Building a Kiln?
So, I'm looking into the Craftsmen ranks in Anathema for when Drakien joins, thinking he could become a metalsmith of some sort, but after talking to my mom, who used to make jewelry, she explained I'd need a kiln of some kind in order to melt the metal. I looked it up, and the kiln itself actually seems really useful, so I was wondering how one might go about realistically building one in the 'Soulsverse?

A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, or oven, in which a controlled temperature regime is produced. It's uses include drying green lumber so that it can be used immediately, drying wood for use as firewood, drying of tobacco leaves, drying malted barley and hops for use of brewing, smelting ore to extract metal, heating wood to the point of pyrolysis to create charcoal, and several other things.

There were pictures of kilns made out of bricks and metal, but there's a pueblo not far from where I live that has adobe ovens, which Mom says could also have been used as kilns, to fire pottery, bake clay, etc. I guess my question is, does the soil in Nova Scotia produce large amounts of clay? Would it be possible to build a kiln out of clay in Canada, or would foraging for bricks be possible? The brick-thing didn't seem all that plausible to me, because with the buildings decaying the bricks they'd be taking wouldn't exactly be stable, and they'd still need some sort of sealant.

With the building of the kiln, I'd be going for something like this, sort of roughly strewn together and with piles of rocks to block the entrance and keep the heat in. I was also told it could be built to be somewhat elevated, so that there could be a fire kept beneath it as well as the small fire within, for varying heat temperatures? I'd have to look that up more, though, as this was just a short venture into la-la-land that I thought might have some usefulness in the reality that is 'Soulsverse.

Messages In This Thread