one is the loneliest number
Sankor was more than amused with the discovery of wine and he knew that there were a million other things he'd like to try but something was holding him back. Being a normal average everyday wolf kept his curiosity at bay this long but there was one thing that Sankor hadn't admitted to anyone, he was jealous of his Luperci companions. He sat atop one of the hills in the woods and stared down towards the villages that one could barely see in the distance. Now that spring was coming he knew the leaves on the trees would soon block the view of what little was left of the human world.

The two-toned male was contemplating heading off to his little sanctuary for the evening but he was even too restless to be alone with his thoughts. Normally nothing really got to the male but the idea of being a lonely old everyday wolf finally was hitting home. Even his two siblings were luperci now and that enough made him feel like an outsider inside his own home. He didn't know when Dahlia de Mai had actually become home but he knew that it was now and there was nothing that was going to change that. He just shook his head and moved on down the hillside towards the villages below.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... ayeyes.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Slay inhaled deeply, savoring the fresh scent of spring. It was about time! For an arctic wolf, he truly did despise the snowy weather and all it stood for. It was enough to make him remain indoors, claustrophobic as he was. The big black-and-white male padded along the patches of grass, his wide paws nearly silent as they resisted sinking into the muddy ground. It was just a quick break, he told himself, a frown furrowed into his brow. He'd be right back. Slay didn't have the heart to admit that the puppies were exhausting him.

Some time had passed now - maybe a week or two? -since the de Sadira children had been left on their doorstep. Being adopted herself as a child, Cercelee was quick to offer their church as a home to the five little ones, all so different from each other. Slay couldn't say no, of course, but he had not been expecting the responsibilities of instant fatherhood. Some of the pups were afraid of him, and none of them spoke more than broken English, making things even more complicated. He couldn't admit that their mistrust hurt his feelings, because he wanted to be a good dad, even if the litter belonged to someone else. And his biggest concern - that Cer would be too busy to help him raise them - appeared to be coming true already, despite her best intentions.

Before he realized it himself, his wandering paws had carried him from the vineyard that concealed their home, and across the well-worn path to town, and he was heading towards the freer wilderness. Maybe a hunt would put him at ease! "Those kids need food, after all," he rumbled, his pale eyes scanning the hilltop. He wouldn't be lucky enough to spot a deer, so he'd probably need a family of rabbits or something to keep all their little bellies full for another hour or two... Oh! There was something moving down the hill, dark-brown and swift - ahh, just another packmate. There probably wasn't any prey nearby, then. Might as well have a conversation. "Ahooooy! And who might you be, mate?"

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier

[/html]
The two toned male hadn't expected anyone to find him there gawking at the human village but when the voice called out he didn't turn and head the other way, though for once he wasn't actually looking for someone to chat up a storm with. His eyes flashing slightly as he turned his head and glanced around, trying to figure out just who was calling out to him. His jaws stretching apart in a massive yawn the male caught sight of the white and black male moving his way. Grinned at the male he returned the greeting. "The name's Sankor.."

He lifted himself up from his perch and finished off the remaining distance between the two as he recognized the male from the last pack meeting as Cercelee's mate. He didn't know exactly how he felt about meeting the male, he'd rather not know him and just pretend he didn't like him, but it seemed fate didn't want him to be able to play that number. He grinned as he asked the regular old question. "And who would you be?" He already knew who he belonged to.. but the name availed him.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... ayeyes.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

"Call me Slay," he drawled, his usual response. It pleased him a little, after all this time, to still be meeting wolves that didn't know his name. That meant his reputation had not preceded him as the Rosea's mate; he was still himself, a higher-ranking doofus who fell asleep at inopportune moments and sucked at parenting. The oddly-marked male let his ebony-daubed tail wave behind him, relaxed around the easy-going Sankor.

"So you're the other stubborn lad who doesn't shift!" he crowed, finally recognizing him from the low-key meeting. It didn't matter whether he physically could not, as the case was, or whether he simply chose not to, as Slay himself did. The two of them were surrounded by two-leggers, and they remained with their noses to the ground and their tails held high. "How's it goin', mate? I tell ya, things have been hectic lately. You know anything about kids?" His ice-pale eyes inspected the Koios curiously, lightly catching his scent. He didn't appear to have a mate, so it was safe to assume he had no offspring. Alas, it seemed as though none of his friends had any advice when it came to families; Slay was one of the oldest wolves in the pack now, and still one of the least-experienced. He just wanted the orphans to grow up right, and not hate him for trying to replace their real parents, the ones that abandoned them at Cer's doorstep. He yawned widely, tired just thinking about it.

[/html]
Sankor grinned in spite of himself, it just wasn't in him to hate the male just because Cercelee had chosen him as her mate. He didn't even know what it bothered him so, he really didn't have feeling for the ivory woman but she still haunted his thoughts from time to time like a thorn in the side. He respected her as their leader and he trusted her but still there was something about that promise so long ago before there was a mate standing between the two of them.

When Slay proposed that he didn't shift Sankor shrugged and glanced off to the side as he admitted the truth. "I can't shift, so I guess I'm your guy.." He felt a little uncomfortable in admitting that he was just a lonely old wolf. He was rather surprised at how outgoing Slay seemed to be and yet he'd never seen him around the packlands before except at meetings. He glanced back towards the human village as he asked just that. "Why haven't I ever really seen you around before?" His curiosity was really beginning to get the best of him.

He was rather surprised when the male suddenly asked him what he knew about children. Sankor shook his head a bit confused at the question. Where in the world had that come from, there wasn't some sign on him that made people ask strange questions was there. "That would be my sister.. Alexey." he said, a little unsure as he asked. "Why do you ask?" He hoped that he wasn't prying to bad but as far as he knew Cercelee didn't have and children and there'd been no rumors of her pregnancy either. Was there something he was gonna learn here.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer

This seemed like his kind of guy, laid-back and friendly. Slay had been known to be uncomfortable around males, particularly those older or of a higher rank than him. He and Sankor seemed to be on equal footing, though, and going by the cheerful grin on the mahogany-furred wolf's muzzle, they would probably get along just fine. "I see! Well met, Sankor. I don't see what the big deal about tottering around on two spindly legs is, anyway. I'd rather be on all fours, where we wolves belong." He grinned in return, white-tipped ears perked forward with interest. It was a little rare to find a wolf physically incapable of transforming, but not unheard of. Stubborn mules like Slay, who simply refused to try it, were a rarer breed of idiot.

"I sleep a lot," he joked, although the truth was there beneath his light words. He avoided social gatherings because being narcoleptic was a shameful condition; to fall asleep in the middle of one's conversations, only to wake up later alone later, uncertain of what happened afterwards... Cercelee was really the only one who appeared unfazed by his sleeping sickness. She would always patiently wait for him to wake up again, since they first met in the flower meadow before forming the pack, and her persistence with him was one of the things he had fallen head-over-heels for. Not many pretty young lasses were willing to put up with his antics.

"I've also been busy lately - I guess you haven't heard? Cer and I adopted her cousin's kids, five of 'em. They're smart, and they're old enough to go out and about on their own, but I'd like to look out for them all the same. Thing is, they barely speak English...!" He shook his broad muzzle ruefully, frustrated as always by the language barrier. He couldn't give up on them, not after he'd promised to try his best, but he didn't know a single word of German. How could they communicate?

[/html]
Sankor chuckled at the words that the other male greeted him with on the topic of the luperci virus. He shook his head and sighed softly as he shrugged. "My sisters converted.. I'm not certain if it was on purpose or not.. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one left out here." he admitted as he raised his hind leg up to itch behind his ear. He really wondered what was so special about being a luperci but he had to admit that sometimes jealousy got the best of him.

When he'd asked just why he never saw Slay around he was slightly stumped by the answer he'd been greeted with. He wasn't for sure if he should believe the male or if he was just pulling his leg. Shaking his head as he tried to act cool he just shrugged it off. "Okayy..." He could act like the answer was enough but he didn't know the story behind the male and if he did know it wasn't for certain how he would have reacted to the strange ways of the male.

Sankor hated to admit it but he had no clue about what was going on with the Rosea's life. He didn't really know what was going on with half the pack except for what he heard in rumors. Shaking his head at the question the male has asked he admitted that he knew nothing. "Sorry I can't help you fella, you seem like you're pretty well screwed." he chuckled sadly at the whole experience he seemed to have found himself in. Smiling slightly he asked. [b]"Bet you didn't expect puppies this soon did you?" Of course they weren't Slay's puppies but it was almost the same.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer

Slay yawned deeply, licking his lips afterwards. He could use a nap after this fellow got bored of him... "Sisters, eh? I'm sure they wouldn't leave you behind on purpose. You're still in the same pack, right?" The shades of brown fur had seemed familiar; they had caught sight of each other at pack meetings, and he remembered at least once that Sankor had been with two other relatives. He had a terrible memory for faces, but he at least knew of Alexey, who had announced her new mateship to... somebody else he hadn't met. Good for her. "Besides, my whole clan had the ability to shift, but it was forbidden to try it. I've never once stood upright, even though I left years ago." He spoke lightly, not intending to dredge up unhappy memories. For the silver-tongued male with the black-marked fur, his past was the one topic that could really bring him down. It was mere conversation at the moment, though. He was sometimes curious about shifting, but he had been assured by many others that it was a personal preference, and no one really minded if you chose not to. Maybe it was harder for Sankor since he did not have the choice, but Slay was content the way he was. He wasn't missing out on anything, not really.

"Not at all!" he roared with laughter, ice-pale gaze sparkling. "I feel a little gypped; none of them even look like me. I guess it's good practice, but I don't know if I'm gonna be too keen on having a litter of my own, right after raising someone else's...!" He smiled lop-sidedly in agreement; yes, he was pretty well screwed. No use wallowing in misery, though - really, he was enjoying having the pups around, so there was little to complain about. It was tiring, sure - but what wasn't? Slay had been a slacker since day one, so it was probably a relief for Cercelee to see him actually making an effort for something... Trying to keep the larder stocked with food, trying to share his time with each one of the de Sadira brood... It was a brand-new experience!

[/html]
Sankor watched as Slay yawned, wondering slightly if he was boring the male, but instead of asking he just pushed the thought from his mind and set about on the next course of their conversation. "Believe me, they would leave me behind in a heartbeat, I'd deserve it though.." he aid with a wicked grin as he thought about the act that he had once left them behind while he'd ventured out to explore the world and discover that not everything was as simple as his family had tried to make it for the three siblings. He shook his head at the idea and sighed softly.

Within moment he was greeted with a few tidbits of Slay's past, something he found interesting to say the least. He titled his head to the side as he admitted. "Our family was raised to believe that these.. lupercis are just as bad.. if not worse than coyotes." he glanced off for a moment before clarifying. "Not that I have anything against coyotes.. or luperci.." He knew his father would probably be rolling in his grave if he knew how fast his family had changed once he'd been removed from the picture. There were something that you just couldn't fight, and change one was one of them, change always won in the end.

Sankor glanced over at his companion as he asked cautiously. "Have.. you ever shifted?" If the pack had been forbidden to shift he wondered if they even knew how, or if it really could be controlled. There were a lot of questions he had about the whole process but he doubted that Slay was the best one to ask, seeing how he didn't seem to like to be in the strange yet awesome form.

He couldn't help grinning when Slay tried to convince him that he didn't feel at all like he was on the losing end of the deal with the litter of puppies that had taken over the pack. Sankor grinned as he raised a brow at the male. You'll be singing a different tune soon enough I bet, just wait.." He really had no idea if children were really horrible little monsters or if they were the sweetest things on earth. He'd heard mixed reviews on the munchkins and wasn't sure yet which side he stood on. Staring at his friend he shook his head and chuckled. "You better hope this batch don't look like you, Cercelee might start wondering.." His eyes danced at the idea, he could imagine just what that sort of problem could bring and he knew he would feel sorry for Slay if that was the issue, luckily it wasn't.

The two toned male shook his head as he glanced off towards the center of the packlands. "I don't know, I think raising someone else's would be a little harder than your own.." he didn't know, and he actually hoped that he wouldn't find out anytime soon. That wasn't an idea he wanted to be thinking about.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
words: 382

Slay tilted his head curiously, pale blue eyes meeting tawny gold. "You really think your sisters would leave you? I bet you're just being hard on yourself." Some siblings did honestly hate each other, but Sankor seemed like such a nice guy. Surely he didn't deserve the solitude he claimed he did. The arctic wolf let his black-daubed tail thump against the ground, amicable as always.

"I got halfway once, as a kid," Slay admitted, his pale eyes half-focused on the faraway memory. "The halfling form is like being yourself, only a bunch stronger. You get all bulky and muscular - kinda freaky. I panicked and started squalling for my mother, and then I got in huge trouble for it. Never tried it again." He then grinned lopsidedly, shrugging a shoulder. "I don't even know if I could do it again... It was seriously a long time ago. Most of the crap they taught me was useless, but for some reason, I still believed in the whole 'shifting is the devil' business. Took me a long time to get used to this place, seeing everyone flaunting themselves on two legs..." Sankor's upbringing might not have been as harshly structured as Slay's, but it sounded like they had been taught the same basic principles. The Anak tribe, isolated in the mountains of what used to be Alaska, had been extremely bigoted and xenophobic, and Slay had been happy to shed those roots. One could only resist change for so long.

He couldn't resist a chuckle as Sankor stated the obvious - yes, he'd be in big trouble if the children were actually his! He remembered once that Cercelee had asked him - jokingly - if he could have any unknown litters wandering about the land. The answer was no, of course, as she was his first - but she did seem relieved to hear the answer... "Eh, we'll see. I just need to learn some of that barking language they all speak, and maybe then it'll get easier." He had heard similar words uttered by Sabeen Thames, but nothing was worth looking up that outcast, not even the opportunity to learn German for the pups. "Seems like there'd be more pressure to raise your own brood, but I'm sure they'd trust you more."

[/html]
Sankor wasn't as sure as Slay seemed about how his siblings felt for him. He grinned at the other male and asked. "Do you have sisters?" He didn't know if the male did, but if he'd been stuck as the only male in the litter and he stopped to think about it he'd understand that life with sisters was a little tougher than it seemed. He shook his head and smiled, "Living with them atleast brought me to a point where I can use my acquired talents to good use here.." He was a very outgoing male, teasing and flirting with others, but he did know how to listen, that was one thing he could do well.

Sankor sat quietly as Slay told his story of his shifting catastrophe and why he didn't attempt it again. He was rather impressed with it all and frightened at the same time. He knew of the different forms but he'd never really watched anyone shift or had seen the different forms. Or if he had seen someone in this between form he just hadn't realized it. He frowned slightly at the whole thought and sighed. "I can't shift, at all. I'm stuck on all fours forever." he said, though he knew it didn't have to be forever but he wasn't certain if he wanted to take that plunge and go that far. The other members of the pack didn't pick at the whole subject too much so it didn't bother him unless he thought about what he might just be missing.

He grinned stupidly at Slay as he turned towards the conversation of children once more and his issues with the language barrier. He didn't know much about different languages though he'd learned a bit here and there in his travels it hadn't stuck to him to learn the rest outside a phrase here and a nasty word or two. He smirked as he suggested. "There's always the human city.. if you were that desperate I'm sure you could find books on it.." He shrugged as he rambled on. "Not that that's much help if you can't read though.." like he couldn't. Sankor was beginning to realize there was a lot he didn't know or couldn't do.

He let out a large jaw cracking yawn as Slay went on into the versus of one's own litter or an adopted clan. He grinned at the other male as she shook some of the sleep out of his system. "Well, I'm lucky enough not to have to worry about either, though I can't say the same for you." He chuckled and shook his head as he gave the male a sorry look. "Hopefully that's not going to change anytime for me either." He really hoped that he wasn't jinxing himself now.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
words: 415

Sankor's unflagging smile seemed to unlock a lot of the things Slay kept hidden beneath his easy-going exterior. He hadn't told anyone about his shifting misadventure before, and he hadn't spoken much about family, either. Purposely or not, the pack Psychologist was very talented at getting others to open up to him. "Sisters? No. Well... not really. Kind of?" He grinned helplessly, knowing he would have to elaborate on that confusing response. "I was an only child, but since there weren't many pups in the pack, I was raised alongside my cousin... so she was like a sister to me. I had to leave her when I ran away from home, but she was always more rebellious than me; I'm sure she found her way out, too." Their mothers had been twin sisters; if not for Slay's throwback markings, they would be identical. Not that it meant much; their tribe was so inbred that they all looked like each other, either all white or all black, with the same pale eyes... Had he grown up to be the alpha, his cousin would have become his mate. Such a twisted life.

His friend grew quiet on the topic of shifting, and Slay was reminded of a conversation he had had some months ago with his friend, Mew. He too had been self-conscious about being the only one on all fours, surrounded by werewolves, but she had assured him that no one found it odd. It was merely a personal preference, she had explained that sunny afternoon by the seaside. "It's... really just your choice. And it's not forever, as I understand it," he added pensively, studying the frowning Koios male. "You could ask your sisters to join them... they could perform a blood pact." It was a simple enough ceremony - two shallow cuts, let the blood mingle, and then the ability would be shared. Any werewolf could offer him that. If it meant that much to him...

Slay felt another slow yawn coming on, after watching Sankor do the same. Sleepiness was contagious. "Can't read," he admitted lazily. Mew had spoken about trying to teach him once, but it was another option he had not chosen to pursue. "And we'll see about that, mate. I could give you a kid or two, you could see how you like it. Might attract the ladies...!" Slay let his tongue loll playfully from his jaws, a goofy canine grin pasted across his muzzle. Whatever will be, will be!

[/html]
Slay's respond was indeed confusing but the male didn't seem to have to wait too long before it was all explained. He had never known pack life before venturing to Dahlia de Mai and so he didn't know the strains and issues that the pups had gone through when they'd been younger. He could probably understand a little better now than he ever would have been able to before though. He just shook his head at Slay's story and sighed. "Seems no one's life is all filled with happily ever afters and sweet lullabies anymore." Really, he didn't think that he could find a single member of the pack who didn't have some sort of emotional scarring from their past. Was he perhaps actually the only normal one out of them all, of course except for his jealously of what they had that he didn't.

As the conversation moved on towards the methods and means of shifting and what Sankor had to give up to be one of them he just shook his head, grinning bitterly at the suggestion that Slay had made. "Ade would probably rip my throat out if I asked such a thing... she didn't exactly want to learn to be like everyone else." He knew he probably shouldn't be standing there talking about his sister but it was the truth. He glanced down to his paws and thought about what Slay had said about the whole procedure. "I don't know.. I don't know if I want to do it for the right reasons.." Did there even have to be reasons at all for doing such a thing, he didn't think so but the idea of it all seemed so small when the other male spoke of it. It really did bother Sankor but he didn't want to try and explain it all, it was really quite silly.

When Slay gave a yawn and admitted his fault in not being able to read Sankor just shrugged and grinned slightly. "That's two of us then.." he chuckled lightly. "Not that it matters for me, I can't turn the pages anyways." He shook his head at the idea of a regular old wolf attempting to turn the pages of a book and grinned at the absurdity of it all. "Ah well, all's well." he said with a smirk, though that was washed off his face quickly as Slay teased about a loan of pups for a little while. Shaking his head Sankor growled softly. "No, no, no. You can keep them all." He shook out his coat at the creepy thought of puppies underfoot and gave a smug smile. "Besides, I don't have to worry about the ladies." Though he knew if he kept talking about it all the ladies would soon learn he was a blabbermouth and they wouldn't want to hang around much anymore. Now that would be a disappointment.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
WC: 457

"Ain't that the truth," Slay drawled in confirmation. Everyone he knew had some sort of skeleton in their closet, some terrible event from their past that had shaped their adult life. Maybe that was the very reason wolves were drawn together to packs; they needed to rely on each other to forget about where they came from... Perhaps that was a cheesy explanation of their natural instincts, but it did seem like their pack attracted a lot of loners with painful baggage. Cer's abandonment, Mew's lost litter, Cwmfen's exodus, his own abuse... What a depressing line of thought. They all had each other now.

Slay shrugged a shoulder nonchalantly, unwilling to press the issue further. He couldn't really imagine what it would be like to hate shifters and then become one; his own situation was rather different, and far less difficult. He rejected all sorts of things about himself; he denied his sleeping sickness as long as he could, he denied his spiritual heritage as a seer, he denied his incestuous roots. Refusing to try his hand at walking on two legs was just another contradiction to the stubborn male. "Well, seems to me she might appreciate having you on her side, then, mate," Slay offered simply. "Your reasons are your own, but if it has to do with keeping the family together, I hardly think they're wrong."

The arctic wolf dug his blunt claws into the soft earth, stretching luxuriantly like a cat. His joints felt stiff from being indoors all the time; he could use a good run to loosen them up. Maybe later, though... maybe after a nap. "I never got why some wolves want to be so much like humans. Why read their books? Why wear their clothing? It's all a mystery to me. I suppose learning new things can be interesting, but there is a limit..." It perplexed him still, but it did not offend him as it used to. Let them enjoy their little games. As long as no one got hurt, he could care less what the werewolves did in their spare time. He snorted in laughter at Sankor's next joshing statement - the pair of ruffians had a lot in common, it seemed. "Oho, a lady's man, I see! And a confident one at that, not wanting the help of a cute pup to draw in a cute girl... Tell me, do you have any amorous interests in our pack? Anyone I know?" His black tail waved playfully, still sporting his silly grin. Cer didn't allow him to flirt anymore, so he had to settle for living vicariously through others. If he knew that Sankor had the same tastes as himself, though, he might not have smiled so widely.

[/html]
Sankor nodded silently in agreement to Slay's words as he too thought on the pack's troubles. He shook his head as he realized that Ade fit in more here in the pack that he ever would. He offered Slay a lopsided grin as he joked. "I guess I've got to be the sane on then..." Someone had to hold them all together and he seemed to be the one stuck with the job. He wasn't sure just what he thought of that but it was the hand he'd been dealt.

He really didn't know what to say when their conversation turned to the darker bitter subject of his predicament with just being a regular old wolf while everyone else was able to trampse around on two legs. He didn't want to have to tell Slay that he misunderstood the whole thing and that Ade wouldn't have wanted him to shift just because she couldn't anymore. He wished that he could find the courage to be able to ask another to held aide him in the process without his siblings knowing. It was too much to even think about now so he just let it all silently pass him by.

Instead he watched as Slay made a show of stretching and loosening himself up while Sankor just sat by idly. He smirked as the other male went on a rant about the strange things that the Luperci did and how he wanted nothing to do with it. He just shook his head and said sortof dreamily. "Maybe you just haven't given it a try yet.. Perhaps if I ever shift we can go see what all the fuss is about.. and if it's all talk then atleast we'll know." He didn't want to believe that the other male just refused to try the new things but he'd known many that had a dislike for the human world and the way things ran. He wouldn't push the male but he could always offer, it wasn't like he was going to learn to shift anytime soon anyways.

When the laughter came Sankor straightened his shoulders and gave a soft chuckle at the teasing words that Slay threw at him. He knew that he was indeed a lady's man, but on the softer side he was a gentleman as well. He'd never taken his teasing and flirting to far and had always left the girls just as they'd met him, with of course a head full of compliments and a fluttering heart from the language of love he flaunted so well. Snorting at the question he was thrown Sankor just shook his head. "No, I'm not going down that road again.. I'm just the shoulder everyone cries on. No one looks at me as anything past that." or so he though. He'd never considered that any of the girls might have taken his flirting to the heart, but if they did they harbored their feelings alone and never tossed him a sniff of their desires. Not that he'd know what to do with them if they did. He just shook his head again but his thoughts did turn to a certain raven warrior as he fell silent for a second.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
WC: 370

The mahogany Koios seemed bitter behind his smiles, or simply saddened by the situation he found himself in. Slay regarded him calmly with his pale gaze, trying to piece together the situation. Were the man's sisters really going to leave him behind? One of them had taken a mate recently; perhaps that was part of it.
"Being the sane one doesn't sound like any fun at all. You should be the wildest one of all; make them jealous!" He raised an eyebrow, winking at his new friend. He did his best to brighten the somber mood, since everyone was happier when they were happy... right?

"It's a date," he affirmed with a smirk. Truth be told, he had been wrestling with the idea of trying out the werewolf thing since he had arrived on this coastline; what he really needed was someone to force him to try it, a "kick in the pants", so to speak. He never could seem to take any steps for himself... Even his mateship had almost not happened, he was so obstinate in his ways. If Sankor was serious, well, so was Slay. Maybe they really could try it out together sometime, a remedial shifting lesson for two full-grown adults.
"You tell me when you get it all sorted out, kay?"

Again, Sankor showed a glimpse of his inner self, and again, he seemed rather sad about it. The poor fellow had started off quite jovial; what went wrong? Slay scratched an itch behind his ear, absent-mindedly wiping mud onto his face. "You sure 'bout that, mate? I mean, girls aren't so direct about stuff... You usually can't tell unless they work up the courage to tell you themselves..." At least, that was how it went in his experience. Light-hearted flirting wasn't supposed to hurt anyone, but it often led to shallow relationships, built on nothing more than pretty words. Only two of his packmates had seen through his own cheerful facade, and that was because he'd spent so much time with them.
"And besides, I didn't ask you what they thought. Who do you have the hots for? Kol? Deuce? Tokyo?" He started listing names, peering mischievously closer to try and catch Sankor off-guard.

[/html]
It was the start of a downward spiral, the Koios male just hadn't realized it. While everyone else was faced with real life struggles his petty little annoyances were dragging him down. Perhaps it was the time he spend listening to the pains of others and trying to coax them back to the lighter side of life while he hadn't even found a grand reason to be happy. It had just been his nature to be lighthearted and carefree, now it seemed that was all being tested.

The words that the other male uttered made his chuckle and shake his head. "I'm not for certain if people would trust me in my profession if I was wild and reckless you know.." He would be one very bored therapist if everyone avoided speaking to him, but then again everyone probably would end up snapping and their pack would end up burning up in flames of chaos if the members didn't get their worries off their chest. He could almost guarantee that someone else would fill his position quickly though if he wasn't up to par.

When the conversation was turned back to their issues with shifting and what to do about that Sankor nodded in agreement with Slay, one day, some day, (probably nowhere in the near future). He didn't mind being a coward, as long as it kept him alive but he was sure one day it would get under his skin so much that he would make the change, ready or not. He smirked at the other male as he took to itching at a scratch along his throat ruff. "Yeah, whenever that may be." he said as he grinned sloppily.

He finished up the itch as Slay went on asking about the women in his life. Sankor raised a brow as he asked. "What, you that eager to get away from your vows?" teasingly. He didn't know why Slay was so interested in his life but he could assume that he probably missed the life he use to life. He glance off away from the male as he pressed him on about the girls in the pack, at the onslaughter of names he flicked his ears back a second before turning back. "What? No. I don't even know any of them aside from seeing them from time to time." His own interests laid in a woman who was too far out of his league and he didn't want to embarrass himself in admitted just who, not yet atleast.
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
WC: 351

Slay didn't actually know what co-rank Sankor held, so the comment went over his head. "Everybody loves a party animal, right? Maybe you just need to bust out of your routine, try something new. Take a vacation down by the beach or something! There's plenty of neutral territory down there, if you haven't checked it out." His ears tucked back as he remembered how often he used to wander, even months after being accepted into Dahlia. It took the loner a long time to adjust to social life and responsibilities, despite his friendly attitude. He assumed Sankor was having similar issues, and perhaps time away from his family would help him sort his priorities. He wouldn't know until he tried.

The Hunter yawned idly, feeling drowsy again. All this talk of shifting was wearying... He was glad when the conversation picked up again on a more familiar topic, girls. "What vows?" he replied cheekily, mistaking his new friend's discomfort for simple modesty. "So it's somebody you know? Ooh, is it someone forbidden...?" Slay drawled, raising his eyebrows suggestively. It did not mean that much to him, the inner workings of Sankor Koios's love life, but it was an exciting topic - he had grown into a bit of a gossip, especially now that he didn't get out much. He did not miss the loneliness of single life, but the freedom to flirt with everyone he came across, well, that was a habit harder to break.

"It isn't... Mew, is it? Or Firefly?" He added, trying to think of the mated females of their pack. God forbid it was Firefly; that family had enough issues going on already. "I'm sorry to disappoint, but you can't have my little Cercelee. Kol already tried that." He flopped down onto his belly, crossing his white paws before him. This was kinda fun. He didn't have a lot of guy friends to "shoot the bull" with... In fact, he had never had many male friends at all. He was the sort of guy that got along better with girls; he always had been a mama's boy.

[/html]
He flashed a grin at Slay as he tried to persuade him to change his ways and walk the wild road. A soft snort escaped his nose as he shook his head in disbelief and raised a brow at Slay. "I was born and raised in these lands, there's not a trail I haven't wandered." He wasn't bragging but it was the truth. He'd lived in these lands far before the new packs had and though he'd disappeared in time to find the world out there upon returning he'd left his silly carefree days of roaming behind. He was a respected member of the pack and it seemed that he was stuck in a rut. He smirked at Slay and explained. "Thanks for trying to help, but really, I don't think I'm in that much trouble yet." Atleast, he hoped he wasn't.

His mind seemed to linger on what Slay said for just a moment before he pushed it all aside. It was just too silly, and so unlike him. He didn't know what to think so he just let it all go. Slay on the other hand still wanted to go on about the gossip that Sankor was denying him. At the question of his vows Sankor grinned, "You better not let Cercelee hear you saying that.." He doubted that the two toned male would get in much trouble, but it would be interesting to see if he did. He snicked at the idea and sighed, it really seemed that the boy was not going to let up.

Going on into the females that weren't available Sankor shook his head and laughed in disbelief. "What? No! Geez.." He couldn't help but flash Slay a guilty look as he spoke about Cercelee but he didn't explain, there was no reason to, it had all just been silly flirting that had resulted in him developing a crush on a lovely lady.. who broke his heart. Staring off into the distance for a moment he finally sat down and gave in, or atleast taunted the male on further. "You're getting colder, you know that?"
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
WC: 393

The arctic wolf shrugged a shoulder, relaxed as he was on the ground. "I did my best, mate! Sounds like you could use some new trails, but if you can handle it yourself, more power to you." Slay had not felt alone in a long time, as the pack life had slowly wormed its way into his heart. He cared now about the direction they were taking, about the leadership and the care of the lower members, and it was a shock to him. He had spent so much of his life studiously avoiding those very aspects. He never wanted to be tied down, and occasionally the old claustrophobia flared up again, making him want to flee everything. But he had really found his place here, among the fields of flowers. Speaking to Sankor had helped him realize that - maybe it had helped Slay more than the Koios, but at least someone had gotten something out of the encounter.

"Uh, I won't say anything if you won't," the arctic wolf grinned ruefully. Cercelee had made him promise not to flirt with girls other than herself, and he had upheld that vow faithfully. She had said nothing about discussing their relative merits with other males, however. The spirited white wolf would probably give him a few nips for that, but she was generally good-natured about the errors in his ways.

His friend looked guilty for a moment, but Slay didn't realize why. He hadn't been taking the conversation seriously, or else he might have jumped to the obvious conclusion. "Colder? Agh, give me a hint, will ya? She is in our pack, right, not some stranger from outside? I don't know a lot of other pack wolves, unless they used to be with us, like Ember Phoenix, and Susquehanna, and Colibri Soul..." Slay frowned, wanting to solve the riddle. Assuming that Sankor wasn't lying, that meant he wasn't into any of the flirty girls, which was a surprise. Did he prefer the shy ones? A smile spread on his mischievous countenance as realization dawned in his pale eyes. "I've got it! It's a quiet one, isn't it? Tell me - is it Coli, or Cwmfen?" His black tail thumped on the ground, a confident rhythm this time. If he was wrong, he'd have to give up - he didn't know any other names...

[/html]