The hunt be my name
I apologize for taking so long. I think this thread is going to be fun. Big Grin

The dark hybrid watched the deer roam across the frosty earth, noticing with pleasure how their sweet eyes watered and strained as they nosed the silvered litter of foliage and fallen leaves. Autumn was one of the best seasons for hunting, another reason she favored it above the others. Prey such as these stupid animals were weakening from the cold and hunger that, with each passing week, sapped the strength of their bodies and their minds.

Dusk sat on her haunches, her slim forelegs stretched out slightly so that she could remain hidden in the shadows. Her pumpkin eyes glittered with the mirth that recently tendered her heart only when she was either actively hunting or planning to do so. She trembled like a carefree child as she examined each of the herd, seeking the creature that would be easiest to kill. Two of the animals eventually took her interest. One was a buck that was languid with sickness, the other a doe that had the comical deformity of stubby limbs. A wicked smile crept across her narrow muzzle.

She would have waited and tracked all day if she had to. But perhaps she would not. Her eyes broke free of the deer to venture where they had many times since she had been here, and she was delighted to see that the silvery figure in the distance had not yet moved from his own post. Silently, she rose to her feet and slipped through the trees toward him. Just as she was drawing near, he turned away from the herd and went in the opposite direction. Puzzled though she was by this, Dusk was unwilling to give up the opportunity for an easier, more thrilling hunt, and she continued to pursue him.

She was almost close enough to startle him, and, innately aware that her kind was not one to startle, she paused and peered after the stranger with his stunning moonlight fur. Her rough bark cracked the silence and ended in a low, rolling growl. Pricked ears captured the yelp he returned. His voice held a note of warning, so Dusk did not move. Instead, she waited for him, her bushy tail twitching.

Messages In This Thread