See the other side
[html]

Word Count: 400+
Oh, its when if you have a thread that started on the, say 24th of October, you just have an understanding between the people involved that it actually took place on a different, earlier date. In this case, the thread, though started yesterday in our time, took place on the day Alaine joined Cour des Miracles, the 21st. I hope that makes sense. XD

EDIT: Gah! Your writing is so nice to read. *noms on the words*

--------------------------------------------------

A hoarse chuckle rose in Finn’s throat at the title Alaine bestowed upon her. ”Oh, don’t call me lady. It makes me sound so much more… noble than I am. I’m not part of the Court yet. Just Finn will do.” That aside, she gave a noncommittal shrug. ”I’ve been better.” It wasn’t very hard to admit, she had been riding high for the first few days in Cour des Miracles. That encounter with Jac had made her happier than she had been in a long time. It had to come crashing down eventually, though, and Finn could tell the walls were starting to crumble.

”I… yes. Maybe I should.” Finn sank to the ground. She wanted to ask Alaine, but still she could not bring herself to do it. Her tongue was glued to the roof of her mouth, and every way she tried to phrase the question in her mind sounded dumb and idiotic. ”You… How did you… know about Caillen?” The words came out in a stuttering rush, and Finn felt a vague rising of annoyance at her cowardice. She was a fighter! She had faced down bears and packs of wolves and yet she could not master her mouth for long enough to spit out a simple question. It was driving her crazy, like an itch she could not scratch.

It was almost embarrassing, that a female wolf her age had not borne any children at all, but only if you did not know Finn’s history. All of it. There were levels of what she’d tell people, corresponding with how well she knew him. Acquaintances were brushed off with some quick and glib reply, friends treated to a little insight and those she trusted the most were told everything. Allowances had never been made because Finn had never gotten so close to someone that she felt comfortable sharing the darkest parts. Sometimes she reasoned with herself, thinking that the bad parts of her past were not as bad as other’s, and thus undeserving of attention. There was always someone worse off, and really, she hadn’t turned out too bad, right?

Finn liked Alaine. She was impressed by the ferocity shown when protecting her son, and the lengths she would go to to keep her little family healthy. Caillen looked well fed, but his mother’s ribs were showing, and Finn could only assume that Alaine had given all she could to her child. Finn could respect that, even if she doubted being able to feel that way for any child of her own.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread