In this cold I can see my breath.
[html]

wc 773

An ear flicked as Zalen knelt beside her, aware of the movement, but she did not shift to pull away from him. Instead she remained still with her face hidden in her small white hands until she felt his arms move around her. Some would probably be frightened being hugged by someone they didn’t know, someone who could overpower them physically and mentally, but there was no fear in Orin in that moment. It was like Zalen had some strange, soothing power. Perhaps it was because, by nature, he was an Alpha wolf and she was forever born to serve; this was her place in life and Orin never questioned it. Or maybe it was because her beloved daughter trusted the man, and so far he had not hurt her. Or perhaps it was just his closeness to Titania, and how much he smelled like her that soothed her. It could have been any of these reasons, or it could have been something more, something inexplicable.

Whatever the case, Orin melted within his arms. Each muscle in her back and shoulders that had been so tense she thought they might pulverize her very bones finally eased. If only for this brief moment there was finally something there to protect her, so she might be enshrouded in safety for one minute. She softened and leaned into him, her raspy breaths calming. When he found words it was an offer of solace. She was quiet for a minute, and then sat up and looked into his face.

“Thank you,” she said, truly grateful. “That’s a kind offer, but I’m sure you’ll understand when I say I can’t leave my pack. Not when they need me so badly... even if they don’t know it.” She shook her head, exchanging a look with Zalen. She looked at her fingers as she wrung them together.

“Lover… He’s not a lover…” she shook her head slowly, but she wasn’t offended by the assumption. “I ended the engagement with Shawchert. Titania doesn’t know yet… This man… he’s a friend I’ve known for a long time. One of my first friends when Niro and I first came north. His name is Mars. We used to live in the Court together, and later he followed me to d’Arte, but now he lives with the Dreamers. There’s just… something about him… I don’t know. We don’t even always get along. It’s funny…” She trailed off, uncertain about what she was telling him. Never did she question why she was telling the man who was essentially a stranger so many intimate details.

“Yes, you should be worried!” Frightened eyes darted back to his countenance, imploring him to heed her words. “Back in December, only a little while after Titania left, a boy killed a puppy. She was the adopted daughter of our healer and friend, Sky Katruk… well, now she’s Sky Rhiannon. She’s my friend… she was there for me when I found out I was pregnant with the girls-” a quick smile flashed “-and she took care of me all throughout the pregnancy. This boy – Liam is his name – this boy killed the child in the most vile way. When we found them she was… in… pieces.” Much of the emotion drained from her voice. She was growing used to trying to detach while retelling the story, it was the only way she could cope with it. There was a short pause, and then she continued, “nearly the whole pack arrived on scene, but instead of giving the bastard what he deserved they let him go. He should have been executed.”[/b]

Her voice lowered and her eyes darkened with mournful shadow. “You should be warned. We don’t know where he is. Someone who killed a puppy is out there now, and for all we know he came this way. I… I understand why Skye gave the order to free him though.

She had to, if you had seen his father’s face... she thought she was saving her pack member as he begged for his son’s life. It took an act of compassion to spare Liam and save Taliesin like that… it’s… hard to explain…” She choked on a word, then tried again. “But it was for nothing! Skye’s strength was all in vain! She should have killed him! It was just an act… Taliesin’s desperation… because he’s in league with Liam… his son. They’re the spawn of… of the devil!” It was hard to tell if she was being literal or figurative, but the strength in her voice seemed to indicate that this ‘devil’ was not in fact a figment of her imagination.

<style type="text/css">
.orintreeline-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.orintreeline b {font-weight:bold; color:#816f6f; letter-spacing:1px}
.orintreeline p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orintreeline {margin:0 auto; background-color:#e2e4f6; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/vpca54.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#a09eb0; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:370px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread