In this cold I can see my breath.
[html]

wc 593.

The cloudy woman had kept a low profile amongst her pack ever since the day that she found out there was a snake in their midst. She still had yet to convince her Capitana of the Rhiannon man's guilt, her quest only made more difficult by the fact that he was married to a long time member and now councilwoman of d'Arte. Her strife even becoming twofold, for the Rhiannon was a council member himself! D'Arte had seen dark times, but none so despairing as now, and the worst part was that everyone walked around blind to their plight. She strove to make them understand but no one would listen, her reputation quickly becoming soiled beneath thoughts of the crazy Takekuro woman. Yep, Orin had finally lost it now; never quite there to begin with, now her daughter had left, Shawchert was gone, and for some reason she had sent Juliet off to another land. That's when they really started whispering, for everyone knew there was something wrong with Orin when she sent away her own child.

Or were they whispering? These convictions were nothing more than the machinations of a paranoid mind, befuddled by too many sleepless nights and too many days spent dodging her own shadow. Her pack might have thought something was wrong with her – no, not thought, but knew, for she made it no secret – but surely they were not calling her a lunatic yet...

Amber eyes, normally so bright and cheerful, were today half lidded and shadowed, clouded with trouble. Even this far from her home lands she was not comfortable. There was a devil there. She didn't feel like she was getting away from it, she felt like she was leaving her blind family exposed... But still, the trouble was coming to a head there, and when she appealed to her Capitana that Titania had promised to visit but had not come calling, her alpha gave her leave to seek her daughter out. Why would the girl not have come like she said she would? Orin didn't reason that the pack had turned out to be more work than she thought, even though she had been around for d'Arte's founding and understood the demands of an infant pack.

Her turbulent thoughts made the rocky leap from her pack to her daughter. What if Titania wasn't really here, in the north where she had told Shawchert she would be? What then? Those were thoughts the woman couldn't even consider and quickly banished from her mind as she climbed over the treacherous, icy rocks of the Halcyon ridges. This place would be much better traversed in her lupus form, but the stubborn woman stuck to foot and hand as she squatted and lowered herself between a narrow opening in the rocks. Her lupus form... that might make this too effortless... she needed something to keep the panic from taking over...

Was she there yet? She was sure of it. If not by the obvious lack of other large predator scat then by the clear scent of the pack's marked borders. Was this Titania's pack? The borders were marked with so many scents and then compiled of so much snow that she didn't even know she was certain. Somewhere, deep down, she knew her daughter's musk was there. But the fearful part of her kept the woman cynical, expecting disappointment... grief.

Her howl sang out, though the sound was dampened by the thick snowfall. Eyes scanned for the first sight of a whoever, or whatever was to come.

<style type="text/css">
.orintreeline-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.orintreeline b {font-weight:bold; color:#816f6f; letter-spacing:1px}
.orintreeline p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orintreeline {margin:0 auto; background-color:#e2e4f6; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/vpca54.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a09eb0; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:370px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

After greeting his mate and other pack-mates that morning Zalen had decided to go for a little run near the closest borders. It wasn’t so much of a scouting mission rather than an excuse to stretch his legs and be on his own. As much as he loved the camaraderie and family atmosphere of the pack-life, every wolf needed to get out to themselves every once in a while. Besides, Zalen was in need of a bath, and wanted some privacy for it. He wasn’t a timid or shy man, but shared bathing had its time and place and today Zalen had decided to do so alone. He made his way south to one of the lesser known streams that branched off from the one that meandered through the heart of the pack lands and to the sea. Here he would have privacy, and as he neared he shifted into his Optime form mid-walk, something he had been practicing as of late. It was difficult to maintain balance when ones legs suddenly became arms, but he managed without so much as a stumble.

Getting to the stream he peered about; the snow was melted here, but the cold ground was still wet from it. The stream was very small, not even large enough to make it to his thighs, but he waded in just the same and crouched down. He scooped water up in his paws and ran it over his face and through his mane. He picked out burrs and twigs and whatever other debris he could find attached to his body. Soon he was completely soaked, the icy water making him shiver slightly, but he was clean and he couldn’t complain. He stood then and shook, sending the water off in a halo and sticking his fur on end. It was then that he heard the call.

