burn the land and boil the sea
[html]

Inferni. It was always Inferni. He knew there had been other conflicts in the past, but in all the years he had been around, it seemed like the coyotes were the only ones to repeatedly antagonize. The own war he had led had been entirely his fault, and he was lucky, perhaps, that he had only been against Segodi's reign. Kaena would have been a much more frightful enemy, and he imagined that Gabriel was just as bad, or even worse. It was strange to think that in another time, Laruku might have been considered the man's stepfather, but in their chaotic and strife-filled timeline, those sorts of crossovers in blood and relationships meant little to nothing. The only family he had in Inferni was Rachias, as far as he knew, and Arkham if he ever did make it out alive. And they, were they fighting against Conri in whatever conflict they were caught up in? He wasn't sure if the answer even mattered.

The tattered male could hear the hurt in the other's voice. Guilt was a funny thing. He knew couldn't go back, even if it came to this, even if it meant hurting Conri more now, because in the end, things would only worsen if he asserted himself. I heard you, he said, red eyes also turned towards the ocean. I knew you were okay. And that was the truth, though Laruku wasn't sure if would have done anything if he hadn't heard them. If the forest had remained silent in the days after the fire, he would have likely just blamed himself while simultaneously not looking for anyone. Hiding. Skirting responsibility like he always had, and somehow, he might have convinced himself that they had simply fled to a different area, and that they were fine and doing perfectly well, if not better, without him.

I should have died back there, he thought of telling the other, but he had dumped his personal woes on enough other people already. Conri had his own problems, clearly, so why overburden him with those buried tragedies? You've all grown up, the hybrid continued instead, You don't need me anymore. (They never needed you, darlin', they never did.)

[/html]

Messages In This Thread