Building a Kiln?
So, I'm looking into the Craftsmen ranks in Anathema for when Drakien joins, thinking he could become a metalsmith of some sort, but after talking to my mom, who used to make jewelry, she explained I'd need a kiln of some kind in order to melt the metal. I looked it up, and the kiln itself actually seems really useful, so I was wondering how one might go about realistically building one in the 'Soulsverse?

A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, or oven, in which a controlled temperature regime is produced. It's uses include drying green lumber so that it can be used immediately, drying wood for use as firewood, drying of tobacco leaves, drying malted barley and hops for use of brewing, smelting ore to extract metal, heating wood to the point of pyrolysis to create charcoal, and several other things.

There were pictures of kilns made out of bricks and metal, but there's a pueblo not far from where I live that has adobe ovens, which Mom says could also have been used as kilns, to fire pottery, bake clay, etc. I guess my question is, does the soil in Nova Scotia produce large amounts of clay? Would it be possible to build a kiln out of clay in Canada, or would foraging for bricks be possible? The brick-thing didn't seem all that plausible to me, because with the buildings decaying the bricks they'd be taking wouldn't exactly be stable, and they'd still need some sort of sealant.

With the building of the kiln, I'd be going for something like this, sort of roughly strewn together and with piles of rocks to block the entrance and keep the heat in. I was also told it could be built to be somewhat elevated, so that there could be a fire kept beneath it as well as the small fire within, for varying heat temperatures? I'd have to look that up more, though, as this was just a short venture into la-la-land that I thought might have some usefulness in the reality that is 'Soulsverse.
Um, bumping this...
I'd say it's entirely possible that there would be clay in the territory, especially around Anathema since it's pretty rocky, and I remember as a kid finding clay under the stony layer in the sandbox. I'm sure it'd be easy enough to find the clay though I would do some research on clay itself. OR wing it. Or have it imported (expensively) from Freetown or something.
Yeah, I remember finding clay too! Wherever I went digging past the harder layers of sand, really, but I wasn't sure if that was just the area I was in or if the clay could be found anywhere. xD I'll have to look it up more. Thanks, Gen!
I would think it's entirely possible. You would probably need to figure out what sort of fuel you'd use for the fire, as well as where to best build such a contraption; AT is close to the coast and under/on a mountain, so keep things like that in mind when looking for a place to do so.
Close, it is actually in New Brunswick or on Prince Edward Island.

Quote:Clay is an abundant raw material with a wide variety of uses and properties that is mined in all provinces except Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Manitoba.

Or wait... found some in Nova Scotia...

Quote:Nova Scotia

Shaw Brick (a member of The Shaw Group Limited) extracts clay from pits at Lantz, Milford, and Shubenacadie, all in Hants County, and shale from quarries located in Hardwood Lands, Hants County; and New Glasgow, Pictou County. These materials are used in the company’s plant in Lantz for the manufacture of bricks and other clay products.

Looks like you may need to speak with InH to get some clay since if I remember right they have New Glasglow.
Well, I was thinking once Drakien somehow got it into his head to build a kiln, he'd invest in a wagon, in order to carry the clay back and forth. So he'd be able to go out and get firewood from the Dampwoods, which are fairly close, and fill a wagon with wood for the fires in Anathema...And if the kiln were made out of clay, it in itself would have to be baked, so it wouldn't be able to be underground in the caves, but would have to be somewhere on the coast or in the valley on the other side of the mountains. I think situating it on the coast far back from the water would be the best bet, because then the fires could be put out easily and they couldn't, somehow, spread and cause wildfires. xD

Uumm, doesn't that say the clay can be found everywhere except New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems to be what you're quoting...

That bit about some sort of mine being in New Glasglow is helpful, though, so he won't have to spend months just digging in an attempt to get enough clay...although isn't New Glasglow part of a pack territory? I don't remember....

Oh that's right, it's in InH. xD Thanks, Bastion!
I somehow missed the except... this is what I get for trying to skim and watch TV at the same time.
lolol reading and watching TV is hard, even if you're skimming. xD

I can't really find anything on actually mining clay, only what to do with it after you actually have it, so I'm just gonna wing it before I get to a certain point lol. Thanks for all your help, guys! Big Grin
We gotz clay. Come visit!
Here, didn't read it all but it tells about digging clay and stuff. And... some sort of video that I can't watch as I don't have a sound card but it may help since it says it explains about digging up clay.
Okay, I went through and found the government websites that have reports on the ENTIRE soil composition of Nova Scotia. I scanned them a little and the answer to your question is yes, you can find clay in Nova Scotia. You will need to research clay because there is more than one type and each type has its own unique qualities. I know its wordy and long but there are pictures to give you an idea of what you are looking for as well as descriptions of each soil type.
http://gov.ns.ca/natr/forestry/reports/NS-Soils.pdf

The next website has maps that you can download on the soils types of each county in Nova Scotia so you can find out exactly where the clay can be found. As well as any other soil type you might be interested in.

http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/publications/s...s/ns/index.html

These are both scientific documents so they are written assuming other scientists will be reading them. They are also written assuming those scientists know nothing about soil, so thats the plus side. I hope that these are helpful too you.
/Would live in Canada if she could derp

Those sites are really helpful, thanks guys! I've got a basic plan sketched out now, all I have to do is set it in motion now. There's not really much more I need to know, I'm just gonna wing it from here. It's more fun that way. ^^