Alligators in Canada
Forgive my misinterpretation of the map, I was not thinking correctly. You are right, there are no ports to hit along the route from Barbados to Freetown, but if one were to charter passage to Freetown from New Orleans, it would actually be considerably more concievalbe. True, it would not be easy to find a ship willing to make the full trip, but it would be possible to “leap frog” up the coast from one port to the other. I still believe that Elias would be able to find a ship willing to carry him at least halfway up the coast, and as for the nature of the merchant ships, I concede that regular merchant ships are not accommodated to carry livestock much less a full grown alligator. However, there are ships built for that very purpose, and as I stated before, it is reasonable to assume that many of the vessels passing through New Orleans would be accommodated to carrying such exotic creatures as alligators being located next to the equator.
As for why the alligator would not be targeted for attack, you have already answered that question yourself. An alligator is a big ass animal, with extremely tough skin, and while its average land speed may be slow it is more than capable of sprinting small distances. Also take into account that this alligator is a veteran at fighting other predators, and is accompanied by a wolf renowned for his skill with knives and who has a reputation for leaving trails of body wherever he goes. Now place this combat in the middle of the confined space of a ship and presto, you have one dead corpse and a very happy alligator with a meal.

Also, by stating that the alligator will attack other luperci simply for food you are assuming that it is a simpleminded beast. The alligator has already been exposed to luperci via Elias, and so will it may not be on good terms with luperci is certainly acclimated enough to not attack luperci on sight simply due to the fact that they are a separate species. It has also already discussed and given consent to Elias to arrange this voyage for it, so it knows what to expect and is going to be on its very best behavior. In terms of personal space, the alligator may very well get agitated if it is pestered frequently, but Elias is going to be dissuading others from approaching him. If Elias has prearranged the voyage he could have paid the captain to acquire provisions for the trip, are at the very least acquired such provisions in the port in advance. So it is not like you are sticking an alligator onto a ship with no food to feed it.

As for the caves of Anathema, the alligator is not going to constantly wander these tunnels. It is hibernating, and as such will remain in one spot for the entirety of the winter. Anyways, I am assuming if there is hot spring cavern within the caverns of Anathema, it will either be located separately from the normal caves, or will be in an area not normally used by the Anathema members.

Messages In This Thread