Magicians and Fools
[html]

Word Count :: 5+

Caspa wasn't concerned about the actual level of Terra's ability. Truthfully, she hadn't seen much of it yet. But the speed of her thought and actions and her predilection towards games of stealth and deception were all she had needed to see to give her the idea. She had always been driven towards being some kind of shepherd of other canines, eager to improve others' lives in any way she could, and so far had not really managed this to any extent, her inhibitions and stringent lifestyle making it hard to go the entertainment road alone. A livewire like Terra was all the reinforcement she would need, if the woman felt eager enough about the idea. She was laughed down at first, as expected, but for different reasons. The coy-wolf still saw herself as an apprentice. But of course there would be a need to learn, practice and improve before the show was ready to roll: that didn't affect the final goal. Caspa felt she had a valid argument, but Terra cut her short before she'd spoken. Was she a mind-reader too?

She began by answering the question, which secretly delighted her. "I could play my part," she answered, sure that she could make herself useful somehow despite her inferior talent. "And yes, of course you probably still have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm sure you could conjure up some simple tricks very quickly." Caspa had an analytical, mechanical mind, and had once been very impressionable - before her personality became utterly set in stone. She didn't really understand how, but she could just see how it could work, how someone with the right flair for distraction and lighting-fast movement might seem to turn reality on its head, because everybody was impressionable and suggestible in some ways, as she had once been to extremes. She was extraordinarily excited about the thought, so much so that it almost showed on her sternly static face with a lift of the brows and parting of dark lips, but it was hard to find the words to explain to Terra. She decided to show her, although of course she could not produce the effect in reality. She lifted a hindpaw and scratched behind her ear absent-mindedly, as if giving herself a couple more seconds to form the thought into words. "You could make somebody doubt reality, just for as long as you wanted. For example, while I was just speaking I have removed my necklace and it is back around your neck, which of course may seem impossible." She hadn't, of course. But she just knew that with the right training and insight, a clever wolf could make this really happen. What she had done was hide the necklace under a forepaw, after flicking it down with her hindleg when scratching the itch. Hopefully, this incongruous motion had gone unnoticed and perhaps for a split-second, Terra would experience for herself the kind of thing Caspa was trying to talk about.

Image courtesy of ®DS @ flickr; Table by the Mentors!

<style>
.K22911_Fred1 .ooc {font-size:12px; font-style:italic;}
.K22911_Fred1 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.K22911_Fred1 b {font-family:verdana; color:#5a6f80; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_Fred1 {background-color:#e7e8e9; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #bcbec1; line-height:16px; width:427px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/899/casx.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:211px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #232312; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_Fred1-border {width:429px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread