stop the bleeding before it starts
[html]

"Oh," Snake replied lamely, unsure of what to bring out of them being 'a month or two back' but eventually just giving up. There were few things that Snake would not actively answer when asked—things like that were one of those few things. That just meant that he would rather not pry into other's personal lives as well; quite frankly, it seemed wrong to infringe on anyway. And this was all probably why it was best that Daisuke kept from jumping Snake—that, and that he might think it was another attack and defend himself. And breaking one of the golden wolf's arms would probably put another stake in their friendship.

And he was right to believe that Snake wouldn't believe what he said about taking a break from himself. The coyote was far too literal—he was too busy thinking that it was impossible to take a break from oneself (unless they died, or something) to say anything. But he supposed that he was on vacation from his true nature; the nature of a soldier which had come out more fiercely during the war. The stoic discipline, the single-minded focus. That had all been exhausting, but it was nice to have a defined purpose once more. Since survival was not a question mark here in Inferni, Snake often found he had little else to do. War was something to do, but it certainly made survival difficult as well.

So when it came to Daisuke's question of him enjoying the war, he would have to contradict what the wolf would assume, "No, I didn't." He paused, feeling how much better his damn back felt before continuing, "Fighting is my vocation, not my hobby; I don't necessarily enjoy it." He was nervous without it because he didn't have anything to focus on anymore, and that pent-up energy apparently stored itself as a sore back.

Confusing? Snake didn't think so—he thought that he was one of the only people around here that made sense; everyone else was confusing to him. He could say so, but he didn't see any point—just as he didn't see much point to make any comment on the fact that Daisuke apparently loved that about him. For some reason the golden wolf was always like that, usually taking what everyone else would say or do and turning it on its head. But luckily enough he was able to skimp out on replying as Daisuke announced that he was done. While the golden-furred man was moving to where he was in front of Snake, the coyote stretched, grunting in surprise as his back didn't pop and his muscles actually complied rather than protest. "Goddamn," he cursed, though in a positive, almost disbelieving way. "Thanks—I feel great." After rolling his shoulders, he froze up slightly as he saw Daisuke's hand reach out to grab the seashell necklace that he had put on Snake the first time that they had met. Alarm bells went off in the coyote's head as he realized that it felt something like a noose or a leash or something as he tested the strength of the twine, but he forced himself to calm down and wait to see what the other man had to say about it. His question was pretty understandable, though. "No," he answered; no one had, and that was why it was still on him—if Snake thought it a liability, he would not wear it anymore. But then he would have to face Daisuke's teary-eyed wrath if he did, which was another reason why the twine was unbroken around his neck.

It was when Daisuke gave the tentative look at Snake's olive eyes that he noticed that there was something up with the wolf—or, at least, he realized it enough for it to actually register in his thoughts. "What's wrong," he said, not really asking—almost concerned, but a demand as well. If it went back to Daisuke having wounded Snake, the coyote was over it; he lived in the present, not dwelling in the past. Then again, it could be something else entirely. Snake only ever had half a clue.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread