Alligators in Canada
I am working on the concept of my character, Elias, who initially comes from New Orleans. I have recently decided that I wish for him to have a companion in either the form of a raccoon or an alligator. Now for simplicities sake I’m leaning towards the raccoon, but I haven’t entirely discarded the idea of having an alligator following him either. I know what you’re thinking: Alligators in Canada? Before you discard this idea offhand as being foolish understand that I have done my research, and alligators are much sturdier then you might believe, existing as far north as southern North Carolina.

As coldblooded they can’t survive in cold places, and during the winters they hibernate underground in “gator holes”, as they are unable to hunt efficiently for food. The winters in Canada are obviously far too cold for an alligator to normally survive, but what if my character was to intercede, constructing a habitat warm enough for the alligator to hibernate in during the winters. I don’t believe that there are any major hindrances to an alligator’s existence in Nova Scotia other than the winter, as there are a variety of wetlands and small lakes scattered around the landscape, and a variety of fauna sufficient to help sustain such creatures. So my question is twofold.

Firstly I would like the opinions of others on the likelihood of an alligator surviving in Canada, even with the support of my character. Secondly, I would like opinions on how my character could go about creating an underground environment warm enough to sustain an alligator through the winter. Depending on the reviews I get here I may just scrap the idea altogether and just go with the raccoon.

Messages In This Thread