A Bit Too Far
The baby pup just giggled at his huffiness. It was something Kace had seen Kolt do when the two wrestled and she won. Kolt would puff out his chest, a low growl to threaten a rematch. But, this larger wolf was not Kolt, and she tried to remind herself of this. In response to his jest, Kace just smirked. Rabbit...please, they taste good, if you can catch them! She thought for a moment, then added, but my favorite is fish! Sometimes, Jeera and I go to the sea and she shows me how to get them! I like to fish, the water is fun even if it can get cold, but fish are better because they taste like salt from the sea! Kace's words were hurried and excited, but she did not realize she spoke Jeera's name, something the cat had instructed her not to do for protective purposes.

Oblivious to anything she might have uttered, she bounced up to the bigger wolf and giggled again. Mister Yellow Wolf, I don't know if you noticed, but there isn't exactly anyone else out here, and unless you plan on eating me I don't think I'll get ate. The white pup rolled over on her back, placing a paw on her nose as she continued to roll in laughter, but then she paused, her thoughts distracting her. This wolf showed some sort of concern for her. Aside from her parents, brother, and Jeera, Kace had never spoken to anyone. She had heard stories of how her father had been in battles, great wars fought with his pack. Stories of how her mother had raised great wolflings, Kace's brothers and sisters, much older than her, who had gone on to find their own way in life. Brax and Senna taught their two youngest little ones the camaraderie that could be found in a pack.

And then there was the raid. Kace's golden eyes blinked, and within five seconds, her memories had replayed the horrible morning as if it were yesterday...Perhaps five or six days ago, Kace had taken to pushing the memory back into the recesses of her mind, but this flashback was inevitable.

Kace, get down, muttered the cat, shoveling the young pup into a hole in the ground. Don't make a sound. Jeera patted the pup's nose and sauntered off, apparently in quite a hurry. Kace blinked, confused. Jeera had pushed her under a thick bush of barberries. Her tail flicked a branch and the morning dew chimed around her. There was no noise, even the rustling of Jeera's slithering was gone. Kace blinked again, then looked around, searching for her black furball of a brother. Kolt... she whispered. She dare not try again, disobeying Jeera was not something Mother appreciated. Then, suddenly, to disrupt the unusual quiet was a long, powerful howl. It was foreign to Kace; in response she backed further into the bush. The next noise she heard was that of her Father's. He spoke in a tongue that the scared white wolf could not comprehend. It was Father, she was sure, but the words he used were harsh, his tone demanding. It was unlike him.

Then there was a growl, a snarl, and a yelp. Mother. The yelp was from her mother. More growling and snarling. Kace gathered a fight was brewing but with who, she could not say. She did not know. Another yelp from Mother; Kace's eyes watered and she fought desperately to hold back a whine. It was as if the surrounding bushes were set ablaze with the fight, even though Kace could not see it. She longed for the companionship of her brother. His larger figure would shield her snow white fur. A hiss punctured the air, followed by a long yowl. Jeera. A yelp from an unknown wolf, a second that Kace could tell, the voice was different than the one that howled. Another cry, of terrible pain, arose from Mother. The next sound was a very loud, authoritative howl. Father. The howl was followed by a grunt, a growl, a thud, and then silence.

Kace did not possess the ability to tell time. Her mind wandered to safety, curled up next to Kolt and Mother, Father going on about his stories, Jeera perched lazily in a tree...It was mere moments before Jeera reappeared, red liquid smeared along her face, paws, and left flank. She urged Kace to move, eastward of her home. Jeera instructed her not to look back.

Kace snapped back to reality. The flashback had occurred in her head as a long two hour morning, but had taken seconds in front of her new...friend, as she had naively began to call him in her head. She shook her head, rolled back to her feet, and managed a smile at the yellow wolf. What's your favorite food? she asked, blinking again in an effort to suppress her memories.

Messages In This Thread