one is the loneliest number
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... ayeyes.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Slay inhaled deeply, savoring the fresh scent of spring. It was about time! For an arctic wolf, he truly did despise the snowy weather and all it stood for. It was enough to make him remain indoors, claustrophobic as he was. The big black-and-white male padded along the patches of grass, his wide paws nearly silent as they resisted sinking into the muddy ground. It was just a quick break, he told himself, a frown furrowed into his brow. He'd be right back. Slay didn't have the heart to admit that the puppies were exhausting him.

Some time had passed now - maybe a week or two? -since the de Sadira children had been left on their doorstep. Being adopted herself as a child, Cercelee was quick to offer their church as a home to the five little ones, all so different from each other. Slay couldn't say no, of course, but he had not been expecting the responsibilities of instant fatherhood. Some of the pups were afraid of him, and none of them spoke more than broken English, making things even more complicated. He couldn't admit that their mistrust hurt his feelings, because he wanted to be a good dad, even if the litter belonged to someone else. And his biggest concern - that Cer would be too busy to help him raise them - appeared to be coming true already, despite her best intentions.

Before he realized it himself, his wandering paws had carried him from the vineyard that concealed their home, and across the well-worn path to town, and he was heading towards the freer wilderness. Maybe a hunt would put him at ease! "Those kids need food, after all," he rumbled, his pale eyes scanning the hilltop. He wouldn't be lucky enough to spot a deer, so he'd probably need a family of rabbits or something to keep all their little bellies full for another hour or two... Oh! There was something moving down the hill, dark-brown and swift - ahh, just another packmate. There probably wasn't any prey nearby, then. Might as well have a conversation. "Ahooooy! And who might you be, mate?"

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier

[/html]

Messages In This Thread