He was close to the borders, and therefore not far off from the caller. For some strange reason, he thought for a moment it was Titania howling, but the lilt was different. Either way, it caught his attention more quickly than it would have otherwise and Zalen quickly headed in that direction. It did not take him long to find the wolfess who had let out the howl. It was a white female with pink dreadlocks and he was immediately reminding of Panda’s hair. It had been a long time since he had seen the black and white wolfess from Anathema, and he had long decided that he would go visit her again someday, but today he was faced with this female.

He walked out towards her boldly, for she was on his territory. She looked tired, worn, and oddly familiar. She was also extremely beautiful, despite her strange and unnatural hair, Hello, you are in my territory. I heard your call, what is it you are looking for? He walked right up to her, what some might have taken as rude but for him was only natural. He smelled her then and recognized it immediately, You’re from Cercatori d’ Arte?... You smell of Shawchert. It was true, the scent did linger on her coat, and he wondered if this perhaps could be Titania’s mother, but did not ask just yet.

<style>
.zero-zalen p {padding:0px 10px 5px 10px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.zero-zalen b {color:#79B5AC; font-family: 'palatino linotype', serif; font-size:12px;}
.zero-zalen p b:before {content: open-quote;}
.zero-zalen p b:after {content: close-quote;}
.zero-zalen {font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#A1BBCE; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#294960; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/QSKhM.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:500px; border-radius:25px; -moz-border-radius:25px; -webkit-border-radius:25px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 643.

It wasn't long after the last incantation of her howl echoed the final note that the dark silhouette appeared. No, not silhouette, for he was much closer than she thought and if she studied the form at all she could make out the features – but a dark man he was all the same. For a moment she would have been afraid, likening his dark appearance to that of the slug of a man who had attacked her, but she knew from description that Titania's man was supposed to be an ebony wolf, too. She brightened in the faintest way as a seed of hope settled in.

Nothing slowed the man's paces though, not even as he came within a close proximity to her. He stalked forward steadily as if he owned this earth, which was a pretty apt way of putting it, and didn't even stop when he was nearly right on top of her. At first she stood her ground – not defiantly so but welcoming of the man's presence in his own territory, knowing that she was the intruder (no, guest, guest would be much better) here. But he came closer than anybody ever has before when approaching one of these border callings, and eyes that were an exact match to the ones Zalen so often gazed in to widened in surprise.

She might have stepped back but there was rock at her heel, and she could not retreat without landing on her rump on the boulder behind her, so instead she stiffened and remained in place, his nose practically touching hers as he spoke. An eyelid fluttered as if in the slightest flinch. It had been so long since she was expected to follow primal protocol that the proper behavior didn't come to her as fully as it had many others, and her only saving grace now was Zalen's probable suspicions about who she was.

Then he spoke the name and she winced, the breath rushing out of her lungs as though he'd hit her. She was quiet far longer than she meant to be, Orin usually being a woman of many words, until she finally nodded warily and said, “Yes. And you smell of my daughter.” With that her eyes flicked up from his nose to look into the olive green of the man's stare. She wasn't challenging him; she was being pretty dumb though. At least her glassy golden eyes held the same molten lava as her daughter’s.

“She hasn't visited home since she left and I want to know why,” bold words spoken by the ivory pipsqueak to the hulking sable man. Then again, her gauge was all thrown off after months of living with Shawchert the Giant. Chatty Orin finally found her words again, her voice suddenly filling the silent void. “Mister, I don't know who you think you are, but I've taken a leap of faith letting her come out here with you-” yeah, never mind that that's not really how it happened, this was Orin talking “-and you can bet your tail that I didn't wanna let her. But I thought my daughter would have the smarts to pick a decent wolf at least, and if the next thing that comes out of your mouth has anything to do with forbidding my little girl from visiting her family in Cercatori d'Arte you're gonna suddenly wish you hadn't gauged me for just a little wolfess. I'll be all over you like white on rice! Well? What is it?” The threat was so preposterous that hopefully it would stun the man in itself so Orin wouldn't get herself shredded right there on the spot. Her pink tail twitched behind her, much like an annoyed cat. “I'm waiting.” Never mind that she hadn't given the man a chance to speak yet.

<style type="text/css">
.orintreeline-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.orintreeline {margin:0 auto; background-color:#e2e4f6; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/vpca54.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a09eb0; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:370px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

She seemed to freeze up at his proximity but he did not move away. She was quite becoming, and her scent intrigued him. If this truly was Titania’s mother, then he finally knew where she had gotten her looks from, and despite himself Zalen could not help but to be attracted to her. It was not a sexual thing, but one of respect. It was true that New Dawn was lacking in females, and if she had come join them he would gladly accept her.

But then suddenly she spoke, coming out of her trance and she confirmed that she indeed with Titania’s mother. He relaxed and pulled back from her slightly in a small show of respect, Well met then, Orin. He said wagging his tail. She then asked why Titania had not come to visit Cercatori in the time of New Dawn’s foundation and Zalen was about to answer when Orin sent forth a wave of words upon.

He stood there, shocked, as she outwardly threatened him. He was torn between putting her down in that moment and making sure she knew who was in charge here, or cowering. He had once thought that Titania had gotten her fire from her father but it was obvious that that was not the case. While Titania seemed reserved in comparison to her mother, this strength and passion was something that was very familiar to Zalen.

After she was finished he just smiled softly at her and put a paw on her shoulder gently, Calm yourself Orin. Titania is well, and the only reason she had not visited is because she is tending to her duties here. She is a good leader, you should be proud.

Now that he had given her the soft answer, one that she as a human dwelling and weak Luperci could understand, he then turned to his roots. He stepped up to her, chest against hers, looking down upon her with erect ears and tail, Orin, I am glad to welcome you to New Dawn so you may see your daughter, but do not cross me in such a way again. He lifted his lips them, showing sharp white teeth and giving her a small growl. He did not mean to threaten her, only to show that he was boss and that she should respect him with no shame.

<style>
.zero-zalen b {color:#79B5AC; font-family: 'palatino linotype', serif; font-size:12px;}
.zero-zalen {font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#A1BBCE; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#294960; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/QSKhM.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:500px; border-radius:25px; -moz-border-radius:25px; -webkit-border-radius:25px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 449

Despite the motherly ire that spewed forth from the colorful woman, Zalen’s reaction - once the shock abated - was calm and thought through. A single, large paw of a hand set upon her shoulder accompanied by a captivating gaze that she could not look away from, and then gentle, assuring words to promise her that her daughter was safe and more than well. She was quiet for a moment, looking at him with an expression that lay somewhere between infatuation and disbelief, and then he stepped up to her, white and black fur mingled as he pressed against her chest to breast.

She glanced down for a second, but when her eyes flicked back up she didn’t look for those olive gems again. Despite her domineering, tide like emotions that lent her the ability to say whatever was on her mind no matter how rash, she was still a very pack oriented wolf and by no means one that craved leadership. Orin’s natural place was within a pack, not at the head, so when Zalen pulled rank, Orin succumbed. Had Skye been here his power would have held no clout and she would have acted as an envoy of her pack, but because she and her own alpha were separated by leagues the sway of the man affected her as with any proper wolf.

That... and it was a pretty good idea not to get dead. After all, that would put Titania in a pretty awkward place, and she didn’t want to be the cause of any bumps in their relationship. Sure, never mind that Zalen would own her sorry ass in a fight.

Her ears twisted back obediently and the tail promptly stopped its twitching and played dead between her legs. A second later she fell back (intentionally) so her butt was now sitting on the snowy stone behind her. She looked up at Zalen. “My apologies, good sir,” now she was proper ‘medieval lady’ Orin. She folded her hands in her lap, the picture of obedience. “I shouldn’t have gone off on you. Everything’s just been going all wrong for months.” She sighed and dropped her head into her hands. She shouldn’t be baring her soul to the alpha of another pack. What did he care about her concerns? But she felt like she was barely stitched together with only the finest of threads right now, and if she kept anything else inside she knew her stitches would soon burst.

“I miss my daughter. Shawchert left. There’s a murdered in d’Arte and no one believes me! And I think I’ve fallen for a man in another pack.” There was a sniffle. Yep, the woman was crying.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

He had intimidated her in some fashion this time, it was obvious by her reaction. She immediately submitted, lowered tail and ears and then even went as far as to sit back in the snow. But then suddenly, she became emotional and Zalen’s ears flicked back in surprise and empathy. She spoke about a murderer in her pack, how no one would listen to her, how Shawchert had abandoned her, and how she missed Titania. Zalen whined and knelt beside her, putting a hand on her shoulder as she began crying. Zalen always had a heart for those in emotional pain, for there had been many times where he himself had needed a shoulder to cry on where there had been none. But what she had said disturbed him, especially about the murderer. Though Cercatori d’Arte was far off, the prospect of any killer canine did not bode well for any of them. What also worried him was the disappearance of Shawchert, whom in Zalen’s opinion, did not seem the sort of man to abandon his family.

Another thing that she mentioned was that she had fallen for another man, bringing into question if Orin and Shawchert were truly mates to begin with. He couldn’t remember Titania ever confirming this, but he had assumed it to be true. But now Shawchert was gone and Orin was in love with someone else; it always pained Zalen to see families split apart. He hadn’t had the chance to grow up with his mother by his side, and now he felt guilty for depriving Orin of Titania’s presence; was he no better than the coyotes who had killed his mother? The thought caused a pain inside him that was unbearable.

Because of this sadness, Zalen then did something he normally would not have done with someone he had just met, but he wrapped his large ebony arms around the white woman in a gentle embrace. He held her for a moment before speaking, You could stay here you know, we would accept you into New Dawn without any hesitation. He looked down into her face, somehow doubting that she would leave Cercatori, but it was worth a shot. It would nice to have Orin as a member, though he wasn’t sure how Titania would feel about it, for she had been so adamant to get away from her family in the first place, feeling that they treated her like a child.

Sighing then he released her, What do you mean there is a murderer in Cercatori? Should I be worried for my pack? And where is this lover of yours that you cannot be with him? He genuinely wanted to know, so that if there was anything he could do for her he would. He remembered when he had first fallen for Titania, how the distance had been like torture. It was a pain that he would never want afflicted upon anyone. Though love was a beautiful thing, it could also be the most vicious monster, tearing hearts asunder and leaving lovers bleeding.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 773

An ear flicked as Zalen knelt beside her, aware of the movement, but she did not shift to pull away from him. Instead she remained still with her face hidden in her small white hands until she felt his arms move around her. Some would probably be frightened being hugged by someone they didn’t know, someone who could overpower them physically and mentally, but there was no fear in Orin in that moment. It was like Zalen had some strange, soothing power. Perhaps it was because, by nature, he was an Alpha wolf and she was forever born to serve; this was her place in life and Orin never questioned it. Or maybe it was because her beloved daughter trusted the man, and so far he had not hurt her. Or perhaps it was just his closeness to Titania, and how much he smelled like her that soothed her. It could have been any of these reasons, or it could have been something more, something inexplicable.

Whatever the case, Orin melted within his arms. Each muscle in her back and shoulders that had been so tense she thought they might pulverize her very bones finally eased. If only for this brief moment there was finally something there to protect her, so she might be enshrouded in safety for one minute. She softened and leaned into him, her raspy breaths calming. When he found words it was an offer of solace. She was quiet for a minute, and then sat up and looked into his face.

“Thank you,” she said, truly grateful. “That’s a kind offer, but I’m sure you’ll understand when I say I can’t leave my pack. Not when they need me so badly... even if they don’t know it.” She shook her head, exchanging a look with Zalen. She looked at her fingers as she wrung them together.

“Lover… He’s not a lover…” she shook her head slowly, but she wasn’t offended by the assumption. “I ended the engagement with Shawchert. Titania doesn’t know yet… This man… he’s a friend I’ve known for a long time. One of my first friends when Niro and I first came north. His name is Mars. We used to live in the Court together, and later he followed me to d’Arte, but now he lives with the Dreamers. There’s just… something about him… I don’t know. We don’t even always get along. It’s funny…” She trailed off, uncertain about what she was telling him. Never did she question why she was telling the man who was essentially a stranger so many intimate details.

“Yes, you should be worried!” Frightened eyes darted back to his countenance, imploring him to heed her words. “Back in December, only a little while after Titania left, a boy killed a puppy. She was the adopted daughter of our healer and friend, Sky Katruk… well, now she’s Sky Rhiannon. She’s my friend… she was there for me when I found out I was pregnant with the girls-” a quick smile flashed “-and she took care of me all throughout the pregnancy. This boy – Liam is his name – this boy killed the child in the most vile way. When we found them she was… in… pieces.” Much of the emotion drained from her voice. She was growing used to trying to detach while retelling the story, it was the only way she could cope with it. There was a short pause, and then she continued, “nearly the whole pack arrived on scene, but instead of giving the bastard what he deserved they let him go. He should have been executed.”[/b]

Her voice lowered and her eyes darkened with mournful shadow. “You should be warned. We don’t know where he is. Someone who killed a puppy is out there now, and for all we know he came this way. I… I understand why Skye gave the order to free him though.

She had to, if you had seen his father’s face... she thought she was saving her pack member as he begged for his son’s life. It took an act of compassion to spare Liam and save Taliesin like that… it’s… hard to explain…” She choked on a word, then tried again. “But it was for nothing! Skye’s strength was all in vain! She should have killed him! It was just an act… Taliesin’s desperation… because he’s in league with Liam… his son. They’re the spawn of… of the devil!” It was hard to tell if she was being literal or figurative, but the strength in her voice seemed to indicate that this ‘devil’ was not in fact a figment of her imagination.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

It was good to feel that she relaxed into him rather than tensing up more than she had been. It showed that she trusted him, even though she had only met him. But this was not something new to Zalen, he had always had a gift with strangers, one that allowed him to understand them and they to trust him, even with no reason too. It seemed in this situation the gift was a blessing rather than a curse, for Orin was in desperate need for someone to heed her words. When she pulled away from him though she reacted to his offer just as he had been expecting, that she could and would not leave her back now, in the darkest of times. He smiled and nodded gently, Of course, but you should know that you will always have a place here, as long as I and Titania rule.

She then continued to let on about the man she had fallen for, and Zalen listened with interest. What she said cleared up his confusion about Orin and Shawchert’s mate-ship; there had been none. It seemed as if they were “engaged” to become mates, but that Orin had broken it off. Though Zalen could only imagine how this must have heart Shawchert, he understood it to be the best for the both of them. If Orin were to enter into mate-ship with a man she did not truly love, then only disaster could come from. But the way she spoke about this man, Mars, made it seem that it was unrequited love, and that Mars himself did not know hot Orin pined for him. This only helped to solidify more Zalen’s dislike all the human-like Luperci; they made everything, even the simplest of relationships, so much more difficult with their dramatic and secretive ways. When Zalen had known he loved Titania, he had claimed her outright, no silly courtship or engagements; he knew they were perfect for each other and there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

Then the conversation turned dark as Orin retold the horrors that had recently happened at Ceractori. Zalen could not help but to gape at her as she recounted how a male wolf named Liam had a slain and torn asunder a pup in cold blood, and that how upon the plea of his father he was allowed to live and escape. But now it seemed that the father had been in cahoots with his son the whole time, and that he had now taken on the leader of Cercatori as a mate. No, this was not good, not good at all. Now Cercatori was corrupt, not to be trusted, and to be avoided. This brought great worry into Zalen’s heart, for he knew it would upset Titania to know that she could not go to visit her old pack, not as long as Sky was the leader.

Zalen let out a sigh and stood, helping Orin up to her feet as she did so, This is not good news… he said, looking off into the distance before bringing a hand up to rub his eyes, as if he were tired, I had been hoping to eventually ally with Cercatori, but now it cannot be so, not as long as an accomplice to murder holds the strings of the leader. He turned back to Orin then, Come Orin, we can go to the den now if you wish, and we can talk along the way. He put a hand to her arm to help lead her in the direction he had come from before.

The two moved slowly, Zalen allowing Orin to take a look around and also to keep from making too much noise; he did not want to be ambushed. He had been smelling a cougar around lately, and it had made him uneasy; he would have to investigate it in the future to make sure it wasn’t living on pack lands. For a moment there was silence, then Zalen decided to start a conversation with her, Titania has not told me much about you. You seem a strong woman and your daughter is no exception. Did you always live in Cercatori? He gave her an innocent smile, hoping that the small talk would calm her nerves.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 544

Of course, Orin forgot that her pack's business could be confusing to an outsider what which Skye Collins and Sky Rhiannon, and didn't realize that Zalen had taken it to mean that Taliesin was mated to their Capitana. She didn't correct him when he mentioned something about the leadership being influenced by the scoundrel, too, for Taliesin himself and his wife were now a members of d'Arte's council, so he was influencing the leadership.

She nodded when he asked her to come to the den, happy to be invited into her daughter's world, despite the shadows that plagued her heart. Taking his hand, she raised off of the boulder and followed just a step behind his paces, more at his side than anything but letting him lead the course into New Dawn and towards the place the pack denned. Her eyes drank in the sights of the snow covered land, admiring the wintry beauty of the forests. Once, she glanced over her shoulder to appraise the view of the snowy peaks of Halcyon that loomed over the lands, and grinned with approval. Although with each smile also came a sadness as she remembered the weight that hung from her soul.

Finally Zalen said something more, and she was thankful for the distraction. “I'm actually born south, in the U.S. state of Florida. Or, at least I think that's where I was born. That's where my brother and I can always remember being, anyway. Our parents disappeared when we were still an age you would call a puppy, and the old cities of that place were wrought with criminals. No packs existed there, only gangs and mobs. We eventually scrounged and bought passage on a ship that brought us here after I'd read something in a book about a man who sailed north, and we came to shore in Cour des Miracles, where we made our home. My brother, Niro, still lives there, but I was there for about a year before I met Shawchert and joined him in the newly formed Cercatori d'Arte. That was... a little over a year ago... Wow... it's been almost two years since I came here...” Her voice trailed off for a moment, wondrous.

They moved through the woods now, but in this place the trees seemed to be more sparse, and before her she saw a formation with the maw of a cave. The den? She glanced at Zalen for confirmation. “Will Titania be there?” she asked hopefully, but for some reason she didn't think so. The place was strong with her daughter's scent, so she wasn't sure if the girl was inside or not.

Her eyes dropped as she continued speaking her thoughts. “Sometimes I'm not convinced being here is much better than the life we had there. Sometimes it feels worse. I mean, here you get the illusion of safety, of happiness,” she gestured wildly with her hands to punctuate her point. “But then it gets ripped out from beneath you over and over again.”

She paused just outside of the pack den, sighed and shook her head. “What am I going on like this for?” She sounded apologetic. “I shouldn't be troubling you with my problems. I'm sorry Zalen.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

For a moment Zalen felt guilty for breaking Orin’s reverie; she had been so intently looking at the snowy landscape of New Dawn that he had almost caught his words as he had spoken them. But she seemed glad to expound further on what little he knew of her past, telling him that she had been born in a place called Florida and that there had been no packs there. This fascinated Zalen, for the concept of Luperci living in even more human like environments than the ones here in Nova Scotia was so far beyond him that he would not even dare to try and imagine it. Then she spoke a name, Niro, and he realized it was the second time she had spoken it. Could it be the same Niro he had met in Halifax? I met a man named Niro. He was a bird man, had an eagle and hawk with him if I’m not mistaken. I do believe he said he was a member of the Court. He smiled at her, how funny it would be that he had chanced upon Titania’s uncle before she was even a scent on the wind.

The two of them came into the clearing that was just outside the dagger caverns and Orin seemed eager, thinking that perhaps this was the Den. She then asked if Titania would be inside and Zalen shook his head, No, this is but the largest of a system of caves we have here. The den is still further off and your daughter should be there. So they continued onward, when Orin spoke about how sometimes she would feel as if the life she lead here were not much better than the dangerous one she lead in Florida and Zalen’s ears drooped. Orin obviously had some darkness in her past that was keeping her from true happiness and Zalen could more than relate. It was only until recently that he had felt the same, the weight of the death of his mother hanging over everything he did, the hate he felt tinting every encounter he had. But with Titania’s love and Soran as a surrogate, he had finally let it go, and it was the most freeing sensation in the world.

Putting a hand on her shoulder again he frowned at her, not disapprovingly but understandingly, You do not trouble me. I am an Alpha and take on all the burdens of my pack-mates, you are no exception. I’ve had troubling times myself, and I find the best way to be rid of the dark is to speak of it. You will always have a trustworthy confidant in me. He then gave her a reassuring smile. He was then again sad that she would not join New Dawn, she would be very happy here.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 822

She spoke of Niro and a spark of recognition ignited in the dark male. He said something to her that made her perk up then and there, a wide smile brimming on her muzzle as delighted golden eyes shone on him. “Yes! That's him! He raises birds. Oh, I bet he had Marahute with him. That was his first one, I still remember when he first got her egg. That eagle's been with him since before she hatched.” She turned her eyes back to the forest but the smile didn't fade. “That's funny. Small world.”

She couldn't help the disappointment that was clear on her features, that smile now faltering, as he said that this wasn't their den. She supposed it would be awfully close to the borders if it was, which wouldn't be a very strategically placed den. That close and they would be far too vulnerable to invaders. Deeper into the lands, making it a longer journey for trespassers to reach, was a much safer place for the pack to sleep.

It was a good thing that listening to her list of problems wasn't bothering him, because she had more on the docket and for some reason the man's presence made her feel comfortable, and things just came out. Not that Orin was ever known to be skimpy on words or anything, but far more had she told this man about herself than she would have told any common stranger.

Their foot paws made satisfying crunching sounds in the snow as they walked, and Orin paid attention to them for several paces. ...the best way to be rid of the dark is to speak of it. You will always have a trustworthy confidant in me.. The words he spoke sank in deep and took little contemplation, rather they spoke purely to her soul. She didn't even know what she planned to say, she just said it.

“There's a lot of darkness that I've never talked about,” she said, her voice low but it sounded like she was trying to be nonchalant about it. “A lot happened when my children were born. Did Titania ever tell you about her brother?” She glanced to Zalen's face, and then turned back to the forest. “There were three in her litter; three that would have survived. Can you believe Titania was my 'runt'? She wasn't much of an actual runt, she wasn't sick or weak at birth or anything, just the smallest of the three. Anyway, the boy's name was Demetrius, they were my little Shakespeare babies.” She chuckled softly to herself, though for all she knew Zalen didn't even know who Shakespeare was. “They were all healthy, they all would have lived, but somebody stole Demetrius in the night and... well you're a smart man, you can figure out the rest.” He probably knew, anyway.

“I ran from the pack with the girls, it was the only way to keep them safe or he would have come back for them, too. Everybody knows about this, everybody in d'Arte knows. I was gone for months but when I came back clearly everyone thought it was best not to bring it up, as if I'd somehow forgotten about what happened or something. Hmmff. No, they just wanted to avoid an awkward situation, avoid hurting me, I guess.”

“But it came down to that... never really stamping out the evil he did because everybody was to glad to have it over that they never realized his evil was still spreading, even after the man was destroyed.” Jace... a godsend...

“What no one knows is that there was another man, too, who attacked me. I was a day in the woods, just after my son's murder, and I was cleaning up in the river when he found me. Kept calling me 'dove'. Either he didn't know the girls were in the brush, or he didn't care. I can't imagine a man like that not hurting them if he'd known, though. I didn't want to bring any attention to them, so...” her voice became monotone as she related the story – the story that she had never told anyone before. It was almost like she was reciting something she had read rather than experienced. “I let him do whatever he wanted, to keep his attention on me. In the end it worked, the girls remained safe, and that's all I ever wanted.”

“That's how I found out Taliesin had a rotten soul, that man was his father. His name was Lucifer,” her eyes turned to Zalen, and the next person she mentioned she didn't know he would know, too. “There was a wolf in Phoenix Valley – where I hid out for a while – his name was Noah. He visited d'Arte just a few weeks ago and told me this, and I trust his word.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

This poor woman was like a chalice that held her pain like water. Zalen could tell from the moment he had offered her the service of confidentiality that she would not hesitate to take him up on it. Therefore, there was only a short veil of silence before she let forth her darkness into the bright light of the world. Zalen listened, enraptured, his heart beating like a drum as Orin spoke of her pains.

She spoke first on the murder of her son, Titania’s litter-mate. How terrible a world it was were a pup could be stolen in the night as if it was a scrap of meat. But it wasn’t just pups, oh no, his mother had been stolen in the same way. Though it was nearly a year ago that this occurred, based on Titania’s age, it was a scar that Zalen was certain burned constantly across Orin’s heart. He tightened his grip on her hand as she continued, in an encouraging way.

Then a story he wasn’t expecting, a deep and dark secret that Zalen, despite his exhortation, could never truly understand as a male. Orin had been raped, raped while her babes lie in hiding nearby. Zalen could not help but to lift a lip, revealing sharp teeth as his face twisted in anger and dismay. What low and vile creature could possibly lay hands upon a woman that was not his own? Oh if only Zalen could have been there. He had never murdered someone before, but there were things that just called on violence as a punishment.

She spoke that the man who had accosted her was named Lucifer, and Zalen’s ears peaked at this. Lucifer… where had he heard this name before? He tried to wrack his brain as to where he had heard it, when Orin herself brought him the answer; Noah. So it seemed Noah had taken her in in Phoenix Valley, a pack that no longer exited, but that Lucifer was the father of Taliesin, the man in Cercatori that caused Orin distrust. But Noah had mentioned Lucifer before hadn’t he? Zalen had heard it on the wind when he had rushed in to find Deuce with her jaws around Noah’s throat. What had they said about Lucifer?

Then, it struck him; Lucifer, if he remembered correctly, was Noah’s father. Oh what a horrible, twisted web fate could weave. Not only now did New Dawn hold the son and former lover of an evil man, but that man had raped Zalen’s mate’s mother. Oh horrors of horrors! What would Zalen do with this knowledge. His face set into deep and dark concentration, What you have told me, has caused me a pain. Noah and his mother now live in New Dawn with us, I am sure you will see them. This dark man, Lucifer… it seems he now had ties in my pack. Zalen glared at the snow as he walked. Why did the past of his pack mates keep cropping up in such horrid ways?

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc 426

The hand that tightened on her own was a welcome comfort, a bit of affection that had been long missed by the woman. It had almost been two months since she and Shawchert separated and before that the two had become disconnected, estranged. There had not been much affection or comfort in Orin's life in quite a while; too long for the quick to love wolfess.

Orin had a talent for tapping in to the old, primal nodes within and sensing the feelings of those who held sway over her. A true subordinate wolf, her ties were the strongest with her own alpha, Skye Collins, but now that she and Skye were separated by miles and Zalen was here, and they were in his territory, she felt that invisible, protective sensation that being in a good alpha's presence afforded an associate. It was like it didn't matter that for once she was voicing her darkest secrets, it was all ok right now, it would all be ok. There was an extra safety here, though, for later on she would leave this land, and wouldn't have to live with these wolves, wondering all the while if they were pitying her like she did in d'Arte.

“Noah's here?” She looked surprised. He hadn't told her then that he was coming to New Dawn. Was he still an Ichikan the last time they met? “Yes, I know he is Noah's father, too. I know Noah better, though, and I don't think the darkness got into him.” She shook her head gently. “I know of the good he has done. And I don't sense that... that...” She didn't know how to describe it, so the sentence trailed off, at a loss for words.

“At least we have one less worry, Lucifer is dead. Killed by one of the women he hurt, Jace Wolfe. After I abandoned the disguise of Desdemona Moonsong-” did Zalen know the story of how his mate had come to be called Moonsong, not Takekuro? Did he know that wasn't her father's surname? “-and returned to d'Arte she found me and told me the... good news.” She scoffed at herself as she said it. “It feels strange to be happy that someone's dead. I feel guilty about it.”

There was another span of silence, a new thought coming to mind but she wasn't sure if she should say it. It would make her sound foolish. He surely would think she was nuts if she asked...

“Do you believe in ghosts?”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC.

As terrible as the things she was telling him was, Orin seemed to be relaying them bravely. Zalen was at awe of this woman, her past had been darker than his own by tenfold, but she did not show it. Despite her blue mood now, she seemed to be a well-adjusted and happy wolfess overall. It was a pity that not all could take after her, for Zalen knew of many wolves who let the darkness in their past control them, turning them into creatures that no longer appreciated the light.

Orin then told him the Lucifer would be of no threat, for he had been killed. Zalen let for a short sigh, relieved. Though it was sad that any creature must die, in this case Zalen felt no remorse. He shook his head when Orin said she felt guilty for feeling happy over the vile man’s death, but he said nothing. He was not one to judge how other’s coped with difficult things, and her method seemed to be working just fine for her. Suddenly then, out of the blue, she asked him if he believed in ghosts.

Zalen’s ears flicked as if he were trying to be rid of some annoying gnat; what would she think of him when he told her his beliefs on the subject? He assumed she had asked because of Lucifer, perhaps she was afraid he would come back as a dark spirit to haunt her and continue to hurt her even in the afterlife. Zalen did not know anything of evil spirits, only good, and even now could feel the presence of his great-grandmother hovering about him like an aura. Ever since New Dawn had been established, he could feel her presence as only a subtle thing, sometimes like a buzz in the air. Sometimes even, he felt her absent, instead she clung to Titania, for some reason taking and interest in his new mate. The presence of Ruby no longer bothered him as it once did, and now he appreciated her protection, whatever it may be.

My great-grandmother, Ruby, was once an Alphess in the old burnt lands. She came to me one day, in a display of fire that did not burn, to tell me of my heritage, which my mother had kept from me. He frowned at this, still bitter over the fact that his mother was a liar and a coward, So, as you can see, I believe in ghosts. I could not deny it, as she as has come to be in visual form twice now. He looked at Orin, to gauge her reaction. For now he would keep quiet on the fact that she had appeared before Titania as well.

<style>
</style>[/html]