A Bit Too Far
OOC - Anyone that wants to reply, go for it, eager for Kace to get socialized! Thanks!

Kace Grey's furry paws emerged from her den, stretching her small body forward. A yawn erupted from her maw and she trotted out, a slight breeze ruffling her white mane. She sat in the grass, absentmindedly obliterating an itch behind her left ear with her left hind leg. A whine of content rose in her throat and she yawned again, then bounced to her legs, a wolfish smile teasing her muzzle as her tail wagged back and forth eagerly.

The small den, if you could call it that, was merely a hole dug out from under a Witch Hazel bush. Perhaps it had been occupied previously by another small creature, Kace wasn't sure, nor did it matter. Her small size allowed her to comfortably curl up into a sleeping position inside the small crevice, well, when she did decide to sleep. The pup's boundless energy almost deprived her of dreams, but every now and then she did become exhausted from a day's excursions. The grove of Witch Hazel plants was perhaps five miles from the coast, a good ten miles from either pack land to the west and northeast. Kace had heard Jeera refer to the land as Shiloh Hills, and the sea to the south was the Atlantic.

As the young pup continued to prance out into the open, halfheartedly chasing a bird here and there, another beast crept behind the row of bushes. The creature licked her lips and let out a soft purr, and at almost twice the size of the little wolf, she happily prepared to pounce her prey. Kace, oblivious to the presence eying her, turned her back, and the larger animal leaped.

Ah! Jeera! Kace squealed, half giggling, half fighting to catch her breath. The white pup rolled out from under the grasp of the large Canadian Lynx, Jeera, the pup's guardian. Jeera's silver and mahogany fur was still thick from the previous winter. A coy smile emerged on her lips and she nonchalantly licked her paws.

Kace, be aware you young thing. How many times must I tell you that you can't take for granted your safety here. The cat let out a yawn of her own and paced around the pup.

I know, I know, came the impatient reply, but I just woke up! I was having -

Jeera cut Kace short with a quiet growl and a shake of her head. Just woke up or not, you must always be aware of your surroundings. Next time it won't be a friendly Lynx waiting to tackle your sorry hide.

Kace responded with an eye roll, then rose to her paws again and shook her fur. Okay, fine, I'll be aware. Are we going hunting today!? Kace asked eagerly, lowering her front paws, watching her mentor with a gleam in her eye.

Jeera replied without meeting the eyes of her young charge. I am going to go hunting. YOU are going to go hunting. There is no 'we', today, little one. And since a wolf cannot survive simply on fish, head north. Jeera acknowledged the direction with a slight nod of her head. Kace groaned and rolled over on her back, her eagerness suddenly gone.

But what am I supposed to hunt? Birds, squirrels, chipmunks? the young one whined.

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to hunt. No fish today, not until you bring some mammalian carcass back to this den. North, or perhaps west, will be your best bet. But remember that there are pack lands in the vicinity. If you choose north, do not go beyond the lake. If I catch you there I'll have your innards in my belly, Kace. I mean it, packs mean business, do not intrude upon their lands. Jeera's green, hazel eyes met Kace's golden tinted ones. The pup blinked in response and nodded slowly.

I won't go passed the lake, Jeera. I'll meet you back here in the evening? Kace said softly, her confidence slowly ebbing away.

Yes, or before if you catch something sooner. Don't rush, take your time, stay as hidden as your albino self can. I have business to attend to, little one. Be safe and guard your rear. The cat rested a paw on Kace's head for a moment, flexed her leg muscles, then launched to the southeast of the den, leaving Kace to her own devices. The puppy sighed heavily, a sound of despair escaping her throat. With her head down and tail half between her legs, she journeyed northward, keeping to the underbrush as she could.

Messages In This Thread