Pirates!
I've was thinking it over beforehand and I did say they would dock by Halifax, not exactly in Halifax since I'd have to research that more. My reasoning behind it is that they were attacked by another ship and had to find the closest piece of land for repairs and Halifax would be a pretty big landmark. Their ship would be actually a pretty decent size for about a crew of twenty but more than half of their crew would have been killed. I'm just trying to see who might be interested before I invest to much time hashing everything out.

Edit: Taken from portofhalifax.ca

Quote: Halifax's strategic location, efficient infrastructure and service have made it the preferred connection to Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. A North American gateway to the north eastern United States, Atlantic Canada and beyond.

With our ice-free harbour, deepest berths on the east coast, and ability to accommodate fully laden post-Panamax vessels the Port of Halifax has excellent operating and navigability advantages.
Quote: For over 250 years the Port of Halifax has remained a cornerstone of economic activity for the city, the region and the province as a whole. The Port's strategic location made Halifax an ideal Gateway into North America for settlers and shippers and a perfect vantage point for military operations.
The ship would be a pirate merchant carrier, which is a fast ship with maybe enough guns for the original size of their crew or a Chinese junk which is essentially the same type of ship but using bamboo sails.

Messages In This Thread