fleas, ticks, and other assorted icky pests
Many animals roll in loose dirt as pest control. Or at least that was the explaination I was given as child as to why our various farm animals (cats and dogs included, though it was usually the horses and cats I've noticed doing it the most.) would roll in the finer dirt/dust of the drive ways. I think it works by means of suffocation? At work so can't really research it properly....so treat the info as a wives tale if you wish c:

Edit: Cattle are unable to roll on their backs, but paw up dirt and kick it up on their sides and backs to ward off flies.

Edit Edit: Also after a bit of thought, I think fleas themselves are more of domestic problem and would rarely be seen on an epidemic level in the wild. I have lived in a rural environment for the majority of my life with a great assortment of pets and we never experienced a flea problem. We would occasionally fleas on our cats and dogs yes, but not infestations like you find in a more urban setting simply because I think urban settings allow fleas to reproduce much more effectively.

In general I think that basic hygiene and grooming would keep most external pests at a controllable level. Internal parasites would be a lot harder to prevent and treat though and would based more off of diet, I would think. For example those that prefer a cooked meal would be less likely to have round worms or tape worms than those that prefer their food still raw. I don't know how much of an effect (if any) gutting prey as opposed to eating every last bit would have on tho.

Messages In This Thread