J- A home without a swamp is still a home
Toke was startled, to say the least. He has seen horses, here and there, is his time. He had seen them and wondered what they would taste like and lamented that he had no pack to help him find out.
But he had never seen someone ride a horse. He tried to hide his surprise, fearing to seem disrespectful. No matter how she approached, or how many feet she chose to walk on, this one smelled of strength. This was the Head. He lowered his eyes, tucked his tail, and bowed his ears. Well, the right ear, anyway. The left ear was so scarred, it didn't flex like it should. He hoped she didn't notice.

I've been a long time walking, Miss. A real long time. I'm from real far away to the south. I had to leave my home, on account of I got the wolf fever. I don't know what it's called here. It means I'm like you, Miss. I can change and all. Walk on two legs instead of four like I am now.

In his family pack, the yella' dogs only bow like this if they're in trouble. He knew every pack was different, and this was the polite way to meet a new Head, but it still made him feel like he'd only seen three moons turn and he was about to get in trouble with his mama. His paw was still bleeding where he'd bitten himself for the crow's sake.

When I crossed over the landbridge a few days back, it seemed like I was smelling a new pack every mile. I thought about stopping at them all, but...I'm a superstitious type, Miss. And not a one of them other packs came with a sign, if you know what I mean. When I got here, I seen that crow right up there. In the ninth branch from the ground, and his head all cocked over to the left. That's good mojo. I'd like to join, if you'd have me. Miss. He lowered his head until the tip of his nose touched the ground.

Messages In This Thread