A Bit Too Far
OOC ~ I love responding to emotion, even if I'm not the best at it I love replying to it so no worries Big Grin

Jeera released a long, tired sigh after observing Skoll's instinctive reactions. Those motions, some subtle, some rather obvious, had much more meaning to the cat than it did to the young Kace, who had not learned much about pack behavior. She watched Kace's eyes grow large at the sight of Skoll's shifting, a phenomena the little one had not even had the chance of witnessing her parents perform. Her jaw almost squeaked on its hinges, but snapped shut suddenly at the golden wolf's words; words that brought another smile and snicker to the spirits of the white wolf.

The lynx realized that Kace lacked the knowledge and perhaps the even capability to comprehend the severity of her situation. To the pup, there was nothing odd about a lynx raising a puppy. Neither had a family, neither had any other companion. The lynx would be fine. Solitude was shelter for Jeera. Her inability to produce kits left her lacking in the mate department of life but with her independent nature it made no difference to her. Kace, however, filled so much of a missing puzzle piece that Jeera did not even know was missing. The day after the fight, Jeera had taken the pup miles southwest of her old home in an attempt to make her forget what happened. But, Jeera knew that it could not be forgotten, and until Kace could reach a reasonable age, she would not understand the deaths of her parents no more than she could not possibly understand the oddity of a lynx and wolf pup hunting together.

Skoll's babbled words almost made no sense to the cat, her mind had wandered off to the welfare of Kace Grey, the little yellow eyed, white wolf baby she loved so dearly. Jeera herself had had no contact with a pack. She realized, as the boy had shifted, how young he truly was. How innocent his heart was, and how pure his words were. Even in her life it was rare for Jeera to come across the beauty of innocence...maybe for the same reason her mind was fumbling with the idea of what to say or do in regards to Kace. She just had not fathomed a chance occurence would possibly spirit the young wolf away from her, perhaps never to be seen by the cat again.

However, if it was one thing Jeera was, it was logical. Her thoughts snapped back to reality and she purred loudly in an effort to calm herself. She nodded in agreement with the Cour des Miracles pack member. Even though he was young, his words were accurate. To the extent, Jeera believed he did not realize. In truth Jeera had expected Kace to be gone much later, the two live a secretive life, until she decided to roam on her own. She imagined if Kace were taken to the pack, surely a lynx would be unwelcomed. With this in mind, she chose her words carefully, trying to remember that the other wolf was still very much a child in his own right.

Your words ring truer than you can imagine, my friend. The cat's tail teased the nose of young Kace, who in turn played enthusiastically with the swaying thing, paying no heed to Jeera's words. Her family was taken from her...and I admit that this wild is no place for a pup her size, age, even her color... She let out a sigh, her eyes shifting to the pup. No matter how beautiful it may be.

However...she and I both realize we could not stay together, just us, forever. The days we have had...I'll always cherish them...but what if your pack were not so welcoming to her? She has no history of her family...no knowledge of her heritage, her ancestry...I can tell you her mother was an Arctic Wolf...her father Italian. She knows their names, and where they came from, but not their story. I am unfamiliar with pack laws and workings. What if you were to teach her? You are the first canine she has had contact with in more than ten days. Her spirit is not unabashed by her losses, as you see, but even as I care for her...
Jeera swallowed with a bit of difficulty, her voice cracking slightly. We all must part ways some time. With this, Kace 's ears twitched and she bounced over to the cat.

Aw, Jeera! No one's ever gone forever! You even told me that when they took mom and dad! And Kolt! We don't know what happened to him! And you'll always be around...like you were tonight, right? Kace's words caused the lynx to suppress a whine of dispair. She coughed, as if to pretend a hairball was emerging. Had the wolves been older her ruse would have been caught immediately. I love you, Jeera. Kace looked up expectantly at her, bushy white tail wagging in anticipation.

I...love you too, little one... Jeera looked down at her, oblivious to the other wolf at this point. The cat licked the pup's forehead and purred again, her furry cheeks brushing the ears of Kace. Skoll...you are a brave, young soul, and I'd never expect such a young prince to be so mature. Jeera sighed again and looked up at him. I dare not ask you unless you are sure she will be safe...would your pack...accept her? I will most certainly...watch from a distance, for a while, at least...maybe, when she is older, or the two of you venture out...will meet again. I imagine that you, young Skoll, enjoy your excursions? Jeera managed a smile and nuzzled Kace, still half ignoring the wolf. Her heart ached but the chance to find Kace a home made her warm with content.

Messages In This Thread