Killing ourselves for convenience
WC: 406

When he snarled, Tayui knew it was time to make her exit. Although he had been the one to approach her, she felt as though he should be the one to leave, she could not help but feel there was too much tension in this conversation. She did not join Salsola to seek stress or burden herself with concerns such as these, so she thought it would be best to leave the child-king to his own devices. She could not hear him snarl, but she could see how his body tensed up slightly, how his lips pulled back just enough to flash a bit of white, and how he stopped moving for a split second. She was glad for the warning, but was concerned of the consequences. She didn’t think she had said anything particularly controversial, but then, she supposed her comment about truthfulness and her gentle rejection of his analogy might have put him on edge. As they spoke, Tayui saw that his ego was just as big as Eris’. It would not do if she hurt his ego, for she suspected he was a truly prideful creature. While Tayui knew she was a prideful creature, they were two of a different species.

And of course, her words would have to be only half-truths, because as she had predicted, he could not bear the full explanation. Yes, she was here for many of her own daintily twisted reasons, but she did not expect him to understand. If anything, explaining why she was really here – to follow Eris, to continue spying on Hybrid, and to be honestly left alone where she could become who she needed to be – would only bring more trouble than it was worth. Besides, she had no reason to be following Eris like she did Hybrid. It would only raise questions and she had no answers.

“I don’t want anything, Sirius,” she replied calmly. “I am quite content with simply being who I am. I contribute to this pack like all the others: I attend the meetings and I participate in the suppers and the hunts. I am sorry if you feel otherwise.” She dipped her head, trying not to flinch when he sneered. “I I may, I would like to take my leave now. The afternoon sun is rather hot and I wouldn’t want you to get sick. If I may leave and let you continue you as you were, Sirius.”

Messages In This Thread