A Bit Too Far
[html]
My cold dark tower seems so bright

Word Count :: 435 PMed you. Smile And last post for this, I think; you can ask in the Maintenance Thread for this to be archived once you've read!

Skoll smiled at the puppy’s question. He knew that different packs had different names for their ranks, and while a child of an alpha in one pack might be in a lofty position, even one to inherit the throne, the Court was not like that. Or, well, he didn’t think so; he wasn’t treated any differently than any other child would be, although the pack members were careful to take care of him. A good king thought himself no better than his subjects—that was what he had been taught and what he held as a great ideal.

“Just ’cause I’m a prince don’t mean anything,” the boy said, “and sometimes they call the puppies rank prince and princess!” He saw a difference between that title and his, for he would always be a prince in the family sense even when he grew into an adult rank. “So you’ll be a princess anyway, even if you’re not a king-daughter,” he teased, hoping to poke her with his silver-scarred black nose.

Jeera spoke to him again, and he looked out across at the hills, sniffing for the scent of salt from the coast. “Won’t be far away,” he said, smiling. He was beginning to grow excited about the prospect of recruiting his very first member for the pack, though it was for Kace’s safety more than anything else. He nodded at the lynx to promise that they’d see each other again, as despite the cat’s intentions, he didn’t really want to separate puppy and guardian. Really, he could forget Jeera was a feline anyway.

His tail flopped on the ground, pinned underneath a small white body, and he twisted around to look at her. He beamed at her stream of questions, responding with a stream of answers. “We got horses! Alder’s the Marshal, he takes care of ’em, and I’m gonna learn to ride them soon and you can come visit them with me too! And they’re really big, but they’re nice like Alder, and I got books and we can get Robin to teach us how to read better, but I can read a little bit.” He grinned and batted at her. “Fish for deer is a good trade.” He couldn’t wait!

He wrinkled his nose when Jeera spoke again, but his bright expression faded into something somber but no less warm. He nodded solemnly and watched the pair’s last embrace of sorts before Kace bounded along and tugged on his leg in an effort for him to move.

“Okay, okay,” Skoll Haskel giggled as he began to walk. “Follow me! To Cour des Miracles!”

I swear it must be heaven's light

Image courtesy of night-fate-stock & SunOwl

<style>
.GR2_Skoll p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Skoll b {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:0px solid #9fb8b6; }
.GR2_Skoll .top {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; line-height:20px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
.GR2_Skoll .bottom {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6238/skoll2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 250px 15px; }
.GR2_Skoll .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Condiment; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:51px;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread