In this cold I can see my breath.
[html]

wc 643.

It wasn't long after the last incantation of her howl echoed the final note that the dark silhouette appeared. No, not silhouette, for he was much closer than she thought and if she studied the form at all she could make out the features – but a dark man he was all the same. For a moment she would have been afraid, likening his dark appearance to that of the slug of a man who had attacked her, but she knew from description that Titania's man was supposed to be an ebony wolf, too. She brightened in the faintest way as a seed of hope settled in.

Nothing slowed the man's paces though, not even as he came within a close proximity to her. He stalked forward steadily as if he owned this earth, which was a pretty apt way of putting it, and didn't even stop when he was nearly right on top of her. At first she stood her ground – not defiantly so but welcoming of the man's presence in his own territory, knowing that she was the intruder (no, guest, guest would be much better) here. But he came closer than anybody ever has before when approaching one of these border callings, and eyes that were an exact match to the ones Zalen so often gazed in to widened in surprise.

She might have stepped back but there was rock at her heel, and she could not retreat without landing on her rump on the boulder behind her, so instead she stiffened and remained in place, his nose practically touching hers as he spoke. An eyelid fluttered as if in the slightest flinch. It had been so long since she was expected to follow primal protocol that the proper behavior didn't come to her as fully as it had many others, and her only saving grace now was Zalen's probable suspicions about who she was.

Then he spoke the name and she winced, the breath rushing out of her lungs as though he'd hit her. She was quiet far longer than she meant to be, Orin usually being a woman of many words, until she finally nodded warily and said, “Yes. And you smell of my daughter.” With that her eyes flicked up from his nose to look into the olive green of the man's stare. She wasn't challenging him; she was being pretty dumb though. At least her glassy golden eyes held the same molten lava as her daughter’s.

“She hasn't visited home since she left and I want to know why,” bold words spoken by the ivory pipsqueak to the hulking sable man. Then again, her gauge was all thrown off after months of living with Shawchert the Giant. Chatty Orin finally found her words again, her voice suddenly filling the silent void. “Mister, I don't know who you think you are, but I've taken a leap of faith letting her come out here with you-” yeah, never mind that that's not really how it happened, this was Orin talking “-and you can bet your tail that I didn't wanna let her. But I thought my daughter would have the smarts to pick a decent wolf at least, and if the next thing that comes out of your mouth has anything to do with forbidding my little girl from visiting her family in Cercatori d'Arte you're gonna suddenly wish you hadn't gauged me for just a little wolfess. I'll be all over you like white on rice! Well? What is it?” The threat was so preposterous that hopefully it would stun the man in itself so Orin wouldn't get herself shredded right there on the spot. Her pink tail twitched behind her, much like an annoyed cat. “I'm waiting.” Never mind that she hadn't given the man a chance to speak yet.

<style type="text/css">
.orintreeline-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.orintreeline b {font-weight:bold; color:#816f6f; letter-spacing:1px}
.orintreeline p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orintreeline {margin:0 auto; background-color:#e2e4f6; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/vpca54.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a09eb0; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:370px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread