gone fishing
Xeris listened as Rendall recounted the story of her past. She couldn't help but feel sorry for the pup. "I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Pendzez is right, she will always be watching over you and I'm sure she is proud of you." Rendall's remarks about her fur highlights struck a nerve in Xeris; she was not the only one who had been shunned for being different. "I was sent away for being unusual as well. My father was also the leader of a pack. He didn't like the idea of Lupercis. And then I accidentally became one, and, well, he wasn't particularly happy with me. So I'm here now." It hurt a little to recall her family, but she knew that she was among friends. "So Rendall, if you ever feel sad about that, you can always talk to me."

She looked over toward the fire. Picking up a stick from the nearby pile of firewood, she tossed it in and watched the flames envelop and devour it. She thought about Pendzez's words about family. Xeris, too, wanted a family someday; but she didn't know if she was ready for that just yet. She was already beginning to feel like a part of the Phoenix Valley family. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that these other wolves surrounding her were her family now--and she was happy.

Messages In This Thread