A Bit Too Far
[html]
My cold dark tower seems so bright

Word Count :: 500

There was a subtle nod in response to his words, and Skoll realized when she spoke that he had been holding his breath; air went into his tensed body with a loud gulp as he forced himself to relax. This situation had changed greatly from how he thought it would be from the first time the puppy opened her mouth and addressed him with the words of an adult. It was all too easy to see that she still was the baby he’d said she was as she played blissfully with the short tail of her lynx caretaker.

Hesitantly, the boy lowered himself to his haunches when the cat spoke, instinctively knowing that she would have a lot to say. She conceded the point that this wilderness was too dangerous for a two-month-old cub, but when she began to speak of his pack, his ears came up and his face became alert. It’d perhaps always been in the back of his mind that he was responsible for hauling the younger child back to his beloved Kingdom, where his mom and daddy and Terra and Caspa and Strel and Alder and all the other Courtiers could take care of her.

He opened his mouth to protest, about to blurt out that of course they would welcome the pup and he’d make double-sure of it, but Jeera did not halt in her speech to give him a chance. All he could do was give a nod here and there, the little bobs of his head increasing in intensity with his conviction. He was maybe too young to teach anyone a lot of anything, but maybe this was his first chance as a newly-shifted pack member to prove himself. He’d always been able to run and play and learn at his leisure, but this was a newfound responsibility. He was already the first of his siblings to change shape, so maybe he could continue to distinguish himself.

Green eyes turned shyly away from the pair’s interaction, but they snapped back to the feline’s as she addressed him directly. He didn’t even swell up when she complimented him, as somehow he knew this matter was too important for petty preening.

“I—yes,” the prince stammered out. “The Court is good and the members are nice and the King wouldn’t turn away a puppy. We—we’ll take care of her!” This promise burst forth from his chest like a malformed eagle. “And I’ll tell ’em about you, so they don’t try to hurt you, and maybe you can come sometime. But we can go in the hills and find you too.” He frowned and looked away, not sure what else needed to be addressed. “Pack’s not far away, I mean… Do you… Do you want to come now? You can hide and watch? I promise, Jeera, I promise she’ll have a good safe family.”

A family. His family. The golden-furred boy would share all he could with this little golden-eyed girl to ensure her wellbeing.

I swear it must be heaven's light

Image courtesy of night-fate-stock & SunOwl

<style>
.GR2_Skoll p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Skoll b {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:0px solid #9fb8b6; }
.GR2_Skoll .top {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; line-height:20px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
.GR2_Skoll .bottom {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6238/skoll2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 250px 15px; }
.GR2_Skoll .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Condiment; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:51px;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread