Alligators in Canada
I would suggest going with a younger alligator, which would not only be far easier to transport and feed, but also would be much easier to explain. Katie's idea, also, of having an alligator tied into the family's history would also be easier to explain, but more difficult to transport.
Personally, I would go with a baby alligator, but that's just because I am deeply in love with alligators and all reptiles, in general. Not only this, but it is much easier to feed, transport, explain, and then raise a baby alligator than feed, transport and explain an adult alligator.
While an adult can survive much longer without meals, the meals it's eating are also much larger. Baby alligators, as stated before, can subsist on small fish, tadpoles, insects, etc. It wouldn't be that difficult to see someone having a companion being an alligator, especially in Anathema or another pack with hot springs (AT being the only one I can think of at this time).
All in all, I would definitely say that an alligator as a companion would be a very cool idea, and I would recommend it to bring some uniqueness and 'flavor' into the game, but I would definitely consider what the SA said into your decision. However, given a choice, I would think a baby alligator. Not only would it be easier, but it would also acclimate to the climate in Canada and though it would be slower, more languid, etc., it would also be more likely to survive, excepting in extreme situations, such as the blizzard last year. However, I'm assuming that Elias cares about the alligator and would take measures to ensure it's survival in that case.

Messages In This Thread