Familiar in the Dark
[html]
Sorry about the wait!
WC: 513

There had been a brief silence that seemed to last a long time. At first, the Korean hybrid suspected that her poor use of this language had caused confusion within the other female. But at long last, a reply came. The black-furred hybrid felt at least marginal relief when the other female claimed to understand her thickly accented words. A contented wag of the dark plume, and a soft, curt, “Ohk-keh-i,” was the only manifestation of her thoughts. The white orbs peered at the other with a mild curiosity. This girl was not the same, and did not hold a sadness about her like the other had. To the foreigner, that was a sign that the pack was not cursed by an ethereal sorrow. And indeed, she could see that no such condition existed within the blue eyes of this pack wolf.

The yet-unnamed pack wolf said some words at her, and the black fae had to use much concentration to catch every one—not that she could understand the meaning to every word. But she thought that she understood the meaning of them. “New,” she understood, and “land.” She nodded, the lunar orbs alight as understanding became present. “Oh-keh-i!” the alto song agreed. “Ah-i cuhm pahl ah-weh-i.” A long gesticulation was used to emphasize the length of her journey. Then the pack wolf said something else. “Ing-geu-li-seu?” She had also heard the word “learn.” The black female made the (incorrect) assumption that the other had asked her where she had learned her English. “Wohl-peu peu-ruhm pahl ah-weh-i cuhm end-eu tok me....” That was a difficult sentence to create. The alto song faltered as she tried to think of more accurate words, but to no avail. The white orbs seemed to peer at the other without any sense of shame or embarrassment, but with a simple question held upon her slightly cocked head as she wondered if her point had gone across.

As the brown wolf moved closer, the black fae’s ears pricked forward. The topic seemed to return to her original statement. Nodding once softly in agreement, the black fae took on the pose of one who thought. It was difficult to find ways to express herself such a limited vocabulary. Understanding was a little easier, but not by much. “Meht wol-peu nors,” she explained at length. That was the best she could do at the moment. Knowing that it was not adequate, she turned and pointed north in hopes that the gesture would aid the understanding. A soft sigh escaped the obsidian female, but it was not a sight of frustration. Perhaps it was more a sound of the effort of her mind—a different sort of effort than the work her body was accustomed to doing.

Because she had not understood the true meaning of the stranger’s comment, the black fae then wondered if the other would help her. But all at once, she wondered what the simple lesson could accomplish. Language was such a complicated creation and would take more time than a mere few hours to learn.

<style>
.ykt-simplestuff {margin:0px auto;width:425px;border:1px solid white;-moz-border-radius:10px;-webkit-border-radius:10px;border-radius:10px;background-color:#000000;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9px;color:#f1f1f1;padding:5px;text-align:justify;padding-left:10px;padding-right:10px;}
.ykt-simplestuff b {color:#777777;}
.ykt-simplestuff p {text-indent:25px;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread