stop the bleeding before it starts
[html]

Daisuke was already past the usual barrier that Snake kept around himself, the buffer zone he kept between himself and others in order to protect himself. He was not as strict as he used to be with it, and for many reasons, but it still made him nervous. You did not break habits grown over months with a few weeks, and this was a fiercely-ingrained habit. Still, the coyote met the wolf's blue gaze levelly, almost imagining it a competition—and no one beat him in a staring contest. But Daisuke's next question forced his gaze away, in some kind of idiot flash of embarrassment, suddenly glancing out toward the wasteland and the ocean. Snake had been fashioned into a perfect soldier, one not side-tracked with such things, devoid of emotion and pain and pleasure. But, of course, his training had been broken recently, but he did not find himself at liberty to speak of such things. In the end, after a long pause, he shook his head. He finally reassigned his gaze to Daisuke's, frowning and saying, "Nothing."

It was... partially true.

Snake's gaze sharpened slightly at the golden wolf's apology—he had not intended to incite such a reaction when it came to his eyes. "You don't have to apologize," he half-growled, as whatever impression he had given was not caused by Daisuke. And then, quite without any cause and without Snake anticipating it, Daisuke flipped around onto his back and placed his head into Snake's lap—the coyote almost jumped, but barely managed not to do that. He glanced down at first, then sending his green gaze toward the horizon. The fur along his spine prickled uncomfortably, and he wasn't exactly sure what to do. He was on the verge of a mind-lock when he realized that Daisuke had one of the tails of his bandanna between his fingers, asking a question about it. Snake cleared his throat—despite the sudden change of position, no one had ever asked about his headwear before. It was strange to talk about—almost sentimental, but not exactly...

"My mother gave it to me," he answered, his usually-lifeless voice animating somewhat; he was surprised to hear it. Snake did not have many warm feelings for Nikita Eirisa (for she didn't have many for him), but he heard something there now. "She used to wear it every day, but a few weeks before I left she just... gave it to me. Said that she didn't need it anymore, that it'd look better on me." It had seemed offhanded then, but now he second-guessed his mother's motives. Had she been passing a legacy to her favored son, or just passing off old junk? He shook his head. "I'm not really sure why I wear it." It was habit, just like how he still had the seashell necklace around his neck.

<style>
.snake b {font-weight:bold; color:#800000; }
.snake .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.snake p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; color:#000000}
.snake {margin:0 auto; width:311px; background-color:#FCDDC1; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... CDDC12.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 175px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#0F475F; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread