell and be rid of the sight of the snow.

Despite her bitterness towards the weather, she couldn’t help but chuckle when Denali almost ran into her because he was distracted by Magic. “He’s a beautiful animal, isn’t he? Too bad it’s snowing, you should see his coat shine in the sun.” Then she nodded towards the tree stump, indicating that he should stand on it. “You’ll be able to get up on him easier from a higher position. Often I have to climb on a stump or rock to get up on him.” But at least having short legs was easier than having long legs when it came to gripping the sides of the horse properly.

Leading the chestnut stallion to the right of the stump, she made sure that he was close enough so it would be easy for Denali get on. “So what you’ll need to do,” she directed the young wolf further, “is grab onto his mane with your left hand and place your right hand on his back, about where his shoulders are. That way you’ll have more of a grip to pull you up—just don’t put to much pressure on his back with your right hand. Then lift the leg closer to him—your right leg—and lift it over his back, and then lift the rest of your body up with your hands. I’ll give you a boost, too, since this is your first time getting up.” She would have to use only one hand to boost him up, though, just in case Magic decided to be uncooperative and she would need a free hand to control him. Luckily the horse had met Denali before and was now pretty good about staying still.

<style type="text/css">
.pixiehorse1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#B5A99D; letter-spacing:.0px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #211511; }
.pixiehorse1-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right; }
.pixiehorse1 p {text-indent:5px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.pixiehorse1 {margin:0 auto; width:455px; background-color:#1D4C7B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... ehorse.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0B0301; padding: 10px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#09243F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+3

Denali shrugged at her question. He knew very little of the lands outside of Crimson Dreams. Now if it was about something inside them, then he’d be able to help her.

I remember all my nightmares… they are scary.

He said, most of his dreams consisted of him being alone and all of his family turning back on him, because of his experience with the coyote and his old mom and dad not coming back for him. Those dreams were rare for him now that he knew his mom here would never ever leave without him. And if he went away he knew that she would come to find him. That was his conclusion to the fact that he was having less and less bad dreams

He is pretty in the sun or out of it, I don’t think he is not pretty at all.

He said in a statement that honestly had no need for words. He listened to her instructions as they headed towards their destination. He nodded his ears fully on her listening as they moved to the dark stump in the bright snow. He stepped up on it once She positioned the horse to be climbed on from the stump. He did as he was told and held onto some of his mane. He tried jumping but he didn’t use his arms to pull up and he found he didn’t get very far that way. Embarrassed he tried again. This time he pulled up with his hands and he felt the woman’s helpful boost as he got his leg clumsily around the large beast.

Wow!! I am high up! This is great!

He said with enthusiasm. Oh this was perfect for him, he loved it. Getting down? Never! He would be on this horse for the rest of his life… or so he thought!

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Erin

[/html]
[html]
Word Count: 362

Denali’s shrug didn’t help much in finding out more about this city to the north that had human clothing, but despite her slight annoyance at that, she nodded in agreement to what he said about nightmares. They were scary, very scary sometimes, and definitely hard to forget, especially when they seemed freakishly similar to real life, which was what Pixie’s own nightmares were like most of the time. She was amazed and grateful that she wasn’t plagued by those sorts of nightmares every night, or any type of dream at all; she would rather have a dreamless night than one filled with her fears and demons.

“Yes, he is always pretty,” she said, smiling. “Or handsome, I guess would make more sense.” If she were fonder of snow, she might find Magic to have a certain beauty to him even now, with snowflakes covering his chestnut fur; she brushed off the snow on his back so Denali wouldn’t be sitting in frost when he climbed up on the horse. On his first try getting up, he didn’t use his arms and remained on the stump, but Pixie didn’t expect him to get it on his first try. On his second try, she gave him more of a boost, and this time he managed to sit properly on the horse’s back. “Nice job. It’s a little difficult climbing up at first, but with some practice, you’ll get the hang of it.”

She laughed at his excitement at being so high up, and she let him enjoy the view—what little there was in all this snow—before stepping up on the tree stump herself. “Here, I need to get on, too. Slide back a little ways.” Once she had room, she pulled herself up in front of Denali. “Since this is your first time, we’ll only take a short ride, and I’ll steer him. But I want you to practice keeping your balance and gripping on with your legs. You can hold onto me if you feel like you’re falling off, of course, but it’s best to start getting used to the feeling of being up on a horse as quickly as possible.”

<style type="text/css">
.pixiedark .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:13px; padding:8px; color:#000000}
.pixiedark .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:13px; padding:8px; color:#0b172b}
.pixiedark b {font-weight:bold; color:#456054; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.pixiedark {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#2b3c43; background-image:url(http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7318/pixietop.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 230px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: times new roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 129 OOC: any way we can oocly wrap this up? I’m losing that muse that keeps me on him because he’s already gone XD

Denali couldn’t wait to start, his tail wagged and he looked at where they possibly would go, but then the female asked for him to schootch back and his face fell, he wanted to ride by himself… but he obediently moved back, how having a hard time seeing, having to look sideways to see anything at all. Well he was still on the horse!! That was the best part. He had to keep thinking positive!

I’m ready!

He didn’t care if they went a short way or a long way, he knew he wanted to ride this horse, though it would have been so much better if he could ride it without the large wolf sitting in front of him… how was he suppose to see anything?

<style type="text/css">
.denalichipmunk b {font-weight:bold; color:#F3F87F; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.denalichipmunk-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.denalichipmunk p {text-indent:10px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.denalichipmunk {margin:0 auto; width:407px; background-color:#2A3209; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... pmunkd.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4B5A36; padding: 10px 0px 190px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#93A53A; line-height:17px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Erin

[/html]
[html]

Poor Denali Sad But yeah, we can close it after this post. They basically just went on a short ride and Pixie gave him some pointers on keeping balance and such.

“I’m glad!” she replied, laughing at his enthusiasm. “Here we go.” With a few kicks of her heel, Magic started at a fast walk. Pixie tried her best to slow him down a little, not wanting to make Denali afraid of falling off on his first ride, though he didn’t seem all that afraid. Shifting her weight to one side of the horse and pressing the opposite leg to his side, she began to steer the stallion in a path through the snow around the manor. For today, going too far away from the warm building didn’t seem like a very good idea, and not something she’d want to do anyways.

“It won’t be long before you’ll be steering,” she told the young wolf. “Once you learn how to do it, riding a horse is a very freeing experience. Not all people find it that way—I know your uncle doesn’t like horses all that much—but you seem like someone who would.”

<style type="text/css">
.pixiehorse1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#B5A99D; letter-spacing:.0px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #211511; }
.pixiehorse1-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right; }
.pixiehorse1 p {text-indent:5px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.pixiehorse1 {margin:0 auto; width:455px; background-color:#1D4C7B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... ehorse.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0B0301; padding: 10px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#09243F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]