See the other side
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... eader1.png); background-position:top; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

OOC// Ahh, this is going to be fun xD I hope you don't mind my set-up of this scene; To make it more obvious, this is directly after our last thread. Alaine and Caillen are waiting somewhere near Chien Hotel for Finn's return.

The beautiful young woman shifted nervously, her brilliant emerald eyes rimmed with the pearl hue of a frightened victim. Her hands clasped and unfolded, rubbing nervously at the silky texture of her slender, bare thighs. The dark claws that tipped them scratched beneath smooth hair, the little pricks of pain helping her to concentrate.

This was a bad idea... What is going to happen to us?

Her gaze, seemingly blinded with worry, traipsed back over her shoulder to the little boy that lay curled up on the grass, innocently snoring away his mothers frantic fears. Alaine swallowed nervously, and unable to remain still, forced herself to sit back down on the large boulder beside him. There was a building in the distance, some sort of hotel... It's doors and windows gaped out at the young mother like ghastly, screaming mouths. Even though one day she would come to think of it as home, the Chien Hotel seemed now only to be her prison, or perhaps her death.

Now you are just being ridiculous!

Mentally scolding herself for getting so disturbed, Alaine took a deep breath, felt the swirl of air fill her lungs, and held it tight for a moment before exhaling. Though the fears were still bashing against her skull, atleast her heart managed to slow it's humming-bird pace. Fingers laces through the thick hair of her plumes tail, absently brushing at tangles, her sharp forest-green eyes still on the lookout. The ebony lady... Miss Finn? ... Had told her to wait here. Just to wait. And for some reason unknown to the young mother, Alaine trusted her, with those dark eyes that had seen far more than just this land, these strangers. She had been kind... And that was the only thing that the lady could cling to right now. Finn had said that this place would bring solace.

Solace seemed so far away.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 300+
Nope, don't mind at all! Do you think we could backdate the post to the 29th of October?

--------------------------------------------------

Her thoughts were tumbling over themselves, twisting into knots before her very eyes. The thought that had occurred to her, just out of the blue not one day ago was looming in her mind, taking up precedence till no room was left for anything else. Finn paused at the edge of the meadow, trying to gather herself together. She had meant to ask Alaine about… her predicament, but she had no idea how to go about doing it. The grey wolf drew in a deep breath, trying to imbibe some courage from the air. She would have taken a swig of whiskey if she had it.

It was a quick jog to the Hotel, and Finn was barely out of breath by the time she saw the now slightly familiar form standing outside it. Finn smiled self-consciously and closed some of the distance. ”Hi, Alaine. Thank you for waiting for me. I wanted to ask you something.” She scuffed the ground with one foot, pushing the dirt this way and that. The calm mien she held before was dissolving, but though she fretted, the she-wolf could tell that Alaine was worried too. ”Are you okay?” She murmured, tilting her head to the side sympathetically. Being in a knew place could be worrying sometimes, Finn knew that all too well. She tried not to let things get to her, but some time stuff slipped through her defenses.

Could she really be pregnant? Was it possible? And if so, who was the father? Finn, for the first time in her life, was in the unique and uncomfortable position of being unable to discern who had sired the children she might now be carrying. And what was worse was that she didn’t know if she could tell either. Rurik she had met only the once, and could not bear forcing such a burden on a near stranger. He was a handsome stranger, and she knew that feelings for him lurked within her heart, but she could not drop her problems into his lap. Jacquez… Jacquez she was not sure about. He liked to woo and flirt, but she could not see him being the paternalistic type. But, who knows? Perhaps this was all Finn's imaging and she wasn't pregnant at all.

[/html]
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... eader1.png); background-position:top; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

OOC// Sure thing! ... What do you mean by backtrack? xD I'm happy to do whatever you want, though!

She almost didn't see the dark woman approach, would have missed her completely were it not for the way that ebony pelt stood out amongst the brightness of the day, the sharpness of her pelt contrasting with the falsetto of happy morning sunlight. Upon seeing Finn, Alaine stiffened, immediately rose to meet her. Gut twisted nervously as she found herself once more the object of interest for those sharp steel-gray eyes, which met brilliant emerald with hesitant grace.

The other woman's smile bared ghastly, dagger-sharp teeth, and inspite of herself Alaine managed a bleak smile back.

" Hi, Alaine. Thank you for waiting for me. I wanted to ask you something.”

To stop her hands from fidgeting, Alaine folded them neatly together, lowered her tail in a submission manner before she nodded to the other woman meekly. Something about Finn seemed... Different, today. There was a shadow in the older feo's flinted smoke eyes that had not been there before, something that Alaine recognized to have been within herself, also. A hollowing feeling clenched her gut, but tufted ears lifted towards the other politely.

" Are you okay?”

Sympathy came to the lady's features, her head tilted emphatically. Pride swelled up within Alaine, the ghost of something she had once been well known for... Old habits die hard. But the young mother took a moment to remind herself that she had nothing to be proud of in this stranger's land, no spine to hold her head erect, no reason to be offended by the thought that she was incapable, a victim. Because she was. Forcibly humbling herself, the she-dog nodded slightly, her emerald eyes dropping down respectfully.

" Yes, I am fine... I trust you are likewise, lady Finn."

Her voice held that mystifying musical accent once more, much alike a lullaby to the unwary hark. Her voice had once been the source of her pride - Alaine remembered glimpses of her youth, playing the harp and singing. Along with her beauty, the delicate miss had been prized, treasured... Loved. No more. When her gaze rose again, it was only to sharpen visibly. Finn's features, whether she knew them to be or not, were contorted. The other woman seemed close to despair about something, the vacant look in her eyes proof of trouble within her mind. Without thinking, Alaine reached out, her palm resting gently on the older lady's upper arm, as if to bring her back to the present.

" Miss Finn? I think you should sit down... You don't look very well."

Whatever was troubling the ebony feo, Alaine felt a twist of worry for her. There was something haunting within the older woman that reminded Alaine of a dark part of herself.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 400+
Oh, its when if you have a thread that started on the, say 24th of October, you just have an understanding between the people involved that it actually took place on a different, earlier date. In this case, the thread, though started yesterday in our time, took place on the day Alaine joined Cour des Miracles, the 21st. I hope that makes sense. XD

EDIT: Gah! Your writing is so nice to read. *noms on the words*

--------------------------------------------------

A hoarse chuckle rose in Finn’s throat at the title Alaine bestowed upon her. ”Oh, don’t call me lady. It makes me sound so much more… noble than I am. I’m not part of the Court yet. Just Finn will do.” That aside, she gave a noncommittal shrug. ”I’ve been better.” It wasn’t very hard to admit, she had been riding high for the first few days in Cour des Miracles. That encounter with Jac had made her happier than she had been in a long time. It had to come crashing down eventually, though, and Finn could tell the walls were starting to crumble.

”I… yes. Maybe I should.” Finn sank to the ground. She wanted to ask Alaine, but still she could not bring herself to do it. Her tongue was glued to the roof of her mouth, and every way she tried to phrase the question in her mind sounded dumb and idiotic. ”You… How did you… know about Caillen?” The words came out in a stuttering rush, and Finn felt a vague rising of annoyance at her cowardice. She was a fighter! She had faced down bears and packs of wolves and yet she could not master her mouth for long enough to spit out a simple question. It was driving her crazy, like an itch she could not scratch.

It was almost embarrassing, that a female wolf her age had not borne any children at all, but only if you did not know Finn’s history. All of it. There were levels of what she’d tell people, corresponding with how well she knew him. Acquaintances were brushed off with some quick and glib reply, friends treated to a little insight and those she trusted the most were told everything. Allowances had never been made because Finn had never gotten so close to someone that she felt comfortable sharing the darkest parts. Sometimes she reasoned with herself, thinking that the bad parts of her past were not as bad as other’s, and thus undeserving of attention. There was always someone worse off, and really, she hadn’t turned out too bad, right?

Finn liked Alaine. She was impressed by the ferocity shown when protecting her son, and the lengths she would go to to keep her little family healthy. Caillen looked well fed, but his mother’s ribs were showing, and Finn could only assume that Alaine had given all she could to her child. Finn could respect that, even if she doubted being able to feel that way for any child of her own.

[/html]
[html]

OOC// Oh, alrighty then, thats fine :3 And PSSH, your writing gives me happy tingles, so THERE xD

Beneath the warmth of her palm, Finn's skill was cool and clammy. The healer within Alaine fretted for the old woman, and she was thoroughly relieved when the other took no offense to her advise and agreed. As the ebony lady sank down to the ground, Alaine did likewise, tucking her legs daintily to the side and folding her hands neatly in her lap once more. Finn's eyes were down-turned, but her brow furrowed. Sensing the great importance of whatever she was about to say, the young mother remained silent, her brilliant jade eyes soft and measuring.

” You… How did you… know about Caillen?”

Slender willow-shaped brows rose in mild surprise, the odd question momentarily startling Alaine out of her propriety and respectfulness. Maw opened, shut, and the younger lady cleared her throat, questioning emerald eyes clearing inquiring something her voice dared now. With a hesitant and puzzled look, the beautiful she-dog granted ebony lady her answer.

" I just... I knew." Aware that was not an appropriate answer, she tried again, gaze misting over with memory, " It was a dark time in my life. I thought... I considered many things then. But I woke one morning, and I just knew. It was as if the world had suddenly come good again, like I was being rewarded. I felt... I felt him inside of me."

Suddenly lost to her own remembrance of the moment, Alaine gave the other a genuine smile, her shadowed, world-weary eyes alight with something precious, something eternal.

" It felt strange, but made me... Complete. I could feel the little life, glowing inside of me. That morning, I vomited up my guts," She offered a meek, wry smile before continuing, " It was as if he was just reminding me that he was there. I was... I was very ill at the time, but I felt stronger. I felt a new purpose."

Her emerald eyes became clear and direct, measuring the other woman in silence for a moment. Then, slowly, she reached forward. Gaze remained leveled with Finn's steely, smoky one, wary of the other woman even as she gently rested her seeking hand upon the hard muscle of the ebony lady's stomach. Her eyes fluttered shut for a moment, brow creasing with concentration, and then with a soft yip, she withdrew her hand as if shocked.

" Finn... Did you know?"

[/html]